Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

44 minutes ago, Dragonfave723 said:

Apparently, voice actors for Ibuki has been recast in both languages.

spacer.png

Ibuki’s Japanese VA, Ayumi Fujimura, announced an indefinite hiatus from voice acting back in 2019. When Season V was being developed, it looks like she was already on her hiatus to come back for Ibuki. 

While I don’t believe she’s done the same, Kat Steel probably couldn’t come back for Season V as well to voice Ibuki.

Thoughts

Oro Story Mode: I love how Oro (Seemingly the oldest fighter in SF lore) is tight with both Rose (who could practically be immortal herself as well) and Dhalsim. What I can take away from this is that while it's pretty much confirmed that Shadaloo is done: their armies gone, their kings scattered, any physical institutions crumbled, and all assets ceased, there is always a chance for Bison to comeback. Interestingly, if he were to comeback, I'm inferring from this story that he'll come back as some sort of specter, or spiritual form.

Maybe corrupting the mind of young potential hosts and feeding off their negative energy to return to form once again. Worst case scenario: next game, M. Bison doesn't come back as a character, but maybe as an "extension" of a new character or puppet form.

I do think that the days of Shadaloo and world domination are over though. I don't think M. Bison will ever return to the global power he once yielded. And like many empires, they would take considerable time to rebuild. 

Like with Rose's story mode, there is talk about an inevitable "apocalypse" in Oro's story mode. So maybe as we head towards the SFIII story, I wonder if we'll get any more answers to it. Maybe a deeper look into what Gill and the Illuminati's plans are for those who aren't the chosen few to be saved? 

And certainly seeing the Ryu/Oro foreshadowing in the final two dialogues in Oro's story.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Akria Story mode: It's got an anime feel to it, with it's friends-hanging-out vibes, misunderstandings, and of course BEACH EPISODE BABY!!!

Just want to mention the elephant ninja in the room: they changed VAs for Ibuki. (I play with the voices in English, so I don't have any opinions on the Japanese voice difference). I will say that Ibuki's original voice did sound much more grating that the one in Akira's story mode. That said, I have to admit that annoying trait about her voice does make Ibuki sound like Ibuki. Both sound good, but personally, I prefer her old VA. We'll see if Cristina Vee will continue voicing her moving forward, or if this is just a one-time replacement deal.

(Noticed different dialogue boxes)

I'm totally for Akira joining the Karin and friends (because lord knows she's just gonna be the muscle girl on Karin's entourage). I wonder if R. Mika got replaced, or if she's on a muscle pilgrimage with Zangief? I would love to see an anime or comic of these five (maybe including Makoto and Elena as well) just hanging out at the mall like normal young adults do. Akira does feel like a welcoming fit.

Rival school flashback for the 2nd fight. However, it's kinda weird: Akira was on a mission to find her brother, and yet he's available in VT1 and Criitical art form? Is there something that I'm missing with the Rival Schools lore? Has that story passed, and Akira is just training with Sakura?

Someone add Delfone Bakery to the SF Lore! (And of course Karin would purchase the whole company. Because she's rich, she's Karin, and she can do whateeeeeeeeeeeeeever she wants)

Fun fact: Akira's VA Kayli Mills is an absolute sweets gremlin, and LOVE doughnuts.

If any of you know me, you know I LOVE my beach and swimsuit tropes in anime. And it felt like a sprinkle of joy with the final scene. Give me Karin's red swimsuit as a DLC ASAP, and I want that Blanka Chan ball as well!

Another intersting random fact: According the the SF Wiki, Akira dislikes swimming and has aquaphobia, so I thought it was interesting that Sakura complemented on her being a good swimmer. Maybe Nagare Namikawa of Rivals Schools gave her some lessons? (I'm not famliar with Rival Schools lore, so I'm open for some enlightenment) 

Overall, no big implications on the long term story, but more about character relationships. I love anime, so this entire story mode felt like an anime episode, which I loved. It was fun, and I liked it for what it was.

Edited by Chun-Li_Forever

Finished both story modes;

Akira; 

Spoiler

Not a lot to really talk about here, it was basically everything I thought Akira's story would be which was fine. Through Sakura she gets to integrate into SF's world by meeting Ibuki and Karin and fighting them which is pretty much the easiest way for them to do it but I can't really fault for them for that. Flashback with Sakura was super basic, disappointed we didn't even get a drawing for it. I did think Daigo would have some form a role in Akira's story though, given how linked the two are outside the story. 

Yeah, I enjoyed it though despite it probably seeming like I didn't lol, just wasn't a lot here that was terribly interesting but I knew that going in. It's cool to see Rival Schools be integrated into the world of SF finally, it's really long overdue. Really hope we see more RS characters in 6 like Akira coming back along with Batsu, Kyosuke etc. but I feel like this story was basically Capcom opening the door towards that, as if they were basically saying "Hey these characters can show up now.", so for that I liked it.

