Stage Select

The Metroid Thread: The E.M.M.I. just want a hug! (Dread Available Now)

3 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I really wish there was a different button config for this tho, still not entirely used to free aim, especially it being on the left trigger (never got around to playing Samus Returns so I don't have the experience of using it).

I thought it'd be second nature to me, but it's not. Then again, I'm not very far into the game so maybe it'll come with time 

It's good enough, but when you gotta hold Charge and maneuver around in boss fights, it starts to get silly.

In other news, I'm hella fucking lost.

Spoiler

If I really gotta backtrack from Ghavoran to the balls of Artaria, I'm gonna be pissed.

If I'm doing this and it's not it, I'm going to drop an atomic rant.

Edit: It wasn't. 😭

@Hawkingbirdhow far in are you now?

Edited by Volt
Pain
4 minutes ago, Volt said:

It's good enough, but when you gotta hold Charge and maneuver around in boss fights, it starts to get silly.

In other news, I'm hella fucking lost.

Hide contents

If I really gotta backtrack from Ghavoran to the balls of Artaria, I'm gonna be pissed.

If I'm doing this and it's not it, I'm going to drop an atomic rant.

@Hawkingbirdhow far in are you now?

Spoiler

You don't have to do a full backtrack. A transport and a shortcut will take you back there. That's true for any area you will need to return to in order to progress. 

I just received the seeker missile where I'm up to. 

8 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:
  Hide contents

You don't have to do a full backtrack. A transport and a shortcut will take you back there. That's true for any area you will need to return to in order to progress. 

I just received the seeker missile where I'm up to. 

Where tf is it!?

Spoiler

I just got past the 2nd Robot Chozo and took the elevator from Ghavoran to Dairon. 

MAJOR SPOILERS

Spoiler

Shit hit the fan big time.

The X are back and these mfers were on that Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

They're like, Venom Symbiotes, the Ing, and the X rolled up in a nasty goopy package.

And they reactivate the E.M.M.I.

This game didn't just take out the kiddie gloves, it got brass knuckles.

I'm hyyyyyype!!!

Ayo, I don't see this game not getting any awards this year.

This is a whole ass package. The story got me hooked like a crack addict now.

Major spoilers

Spoiler

When Samus confronts the final EMMI the full power of her siphon energy power awakens. The EMMI gets treated like a jobber and Samus becomes a full Metroid. 

*Birdman hand rub gif here

You also get Wave beam twice lol. After the second time it works the way it's suppose to.

EDIT: Turns out that Raven Beak gave his DNA to Samus when she was a kid. She has DNA from his right hand and his heart from the looks of it. He even called her his daughter. She has three Dads now.  

Edited by Hawkingbird

Finished Dread. 6 hours with 36% items. All that gets me is a close up shot of Samus eyes. I unlocked hard mode. I'm gonna go for the 100% before starting hard mode 

Spoiler

Raven Beak is a fun final boss. The guy is no joke. He uses all the Aeion abilities from Samus Returns and hands you your ass. Some pro tips

Phase 1 you will only hurt him with a parry. Look out for a rush attack that makes his hand glow red, a pink wave attack that you need to see the morph ball to dodge and a taunt. Use power bombs on the black charge shot to get rid of it easier.

Phase 2 is a standard boss fight. Circle around him with the screw attack when he uses the burst beam to avoid it. Slide if he does his flight rush to avoid it. Use ice missiles, he does down faster that way 

Only noteworthy thing about phase 3 is the orange charge shot he uses that suspends in the air and launches an AoE at you but it's easily avoidable. All I'll say is have some left over health from Phase 2 and this will get down easy.

Shinespark puzzles can eat a fucking dick. The timing and additional abilities you need to pull them off takes a lot of work. Spend like 15 minutes on one in Ferenia.

If you manage to connect all of the teleportals you will be able to freely move between all of them not just their designated color. If anyone plans to 100% like me make sure to do this. 

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Shinespark puzzles can eat a fucking dick.

IMG_20211007_153134.jpg

Speed Booster puzzles are cursed as fuck. I legit despise that power-up.

