Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

It’s good to see that SF story is still something that is important to fans to some degree. The unused character designs wasn’t something they really focused on in their last developers site although they did provide some interesting information. 

If the character reviews fall under the category of “side stories”  then I feel like some fans are kidding themselves. When they start redesigning characters in whatever art form and posting their backstory on some website all the fans go wild speculating about who and when their favorite characters are being included into the game. We all know that 🙄

5 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I chose unused designs. 

Leonardo Dicaprio Toast GIF - Leonardo Dicaprio Toast Cheers - Discover &  Share GIFs

Will be twice awesome now tha with character creation will allow us to recreate what Capcom chosen to cut... my to do list already include King Cobra, Gen's Disciple, Zubaz ,the SFV rejected silat girl etc etc

-return pray they don't fuck CC up-

🕯️🙏🕯️

5 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

And you call yourself a Story Thread poster...

A lot of rejected designs somehow re-emerge in the future as new elements of story and characters. I think it's also grounding to know what bullets we dodged to get to where we are, and boy did we dodge bullets over the years.

Anyway, here is a Daigo Ikeno Alpha 3 upper artwork to lift you all up...

GA10geF.jpg

(no Ingrid! HAHAHAHAHAHA!)

Edited by Daemos
22 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I chose unused designs. 

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'll always be more interested in what could have been. Seeing the early concept art for series cast is always neat. Capcom likes to salvage old ideas so I like connecting the dots when a new character debuts.

I get your point and I agree that it’s interesting to see what could have been. It’s even cooler to see some rejected elements make it into the game. 

Im just saying from what I’ve seen in terms of hype building for the game which is what excites the fans. The character reviews for the SF5 developers site brought way more discussion and speculation into who would be brought into the game in later seasons.

Some of the characters that were featured in the character analysis before they were introduced in game made it into the latter seasons (Oro and Rose) and some of them didn’t  (Sodom, Eagle, Retsu, Lee, etc). A lot of them had art redesigns which fans loved. 

Sure the unused elements eventually make it into the game and we get to see the progression of the design (the fighter president turns into G). Though you have to wonder why some of your favorites who are already established didn’t. It’s cool to see them give them some recognition even if they aren’t in the game initially.

I personally thought that the character analysis were more effective in hype building and discussion than the unused designs that’s all 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

2 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

spacer.png

I get your point and I agree that it’s interesting to see what could have been. It’s even cooler to see some rejected elements make it into the game. 

Im just saying from what I’ve seen in terms of hype building for the game which is what excites the fans. The character reviews for the SF5 developers site brought way more discussion and speculation into who would be brought into the game in later seasons.

Some of the characters that were featured in the character analysis before they were introduced in game made it into the latter seasons (Oro and Rose) and some of them didn’t  (Sodom, Eagle, Retsu, Lee, etc). A lot of them had art redesigns which fans loved. 

Sure the unused elements eventually make it into the game and we get to see the progression of the design (the fighter president turns into G). Though you have to wonder why some of your favorites who are already established didn’t. It’s cool to see them give them some recognition even if they aren’t in the game initially.

I personally thought that the character analysis were more effective in hype building and discussion than the unused designs that’s all 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

I went with the choices provided on the Twitter poll. Character analysis wasn't on offer. Unless that's what the Woshige illustrations are suppose to be.

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I went with the choices provided on the Twitter poll. Character analysis wasn't on offer. Unless that's what the Woshige illustrations are suppose to be.

To be fair I just thought that the “side story” option encompassed the “character analysis” section because you know they have to write a backstory for all of these characters 😝🤣🤷🏾‍♂️

42 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

To be fair I just thought that the “side story” option encompassed the “character analysis” section because you know they have to write a backstory for all of these characters 😝🤣🤷🏾‍♂️

I saw the side story option as content similar to Oro story where he met Dhalsim and had dinner with his family. I don't care for novel like content tbh.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I saw the side story option as content similar to Oro story where he met Dhalsim and had dinner with his family. I don't care for novel like content tbh.

It's good content if it is canon, which I see no reason for it not to be. More canon the better.

On 3/23/2023 at 5:24 AM, Daemos said:

A lot of rejected designs somehow re-emerge in the future as new elements of story and characters. 