Oro;

Spoiler

Ehhhhh I'm sort of mixed on this one. I've really felt like a lot of the later character stories in this game have just been characters standing around and talking vaguely about things that might happen without explaining anything and this was just more of the same of that. Oro talks in riddles with Dhalsim who comes to some conclusion that isn't explained but the characters just continue talking as if they did explain it. Gill's was a lot of this too and I just don't enjoy having to pause the story to re-read dialogue in the hopes of maybe figuring out what these characters are talking about. Idk maybe I'm dumb and it's obvious what they were talking about but I still don't have a clue what Oro was saying. 

However, I really enjoyed the ending (with some caveats) and how it leads into Oro's role in SF3 with him looking for his successor. Definitely appreciate them continuing to tie into the events of that game and makes me feel confident that SF6 will be moving past it (instead of it being a re-telling of SF3 that some people seem to think will happen for some reason). That being said, definitely rolling my eyes HARD at Oro implying that once again the person who's gonna come in and save the day is Ryu. I love Ryu's role in SF3 because he's just focusing on being the best fighter he can be instead of kicking down the door five minutes before the end and defeating the main villain, so to think we're already being told that it's going to happen again really does not get me excited lol. Already feels like Luke is just gonna be the next Abel/Rashid. 

So yeah, OK story that I mostly enjoyed just for seeing Oro again. Felt like most of it was just people speaking in riddles as if they were trying their hardest to not actually say anything but it ended on a high note with the SF3 lead in. Definitely not my favourite character story but there's been worse ones. 

In conclusion; they weren't bad but nothing really crazy was going on in them, just more mysterious riddle-speak that doesn't really explain anything. Feels like since S4 they've just been buying time with the story until they can move on to the next game and start from scratch there. I'm basically waiting for Luke's story at this point, really hope he brings something good that builds interest towards SF6. 

Oro's Story:

Spoiler

Oro’s story begins with him having a sparring match with Rose. When the match is concluded, Oro begins to talk to Rose about her search for a strange energy. When Bison was wiped out, the positive energy of the world returned.

However, in the midst of all that, Rose began to sense a disturbing energy emitting from G. Sensing it alone wasn’t enough for her to get a full understanding, so she’ll need to inspect it directly with her soul. Her sparring match with Oro was specifically for the purpose of refining her Soul Power. Rose apologized, but Oro was perfectly fine with it. After all, he received a stylish shirt from Rose in the process. Rose then takes her leave.

Oro has a talk with his pet turtle, Yamasen, about Rose’s kind gesture. He believes it was ample proof that she was in love with him. Unfortunately it was far too late in his lifetime. Had this been a century earlier, things could be different. Oro makes note of the strange energy before taking off to eat dinner.

Oro goes to visit his good friend Dhalsim to not only share a meal, but to also talk about the current state of the world. Oro asks Dhalsim what would happen when an evil ambition drives the world to the brink of destruction. Dhalsim assumes Oro’s talking about Bison, but that’s not what Oro is referring to.

The biggest threat to the world wasn’t Bison’s Psycho Power and Shadaloo. It’s the force of will, and dark ambition of Bison that is attempting to consume the entire world. Dhalsim has a hard time believing Bison could still have that type of effect on the world despite no longer existing. Oro then challenges Dhalsim to a match to give him further meaning on his words.

The match had more meaning to it than fun. It was to show the strength of one’s will. Bison’s physical form may be gone, but the remnants of his dark ambition still exists. The true nature of Psycho Power is corrupting and controlling the mind’s of others. If this dark ambition were to be instilled into others, the apocalypse still has a great chance of taking place.

Oro believes if such a powerful will could threaten the world, then those who are in the right state of mind could potentially have the power to save the world. This is where the meaning of “strength” comes in. Most who seek it...tend to do it for all the wrong reasons. Usually for goals such as domination and destruction. A natural consequence that is pretty meaningless to the big picture.

Using strength to overwhelm, control, or kill isn’t the be all end all of strength. It’s a single interpretation. A person free of those desires that only choose to seek strength for the right reasons could be the one to potentially prevent the apocalypse from taking place. It’d have to be someone with that kind of strength. Nothing more, nothing less. Oro’s now ready to eat some curry, but Dhalsim still wants to probe Oro’s mind. Oro suggests that Dhalsim and the other young people figure things out for themselves.

Oro is amused at the idea of finding someone in the world that’s seeking strength while being both pure of mind and heart. It’s something he believes could be a very interesting endeavor.”

Akira's Story:

Spoiler

The story begins with Akira pulling up to the Kanzuki Estate. The place appears to be as impressive as she was expecting it to be, though she questions if a certain someone really intends to have whatever event they scheduled there. Next we see Ibuki on her way to a “girls tea party” at the Kanzuki Estate. These parties always seem to end with them beating each other down, but Ibuki wonders if things will be different this time. Despite the violence that often occurs, the desserts are what keep her coming.

