Stage Select

The Metroid Thread: The E.M.M.I. just want a hug! (Dread Available Now)

12 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Though the boss fight with Mecha Ridley was ass. By far the easiest final boss I've encountered in this series. 

Ironically Mecha Ridley and Kraid were the bosses I had the most trouble with because I can't short-hop missile with any kind of accuracy. 🤣

It’s not live yet but in GameStop’s POS they’re showing Ridley is also getting a reprint that comes out same day as Dread. 

im guessing SSB Samus will be reprinted too and HOPEFULLY the Samus Returns 2-pack will be as well.  Especially since The latter is going for almost $300 right now

Edited by iStu X
7 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea I really need that Samus Returns 2 pack to get another print. Want a Dread Samus Amiibo to. 

Yeah, after market amiibo is god damn crazy. There’s so many things going for absurd prices. I remember seeing the Goomba amiibo sell for almost $175. A FUCKING GOOMBA! It’s gone down to about $40-50 but that’s still too god damn high. 

I finished AM2R. Definitely not a fan of how it designed the boss battles with the Metroids. It was a chore. Otherwise I enjoyed the rest of the game. I like how varied the environments were and how much it made sense within the context of the game. I wish that Samus Returns at this much environmental variety. This was the longest game for me to complete this far clocking in at around 5 hours with a 88% completion rating.

I got Prime hack up and running so I can finally play the Prime games. Though I'm gonna start Samus Returns before diving into Prime.

Playing through Samus Returns and I made it as far as the encounter with the Zeta Metroid. I actually enjoy fighting the metroids in this game unlike AM2R as the fights are dynamic and the elemental properties some of the metroids have switches things up a bit compared to I will ram you to death. This was the one aspect I wish AM2R took liberties with. One aspect I dislike with Samus Returns metroid fights is when you get to Area 3 and the Gammas start to run away when you have them on the ropes. That shit is so annoying and needlessly pads the fight. 

Another thing I dislike is how over complicated the controls are for this game. I don't understand why ice beam needed to be separated from the other beams. It's cumbersome to have switch to ice beam for metroid fights and the few times I need to use enemies as platforms. Having to hold down R and switch between missiles on the touchscreen is terrible. I can't remember if power bombs work this same way but really hope not.

Edited by Hawkingbird
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I finally got around to playing Metroid Prime. So far so good. I'm having a difficult time reading the 3D map. It's fine when it's a mini map while I'm exploring but I find it hard to navigate when I open up the map screen. 

It takes a bit to get the hang of, but the MP maps end up being the best I've used in that kind of game. 

I just got the gravity suit in Prime. Just some random thoughts of my playthrough of Prime.

- This game could have really used fast travel. The amount of backtracking I need to do is insane. I wouldn't mind it too much if there were shortcuts to cut on the travel but I haven’t found any. It's beginning to wane on me how often I have to travel between the Chozo Ruins and the drifts for progression. The caverns acts more like a hub than the Tallon Overworld as I always have to go through it to get to the areas I need to be. World design could have been better.

- I have enjoyed the morph ball puzzles more than I thought. Being in the morph ball is a lot of fun

- Game is on the easy side. I haven't died once. The space pirates I've encountered so far have been the only challenge. 

Yea I think instead of a fast travel system Prime 1 needed a slightly better map that intersected itself a bit more often.  Fast travel for me is generally (but certainly not always) a crutch to make up for a flaw in your level design. Usually that your map is either too hard or tedious to navigate. Exceptions for me in the Metroid style would be something like Hollow Knight where the map is just incredibly massive that it takes forever to get around despite how fun it is, and huge open world games like Witcher 3, BOTW, and Horizon Zero Dawn. That's just the nature of s game world that large and open. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

- Game is on the easy side. I haven't died once. The space pirates I've encountered so far have been the only challenge. 

The difficulty ramps up a little when you get to the Phazon Mines, but it's still manageable.  Metroid Prime is one of my favorite boss battles of all time though.  She's not crazy hard but fun as hell.

20 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Maybe I should give the Prime games another shot. They were technically sound but I honestly found them boring. It's been about 10 years, maybe I'll feel differently now 🤔

The only one I found sort of boring was MP2 Echoes. It looked a bit better then the first game and had some nice game play but it felt so life less and some unfortunate choices in game play as well (mostly I hated how the light and dark weapons had ammo and were reskins of previous beam weapons) by the end when I came across the penultimate boss of the game I was drained and stopped playing.