But Side Stories are ACTUAL story!

We know more about the nature of Ki in SF because of them.   We know about AKI's origin(probably) because of them.

18 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I saw the side story option as content similar to Oro story where he met Dhalsim and had dinner with his family.

I also assumed they meant the Side Readers.

Edited by DarthEnderX
On 3/23/2023 at 5:12 AM, bakfromon said:

If the character reviews fall under the category of “side stories”  then I feel like some fans are kidding themselves. When they start redesigning characters in whatever art form and posting their backstory on some website all the fans go wild speculating about who and when their favorite characters are being included into the game. We all know that 🙄

I choose Side Stories, I enjoy Side Stories.

I mean those unused character design would anyway go to SF art books later on.

But Side Stories? it more of a exclusive gem of media and info that builds the world of SF.

TBH with all those character fan ideas and wishlist were  okay when in ASK Capcom and Capcom BSS circa 2006 -  2009 and SRK before the 2018

because those times those were the data gathering sites from user feedback and those sites were along the priority compare to Gamefaqs

Yet THiNGS had change, marketing and data gathering has innovate

Forums arent the place for gathering majority of the data anymore because some move to discord and reddit

while discord and reddit is terrible in getting feedbacks.

plus the whole fake leaker affected everything that most gaming companies would rather not do something OBVIOUSLY GOOD. 

rather than compromise to fake leakers that are entitled and feel that they can manipulate Devs.

Fake leakers kinda turn the whole community into TOXICITY. It like this guys are trying to Blackmail devs into their bidding. So the best solution is just do whatever the opposite and unpredictable but still done in a GOOD way or something that can be profitable my riding trends in a surprising way.

Like Ed being Demitri and Menat being Devilot. Those were od choices but they are intentional to be that way even we know the obvious better.

Like SF6 being a whole new thing instead of people expecting it to be SF3 centric characters and secret society as the main focus.

So people expecting mix of sf3 and Sf2 characters or just mix of character ended up with a surprise of tons of SF2 character with new characters.

Main villain isnt Secret Society nor Shadaloo or even the so called rumor Alphabet gang by G. We end up with something that might be connected but still not the POPULAR expectations and what everyone is speculating

Is the new Villain a shadaloo or a secret society related? he used PSYCHO POWER but...?

So how do data is track now? through character usage and impression. Company regulated POLLS and Twitter.

Since Reddit and Discord are poor into searches and data management

Edited by Shakunetsu

Seeing how the poll went throught, it just shows the story interest is just very niche demographic in SF Community

And only a few cared, while the large demographic of SF Nerds and SF Geeks  are more into CURIOUSITY and Artwork.

Same thoughts with the unused artwork that likely would go to Artbooks anyway

Edited by Shakunetsu
On 3/23/2023 at 5:37 PM, Hawkingbird said:

On 3/23/2023 at 4:53 PM, bakfromon said:

To be fair that was also important too despite what you think. The Dhalsim /Oro side story was similar to importance as any of the side stories regarding SF that build character into the characters we already know. 

Without the side stories people wouldn’t debate; Akuma is such a nice guy and not a villain because he saves lost children in his caves and sells fruit on the side of his fights. 

Or the fact the fact that Goutetsu, M. Bison and Rose’s master existed and died fighting their students . 

Or Thawks backstory with his father and Bison.

C.Viper actually having a partner named  Blue Raven who sacrificed himself tracking down Bison. 

All of these elements were hidden in the backstory because Capcom refused to put them on the forefront, and fans should be considerate of the backstory giving them so much of the content of the main characters so far. 

The Dhalsim vs Oro story was important because it doesn’t give the energy they use (qi) a polarity. It’s not just good vs evil or negative vs positive.  Oro describes the power just as it should be viewed. A grey area free to the users will. Psycho Power, SnH, Mu, Kiko, whatever the user calls the power it’s all the same source distilled upon the users will and values. 

On 3/24/2023 at 1:21 PM, Shakunetsu said:

Seeing how the poll went throught, it just shows the story interest is just very niche demographic in SF Community

It literally ranked 2nd although a far 2nd to unused character designs. It’s important to SF fans but as long as Capcom continues to put SF story at the back  burner to everything else in SF this is what we’ll get in terms of story……a far second.  