Ibuki spots Akira as she’s getting ready to enter and confronts her. She doesn’t know who she is, and suggests that she returns at a later time to schedule a challenge. Akira, annoyed, attacks, and Ibuki admits she’s not that bad. Sakura spots the skirmish and immediately runs over to clear things up. Ibuki is surprisingly asks if Sakura knows “this guy”, only to see that it isn’t a guy at all.

Sakura planned on hanging with Akira to catch up after not seeing each other for awhile. However, after telling Karin about Akira, she decided to arrange the tea party for everyone to gather at. Akira tells Ibuki that she met Sakura back when she was on a mission to find her brother. One that required her to go undercover at an all-boys high school—utilizing her helmet to disguise herself.

Akira has a flashback to one of her moments training with Sakura. Akira wanted to become stronger. Sakura, in typical fashion, was excited about training and sparring with Akira to help her become stronger. This is how they went on to become good friends. Sakura grew excited thinking about the old days, which led to her challenging Akira to a fight. Akira, taken aback, thought they were just there to have a tea party. Not on Sakura’s watch. If Akira could fight Ibuki, then she should have no qualms fighting her.

Karin then interrupts to introduce herself. She recognized Akira as the sister of Daigo Kazama. Now that everyone was there, the Kanzuki tea party finally started. Karin made sure to bring desserts from Delfone Bakery after Sakura’s recommendation. Karin went a step further and actually purchased the store after doing research on them.

Before watching everyone dig in, Karin wanted to fight Akira. Akira is confused because she was under the impression that this was supposed to be a time for chatting, drinking tea, and eating desserts. Like Ibuki said, though, all of Karin’s usually end up like this.

As fun as chatting can be, Karin believes there’s no better way to learn about someone than to clash in battle. Karin always grows excited at the idea of fighting a strong opponent, so it’s only natural that she would want to fight someone who’s went up against Sakura in the past. Akira understands what she’s saying and accepts her challenge.

If Akira’s skills are impressive enough, Karin will not only allow her to eat as much desserts as she’d like, but Akira will also be invited to her private Kanzuki private beach. The girls are next shown having fun at the Kanzuki private beach. Hinata and Tiffany are also there. Sakura tells Akira that she’s a good swimmer and Akira replies that someone taught her a while ago. Ibuki thinks it could’ve been a boyfriend, but Akira denies it.

Sakura wants to know what Akira would like to do after spending time on the beach. Akira doesn’t understand what she means, but Karin quickly suggests that they have another match. She doesn’t intend on losing to the same opponent twice. Akira is not looking forward to fighting Karin again. Sakura then calls dibs on the next fight. Akira has no idea about the type of mess she’s gotten herself into with these fighting junkies.

Oh, and before I forget:

The Gief's to Oro: "You retire now, old man! Give room to young people!"

Loved Oro's story. Didn't expect nearly as many hints to the future as we got, but we have a lot now. 

Akira was fun and confirmed in-game that Rival Schools story is canon to the Street Fighter universe. Still not sure how to feel about it, though. Too many characters could now transition to future SF games at the price of actual Street Fighters... anyway...

Back to Oro, I think it's interesting that they go out of their way to mention that Bison really is dead... but that it doesn't mean we're done with him. However, it won't be trough a revival, but trough his legacy, his "will" 

That can only mean that Neo-Shadaloo are going to be the cause of the "apocalypse" mentioned troughout all the latest stories. Gill is going to be the "saviour".  The only mystery is G and what role he will play.

My theory is that it's going to be something like this:

G is recruiting people with his President shtick and turning them into Qs. We see from his stage there's an entire society and we know from 3rd Strike that "Q" was seen all over the world (because there's not just one!) 

What is Neo-Shadaloo's goal at the moment? From Ed's ending it's to release all the freaks, lab rats and innocents experimented on at the behest of evil men like Bison. This is going to bring him into collision with both G and Gill.

We know Gill is orchestrating some things behind the scenes, as the whole Black Moon incident was basically a way to speed up the prophecy that foretells his appearance, so it might be the Secret Society that tips Neo-Shadaloo on G, possibly after NS comes into contact with Urien, whose also the coordinator of SS' most terribile experiments.

However the encounter between G and NS goes, I think it will eventually involve Seth. I imagine it could be that G proves too powerful for Ed, who might already be in possession of Doll Unit Zero and so he'll try to empower it with Pyscho Power and use to defeat G, but with Seth's unstable mind, the Pyscho Power will consume him, either reviving Bison in its body, or simply cause it to be released upon the entire world, from up on G's satellite and cause mass destruction.

The world will become a mess, devided between mass volcanic eruptions on one side and a new ice age on the other, making Gill more powerful than ever imaginable. He'll "save" some of the fighters he deems worthy and others will survive the apocalypse by using their skills, but they are all going to be trapped under his tyrannical rule. 

Rose will gather all her powers and try to send her conciouness back to the past and try to eradicate Bison during the SF Zero events, but will be too weak willed. The only one able to survive this process will be Ryu, who'll emerge during the SF Alpha time (possibly when he was brainwashed by Bison) and, now capable of weilding the Power of Nothingness, he'll destroy Bison much like he did in SFV. 