And it's not just on this game, SB puzzles are always like, "catch a charge in this room, drop to the lower level without hitting this mook, store the spark, freeze the mook, wall jump off it, and do a diagonal mid-air ballspark."

I'm sorry, am I really supposed to do that with those tiny-ass joycons? Do I look like a Melee player? 🤣

41 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I beat the first boss last night and made it to the second area. It's a little early to tell, but this might be the best Metriod game, rivaling Super Metroid. I haven't felt this way about a Metroid game since playing through SM for the first time when I was 14 years old.  Fusion and Zero Mission were both excellent, but Dread is something special. 

I'm quite a bit farther then you currently (with how much work in scheduled the next few days that's likely to change lol) and I'm much on the same page with you so far. The attention to detail and the level of quality going on here is really working for me. The map design is great, I even love how the map rooms work now, the toggle for Missiles is great. The combats really fun. I've never said that about a Metroid game before. All the boss fights have been fun, I actually really liked the returning boss. The combats actually as fun and feels like it shares as much importance as the exploration. Really impressed so far. I do have a couple gripes but I'll save them for my final thoughts as they really are gripes and knit picks.

I unlocked the Chozo memories. 

Spoiler

I don't think the chozo memories tell as much of a story like the ones from Samus Returns but it does explain a few things.

1. Raven Beak is the one who fucked up the first EMMI you encounter in the game.

2. Chozo soldiers trying restrain Kraid. Still doesn't answer why the hell is he even there. I want know

3. Quiet Robe working on the monster you see experimented on in Dairon

4. A couple of Chozo prisoners going to be fed to the plant monster.

5. A Chozo warrior killing one of the large creatures in Ghavoran as a rite of passage.

6. Raven Beak and the Mawkin get confronted by a X infested warrior

7. Quiet Robe and Raven Beak reprogram the EMMIs

8. A golden armor Mawkin warrior holding his tribe flag on the planet's surface

9. Artwork featuring all the major characters of the 2D games. 

I gotta be honest with y'all.

I'm getting real tired of the bosses in this game.

Spoiler

Pretty much every single boss in this game checks several of the following:

• Outrageous health.
  • Absurd damage output.
  • Attacks while vulnerable.
  • Shoots projectiles that eat your projectiles or ignore them.
  • Generally forces you to dodge while hoping to hit.

When every single boss takes half a tank just for bumping into you and at least a whole tank on a hit with the Gravity Suit, I call bullshit. 

Kraid is a classic example of this list. It takes dozens of missiles to kill, and constantly flings shit while vulnerable that gets in the way of your missiles, or worse, charge shots, but if that wasn't enough, it actually got fast overhead nails that force you to either capitalize on the opening you created or avoid a chunk of damage.

It gets worse late-game.

Right now I stopped on the cross bomb boss. Lemme paint the picture.

It starts as a mook, turns into a bigger mook, and then the boss. So far, nothing too bad, except the 2nd mook is already almost as tall as the room. Then it attacks with its impervious scythes on the front. The space jump messes with your wall jump, so it's wonky to get out of the corner, to begin with, because you need to be touching the ceiling to Flash Shift past it.

So basically, I got a behemoth charging ahead with my shots bouncing off, oh well, that's Metroid.

Then you sneak past it and what happens?

Fucking anime zoning. Homing bombs, mines forming a box on your area, diagonal bombs that turn into crosses, and my favorite, a whole net-shaped blast that can only be avoided by going back to the front. All of it deals ridiculous damage.

The boss is unfazed by missiles and the like, I gotta dodge all this bullshit, and hopefully, have Samus take a bunch of potshots with her peashooter because her damage is pitiful.

The combination is what pushes everything over the edge.

If it got less health, I'd consider taking the trade and honestly, I'd like that boss.

If it got less damage, It'd be a war of attrition like ZM Kraid, but that's not so bad.

If it got less bullshit, it'd be kinda lame but it works too.

But it's everything on every boss. Like, bro. Why? At some point it just gets tiresome.

I can't even imagine how Hard mode must be with bosses having even *more* health.