24 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

To be fair that was also important too despite what you think. The Dhalsim /Oro side story was similar to importance as any of the side stories regarding SF that build character into the characters we already know. 

Without the side stories people wouldn’t debate; Akuma is such a nice guy and not a villain because he saves lost children in his caves and sells fruit on the side of his fights. 

Or the fact the fact that Goutetsu, M. Bison and Rose’s master existed and died fighting their students . 

Or Thawks backstory with his father and Bison.

C.Viper actually having a partner named  Blue Raven who sacrificed himself tracking down Bison. 

All of these elements were hidden in the backstory because Capcom refused to put them on the forefront, and fans should be considerate of the backstory giving them so much of the content of the main characters so far. 

The Dhalsim vs Oro story was important because it doesn’t give the energy they use (qi) a polarity. It’s not just good vs evil or negative vs positive.  Oro describes the power just as it should be viewed. A grey area free to the users will. Psycho Power, SnH, Mu, Kiko, whatever the user calls the power it’s all the same source distilled upon the users will and values. 

I'm so sorry! please forgive me I just wanted pretty pictures. 😭

His ASF portrayal was actually my preferred FANG. In-game is too wacky. Prologue stories was too serious. I felt ASF hit right in the middle in a good way. The scene where he kills the scientist was genuinely unnerving to me. He’s prancing around like a peacock before gleefully melting someone. Like it’s a fun game and not something completely horrifying. He was completely insane in every way. 

And yeah. His CA should’ve been anything other than that.

1 hour ago, YagamiFire said:

FANG doing the weird bird-wings arms thing

kinda weird why they want that character act something over the top like, kinda weird thinking that would be appealing overseas?

the character isnt gonna be adorable or funny with that personality and impression of fang is kinda scattered like Necali power...

Necali is mud and clay like creature in narrative and story but totally different in game.

this is a problem when separate dev dept doesn't get oriented together with design goals and limitation, likely internal miscommunication?

like someone thought fang should be like Deadpool at some point in those antics and goofiness

Edited by Shakunetsu
17 hours ago, bakfromon said:

- Side story is great to have-

Indeed it is

My favs were SF3 ones here

http://www.noe-v.com/images/articles/rf39.jpg

or the other where Zangief threw Pulk Hogen out of the ring and Sean had to finish him lol

But still my first love goes to SF chara design over everything else, and unused design give me ideas of how capcom would expand SF world

Now that Char Creation is a thing with SF6, these infos are going to be of priceless value, because give legitimacy to creations

7 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

lot of Kiki

Kiki will never satisfy my need of Capcom art though

8 hours ago, Daemos said:

It was a missed opportunity to not make FANG more serious and sadistic and keep his flamboyant side more chaotic like Joker. I blame the English VA, that CA, and overall tone in ASF.

8 hours ago, BornWinner said:

And yeah. His CA should’ve been anything other than that.

If i was in charge FANG would have got something kinda similar to this, but working differently

Imagine FANG just having cinematic scene where he manage to strike/sting his opponent many times in various parts of the body... no classic CA big instant damage, but like 5 seconds of big poison continuous damage with maybe one spike at the end (as if take these seconds for the poison to reach max effect)

Could have also added (even if the char aready have it) the nice dynamic of have to kill Fang before the poison kill you or the 5th second give you the last big damage

3 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Sooo much better than his main or story alts.

Tbh would have been a pretty good alt, would have took it instead Story or Battle one

Better as Battle actually, while Story should have still been Nguuhao uniform, possibly with the cartel uniform design being better made than the one we got lol

But would not have took it as Standard, SFV Standard one is pretty good and does it's SF job at being the right mix of original/bizzarre/stereotype/create interesting silhuette... this one is  just normal clothes without much distinctive feature and generic silhuette (example Fang would lose his signature huge sleeves)

Speaking of huge sleeves these also have a meaning in his design, 2 actually: they hide FANG's purple hands and offer the "wings" effect on his arms to help the awkward bird imagery

All his alt design have that feature, even DLC ones

That kiki design cover the first thing by adding special gloves (so he can hold her hand) but lose completely the "wings" thing

Actually does'nt even cover well first thing, as gloves solution make sense in the side-story scenario where he's not on "fighting mode", but if he have to he needs to take them off... wich will make his hands visible, losing the "concealed weapon" effect offered by sleeves.