During this time, the World Warriors will have to protect his body against Gills warriors, X-Men Days of Future Past style. Possibly an Alex vs Gill match here will take place, to mirror Ryu vs Bison.

Ryu will return successful to the present of the "fixed" world, waking up meditating under a waterfall, as if everything was a dream.

I don't think Luke is going to be involved storywise. I think when they said he represents Street Fighter' future, they meant that he'll have a unique mechanic to him, reminiscent to one that will appear in 6. Considering they introduced a whole air system to accomodate Akira, I think it's going to be a similar thing with Luke, only it's going to be something new.

58 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

I feel so stupid. Up until now, I had thought Oro’s 3rd Strike ending was him taking Ryu as his student. Must’ve read it somewhere since even the original ending also had it where the two of them are unaware that they were close to each other.

Yeah, but at least his win quotes with Sakura imply that Oro says he's Ryu's new master.

7 hours ago, Dracu said:

Rose will gather all her powers and try to send her conciouness back to the past and try to eradicate Bison during the SF Zero events, but will be too weak willed. The only one able to survive this process will be Ryu, who'll emerge during the SF Alpha time (possibly when he was brainwashed by Bison) and, now capable of weilding the Power of Nothingness, he'll destroy Bison much like he did in SFV. 

I was thinking that Capcom wouldn't do much effort like going back to Alpha timeline or setting back SF6 to where Alpha timeline happened.

What they do is just give an introduction backstory or just tell the story in one character's individual story.

Then SF6 would be set in SF3 timeline but the changes in the time travel is automatically applied.

Bison is alive but behind the scenes. SIN and Neo Shadaloo never existed. (typically a reason or an excuse to remove some plans, priorities and ideas like events and characters by Ono and others in the past to give way to the new guys in-charge preference in SF direction of stories)

Back to martial arts tournament stories again organized by Secret Society. Change of participants, less mysticism stories, less mutation characters and more ground stories again.

Edited by Shakunetsu

One of the things I love most about Oro is the fact that he's more than just a really powerful old guy.

You have the horndog version that's all about the ladies, then you have this one:

Oro to Akuma: “I have surpassed you, and it will take more than a hundred years for you to catch up.”

Oro to M. Bison: “Psycho Power, eh? Impressive, but the way you wield it leaves much to be desired.”

Oro to Gill: “I think you should focus on your wardrobe choices before trying to bring about paradise..”

Bison is a very powerful being. So is Akuma. So is Gill. All of these guys are in the upper-echelon when it comes to power.

Yet Oro is far above even that. And his win quotes do a great job in establishing the difference.

I also like this quote:

Oro to Alex: “You’re rough around the edges, but you have potential. See me in twenty years and I’ll train you.”

Just goes to show that Oro prefers that they walk their own path and find themselves before training them. 

Another quote that stood out:

Zeku to Oro: “A wise old soul departs this world, leaving no trace of his legacy...”

This is touched on in his SFV ending where he's shown wondering if he'll ever have a successor. It would really suck for Oro to develop this powerful art...only to leave the world without passing it on to anyone. 

Oro's win quote to Akuma reminded me of Beerus' quote to Vegeta:

Wg8zyS9.jpg?1

I remember a longggggggggg time ago when I thought Akuma=Oro (1 arm), and Shin Akuma=Oro (both arms)

Kinda funny looking back on it now. I was really underestimating Oro. His words to Akuma in 3rd Strike already showed he was thinking on a much higher level than Akuma. 

14 hours ago, N-Tactix said:

That would suck for them to build up Ed, Falke and all these other characters only for them to get Ash Crimson'd

Typical classic Capcom, Capcom its alway been like that most of the time in handling SF story.

Because of changing people that managing SF, 

SF4 and SF5 in the beginning having strong ties ia really because of Ono.

in the past SNK is stll ahead and better in handling conclusion and closure.

1 hour ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

One of the things I love most about Oro is the fact that he's more than just a really powerful old guy.

You have the horndog version that's all about the ladies, then you have this one:

Oro is pretty interesting, even the "horndog" aspect is toned down compared to so many masters. He flirts and thinks women are into him, but he's got restraint, we're not seeing him drooling over things like a stereotypical senin, and for that I'm thankful.  Also yeah, he's sassy, but he's not so arrogant, I loved his interactions with Dhalsim. He's a living legend, but he's not obnoxiously lording it over everyone, he can be blunt, but he can back it up.  Also, his quote to Bison, could he have met Bison's master and seen this force previously? It used to be Soul power, so maybe he sees all the negativity focus and losing something from it's typical "balanced" state? I dunno, just thinking.

Akuma being the strongest is similar to Chun-Li being the strongest. It's a self imposed title that's forever placed in pop culture. Even when they canonically lose or Capcom introduces character greater than them, the fans will still claim they're the strongest.

