Stage Select

The Metroid Thread: The E.M.M.I. just want a hug! (Dread Available Now)

Welp, I just spoiled Samus Returns for myself looking at this, ima still beat it by the time Dread comes out tho 😂

I also see the Emmi aren't quite an insta-kill if you time your attack right before it guts you. Hoping it's a really strick window and they have a bunch different kill animations so it doesn't ever become easy escaping them 

Edited by HD-Man
7 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Welp, I just spoiled Samus Returns for myself looking at this, ima still beat it by the time Dread comes out tho 😂

I also see the Emmi aren't quite an insta-kill if you time your attack right before it guts you. Hoping it's a really strick window and they have a bunch different kill animations so it doesn't ever become easy escaping them 

Both have been confirmed on the Treehouse. The in-game text for the EMMI counter says that it's a very short counter period and that it's really a last-resort that you can't count on. The animations have different timings as well depending on cutscene.

5 minutes ago, Volt said:

Both have been confirmed on the Treehouse. The in-game text for the EMMI counter says that it's a very short counter period and that it's really a last-resort that you can't count on. The animations have different timings as well depending on cutscene.

Awesome, this game is literally everything I want in a Metroid title. Like, I don't think ppl understand how hype I am for this, I been speaking to my cousin about a Fusion sequel for almost 20 years. If I didn't already have a Switch, I'd have bought one for this 😂

19 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Awesome, this game is literally everything I want in a Metroid title. Like, I don't think ppl understand how hype I am for this, I been speaking to my cousin about a Fusion sequel for almost 20 years. If I didn't already have a Switch, I'd have bought one for this 😂

Only thing I'm still a bit worried about is how unga the Melee Counter is this time, but most enemies seem to have less of a pause before attacking compared to Samus Returns. Compare that stuff:

So basically, you get the counter flash as they attack on Dread, not before they attack. So while the Melee Counter still looks hella busted, Dash Melee is a legit attack, which I appreciate, and enemies aren't sitting ducks for actually trying to attack. This game looks a lot more fast-paced than SR, I appreciate that.

5 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I appreciate that the melee counter can be done on the move. Having to stay still for it was lame. 

It really was. SR was kinda weird for it.

On the other hand, dashing up with that upper with good damage, little recovery and parrying frames is TOTSUGEKI levels of unga. 🤣

My only issue was the 3DS itself. Its too small and cramped for a high octane experience so i think the way the counter worked there was fine because the control and viewing tools for the game where kinda trash. On Switch I would expect them to tighten all that shit up for a real controller and TV screen., 

17 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

How do you guys want Nintendo to handle this game's story? As a fan of Fusion, I wouldn't mind if game handled it how that game did. Samus interacting with the Adam AI and having a bunch of environmental story telling. I like it when Samus can show some character. As long as they don't do some Other M shit.

Sadly, Prime's scan visor ain't an option, but so far, they got Adam and Samus interacting + their amazing environmental storytelling.

I think they'll make it work well, Fusion was really nice.

15 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I never played the prime games but I imagine having to scan every single thing would be a chore.

It's not mandatory. That's the beauty of it. Most of the stuff doesn't even count for the Logbook and the ones that do are easy to spot (They get different colors/icons on the Scan Visor)

You can literally opt out of it and not have it intrude on the gameplay, or you can dive deep in the environmental storytelling and lore.

The Prime Trilogy legit made me look differently at games. All these nonsense tutorials and forced cutscenes look even worse when you know there's a better way to do all of that. Trilogy gets insane replayability off that alone because the logbook is saved between runs, so you can just cut to the chase even if you took the scenic route before. (Also helps if you were just shy of 100%.)

13 minutes ago, Volt said:

It's not mandatory.

Unless you want 100% and the "good" ending then yes it absolutly is, which is why it can take a hike imo. It makes repeat play through a fucking choooooore. Maybe that shit carries over in the re-releases but it did not on GameCube and it was awful. 

Don't tie it to completetion and I won't have an issue with it. 

Edited by RSG3

This game got me so hyped I'm gonna Marathon the old games. Starting with Super Metroid. While I've played this game multiple times I don't think I ever actually finished this game. 

Playing this again some aspects of this game didn't age well like weapon selection, how the wall jump works and the run button. I'm still having a blast with it.

26 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

This game got me so hyped I'm gonna Marathon the old games.

Man I'd like to do the same thing, but start with Zero Mission. Problem is I don't have the game so I'd have to figure out some alternative means to play retro GBA games. It'd be nice if Nintendo just released them to Virtual Console or whatever the fuck it's called now- the games catalog that comes with Nintendo Online and whatall.

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

Man I'd like to do the same thing, but start with Zero Mission. Problem is I don't have the game so I'd have to figure out some alternative means to play retro GBA games. It'd be nice if Nintendo just released them to Virtual Console or whatever the fuck it's called now- the games catalog that comes with Nintendo Online and whatall.