Whole idea is that his opponent is supposed to discover his hands are special only when it's too late

5 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Actually does'nt even cover well first thing, as gloves solution make sense in the side-story scenario where he's not on "fighting mode", but if he have to he needs to take them off... wich will make his hands visible, losing the "concealed weapon" effect offered by sleeves.

Whole idea is that his opponent is supposed to discover his hands are special only when it's too late

Why would he need to take his gloves off?

2 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Why would he need to take his gloves off?

His poison and corrosive effect works only with skin contact, so he needs bare hands

In fact when he handle objects like the chess pieces or grab Sean throat without damage him he ever use the sleeve (wich is likely made with special material) as intermediate layer, as soon he touch directly Sean's portable console with his actual fingers the poison instantly start to melt hard plastic/metal

And i guess canon wise FANG without poison, going by kung fu skill alone, would likely be very low in the SF food chain

3 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Obviously, the solution to his problem is that he needs to figure out how to produce corrosive Ki. If he's such a great poison master, he should be able to pull that off.

Story imply it's not much much ki related and more a straight biological mutation as reaction to the Nguuhao training/selection, and the fact the he have these sleeves is confirmation there's no much technique to perform, his hands have been turned into weapons* that have that effect no matter what

Rather than snake bite, to understand how it works consider his hands skin more like jellyfish tentacles, even unintentional contact is enough to cause damage

*It's intresting Capcom apparently wanted a lot in SFV a char that had crazy extreme conditioning to turn hands into weapons, two unused concepts followed similar logic (one had a fist over-trained so much that hand/forearm became giant, another had skin of arms to become so hard and sharp to become like crab claws)

Guess they loved the idea of crazy conditioning in SF

Spoiler

67285564_2292300900864507_38762111586208

66928826_2292301014197829_42486484660094

Btw poison hands goes back to SF3 concepts (back then was supposed to be arab or indian fighter though), guess they merged the two ideas

3 hours ago, Daemos said:

I prefer FANG has biologically evolved to produce venom. He is half snake half man. 😄

Considering his double nature i like to see him as a combnation of 2 animals: to me Fang is a SNAKE hidden under the disguise of a CRANE

Wich work well considering how the two animals can be portrayed together

Yin yang snake and crane t-shirt design " Sticker for Sale by Mohamadkhelil  | RedbubbleTattoo uploaded by Ben O'Grady • Japanese Crane and snake, Available to be  tattooed Could be a one shot or large scale. 📧: ogradytattoo@hush.com •  Tattoodo

Crane and snake fight gracefully: origin-of-taijiquan | Flickr

One thing i really like is how FANG moveset imply how much he value use poison hands as hidden/secret weapon, proof is in his normals moveset is all about sleeve/crane strikes, while he keeps the poison/snake stuff for special situations (special moves/supers etc)

If you think about it he's intentionally "nerfing" himself holding back with normal attacks just to save the surprise effect... going by logic even FANG normal punches/palm strikes would be much more powerful if he does them with unsheated bare-hands (because the strike will become impact+ toxic/corrosive poison), but he would lose the surprise advantage

I love all that shit because really sell the idea he's first an assassin, and then a fighter

Is cool how in ASF Rashid lose the first fight likely being anaware of the poison, while in second fight he managed to not get touched/poisoned (at least till post-fight backstab, when he's looking elsewhere)

Sure, Rashid in the second have dat anime hero determination, but i think even bigger role was played by the fact he knew about the poison

I think in fact as SF character FANG become waaay less dangerous second time you fight him... assuming you survived the first, of course 😄

Edited by CESTUS III
1 hour ago, CESTUS III said:

Btw poison hands goes back to SF3 concepts (back then was supposed to be arab or indian fighter though), guess they merged the two ideas

