Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

...I can't say this isn't a surprising reveal...

But...uh...this design is pretty generic AF

Also are they just leaning into the meme? Even as a blond guy, don't we have enough blond guys in the game already? Why not someone with like bright red hair (Iori style) or even auburn or something?

Edited by YagamiFire
Just now, Phantom_Miria said:

Sad day when you gotta hope that Maximilian Dood got his crazy lore theory right because it'd be a more interesting outcome than Luke being just Luke.

Honestly, that's an insult to CapCom

@YagamiFireI remember in SRK when you said something along the lines of the last character being akin to introducing "Ash Crimson before the Ash arc" 

10 minutes ago, N-Tactix said:

Honestly, that's an insult to CapCom

@YagamiFireI remember in SRK when you said something along the lines of the last character being akin to introducing "Ash Crimson before the Ash arc" 

Yeah I don't mind at all if they are introducing the next game's 'viewpoint' character or whatever as the last character of releases for SF5. In fact, I think it's a halfway decent idea...

...and for Luke I like his fighting style from what I've seen so far. Going MMA is not a bad idea at all and he looks pretty neat. I will ABSOLUTELY try him out on release (which as per Capcom usual is WAY too long of a schedule...) but his design is just...very uninteresting. A blond guy in shorts with a prominent body tattoo that has light punch-gloves and uses a hybrid fighting style? Yeah his name is ED and we JUST GOT HIM.

The design seems VERY derivative and even redundant in a lot of ways. I don't hate it by any stretch but it feels like a background character or like a Fighting Layer character...not an SF character. He's missing design elements. Like, for one, his tattoo should be WAY more prominent with darker colors and stronger lines to make it part of his at-a-glance look...instead it feels like just something thrown on.

I dunno not feeling it but maybe his alt costumes will be better

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Max seems to think he's Captain Commando's civilian identity. People are determined to make him a pre-existing character.

Captain Commando is Mars Carlyle though...I'm wondering what his deal is gonna be. I hope he doesn't steal Alex's spotlight, buuuuut....I fear it already lol

Edited by ShockDingo

Yeah the Lucky Colt/Gunloc stuff is VERY interesting

As is the American flag tattoo motif AND the dog tags

Has anyone suggested that this 'peak at the future of Street Fighter' might be LITERAL?

Luke might not be a contemporary of the characters/story of SF5. He might be a LITERAL vision of the future. Taking that possibility into consideration really changes options for Luke. If SF6 involves any kind of time skip for instance it could really change the options for Luke's relation to other preexisting characters

4 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

Has anyone suggested that this 'peak at the future of Street Fighter' might be LITERAL?

That’s exactly how I took it when I saw them say it. I imagined it might have been someone’s son and SF6 is going to have a timeskip. I first thought Ken, but then I remember his son’s name is Mel. Then I thought he could be related to Guile because of the dogtags but I think he only has a daughter. Maybe he’s related to Charlie and trying to live up to his legend after his sudden death in Alpha 2?

I don’t know, he could be Rufus’s son for all we know.

Others pointed him out that he could be related to Joe because of the STAR?

Joe is a kickboxer, and known especially for his magnificent Savate. Although he was undefeated in American kickboxing, he later ran into money problems and turned to violent crime to fix them. Currently he fights in tournaments under the moniker "Superstar". He likes to collect star-shaped promo items, and believes that hard work (and a Rolling Sobat) is the key to becoming a true super star!

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column-112444?lang=en

Edited by Shakunetsu
6 minutes ago, Lord_Vega said:

He got braces on his teeth. Cool!

Well, maybe "that man" he mentions during his intro... could it be Joe?

Might be a clear mouthguard?

EDIT: Oh. Nope. On closer inspection I agree it looks like braces.

Okay so is it spooky that I mentioned Ash Crimson-type as #5 character and both Ash and Luke have braces? 😆

Edited by YagamiFire

Why not just MAKE HIM JOE!  That's TWICE now what should have been a Joe revamp went to another character!

How am I ever gonna get "EVERYONE IS HERE" if they keep doing this?!

6 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

The hair very much reminded me of Charlie (but in reverse)

His hair actually reminds me of Dean from FF3.

Final-fight-3-dean.png

Edited by DarthEnderX

It's very unlikely they'll do a big time-skip after SFIII. Gotta keep the girls young and attractive to sell swimsuit costumes.

Alex will suffer a worse fate than K' after they introduced Ash Crimson. The climax of Alex's career is beating Gill who was obviously holding back like he did vs Urien, Ibuki & Dudley. Then getting perfected by Ryu in an alleyway. 

The way people hating on Luke is similar to the hate Ash and the SFIII cast got when they were shown.

