Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

15 hours ago, N-Tactix said:

Searched around for this and the Street Fighter wiki and some other English sites say this. But I haven't found anything in Japanese, I tried typing up Gill, Street Fighter and different synonyms for mother/parent in Japanese and nothing comes up. 

It wouldn't surprise me if that were one of the many facts made up by Western fans which ended up in the Old Guide, then in the various wikis. I mean, the street fighter wiki still says that Honda's shikona was Fujinoyama, and I already demonstrated that it was actually his opponent's name in Sodom's SFZ2 ending. No Japanese bio of Gill I read ever mentions his parents.

7 hours ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

It wouldn't surprise me if that were one of the many facts made up by Western fans which ended up in the Old Guide, then in the various wikis. I mean, the street fighter wiki still says that Honda's shikona was Fujinoyama, and I already demonstrated that it was actually his opponent's name in Sodom's SFZ2 ending. No Japanese bio of Gill I read ever mentions his parents.

The only results in English are the usual suspects like the wiki etc. It's funny because I remember seeing this piece of info all the way from a decade ago. The Japanese wikipedia pages are pretty reliable because they at least actually source not just the book but usually the page number and exact quote too!

Fighting games seem to be absolutely cursed when it comes to collecting their story, especially when they are blocked through a language barrier. A lot of misconceptions of SNK's story and rumours come straight from english speakers mistranslating fan sites in Spanish/Portuguese/Chinese/Arabic into English and confusing it for canon when it was originally speculation. Don't we have a new revised plot guide now? Might be worth it if @Darc_Requiemadds it to the OP.

Edited by N-Tactix

I've been looking through some of the CVS2 win quotes over the past few days. It's been fun. I don't know a lick of JPN, but thankfully there are some systems online that help give you an understanding.

Rugal says this to Bison:  以上 ない こと 、認 もらえ ?

Rough translation: "Do you recognize that there is no one more "evil" than me?"

That's the best I could get out of it. The context seems to be Rugal comparing his level of evil to Bison's. It really captures who Rugal is. One of his likes is his "Evil Heart", so he takes pride in being a pretty wicked dude. Geese doesn't even seem anywhere near as bad as Rugal. Now when it comes Bison, he's literally filled with evil energy and grows in power based on negativity. Even knowing all of this, Rugal's evil nature still feels unique enough to be in a class of its own. He was already terrible well before he gained the Orochi Power.  By the time we see him in '94, his organization had already been up and running for quite awhile.  The only villain I've ever seen refer to himself as a "Superstar".

Another thing I like about both is how their origins are still a huge mystery.

The most we know about Rugal is that he has two children and an unnamed younger brother he's estranged from. Apparently over the whole black market organization he runs.  By the time we see him in '94, his organization had already been up and running for quite awhile. 

With Bison, we know he trained under a Master that he eventually killed after developing Psycho Power. After that, he basically created Shadaloo and became the ruler of the underworld. T. Hawk's father was killed and had his land taken by Bison and Shadaloo 30 yrs prior to SF2, so Shadaloo had been around for a really long time. 

Bison and Rugal are too cool.

Edited by Doctrine_Dark
5 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

The most we know about Rugal is that he has two children and an unnamed younger brother he's estranged from. Apparently over the whole black market organization he runs.  By the time we see him in '94, his organization had already been up and running for quite awhile. 

The funniest thing about Rugal that actually might explain some stuff is from one of the dating simulators for the DS that SNK shat out during the mid 00's.

From what I can understand, there is an original character who is another descendant of Kushinada (the virgin that was rescued by the Yata tribe from being sacrificed for Orochi, Yuki, Kyo's girlfriend, is another descendant of Kushinada). This character is supervised by Rugal himself, who is making her have a forced marriage to Ash Crimson of all people. 

Considering Ash Crimson and how "Those from the Past" are a European offshoot of the Orochi Tribe on top of the intrigue surrounding Adelheid-Rose and TFTP throughout the Ash saga. It's possible that Rugal might be a distant descendant of TFTP hence why he had some Orochi capabilities and managed to sustain it after Goenitz bestowed those powers to him.