53 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Typical classic Capcom, Capcom its alway been like that most of the time in handling SF story.

Because of changing people that managing SF, 

SF4 and SF5 in the beginning having strong ties ia really because of Ono.

in the past SNK is stll ahead and better in handling conclusion and closure.

SNK was smart enough to keep the same writer from 95/96 up until XIII where they went into pachinko hell. 

3 hours ago, BootyWarrior said:

SNK was smart enough to keep the same writer from 95/96 up until XIII

I don't think that's true. Their anniversary website states they have their own encyclopedia full of plot lines and characters that they pick out. NESTS was the story they decided to be the main plot instead of the Hizoku, their bio for Ron mentions that even they have no idea what the plans for Ron and Lin were after the bankruptcy. SNK uses the encyclopedia to help them out eg Adelheid and Magaki were scrapped characters for 1999. 97-2000 were written by a man named Tomonori Kamio. 

If anything, 2003 messed up alot of stuff and XIII would have been a very different and better game plot wise had they not decided to go the route they did with the sprites.

Edited by N-Tactix
1 hour ago, N-Tactix said:

I don't think that's true. Their anniversary website states they have their own encyclopedia full of plot lines and characters that they pick out. NESTS was the story they decided to be the main plot instead of the Hizoku, their bio for Ron mentions that even they have no idea what the plans for Ron and Lin were after the bankruptcy. SNK uses the encyclopedia to help them out eg Adelheid and Magaki were scrapped characters for 1999. 97-2000 were written by a man named Tomonori Kamio. 

If anything, 2003 messed up alot of stuff and XIII would have been a very different and better game plot wise had they not decided to go the route they did with the sprites.

I thought it was Akihiko Ureshino. 

my favorite is the nest saga and next is the orochi saga

the way they handle saga are better and has good transition, instead of doing timeskips  (yes they did a timeskip with Samsho and fatal fury IP but not in the flagship title)

I like geese and rugal but it's among one of their mistake in story telling in fg and they learned that mistake not to be carried in later kof saga the orochi  and nest, so they went disposable and filler bosses for proper closure and conclusion.

for example ignitz, his not a character to be attached with same with the orochi.

and they just compromised with other important characters with dream matches, 

yeah ash saga along 2003 is where things started to went in complicated again, it's likely because of change of priorities and experimentation. it's the dwindling status of fgs era where mi, neowave and capcom went full hiatus.

Edited by Shakunetsu
42 minutes ago, BootyWarrior said:

I thought it was Akihiko Ureshino. 

He wrote the light novel adaptations that would be released after the games were released. He merely adapted them. The only reason fans treat them as canon is because they don't contradict the games, similar case to KOF: Kyo or how elements from the SF2 movie made it to Alpha. What he can be credited for is the whole "Whip is a clone of K''s dead sister" that he made up because SNK wouldn't tell him her backstory, it eventually got canonised in 2001. According to the link below he also claimed that SNK told him that Kula was Russian and that her parents are still alive (which doesn't make sense because Kula's name is derived from the Finnish word for hoarfrost: Kuura) 

https://w.atwiki.jp/gcmatome/?cmd=word&word=kof 2001&type=&pageid=2238#id_219d1341

35 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

for example ignitz, his not a character to be attached with same with the orochi.

Igniz wasn't even going to be the final boss. It was Father NESTS (the old man with the sword), it's why Igniz feels so random and suddenly turned the overall meaning the NESTS story had from "even though you created us as clones and mere tools, we have every right to live and be free" to "I'm literally God lol! Watch me drop a colony". 2001 ruined the NESTS story, which was looked like it was going to be far better than the Orochi saga. 

I feel like the Ash saga is a step down because there's no overall themes to the story. The Orochi saga was all about Kyo and Iori coming to terms with their destinies while also showing that the Orochi Clan were wrong about humanity being inherently evil. NESTS showed how evil humanity could be with people like Clone Zero and Ron representing personal ambition, greed and how they corrupted and affected people like Krizalid and Kula. 

TFTP are some of the most incompetent and unconvincing villains in fighting game history, nothing they do make sense, they have no overall meaning or a coherent end goal. It really feels like SNK saw the backlash NESTS had back in the day and decided to go back to the Orochi story in the most superficial way. While Orochi and NESTS gave the side characters their own little stories and arcs, the Ash saga either drops them entirely, reduces them to gags or set up subplots but drop them like what happened to AOF in 2003 or the entirety of XIII. 

Edited by N-Tactix
11 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

Oro is pretty interesting, even the "horndog" aspect is toned down compared to so many masters. He flirts and thinks women are into him, but he's got restraint, we're not seeing him drooling over things like a stereotypical senin, and for that I'm thankful.  Also yeah, he's sassy, but he's not so arrogant, I loved his interactions with Dhalsim. He's a living legend, but he's not obnoxiously lording it over everyone, he can be blunt, but he can back it up.  Also, his quote to Bison, could he have met Bison's master and seen this force previously? It used to be Soul power, so maybe he sees all the negativity focus and losing something from it's typical "balanced" state? I dunno, just thinking.