The poison hand fighter is an old idea taken from, guess what, manga. Which in turn took the idea from old kung-fu manuals.
Remember when I wrote about Mad Bull 34 and Haggar? Well, amongst Sleepy’s outrageous adventures, there’s a curious one: he once gets recruited by Son, an old Chinese master assassin who’s retired and is now a hotel owner. Son is dying of cancer and won’t live another year, but his last desire is to kill his former apprentice Morgan, a lanky and psychopathic monster who doesn’t follow the moral code of the true professional assassin, and kills children and women for fun to rape them afterwards. Son has challenged Morgan to kill him, so he knows Morgan will come; and also knows that he has no chance against his former protégé. In the very likely case Son won’t be able to terminate Morgan, Sleepy should step in and kill Morgan in his stead, to finally purge the world from this monster. Basically, Son chooses to die in battle to atone for his sins, ensuring there wouldn’t be further consequences. To motivate Sleepy, Son offers him his hotel… and his own daughter Lei.
The interesting thing is that Son, Morgan and Lei all kill using a peculiar martial art, here called 陰手功 inshukō, “yin hand technique”. Son explains that it requires a bowl filled with sand mixed with the poisons of various plants and venomous animals. By repeatedly striking the sand every day with the bare hand, over time the practitioner can acquire a lethal poisonous hand, so powerful that it can literally dissolve the organic tissues of the victim.

Madbullassassin1.jpg

Son used to be called “Red sand hand” Son. His daughter Lei also knows the art, and styles herself as “Blue sand hand” Lei.

Madbullassassin2.jpg

Morgan is “Black sand hand” Morgan. Colour coded for your convenience, indeed.

Madbullassassin3.jpg

Madbullassassin4.jpg

Morgan obviously kills Son, then exactly as obviously Sleepy kills Morgan (spoiler!). There can be spotted various interesting ideas that Capcom later reused: the old Chinese master assassin dying of cancer and wanting to die in battle instead of illness is a concept recycled for Gen; the daughter of the aforementioned assassin seeking vengeance on her father’s killer is exactly the backstory Capcom initially thought for Chun-Li in the first pitch for Street Fighter II in 1988, when she still was to be called 智麗 Zhìlì, would’ve used mantis-style kung fu (later recycled as one of the two styles for Gen in SFZ2) and should’ve been Gen’s daughter, long before someone thought about Dorai or even making Chun-Li a cop. The concept of a female apprentice for Gen, although no longer his own daughter, briefly resurfaced during SFV development, but it was ultimately discarded. Again. But Capcom just hates to let good ideas go… Since SFIV, Gen apparently has had an ambiguous relation with Dorai, so now he’s again a sort-of mentor figure to Chun-Li.
And finally we have the eerie, tall and wiry psycho killer in sunglasses who uses poison… And that’s F.A.N.G.
Who now has his own young female apprentice. Obviously, F.A.N.G’s appearance and mannerisms owe to a number of other influences, but the impact of Mad Bull 34 is undeniable. The method of poisoning one’s own hand to make the body resistant to poison – more than that: to become poisonous itself -, didn't originate in Mad Bull 34, however, but that's another story...

Edited by Miðgarðsorm
2 hours ago, bakfromon said:

Capcom Channel (Japan) is doing a 4 part World Tour preview part 1 is up now. It doesn’t show us too much except the character creator and intro to story mode but the next 3 parts will definitely be stuff we haven’t seen before in Metro City.  

EXTREMELY hyped for this reveal. Been waiting for more info on this!

3 hours ago, bakfromon said:

Capcom Channel (Japan) is doing a 4 part World Tour preview part 1 is up now. It doesn’t show us too much except the character creator and intro to story mode but the next 3 parts will definitely be stuff we haven’t seen before in Metro City.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cool, but sadly i still don't have the answer i'm waiting the most

Can CC be used outside WT for local matches and MAYBE other single modes like arcade etc?

Like, i'm SURE at some point they will, they can't be THAT stupid (CC would lose 90% of it's potential), but i fear they will make me wait one year or more, making it a feature of S2/S3 update

Btw 2 small things i noticed

-At some point is possible see that full design of Bosch is'nt the simple/plain one we see in the gym, his normal street look include a large red traditional garment and a big decorated necklace, over the clothes we previously seen him wear

That would make him far more acceptable default design if he ever become an official char (indonesian pencak silat rep pls, would also fit him being S-E asian with dutch name)

-The flying drone with gun remind me those we see in Street Fighter Duel during the "vigilante" Ex Move