Of course this is speculation for a non-canon game, a dating simulator no less, but it's food for thought and arguably more interesting than what we have seen from some of the XIV characters. 

Edited by N-Tactix
1 hour ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

he talks about Ingrid in this one. Thoughts?

He's right for the most part. About the "canon", about the line of suspension of disbelief variable from person to person...
Regarding his last question, I can't answer because I am not the kind of person who cannot accept these characters to exist in a fighting game, so he's not asking me.

I've been playing around with Rashid. I suck with him, I don't have the 25 years of exp that I do with Ryu, so I actually have to learn him. It's not going good at all. But, I like how stylish he is. And I know he's top tier. So if I do get good I bet the ceiling is higher with him. But it's actually kinda sad how horrifically bad I am with him.

21 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

I've been looking through some of the CVS2 win quotes over the past few days. It's been fun. I don't know a lick of JPN, but thankfully there are some systems online that help give you an understanding.

Rugal says this to Bison:  以上 ない こと 、認 もらえ ?

Rough translation: "Do you recognize that there is no one more "evil" than me?"

I'd...actually be in agreement with Rugal on this one.

Rugal IS more evil than Bison.

Bison does what he does and spreads misery to increase his own power because he feeds off it all as part of his plan to dominate the world and rule it.

Rugal? He became a weapons broker because weapons kill people and he wanted more people to die because he thinks it's...awesome. He beats men to death with his bare hands and bronzes their bodies because he thinks it's bad ass. The dude fights teams of the most powerful fighters in the world 3 v 1 so he can butcher them and FLEX while he does it.

His motivation? Lulz and vanity.

Absolute pure malicious evil.  No higher goal. No greater purpose. Not even the base desire for power. NOPE. The ONLY secondary motivation Rugal has EVER been shown to have is revenge...and that's tied right into his vanity.

Rugal doesn't even have the slight flickers of honor that Bison has where Bison appreciates other peoples strength. The CLOSEST Rugal gets to that is the aforementioned horrific bronzing of fighters into human statues...and that's just to make the biggest most gruesome trophy collection in the world.

There's no one more evil than Rugal.

It's part of his charm

That depends on how you define as evil. Death is a mercy. Bison doesn't want people to die, he wants them to live in perpetual misery and fear so he can siphon their energy to grow his. For Bison killing -if it must come to that- is the means to an end, but he would sooner let people live knowing they would be haunted by him for the rest of their life.

Let's say hypothetically Bison won SF5. All the Black Moons went off, and the world descended into a post-apocalyptic and disorderly mess. Bison would have become an immortal god in this world, unstoppable as he fed off the despair of millions or even billions of people.

By comparison, Rugal is just insane. Bison next to him is Satan. He turns people in Rugals in the pursuit of his ambitions. He appreciates and even recruits the Rugals of the world because they extend his dominion by default by spreading the cancer of fear and hate. Rugal is a pawn in Bison's world.

Edited by Daemos
1 hour ago, YagamiFire said:

Bison does what he does and spreads misery to increase his own power because he feeds off it all as part of his plan to dominate the world and rule it.

Rugal? He became a weapons broker because weapons kill people and he wanted more people to die because he thinks it's...awesome. He beats men to death with his bare hands and bronzes their bodies because he thinks it's bad ass. The dude fights teams of the most powerful fighters in the world 3 v 1 so he can butcher them and FLEX while he does it.

Absolute pure malicious evil.  No higher goal. No greater purpose. Not even the base desire for power. NOPE. The ONLY secondary motivation Rugal has EVER been shown to have is revenge...and that's tied right into his vanity.

Rugal doesn't even have the slight flickers of honor that Bison has where Bison appreciates other peoples strength. The CLOSEST Rugal gets to that is the aforementioned horrific bronzing of fighters into human statues...and that's just to make the biggest most gruesome trophy collection in the world.