Yeah, he just enjoys women in a tasteful manner. Age appropriate women especially. 

Even with the Akuma quote, his words don't seem harsh. He's only telling him how vast the difference between them currently is. 

Kinda like his "You claim to be the Master of Fists. This disturbs me" quote to Akuma in 3rd Strike. Oro knows where he stands compared to the others, but he still tries to correct their way of thinking in hopes of making them better. 

As for Bison, that does seem like a possibility he's hinting at. Like he's seen that type of power wielded in a more impressive manner from another user. Or maybe Oro can sense that Psycho Power is a formidable source of power on its own right, but perhaps Bison's use of it doesn't do a great job in showing its real capabilities. I feel like you can't go wrong with either option.

17 hours ago, N-Tactix said:

Igniz wasn't even going to be the final boss. It was Father NESTS (the old man with the sword), it's why Igniz feels so random and suddenly turned the overall meaning the NESTS story had from "even though you created us as clones and mere tools, we have every right to live and be free" to "I'm literally God lol! Watch me drop a colony". 2001 ruined the NESTS story, which was looked like it was going to be far better than the Orochi saga.

yes, that is shown very much in the intro

I used Ignitz as how SNK that time know how to make one shot evil characters  appealing, even in just few presentation and lack of build up, and they don't even need to make that boss being attached with.

In that moment that Ignitz killed his superior you know this is someone dangerous. And it's the first time you see and know the character.

You don't need to think like his something relatable or something interesting, but something that needs to go down and end. You don't see people wishing Ignitz return as a boss and they fully understand igniz role in KOF. that's how a fighting game story boss would be. I mean in a story because it gave proper closure no hoping or thinking he might survive. Goenitz also is along that category.

Because Rugal and Geese are the best iconic bosses but they are not the good story boss for a fighting game, because people want them to return and revived their roles are meant to be destroyed but their appeal contradicts. 

Their appeal are more suitable for anti heroes and misunderstood villains like Pegasus in Yugioh because people wants them recurring, but its too late to change the narrative surrounding those bosses.

Zero was the meh boss character, that they need to reinvent him later because his previous version is un appealing compare to krizalid and Ignitz.  It's like they are rushing things because of ownership and priorities shifting. But overall Nest saga ended well with it being destroyed, other than K9999 being leftout lol. while the other is left in the mystery which isn't really integral to the Nest organization.

Edited by Shakunetsu
On 8/19/2021 at 8:16 AM, Shakunetsu said:

Zero was the meh boss character, that they need to reinvent him later because his previous version is un appealing compare to krizalid and Ignitz.  It's like they are rushing things because of ownership and priorities shifting.

I disagree on Clone Zero being ineffective. The original Zero feels almost deviantart OC tier in that he only existed because Clone Zero was deemed ugly by Asian standards and is basically "look everybody I'm better than the Zero last year,". In terms of the plot he probably was one of the few KOF bosses who actually did something on screen. He destroyed Southtown and was a wild card that caused issues for both the heroes and NESTS themselves. All the real Zero ever did was challenge you on a blimp with help from 3 people and died. Sure, he's just Han from HnK in a cybersuit but I think he did his role better than his successor did. Igniz is good enough but honestly, he was better off taking the place the Original Zero did in 2001's plot rather than being the true final boss, he even has the look of an honorable fighter.

SNK did know how to use their villains to effectively add layers to the story. Krizalid being as strong as he is then being revealed to be only the surface of NESTS' true power as well as the tragedy surrounding him helped set the tone strongly for the NESTS arc and part of why he's one of the best characters SNK has ever created.

On 8/19/2021 at 2:01 PM, Hawkingbird said:

I find it strange that Akira isn't selectable in the Alpha arcade path. Her character story canonized Sakura appearance in Rival Schools. I expected for Rival Schools and Project Justice to fall into the Alpha timeframe.

Sorry for the double post but if her SFV ending is any indication, RS still wouldn't have happened in the Alpha era at all. Akira would have been a pre teen.

13 hours ago, N-Tactix said:

I disagree on Clone Zero being ineffective. The original Zero feels almost deviantart OC tier in that he only existed because Clone Zero was deemed ugly by Asian standards and is basically "look everybody I'm better than the Zero last year,".

I agree that his not likable for the face, but in that era of 2k it's not because for an asian standard but compare to other FG boss that time his appeal is weak from move and presentation.

His more like a puppet that has only boring one form, he doesn't impose a threat when fighting against and his specials aren't majestic compare to the other nest boss. His introduction is also a meh compare to the other nest boss, the guy is more of follower that is just betrayed.  The 1st Zero looks like the od one out among the Nest bosses.

He doesn't feel someone needs to be serious with his more like a lackey that had suddenly given an important mission and felt relevant but in reality to be baited in the grand scheme of things. 