35 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

This Yellow EMMI is giving me the fucking business.  This asshole has caught me hiding multiple times now and it feels nigh impossible to run from in this area I am.  The moment it seems my my ass is in full clench.

I just met that one, but only briefly.

Spoiler

I'm heading back to Cataris with the wide beam to exploit a bit more before fucking with that yellow one. Still haven't killed the green one yet.

Edit: Just killed the green one! 

Edited by Chadouken

The largest gripe that I have with this game so far is that the music is not memorable so far.  Nothing I've heard so far has caught my ear 3 hours in and when I fought Kraid finally was even more disappointed.  Game is great in every other department but musically it is lacking. 

Difficulty is super fair in this game.  Anybody complaining about difficulty in this game needs to go play Dark Souls for a few hours and then come back to this.  This game is no where near as punishing and yeah you die to EMMIs but they spawn you RIGHT OUTSIDE THE DOOR.   If they made you take the run of shame every time you died from the last time you saved then I'd get it to a certain extent but this game is extremely fair and I feel like it respects your time.

7 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

The largest gripe that I have with this game so far is that the music is not memorable so far. 

Nah, it got some good stuff, the music in this game is just on the subtle side. The heated area in Artaria got a pretty good one for example.

7 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Difficulty is super fair in this game.

Ehhhhh, I'm really pissed at how long bosses take to kill in this game.

I'm cool with the fights themselves, but lemme do some real damage.

48 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

This game is generous when it comes to save points. They are all over. Extending that function to the map rooms is appreciated

The map in general is the best I've ever seen in a Metroid game. So detailed, it's amazing.

I was thinking, Iirc there are randomizers for Zero Mission. I gotta check if Fusion got some too. If it does, odds are that Dread might have them too. Since a lot of the roadblocks in this game are powerup-based, that'd be a neat twist.

God damn, Metroid Dread is so fucking rad. I keep getting flooded with feelings I haven't felt since playing Super Metroid for the first time.

I used the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro+ (the one that looks like a SNES controller but with hand grips and thumb sticks) and I like it way better than the Switch Pro controller for this game. It's easier for me to hit the L and R buttons because of the wider stance I think. Was able to beat Kraid on my third try. 

3 hours ago, Volt said:

Ehhhhh, I'm really pissed at how long bosses take to kill in this game.

I'm cool with the fights themselves, but lemme do some real damage.

I've found that if you hit the counters the bosses go down really fast cuz Samus just gets to sit there and pump ass loads of lead into them. Activate missiles for extra damage. Took a pretty big boss down last night in 2 passes.

I don't think they are Spongey at all you just have to actually hit the damage Windows to do real damage. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Man, I'm gonna have to take a break. I'm stuck. I know there has to be one thing I'm missing and I don't want to look for outside help. 

Keep following the path of least resistance and take a good look at the map.

Got stuck for hours once because I forgot to go through a door and wound up running through the entire planet before figuring it out.

Oh right, I just remembered. @HD-ManIirc, it was you that wanted to change the in-game controls.

You can change them in the Switch's global controller settings, it's on the options menu. That changes your whole layout tho, but you can have up to 5 presets + Reset to default.

Unfortunately, it's too late for me, the muscle memory is already set. Tried it before a boss and my brain got a whole blue screen. 🤣

I'd definitely consider changing the beam to a trigger button on the 2nd run tho. Being able to stay mobile with a charged shot is imperative in this game.

23 minutes ago, Volt said:

Oh right, I just remembered. @HD-ManIirc, it was you that wanted to change the in-game controls.

You can change them in the Switch's global controller settings, it's on the options menu. That changes your whole layout tho, but you can have up to 5 presets + Reset to default.

Unfortunately, it's too late for me, the muscle memory is already set. Tried it before a boss and my brain got a whole blue screen. 🤣

I'd definitely consider changing the beam to a trigger button on the 2nd run tho. Being able to stay mobile with a charged shot is imperative in this game.

Well damn, I think it may be too late for me too. Still not very intuitive but I think it's set in lol. I still may tinker with the button config it to see if it feels better tho