Edited by BootyWarrior
9 hours ago, N-Tactix said:

He has the same voice actor

So what? He's still not Kyo, thank goodness.
Anyway, SFV ends opening a whole array of new mysteries and LEAVING open ALL of them; classic Capcom.
Who or what is G? They had to use ROSE, who wasn't even scheduled until the last season, just to reveal he's indeed SFV's last boss; too bad he... hasn't done ANYTHING actually bad apart from... I don't know, ominously hinting we're all gonna die? Come on!
What is Neo Shadaloo up to? They seemed willing to kidnap Ryu for who knows what purpose, judging by the CapcomCup 2017 trailer.
Is Mad Gear really plotting something?
All forgotten and swept under the rug like the big role NECALLI seemed being destined to play in the very first SFV trailer. Tons of big ideas and still nothing actually moves forward, that's the impression SFV leaves on me.

12 minutes ago, BootyWarrior said:

Gotta keep the girls young and attractive to sell swimsuit costumes.

I forgot to consider this one, 

Looks like Capcom knows costumes is more profitable than aiming for the retail.

So more sexy costumes and crossover costumes. They probably even sold well than nostalgia one.

12 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Ash and Luke have braces?

Does he? I know he has nail varnish and freckles. Might need to catch up on XI today.

5 hours ago, BootyWarrior said:

The way people hating on Luke is similar to the hate Ash and the SFIII cast got when they were shown.

After first impressions have settled down, I don't think he's the absolute WORST choice they decided on but I do hope they refine him his design and presence in later games so that he isn't a waste.

I would love to get a behind the scenes look at the writing for this game because it feels like every season they changed their minds as to where they actually wanted things to go. 

Season 1: We're showing how Bison died while slowly leading into SF3

Season 2: Ed worries about Bison possessing him while leading his own band of Shadaloo rogues 

Season 3: G is some weird dude that's alluding to the apocalypse but he also might be Q?

Season 4: Gill is starting to make his move but is also weirded out by G

Season 5: Rose wants to reset the timeline to stop G. And whatever Luke's deal is I guess

They at least decided on G eventually but even then they did NOTHING to actually show or explain who/what G is and why we should even give a shit about him, so I consider it a dropped ball in that regard. I don't even know what Ed's deal is now, dude somehow got a worse deal than Alex and got replaced in his own game. They seriously need better writers for SF6.

1 hour ago, Scotia said:

I would love to get a behind the scenes look at the writing for this game because it feels like every season they changed their minds as to where they actually wanted things to go. 

Same, that's part of the big confusion I've had for a few years. I can understand things change, but it looks like they were scrambling to fix something multiple times. With how close in canon SF3 is and how so many new plot points popped up, it's jarring that nothing's answered as Midgarsorm mentioned. As you pointed out, Scotia, they appeared to be moving towards something each season but then spun around. With how Necalli was ultimately nothing major and how G is tied to Rose's worst fears, they've got something super important brewing (even the interview with Nakayama said the team is excited at seeing how people are trying to tie G, Q, and the G project together), but just as G is getting started with a fancy space station, boss-worthy stage filled with fans and minions, and Rose confirming that he's not what he appears to be and is the end of all things, we're hitting the end of the game and the final character seems to be pointing to SF6's future. It's frustrating. I wonder how much of the story focus' shifting was due to the alleged drama behind the scenes? I do hope that things are smoothed out lore wise for SF6 now that it seems the current team's synergy is better.

Edit: Also, with Alex, he BETTER not be shafted. That would suck. I just hope that Luke being a "key player" means he's part of the protag posse but not shoving Alex out of the way. If Alex is large and incharge and Luke joins on his quest along the way, I'd be fine with that.

Edited by ShockDingo

And also, It looks like EDs fate is decided also either killed or forgotten in the limbo.

ED was force to a "role" that they even make him grow instantly as an adult for unexplained reasons.

The problem is that they put it on the last spot which is the most anticipated spot while there are misleading rumors expecting the future of crossover titles which led to hyping about crossover characters. 

From Demitri, Kyo, Kazuya and Rook. which cause a really negative impression that gave many pressure on the character anticipation being so wildest ever than before.

I get the thing about Capcom vs SNK anniversary and Kyo's the same voice actor, but the whole Rook's birthday and the release date being similar doesn't make sense to link the two, It's too far fetch.

And then there's also memes linking his character design that might inspired by Logan Paul, which is unlikely because the match was not something like last year it just so recent it's just a terrible coincident.  It's the timing that went wrong. So they are force probably revealed it now than later.

Then lastly the whole blonde again thing probably isn't something that Capcom is giving a notice or something that they think wouldn't affect their last character because they aren't really aware of but maybe next time they will monitor the count.

Edited by Shakunetsu
5 hours ago, Scotia said:

Looking at the credits, people exclusively from DIMPS are credited for the story. It makes me wonder if the DIMPS team just tried to go off what Capcom told them, it would explain how wildly inconsistent the stories can get in quality and tone. 