13 hours ago, N-Tactix said:

He destroyed Southtown and was a wild card that caused issues

That is more like a lackey type default role something to cause chaos and distraction, it doesn't really change or bring that intimidation in the feel of the game in terms of playing against him or he doesn't bring threat when playing against him. His just someone who gonna blow everything to pieces like other lackey bosses that are puppets.

Krizalid is presented something that go beyond and defy the forces that were establish from nature and history, when fighting him it reflects his moves and also his like the SUPER GENETIC MODIFIED than the other clones because of him able to manipulate a power that is known before a sacred and for those that are chosen bloodline, It like his a (pre tekken5) early days heihachi but succeeded into manipulating and integrating the devil gene to himself, He is also the more powerful version of the newly introduced protagonist that undergo the gene modification similar in a way like his and he also messed up the previous long time protagonist by replicating something very important and known to be sacred. He demystified the sacred treasure and it's history.

Edited by Shakunetsu
47 minutes ago, N-Tactix said:

Sorry for the double post but if her SFV ending is any indication, RS still wouldn't have happened in the Alpha era at all. Akira would have been a pre teen.

Sakura was a High School when she trained Akira when Daigo went missing. There's the dialog about how they met a long time ago. I seriously doubt it would have been an SF4 era Sakura who trained her. Honestly the age gap between Akira and Daigo isn't huge. She could have easily been a first year in the first game.

On 8/19/2021 at 9:01 AM, Hawkingbird said:

I find it strange that Akira isn't selectable in the Alpha arcade path. Her character story canonized Sakura appearance in Rival Schools. I expected for Rival Schools and Project Justice to fall into the Alpha timeframe.

Yeah I was disappointed by that. I thought her having an Alpha path would be a given. With the tremendous attention to detail they have with her, it's a bit of a shock.

13 hours ago, mykka said:

Reboot SF3

Surpass SF3 timeline

Go back in time

they will just likely tell the back in time in a bit of backstory but not the actual game setting

you know capcom

the reveal of luke is already given the setting of the future game, so no going back in time

and having a backstory of going back in time already means rewriting the future

so its likely a reboot in terms of the new management and team preference and direction, instead of fixing in consistency and compromising what was established in the early SF5 and SF4

Edited by Shakunetsu

Krizalid is a shitty boss. He looks like the lackiest of lackeys. Even though Clone Zero doesn't have that threatning, final boss, larger than life boss feel that previous characters like Rugal and Goenitz did and his role in the story, even though he is the most genocidal out of them all, does present him as just an underling is great build up for the final threat in the next game. He also has a moustache and that's always the sign of a good boss. Krizalid on the other hand is lame as fuck. He's not intimidating, his moveset is kinda boring... he's basically crazy K' and, much like how Orochi Iori and Leona are sub-bosses, Krizalid feels the same way. 

Original Zero is cool. I like the idea that he's more powerful than his clone,  but this time he's only the sub-boss. That's a great way to build up Igniz as a powerhouse. And I think Igniz is great. He's a cool design with the an amazing moveset. He's certainly a better design than his dad. Storywise I guess I can kinda see why the twist that he betrays his father can be quite jarring, after building up the finale for three games... but I like him a lot more than NESTS (the character) and so I have no problem with it. 

On 8/23/2021 at 8:06 AM, Dracu said:

Krizalid on the other hand is lame as fuck. He's not intimidating, his moveset is kinda boring... he's basically crazy K' and, much like how Orochi Iori and Leona are sub-bosses, Krizalid feels the same way. 

I agree with everything you said, except that part. I think the fact that he's only small fry does well for him. His moveset works well when you contrast him with K', the names of his attacks and the animations paint him as more desperate and unhinged than the confident and cool aura K' and Maxima emit. He was a victim of NESTS who was groomed and filled with ideas that he was better than everybody else and then thrown away when he no longer was useful to them. That he goes from quiet and proud to begging for his life.

I think the English localisation is to blame for some people misunderstanding Krizalid. In the Japanese version, his way of speaking is still haughty but somewhat sombre and he doesn't scream "Oh the treachery!!!" and seethe. He actually accepts the facts Whip tells him while it genuinely pained her to see him die and learn the truth. He's compassionate enough to have formed a bond with Whip (and his co-workers as his bios point out) It's also why it's worth pointing out that the Krizalid in 01 is just a clone with none of his memories. So assuming SNK does right by XV's story, we might see Krizalid gaining his own sense of individuality and break out from his past if he returns. 

Edited by N-Tactix
On 8/22/2021 at 1:10 PM, mykka said:

So basically in SF6 we have 3 options:

Reboot SF3

Surpass SF3 timeline

Go back in time

I'm honestly hoping we finally go beyond SF3 but I'm not holding my breath.

Hard to say since the story seems to be having some behind the scenes alterations on the fly, but I don't think we're getting a full reboot. I think we'll either just surpass the SF3 timeline or surpass the SF3 timeline, but have a parallel story that involves time travel. Kinda like how Days of Future Past involved time travel, but at the end of the story, the day was saved and there was no full on reboot.