It's part of his charm

Rugal going "House of Wax" on his defeated foes is about as evil as it gets.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Sup bois

shit I can't even count how many pages of lore discussion I've missed out on. Has to be ~300 on SRK and another 15 here. 

But glad to see the talk is still going on

Of course we still have Oro, Akira and whoever's last Season 5 character is, but it's a bit sad knowing the additional characters that made it into the game since Season 2 have no effect on the main overarching story present in vanilla SF5, so here's hopes Capcom have learned a thing or two and can make SF6's story mode a more coherent experience

2 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

I like how alot of the KOF main villains are arguably even more evil than their Capcom ones. Even somebody as flat and badly written as Igniz (who completely ruined the NESTS Chronicles for me) is more despicable. Clone Zero pulled a Black Moons before Bison did lol.

A Shadaloo+NESTS team up would be dangerous. 

Edited by N-Tactix
5 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

It's part of his charm

Rugal is so uppity that he doesn't even want a statue of Dan ruining his collection.

2 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

Rugal is so uppity that he doesn't even want a statue of Dan ruining his collection.

His special intro with Guile is actually a very good touch and it's not just because of the bronze statues cameo in 94. Rugal is a weapons contractor, he's deeply ingrained into the military industrial complex to the point that he was able to infiltrate and completely murder Heidern's men. 

It makes sense that Guile and maybe Chun-Li would enter the tournament to investigate how deep Rugal's influence runs into Interpol and the Army. 

I really do like the extra bit of characterisation that Capcom added to the SNK characters to help them fit in with the SF guys. CVS2 and KOF99/00 with the Striker system have a sort of very special atmosphere that hasn't been replicated since and those 3 games were very much affected by the ongoing strife over at SNK. 

Edited by N-Tactix

Definitely gotta agree there. I also like how Capcom took it a step further and highlighted Rugal's ability to absorb someone's power entirely. In the KOF universe, Rugal was mainly a mimic. Aside from Geese and Krauser's moves, he says something along the lines of, "Leave Kyokugen Karate to me. Perish!!" when he defeats the Art of Fighting team. In the KOF Destiny movie, Rugal copied Heidern's Cross Cutter, Terry's Crack Shoot, and Kyo's flames. The Kusanagi bloodline restriction wasn't enough to stop him from using it.

In CVS2, Rugal tells Bison in his special intro that he's going to seize his power, and we see him absorb Akuma's Satsui no Hado in the story. It's a crossover, so they have room to play around with things. Still, I wonder if the ability to absorb someone was something he gained from the Orochi Power. 

About Rugal's slaughter of Heidern's men. I've read a few different accounts of that event:

- Rugal was being investigated by Heidern, got annoyed, kidnapped his family, and eventually killed Heidern's men, family, and beat Heidern to a pulp on the Blacknoah

-Rugal heard about Heidern's high-marks as a soldier and decided to go to his base to slaughter him and everyone else to demonstrate his power

Now the 2nd story sounds more likely. I don't think Heidern would've remained alive if he actually confronted Rugal on the Blacknoah. Then again, he defeated Saisyu on the Blacknoah and didn't turn him into a statue. I still don't know how Saisyu survived the damn Blacknoah being detonated in the first place. Hell, Rugal even lost a arm during the explosion, so Saisyu coming out in one piece is magic.

@YagamiFire"Evil is what keeps life interesting" - Rugal 

Rugal embodies everything about that quote.

10 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

Now the 2nd story sounds more likely. I don't think Heidern would've remained alive if he actually confronted Rugal on the Blacknoah.

Rugal traveled to a military base where Heidern was getting promoted hence why his wife and child where there. What is fanon was that the base was in Brazil. When the developers were asked about whether Rugal regrets what he did they said something along the lines of "to him, Heidern was at the wrong place at the wrong time" this it's likely the first one to me. 

What's impressive to me is that Heidern doesn't seem to hear any ill will towards Adelheid and even helped him out in XIII, showing that Heidern is genuinely a caring man. It was Rugal who deserved to be punished, not his children. Same with Terry looking after Rock. 