Nintendo online is how I'm playing Super Metroid. 

Zero Mission is on the Wii U virtual console. Sailing the high seas is your best option.

26 minutes ago, Wellman said:

But they would give me so much more of a reason for people to get the online service if they even just made more of an effort to get the portable games they own on their for folk to experience.

It would also generate hype for stuff like Metroid 5, and therefore more sales. 

You guys think the Prime trilogy will get a Switch port before Prime 4? It seems like a big oversight not to.

37 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I hope they port the Prime games. I never played them. 

Former retro games dev’s who worked on the primes said porting all three into one game card would be next to impossible to do.

BUT if it did happen it would be due to Retro having unwavering support from Nintendo when it came to the collection. iE a shit ton of resources being available to them

Edited by iStu X
7 hours ago, iStu X said:

Former retro games dev’s who worked on the primes said porting all three into one game card would be next to impossible to do.

More like they don't want to try. Every Game Cube game is the exact same size on disk. The Wii Prime 3 works on a similar system to the GC.

Make the 3 similar games share asset files and don't use the smallest size cart for Switch games and it should work. 

7 hours ago, iStu X said:

And after what CDPR did to Witcher 3 on Switch he is clearly full of shit. Would take work, but "Next to impossible"?

I call bullshit. 

13 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I played through a chunk of Zero Mission this weekend. About to get in Tourian.

Not looking forward to getting the big succ from Metroids...

10 hours ago, Chadouken said:

It would also generate hype for stuff like Metroid 5, and therefore more sales. 

You guys think the Prime trilogy will get a Switch port before Prime 4? It seems like a big oversight not to.

I'm gonna bet that they'll cook up a port as soon as the first Prime 4 trailer drops to keep people waiting.

1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

More like they don't want to try. Every Game Cube game is the exact same size on disk. The Wii Prime 3 works on a similar system to the GC.

Make the 3 similar games share asset files and don't use the smallest size cart for Switch games and it should work. 

Even more baffling.

They did that shit. ON THE WII. And then ported it to the Wii U.

These motherfuckers are pulling off a Palpatine.

2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I don’t disagree but Not everyone is CDPR and not everyone is Sabretooth Games or panic button. 

Sure they aren't, but those two exist meaning it isn't "Next to impossible."

Just say you don't know how. Don't lie just because you lack the engineers needed to get it done. 

"They said it was impossible" and then Iwata crammed two whole Pokemon maps into one cart by writing new compression tools. 

People who say something is impossible are generally people who gave up before they even tried. 

42 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Sure they aren't, but those two exist meaning it isn't "Next to impossible."

Just say you don't know how. Don't lie just because you lack the engineers needed to get it done. 

"They said it was impossible" and then Iwata crammed two whole Pokemon maps into one cart by writing new compression tools. 

People who say something is impossible are generally people who gave up before they even tried. 

I mean, I get that but I feel like “yeah but Witcher”  or “yeah but doom” shouldn’t be the automatic response as I feel that isn’t fair.  There’s a lot of reasons why a port/compilation can’t happen or is way more difficult than it seems like it would be. 

even CDPR were like “we have no fucking clue how sabertooth games did it” Bethesda had a similar response with Doom on Switch. 

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, Volt said:

They did that shit. ON THE WII. And then ported it to the Wii U.

Ain't no soul that can convince me they can't fit a port of a Wii game in a Switch Cart. Especially since said game has been already ported to another console.

Can't even use the controls as an excuse because JoyCons can work pretty similarly if not even better.

Guess that explains why they're former Retro devs instead of current ones tho...

Wait, are they claiming they can't fit a SINGLE Prime game on a Switch card? I thought y'all were talking about fitting ALL THREE in a collection on one card. To which I suggested splitting them up. Maybe put 1 and 2 on one card and 3 on another or some shit.

But if they're claiming they can't fit a single Prime game on a card then that's straight bullshit. They put Mario Galaxy and Sunshine on a single cart (with upscaled resolution). 

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

Wait, are they claiming they can't fit a SINGLE Prime game on a Switch card? I thought y'all were talking about fitting ALL THREE in a collection on one card. To which I suggested splitting them up. Maybe put 1 and 2 on one card and 3 on another or some shit.

But if they're claiming they can't fit a single Prime game on a card then that's straight bullshit. They put Mario Galaxy and Sunshine on a single cart (with upscaled resolution). 

Nah, it's all three.

Still ridiculous tho. How you gon make it work on the Wii but not on the Switch?

It's unrealistic to even think about a way a Wii Disc would be superior to a Switch Cart storage-wise.

20 minutes ago, Camacho said:

I think the challenge was more for MP3's control inputs vs the switch's controllers (which would also hamper the straight port of the wii trilogy that added motion controls to MP1 and 2). Switch cart storage has to be a lot hire than a freaking wii DVD's storage.