10 hours ago, N-Tactix said:

I agree with everything you said, except that part. I think the fact that he's only small fry does well for him. His moveset works well when you contrast him with K', the names of his attacks and the animations paint him as more desperate and unhinged than the confident and cool aura K' and Maxima emit. He was a victim of NESTS who was groomed and filled with ideas that he was better than everybody else and then thrown away when he no longer was useful to them. That he goes from quiet and proud to begging for his life.

I think the English localisation is to blame for some people misunderstanding Krizalid. In the Japanese version, his way of speaking is still haughty but somewhat sombre and he doesn't scream "Oh the treachery!!!" and seethe. He actually accepts the facts Whip tells him while it genuinely pained her to see him die and learn the truth. He's compassionate enough to have formed a bond with Whip (and his co-workers as his bios point out) It's also why it's worth pointing out that the Krizalid in 01 is just a clone with none of his memories. So assuming SNK does right XV's story, we might see Krizalid gaining his own sense of individuality and break out from his past if he returns. 

You know, I agree with everything you said. He's a fine character, probably even a great one. Just not as a boss. If he were the sub-boss, I'd be all over him. His design, personality and story are great and he makes a great rival for K'. Again... just not as a final boss.

To clear up

What I meant about Krizalid and Ignitz as better than the first Zero, Is what they serve in fighting game like story, from build up of their organization to the completion of the whole saga of the Nest Arc.  How they affect the world of the staple characters along with the mythos without being another Rugal and Geese which raise attachment.

My point was about the filler boss being complimentary and their significance/value to contribute to the theme of the arc because  the central of the arc is about CLONES and genetic mutation.

In general, the topic was about filler bosses that are disposable, that their role was to be doomed and destroyed then never came back or be a staple or a recurring after the arc.

That's why it's not about focus on visual standpoint or standing out/unique, and also not being memorable or being iconic like Rugal and Geese, because those are separate category of boss characters that are meant to be the central of the conflict and not about their organization. They are conflict and the embodiment of the organization as a whole.

1 hour ago, ShockDingo said:

Off topic, but through my twitter travels I learned about Joyce Godenzi  and the movie She Shoots Straight (1990)  and dang, watching these clips, I would have loved 80s-90s Hong Kong cinema Street Fighter. A solo Chun Li movie closer to this rather than Legend of Chun Li would be my dream

Same, Chun li is the character that I would like to be a main protag in a series and hong kong is the best settings for her.

Kid Rose in Legend of Chunli was so meh

Edited by Shakunetsu

So I've been playing through the old games as well as SFV. 

I feel it's been awhile since we've talked about this.

As of August 28th, 2021, what's the consensus on the climax of the SF2 tournament?

Bison's explosion after fighting Ryu, Ken, Guile, Chun-Li, and Cammy?

Or

Akuma's infamous Shun Goku Satsu?

Curious to see what others think nowadays.

On 8/28/2021 at 5:35 PM, Doctrine_Dark said:

As of August 28th, 2021, what's the consensus on the climax of the SF2 tournament?

Bison's explosion after fighting Ryu, Ken, Guile, Chun-Li, and Cammy?

Or

Akuma's infamous Shun Goku Satsu?

Curious to see what others think nowadays.

SFV had Gouki SGS with Vega's body destroyed (specifically in this ending) on the SFII  path. The same goes for the USFII. Capcom's official April 1st joke also shows the SGS scene (even though that's not canon).

With the Beyond the World timeline specifically stating the Psycho Drive being destroyed in SFZ3... it pretty much invalidates Vega's suicidal explosion in the Psycho Drive base. Also, this was never mentioned anywhere else.

So... yeah, I go for the SGS scene. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom decides that both events happened...

Had they used THIS base for the suicide explosion (they used it on Abel's vanilla SFIV prologue),....

spacer.png

20 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

I hope someday that Ryu also didn't scar Sagat in a tournament and would be official acknowledge by Capcom in this area like in the manga and the anime

But that's the official story since SFZ1 and 2 retconned it.

Edited by Lord_Vega
4 hours ago, Lord_Vega said:

SFV had Gouki SGS with Vega's body destroyed (specifically in this ending) on the SFII  path. The same goes for the USFII. Capcom's official April 1st joke also shows the SGS scene (even though that's not canon).

I hope Capcom should later come up with a reason why Akuma wasn't something shadaloo and Bison viewed as something like a threat and obstacle or even potentially useful in Bison's pursuit to Ryu.

Why that happened Bison(SF2) without them anticipating or unexpected? or did they miscalculated and underestimated him, or he manage to hid is chi to everyone, so akuma is unknown to the like of shadaloo and secret society.

Same thing why SF4 Seth has very notable similarities with Gill and Urien and how did they acquire those data. 

Is Shadaloo aware of secret society existence?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What things are still left questionable this days?

Like who won SF2 tournament?

Edited by Shakunetsu