35 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I have to do the chozo artifact quest now. Fuck this game.

yyyyyeeah...some of the artifacts you can collect through the game but the issue is they don't really tell you about them until near the end.  Some times you can just stumble across them.  That's probably the biggest gripe about that game is that they could have at least told you about them ahead of time or given you a better way to find out about them ahead of time and it would have been a bit smoother.

I finished Prime last night. Finished it in 12 hours with 65% completion. I enjoyed Prime and I thought it did a fine job converting many of the series stables to 3D. As I said before, the level design is easily my biggest gripe. It become a chore traveling across the map without fast travel or shortcuts to eliminate the tandem of backtracking. I reached peak frustration when I was at the crashed pirate frigate and the game informs me I need the gravity suit to proceed and directs to one of the more far off areas of the Phendrana Drifts to get it. Why the fuck isn't this power up in the area where I need it most to proceed? Why did the game wait until I needed it to point to this direction where it's like 15 minutes away? This felt like blatant padding. 

Chozo artifact quest wouldn't be so bad if the game informed the player about them at an earlier point and didn't lock them behind late game power ups. IMO, as soon as you get the power bomb or X-ray visor should have been the cut off point to get all the artifacts. 

13 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

What did you think about the Prime battle? It's been almost 20 years, but I remember it being pretty fucking awesome.

I was a little annoyed with it as I kept getting bad RNG. It wouldn't change red or white so I can hit it with my strong beams so I can do real damage. It was fun when Prime was a giant enemy crab. Got underwhelming when I had to fight the core. 

On 8/16/2021 at 4:43 PM, Hawkingbird said:

The caverns acts more like a hub than the Tallon Overworld as I always have to go through it to get to the areas I need to be. World design could have been better.

Yeah, pretty much.

On 8/16/2021 at 4:43 PM, Hawkingbird said:

I thought shit was sweet too. Then Meta Ridley made me eat a spoonful. 🤣

Prime 1 is a pretty solid game, the lack of real shortcuts with Samus' kinda sluggish movement kinda bothered me, but the game was so good that I was willing to deal with that.

Echoes is one of my favorite games. Do not expect the same level of difficulty from 1. On the other hand, you might get a bit bored waiting for the Dark Aether Safe Zones to heal you up. Good shitpost break tho.

Man, there's a giant Metroid-sized hole in my Switch. I need a Prime Trilogy port and Dread to arrive soon. Metroid is definitely one of the best games to kill time on the go.

44 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Meta Ridley was pretty easy too. Now that I think back, I didn't die a single time in my Prime playthough. The closest I came to dying was when I was in the Phazon Mines and nearly got killed trying to tank Phazon damage in a morph ball maze.

Niiice.

Don't sleep on Echoes tho. Boost Guardian is still something to look forward to.

I started Prime 2. I made it as far as the boost guardian. A few thoughts.

• I'm liking the level design of this game so far over the first Prime. What I liked about Agon Wastes and now the Torvus Bog these locales feel more like Zelda dungeons. Aside from a handful of rooms I obviously have to backtrack to it doesn't seem I need to return to that area for anything. I like that a lot. I wouldn't mind if another Metroid game makes use of this type of level design.
  • I appreciate that the space pirates resemble the way they looked in Super more than they did in Prime one. Blast doors using the same colors as Super is nice as well
  • I don't like the dark and light beams have an ammo count. With the beams being strong I can see why they added it. It hasn't become a problem yet but I wish it wasn't there.
  • Venturing into the dark world slows things down too much. Getting the dark suit makes it less of a pain (that suit is ugly as fuck. I hate looking at it). 
  • I like the increased difficulty compared to Prime 1. Some of the bosses actually came close to killing me.  

Finished Prime 2. This is an infinitely better game than Prime 1. Having shortcuts and quick access to all the main areas actually made backtracking not feel like shit. The difficulty bump was appreciated. I actually died during the course of my playthrough. I wasn't a fan of how the dark and light world mechanic worked. I would have preferred if they used Soul Reaver method as oppose to having to find portals at fixed points. I like that there was more morph ball puzzles. Morph ball boss fights were great. I think the Spider guardian is my favorite boss for that reason. Wonky physics and all. Unlike with Prime 1 I can see myself play this one again.