Switch carts can be up to 18 times as large as the Wii MiniDVD discs. Although their is supposedly a 64GB card, but no one has used it. Biggest used thus far is 32GB. The Witcher 3, Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 (Japan), and Final Fantasy X/X-2 (Asia) are the only 32GB cards I can think off the top of my head. Coincidentally I own two of the 3, (Witcher and FFX/X-2)

42 minutes ago, Camacho said:

I think the challenge was more for MP3's control inputs vs the switch's controllers (which would also hamper the straight port of the wii trilogy that added motion controls to MP1 and 2). Switch cart storage has to be a lot hire than a freaking wii DVD's storage.

That's not what Stu's post mentioned. The quote is about how they wouldn't be able to fit it all in a single cart, which is obviously bullshit.

Speaking of bullshit, not looking to fighting Mogenar on Prime 3 again.

Thing is so much of a damage sponge that my trigger finger legit got tired. Ridiculous stuff bro.

I finished Super Metriod. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I actually finished this game. The times I use to play this game I remember stopping when I got to the noob bridge, getting stuck at the spots where I need to use the boost jump and wall jump, or when I had no idea to how to proceed. Finished in 5 hours with a 68% completion rating. 

On to Fusion.

18 hours ago, Camacho said:

I think the challenge was more for MP3's control inputs vs the switch's controllers (which would also hamper the straight port of the wii trilogy that added motion controls to MP1 and 2). Switch cart storage has to be a lot higher than a freaking wii DVD's storage.

Yeah, it isn't the size but the complexity of adapting the controls.

That being said, I fall on the side calling it BS as well because we have been getting Switch ports with bootleg motion controls since it launched. Plus Skyward Sword is getting a port, if they can redo Skyward Sword to gyro, buttons and sticks then MP3 and Trilogy is doable. 

But just like that Mass Effect DLC they left off Legendary Edition, it really does rely on whether Nintendo is willing to pay and has the folk capable of not botching the whole thing.

On 6/21/2021 at 12:34 PM, iStu X said:

All three on one cart. 

Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii U was 7.7GB. That wouldn't even fill one of the smallest Switch card sizes which is 8GB. Hell you probably could fit the entire franchise.....even Other M on a 16GB card.  Edit: Didn't realize Zero Mission is 692MB. So they'd need some sort of compression since that would put franchise at about 16.5GB.

https://nintendoeverything.com/metroid-prime-trilogy-file-size-wii-download/

20 minutes ago, Wellman said:

That being said, I fall on the side calling it BS as well because we have been getting Switch ports with bootleg motion controls since it launched. Plus Skyward Sword is getting a port, if they can redo Skyward Sword to gyro, buttons and sticks then MP3 and Trilogy is doable. 

How awesome would it be if they gave the Prime games standard FPS controls with look/strafe?  The ability to strafe and look while moving in Metroid Prime 3 was a huge deal, and I actually liked the control scheme with the Wiimote aiming and moving with the nunchuck.  It felt really intuitive for me.  But I would still like standard FPS controls for all three games.

34 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

How awesome would it be if they gave the Prime games standard FPS controls with look/strafe?  The ability to strafe and look while moving in Metroid Prime 3 was a huge deal, and I actually liked the control scheme with the Wiimote aiming and moving with the nunchuck.  It felt really intuitive for me.  But I would still like standard FPS controls for all three games.

You mean like Trilogy did or straight up Pad FPS controls?

Because playing shooting games on pad is 🤢.

I still maintain that Trilogy will get ported when Prime 4 drops a trailer to drum up hype.

Speaking of hype...

ojm6s92ssq671.jpg?width=516&auto=webp&s=a392fcdcc8a03980222773c10eb11d6eaedc2b8d

21 minutes ago, Volt said:

You mean like Trilogy did or straight up Pad FPS controls?

Because playing shooting games on pad is 🤢.

Straight up pad FPS controls. Where you can move with the left stick and look with the right stick.  You know, the basic setup that has become standard for every single shooter? 

The first two Prime games only allowed you to move with the left stick (right stick changed weapons) and you could only look while holding R trigger.  Like I said before, using motion controls in Prime 3 was great because you could now look around while moving (again, something that has become standard in FPS games, and has been for a long time).

What I'm wishing for is that, since Nintendo buttons on their controllers match up with standard controllers (i.e. two analog sticks that click, two right shoulders, two left shoulders, D pad, and four face buttons) it would be nice if they allowed for standard FPS controls that are used in almost every FPS game these days.  Minor variances occur, of course. Like melee being tied to R2 vs R3, depending on what other abilities you have in the game. But for the most part, moving with left and looking with right sticks has been pretty much standardized.

I only play shooting games with a pad.   I like to play videogames on my fucking couch, not at a computer desk with a mouse and keyboard.  I'm at a fucking desk all god damned day.  Last thing I want to do is "relax" with yet more mouse and keyboard bullshit 🤮

Edited by Chadouken