Edited by N-Tactix
1 hour ago, BootyWarrior said:

Adelheid doesn't hate Rugal

I never said he did unless you're just bringing that point up. Adelheid is an earnest fighter like this father. Difference is, that's he's honorable and a good sport unlike his father who would self destruct the entire place over losing. 

It's a shame that Adelheid wasn't playable in XIII. He was basically the third protagonist of the saga after Ash and Elizabeth. 

8 minutes ago, N-Tactix said:

I never said he did unless you're just bringing that point up. Adelheid is an earnest fighter like this father. Difference is, that's he's honorable and a good sport unlike his father who would self destruct the entire place over losing. 

It's a shame that Adelheid wasn't playable in XIII. He was basically the third protagonist of the saga after Ash and Elizabeth. 

Given horrid artstyle, it may have been for the best. Can't imagine how they'd have fucked up his look.

4 hours ago, N-Tactix said:

I never said he did unless you're just bringing that point up.

I'm just bringing it up. Most people like to group Adelheid with Rock under the assumption that he hates Rugal.

Edit: Rugal even gave his kids a home (sky noah). He can't be pure evil if he doesn't treat his kids like s***

Edited by BootyWarrior
12 minutes ago, BootyWarrior said:

Most people like to group Adelheid with Rock under the assumption that he hates Rugal.

It's cruel irony that Geese did the same thing to his son what Rudolph did to him as a child. Now that I think of it, KOF has a lot of caring parent figures: Saisyu, Heidern, Takuma, Foxy+Diana etc

Edited by N-Tactix
5 hours ago, HD-Man said:

They really need to put that stuff in the actual games tho.

Just make a guide/codec as an extra in the game. You could even have certain info needing to be unlocked under certain conditions eg winning enough matches with Guile/Sakura etc to unlock info on them as an incentive to get players to bother with the option rather just leaving it there. 

On 5/13/2021 at 10:04 PM, Chun-Li_Forever said:

he talks about Ingrid in this one. Thoughts?

What a waste of 12 minutes. He starts the video saying that they have something in common, then plays fool for most on the length of the video, only to touch the real issue at the 13:00 mark: they don't belong.

I couldn't care less if Ingrid is added to Super Moe Warrior 7 Stellar Edition. I just don't want her in Street Fighter.

Ingrid and Ruby Heart I basically see as the "protagonists" of the crossover games. It is common to have a original character added in to crossovers, just look at Neo Geo Colosseum or Project X Zone. 

A Capcom All Stars that focuses on the scrapped plot with Ingrid, Death and the Code Holders would be great. 

Edited by N-Tactix
1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

You guys probably already know this but I thought this was neat.

Nice to see someone reprise my older posts from SRK.
Karate baka ichidai didn't inspire only Ryu and Sagat, but also Makoto (who was a "back to the source" compared to Ryu and Ken, who had become too "supernatural" by SFIII time) and, partly, Zangief, Balrog and Vega.

@MiðgarðsormI never knew that about Ken, interesting. I can really see "Benny" shine through Ken in his SF3 animations, who Akira Yasuda (AKIMAN) animated.

Also, just as I thought nobody cared about SNK translations I come across this:

http://marsdragon.brontoforum.us/SNK/site/

The earlier SNK localisations are actually more accurate and more competent than later efforts. Compared to US!Whip being a psychopath instead of the sympathetic yet stern way she addresses Krizalid in KOF99 to the "Lovable Igniz" (which was not in the Japanese version) from my own findings, this is a breath of fresh air. Hopefully they continue their project, they're currently halfway through KOF94.

ingrid already has a strong impression of being beyond time especially in SFXT

that won't be easy to change her impression especially if Capcom fueling it recently with this

06_sfxtcomic01.jpg

She the closest to be compare now to Kronica not Rose unless Rose is turned into some sort of Fire God Liu Kang equivalent latter

There is still a con with deity like Ingrid 

Her being established with an impression to be a deity like figure is that she is the only character that can give us the reason for a total reboot clear of anything supernatural in SF by re-rewriting everything out of existence including psycho power, satsu no hadou and soul power then turning everyone down to martial artist, psychics and ki enhancers.