It's kind of sad because SFV was supposed to be the game that bridged the gap between the rest of the series and 3 only for it to suddenly go in all sorts of directions after ASF yet with so many loose threads left hanging. Story-wise, Capcom need to really commit to trying to tell their stories all the way through next time round and I doubt they will do that well because of all these different elements thrown in. 

Just now, N-Tactix said:

Looking at the credits, people exclusively from DIMPS are credited for the story. It makes me wonder if the DIMPS team just tried to go off what Capcom told them, it would explain how wildly inconsistent the stories can get in quality and tone. 

Capcom throughout the SFV lifecycle had many shuffling and shake up in roles. Maybe even DIMPS regardless who their higher ups is.

So they(who is currently in-charge) likely to see the story as something a limitation to develop their games. Unlike DBFZ that already been based in a separate media.

The first half of SFV is probably led in a different way along with different priorities.

The data from the character popularity and player usage also reveals what they should aim for and what they(who is currently in-charge)  shouldn't do. So previous plans and priorities had likely to shifted along with the deciding fate of the future of the characters for SF.

35 minutes ago, N-Tactix said:

It's kind of sad because SFV was supposed to be the game that bridged the gap between the rest of the series and 3 only for it to suddenly go in all sorts of directions after ASF yet with so many loose threads left hanging. Story-wise, Capcom need to really commit to trying to tell their stories all the way through next time round and I doubt they will do that well because of all these different elements thrown in. 

Capcom should have continued the story of SFV by other means. Even if they didn't want to expand on the story mode like Xrd and MK11 did they continue have used arcade mode to push things forward instead of wasting art assists redoing past things. 

13 hours ago, BootyWarrior said:

There's only so many ways you can throw a fireball. Akatsuki throws his fireballs similar to Gill/Urien but i wouldn't call that a rip off or paying homage to them.

Yeah and one thing I'll point out is that John is throwing straight punches for his...

Luke, however? His attacks are more like hooks...

...but more importantly they're more like the motions Guile uses to throw Sonic Booms but with only one hand to throw the attack 🤔

1 hour ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Kind of a grim look for future "story modes" in the video with the way Sugar Punch talks about how Luke's inclusion might affect Street Fighter in the future.

I think people may be reading too much into whatever Capcom meant with Luke and "a look into the future of Street Fighter", especially until he's actually getting released and we can check him and his story properly. If anything Luke looks like a super SFV character, with the "V" thing on his chest and back that's kinda like Necalli with V-Trigger on.

I hope they don't do the timeskip thing because fighting games, and especially a legacy one like Street Fighter, relies a lot on established characters and their designs. SFIII was a huge risk back in the day and making a Street Fighter game with barely any of the legacy Street Fighter characters nowadays would be complete suicide.

People want their old characters back, and they preferably want them looking and playing the same or similarly.

Good luck selling a game where only Ryu and Chun are the legacy characters and their designs have been aged up.

The guy also seems like J.Mccoy in Kaiser Knuckle

tumblr_ntef1qJw7G1qd9g7oo1_1440103598_co

there are also some parallel with Luke that was already mentioned online by others 

Like Lud in RumbleFish

rumblefish2-screenshot12.png

13 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Kind of a grim look for future "story modes" in the video with the way Sugar Punch talks about how Luke's inclusion might affect Street Fighter in the future.

I don't really take that guy impression of the story other than animation talks.

And SF cannot really go on full on Strive character design like his standard because SF is more grounded like Tekken. Tekken is the closest they can do along with KOF.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Like some mentioned earlier it's like Capcom direction is where they can sell costumes and where they can squeeze more out than the retail purchase and characters.

So well received characters(not nostalgia) will always return, more females and more pseudo guest characters for the costumes. Capcom already gauge which character had huge following and has an effective reception to the public.

Luke is more of an artistic expression or preference of someone in Capcom, like the common design of Capcom protagonist in prior games even before SF, from unknown soldier, captain commando, kevin strayker and etc. 

Some has similar named attack like SONIC FIST. So whoever in-charge that kind of stylistic choice for a character with show up. They even put a CPS logo in their.

Same thing with other designers that left Capcom they tried to import their artistic expression and preference without to a newer character.

The thing is whoever in-charge with SF NOW in Capcom and has a strong opinion and voice in their internal, he really needs to balance his preference to the character demands.

12 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I hope they don't do the timeskip thing because fighting games, and especially a legacy one like Street Fighter, relies a lot on established characters and their designs. SFIII was a huge risk back in the day and making a Street Fighter game with barely any of the legacy Street Fighter characters nowadays would be complete suicide.

People want their old characters back, and they preferably want them looking and playing the same or similarly.

Good luck selling a game where only Ryu and Chun are the legacy characters and their designs have been aged up.

There are some wanted radical change for the sake of it or even wanted things to be like something else.

Hopefully SF won't lose it's identity.

Edited by Shakunetsu