Stage Select

The Metroid Thread: The E.M.M.I. just want a hug! (Dread Available Now)

Started Prime 3. So far I just received the grapple beam for the gunship. The way this game starts was not what I expected going into this series. Samus is in a spacestation with NPCs everywhere, the heavy military presence, having peers to work alongside, having some of the federation NPCs help me fight against the pirates, the setpieces. This opener felt like the opening of the first Halo game. It was weird.

As far as setpieces go I love the boss fight against Ridley. The fight itself isn't nothing special but a free fall fight down a generator shift is beyond awesome. It's bout damn time I play on of these Prime games where Samus gets to keep her power ups. I'm happy she got to keep the basics like morph ball, bombs and space jump. Plasma beam is nerfed compared how it was in Prime 1 but it's still more fun to use than the power beam. 

I like the idea of the Gunship playing a big role in this game. I want to get in firefights with it. What's the point of getting these ship upgrades if I'm not gonna to engage in ship combat?

The NPC populated areas do feel a bit weird, but overall I really like Prime 3. I think it gets a bit unfairly maligned. The last time I played through the trilogy (somewhere around when Samus Returns came out, IIRC), I had the most fun with 3. I should play them again sometime soon-ish and see if that feeling holds. 

25 minutes ago, Camacho said:

The NPC populated areas do feel a bit weird, but overall I really like Prime 3. I think it gets a bit unfairly maligned. The last time I played through the trilogy (somewhere around when Samus Returns came out, IIRC), I had the most fun with 3. I should play them again sometime soon-ish and see if that feeling holds. 

Compared to Prime 1 & 2, Prime 3 is has been linear. I don't mind one bit personally. So was Fusion and it's one of my favorites. I wish it had Prime 2 difficulty. PED suit ain't shit compared to dark Aether. 

I remember Prime 3 being repetitively segmented and guided and kinda disliked it for that, while liking the expanded world building of having NPCs and the Federation involved...like physically present.

Its been a while since i played tho, I could be misremembering the world structure.

13 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I remember Prime 3 being repetitively segmented and guided and kinda disliked it for that, while liking the expanded world building of having NPCs and the Federation involved...like physically present.

Its been a while since i played tho, I could be misremembering the world structure.

Nah you're correct on that.  Prime 3 was definitely a bit more guided than the last 2 games and it's partly due to Ninty at the time still going hardcore in their "Blue Ocean" strategy and really trying to get other people who don't really play games to try.  Prime 3 didn't get tampered with that heavily for it but a lot of the decisions made was because of that time period.  I also thought the music for this game was weaker than the first 2 as a whole but still had some interesting stuff in it here and there.

I tried playing Prime 3 on hard mode and everything was going smoothly until I got to one of the bosses  (not sure where Hawkingbird is so don't want to potentially spoil anything) but this boss was definitely not balanced right for hard mode.  I was fighting him for over 30 minutes and wasn't getting anywhere it felt like.  War of attrition and how long your finger could hold out.

I finished Prime 3. Firstly I want to express my disappointment I never got to do space fight with the gunship. I felt the game was building to it with the ship upgrades. I was ready for it when it was time to Phaaze. The setpiece was right there and it didn't happen. 

I didn't like how hyper mode trivialize most of the upgrades you get. It will melt everything. It didn't help that this how the game wanted you to kill most bosses. It made it miss needing to use most of your current Arsenal to take out a boss. 

I didn't mind the fragmented level design. Though when I look at the maps I couldn't help but notice all the straight lines I would see. 

The quest for the energy cells wasn't a pain in the ass like the other ones before it. I think I was only missing three by the time I needed to get the pirate code. 

Overall with the Prime series I would say 2 > 3 > 1

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I finished Prime 3. Firstly I want to express my disappointment I never got to do space fight with the gunship. I felt the game was building to it with the ship upgrades. I was ready for it when it was time to Phaaze. The setpiece was right there and it didn't happen. 

Retro wanted to do more with the Gunship, but ultimately couldn't. Corruption pushed the Wii pretty hard.

8 hours ago, Camacho said:

I'm guessing you got pulled through the quicksand a few times.

I even shinesparked and grazed it. That was all it took.

You ever seen a shinespark take you absolutely nowhere and drain over 10 energy tanks? 🤣

8 hours ago, Chadouken said:

And Draygon is the easiest boss in the game.  You can insta-kill it with the grapple beam.