So it shreds majority of the elements of psycho power to just a ki level of energy for projectile blast, which fits SF2 bison that can't do teleport, no body swapping and more of a martial artist. No clones story, Shadaloo turns into more like cobra organization and Necali didn't awaken.

That fits SF3 timeline

• Bison as a martial artist with a terrorist organization, he either went into hiding or died, No dolls and neo shadaloo, "G" being a famous social media influencer never happened and has no satellite, So "Q" movements cannot be compared to "G", So there is no other lead to "Q" to possibly be compared with because "G" never became famous.  No SIN and Seth.
  • Guile and Nash is still there but no Frankenstein Nash
  • We still have Juri being a Taekwondo expert, Viper someone that used tech, Cammy as a brainwashed assassin latter turned into a delta red agent, Abel can still exist.
  • So we end up with SF3 timeline where everyone turns into gene manipulation(secret society), training and ki manipulation instead of the intense level of supernatural like psycho power and etc. So explains SF3 Akuma not being like SF5 Akuma.

A reboot with Rose can only provide limited kind of change. 

• Since she could only community to herself through symbols, That means she could only communicate with little details
  • she could change things were she was able to do tarot not from the very start and existence of the universe, not even from the very beginning of her existence.
  • She could also only alter events from what they will happen and how they would supposed to happen not totally stopping it.
  • Knowing things in advance doesn't grant you the power to make you totally in control of everything and everyone else will power and resources. 
  • Rose is a person that can be at just one place at a time and isn't all knowing or isn't omnipresent and omniscient, Soul illusion is just an illusion and those illusion has no individual separate consciousness. 
  • With time travel like possibilities she could only deal with few certain event at a time not wipe them all at the same time. 

Also by not mentioning certain story elements that like energies, ki/chi and power in a reboot like a time travel or via Rose means of altering the future doesn't doesn't make them not existing at all.

Because "not mentioning" is not equal to "not existing" it would be more like "it's not just been discovered yet"  or  "it's not just been explored yet" that's how it would be interpreted instead by the fanbase and theorist because it's still the same exact universe and it's still there.

Bringing Ingrid with that kind of deity capabilities then making her playable is a terrible choice, So she won't be playable and just be like her SFXT characterization then cutting the supernatural characters isn't still a good thing for gaming companies like having DLC characters and some of them are popular in the poll. There's no way Capcom gonna trim SF to be a full on martial arts themed fighting game because of profit and character popularity. They just probably start a new franchise if that was the case to prioritize a theme.

Luise.Meyrink.full.709163.jpg

If they bring ingrid with a different backstory that could work something like Luise Meyrink in KOF MI, but the thing is Capcom can't do that because of her established impression in previous recent games.  It's near impossible to re-rewritten off her character give her minor text and a silly individual story wouldn't help either or give clarity of what she is supposed to in SF universe because people will still link her other recent presentation from other recent games.

Unless she becomes the new protagonist and the center of the plot in a SF cinematic mode instead of other typical protagonist story character. That's the solution I only see for her.

Like how Thanos is MCU was introduced instead of being a simp to lady death in Marvel comic universe. Thanos being a SIMP is his character motivation in the comics not a guy that want to save the universe with balance and etc.

DcCnXx9VQAAsV5z.jpg

Because if you just put Ingrid in the game with the same individual story without any struggle and understanding about her, she end up still having the impression being capable of something huge because whatever isn't explored at her would automatically viewed as something she won't have any problems with.

The problem with that role for ingrid's new story, would fit and suitable more for Rose having to time travel or even for Menat than ingrid. If Rose send Menat instead if the time travel would be literal. It's like Necali as a temporary replacement or a filler substitute for Akuma in Ryu character development in SFV cinematic mode.

It's like if Bamco did a OVA of Dragonball Super a story centered about WHIS or Zeno having struggle and goals that they need to compromised with the will of those that surrounds them, it demystify them in process. That's how Capcom should do with Ingrid in a desperate way to insert her in SF as a native playable recurring character.

maxresdefault.jpg

If Thanos was just inserted without a clear focus in-depth story in MCU, other than a mysterious Titan conqueror, people would still think of a possibility of him being exactly like his comic counterpart that some area weren't just explored yet so its still a possibility. 

A different Thanos from his comic counterpart was accepted because he was explored in a right way, so people knew it's a different Thanos, so the rumor and speculation of possibility of the comic book Thanos is entirely separated. Same thing with Ultron in MCU and the comics.

Thats what with wandavision thing, It's like people continually talking about MEPHISTO when the series was running because he wasn't fully explored and there are things that can connect and can relate to him even it was totally unrelated to him in that universe because it's different and there was no plan yet let see in the later strange movie what they would connect.

On 5/18/2021 at 6:58 AM, mikros said:

What a waste of 12 minutes. He starts the video saying that they have something in common, then plays fool for most on the length of the video, only to touch the real issue at the 13:00 mark: they don't belong.

the guy is only relevant with animation talk the rest is meh and more on personal taste lol

sometimes he adds information like those were official but they weren't even had real sources

speculation and theory should never be talked like real thing

he intended not to give in-depth detail when he drops those name on discord lol

He did a comparison ingrid to rose as equal, the issue there was more than being a supernatural that's an act to mislead

Edited by Shakunetsu
5 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Metal Slug has been integrated into KoF now.

It's been that way since Ralf and Clark appeared in MS6. 

Also how several Metal Slug characters are present in the Ikari's XIV ending during Heidern's briefing. And if one of them ever gets into KOF then they'll just a be a toned down alternate version of then. Just as Athena and Sie in KOF are nowhere near as powerful as they were in their original game. 

also funny is how Clark Still supposedly has a Shellfish allergy:

Edited by N-Tactix
5 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Metal Slug has been integrated into KoF now. Man, SNK going all in with KoF as a crossover now.

The way SNK has  gone with redesigning characters to fit them into a fighting game, has always been *chef's kiss*. The world they created with KoF is probably unmatched in it's greatness and diversity. Which makes it all the more sad that, in the recent past, we were stuck with trash characters like Ash and even now with Shun'ei, when this world has so much more to offer.

42 minutes ago, Dracu said:

we were stuck with trash characters like Ash

I don't really care too much for Ash or the characters introduced between 2003 and XIII with the exception of Elizabeth's teammates and Adelheid but Ash did do his purpose and fit in somewhat well. 

He's supposed to be a hate sink. The guy looks so androgynous and effeminate that some people even to this day still want to think he's a woman, the way he ambushes Chizuru and Iori and got away was despicable and seeing him cause so much drama and fallings out amongst his teammates was just fabulous to see play out. 

Everything from his design, playstyle, personality was deliberately meant to make people despise him and it worked very well. It was like we going on a journey with all the other characters going from despising him to learning more about his true motives which made him have a satisfactory end to his story where he made amends with Elizabeth and showed his true intentions, which is more than I can say about how K' unfortunately had his story thrown off the rails with 2001. With Ash Crimson, you do have to kind of step back and look at it from a more neutral perspective because I used to blindly hate him as a kid/pre-teen just for him being such a prick and looking the way he did. 

Compared to Shun'ei, who is a masterclass on how not to design a character, Ash looks like a masterpiece (which he isn't). If I didn't know who Shun was and you made me look at a pic of him, I couldn't tell you anything about his character, his color palette is just a mess, his personality doesn't match his look at all. Falcoon's art of him wearing a closed tangzhuang in black and white is far better than what we got. He screams "committee approved character" 

Even still, Ash isn't as good as Kyo/Iori and definitely not near K' levels of being a good character but he is misunderstood. And I can't believe I wrote a post defending the little gremlin, goes to show how bad Shun'ei is. And it's going to interesting to see where Ash goes next considering he no longer has a reason to act the way he did, everybody has their memory of him wiped due to the events of 2003-XIII being made into a relatively peaceful time and Elizabeth is right behind him. 

Edited by N-Tactix