Sudden_What.gif

I might have to do it just for Grapple Beam redemption arc. Damn, that thing made me salty last night.

6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Super Metroids too low. My only real comment. Everything else is pretty solid imo. 

@Volt

That ending kinda explains how Draygon could still alive, I forgot his spawns drag him way away after you beat him. If they wanted, they probably could bring he/she back in a future game 

And Super Metroid is atleast A-rank in that tier. And I'd rank Other M higher but that's personal bias on my part cuz I know I'm one of two ppl who loved it 😂

Edited by HD-Man
  • misterBee changed the title to The Metroid Thread: Why did Fusion get a sequel
On 9/15/2021 at 3:10 PM, HD-Man said:

You mean them goofs from Ninjala? They can't see me 🚫

I’m not sure if you’re being serious or not but no. The Nintenja’s are a meme that’s been a round for a while. It’s basically a term for when Nintendo shuts down piracy, bootlegging, homebrews and leaking info early. 

They’re Nintenja’s because it happens so fast and it happens out of no where.

Edited by iStu X

Is this thread title a troll?  I'm unsure right now lol

@HD-ManNintendo's ninja's ain't nothing to fuck with.  Pretty much what Stu said.  They're mostly a meme but also a metaphorical representation for how swift Nintendo will come down on you if you're in their sights for whatever reason.  If you get a C&D or a call from them then it's best to heed it otherwise you're gonna end up like that guy decided to fuck around and find out. 

• Volt changed the title to The Metroid Thread: DREAD SPOILERS OUT. Hide from the Youtube Clickbait EMMI until Oct. 8th!!!
  • Volt changed the title to The Metroid Thread: DREAD SPOILERS OUT. Hide from the Youtube Clickbait E.M.M.I. until Oct. 8th!!!
2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@SonichumanThanks for the link. I didn't know localizations that terrible were still a thing from a major publisher at the time of Other M's release. The bulk of my issues with Other M was the characterization of Samus. Well that and Samus suddenly being like 5'7" but that's a whole other tangent.

Its why alot of Metroid fans refuse to except Other M as canon 
Also someone who fought Ridley successfully and won a half dozen times all of the sudden gets a PSTD flash back and her abilities wink out?

WTF? 

16 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

Its why alot of Metroid fans refuse to except Other M as canon 
Also someone who fought Ridley successfully and won a half dozen times all of the sudden gets a PSTD flash back and her abilities wink out?

WTF? 

That's the thing. She didn't have PTSD in the original Japanese text. Samus was also FAR more assertive. They made her a passive girl that seemed like she had a school girl crush on Adam. Worse, Fusion's translation was borked too. Also the video pointed how Metroid was poor localized from jump. The Varia Suit should been Barrier Suit etc.

1 minute ago, HD-Man said:

Reporting everybody in this thread bashing Other M, I don't need this kind of negativity in my life

Your face is negativity  😝

16 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

She didn't have PTSD in the original Japanese text. Samus was also FAR more assertive. They made her a passive girl that seemed like she had a school girl crush on Adam. Worse, Fusion's translation was borked too. Also the video pointed how Metroid was poor localized from jump. The Varia Suit should been Barrier Suit etc.

I can only go with what's been presented to me, not what was intended. 

18 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

I can only go with what's been presented to me, not what was intended. 

I don't disagree with you. It just has me thinking how Other M would have been received if it had an accurate localization.  Also this explains the creators reaction to the criticisms. He was being criticized for a narrative that wasn't his. 

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I didn't know localizations that terrible were still a thing from a major publisher at the time of Other M's release.

This is actually still a huge problem across the entire industry. For example in Breath of the Wild all the Sheika Slate Entries are written in First Person in Japan...as in Link wrote them. In America they are just entries of a nebulous nature. They are just there. The accurately translated entries add a lot to BOTW and to Link specifically. He isn't so silent in that game.

Every single FromSoft game is littered with Translation errors. Its so bad in Sekiro that the story actually gets lost in the translation and looking at accurate translations sheds soooo much light on the themes and narrative threads of Sekiro that are just completely missing in Activisions translation. Shit they even got the Guardian Apes name wrong, hes not an Ape hes a Giant Monkey, has a tail and everything.

So yea unfortunately lousy translations are still a pretty big issue even today.