Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

7 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Tbh one of few things that make me kinda optimistic we MAY get a SF6 of the quality SF deserve, is that if they have half brain still working, they know they simply can't fuck up

Overall SF have tons of haters, and after SFV shit is even easier for them

If SF6 want to have smooth hype start after the perceived shitshow that SFV was, SF6 needs to be simply flawless

Hopefully it won't be as bad but if it is another shit show, im talking to whoever the mfs responsible cause they need to be sued for confusion and emotional damages 

7 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Tbh lot of later DLC art got more detail than vanilla cast

Just some examples

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

I think the reason why is because Bengus was probably rushed to finish the character story arts for all 16 base roster characters. If i remember, the release date for SF5 was pushed up to Feb from June. So Bengus had to be on a huge time crunch just to get all the story arts finished.

At least with the following seasons, he had more time and less characters to draw story art for, which explains why they look better than the starting roster.

4 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

I think the reason why is because Bengus was probably rushed to finish the character story arts for all 16 base roster characters. If i remember, the release date for SF5 was pushed up to Feb from June. So Bengus had to be on a huge time crunch just to get all the story arts finished.

At least with the following seasons, he had more time and less characters to draw story art for, which explains why they look better than the starting roster.

That's what i was implying, with  less hurry and less characters to cover he seems to have took definitely more time on later tables

But tbh i don't even think it's all there, one side for sure hurry played a role, but i also believe at first he tried to do a stylization work as deviation from his usual self... that got loud negative feedback and made him drop it for later SFV works

10 hours ago, sKreetFighteZ said:

Does anyone even like the art style for SF5 ? I wanna hear you guy's opinions?

In-game is better than SF5 style but it is still bad. Proportions suck, everyone is a chunky roid monster and a lot of costumes are overly busy. Lighting is also pretty garbage. Not an attractive style. Compare to something like the new SamSho that is visually gorgeous and coherent while having a similar character aesthetic to SF5 BUT with far far FAR better proportions.

The cut-scene style is embarrassing. Bengus was a highly influential artist to me and the quality of work now is flat-out bad. It's such a regression in effort

54 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

In-game is better than SF5 style but it is still bad. Proportions suck, everyone is a chunky roid monster and a lot of costumes are overly busy. Lighting is also pretty garbage. Not an attractive style. Compare to something like the new SamSho that is visually gorgeous and coherent while having a similar character aesthetic to SF5 BUT with far far FAR better proportions.

The cut-scene style is embarrassing. Bengus was a highly influential artist to me and the quality of work now is flat-out bad. It's such a regression in effort

I understand what your saying, some of the characters that were drawn are disproportionate and looked awful. Only a few stories were well drawn such as Cammy's and Kolin's. 

I miss Alpha 3 Bengus.  Some of my favorite concept art ever...
OBLYn19.jpg

12 hours ago, sKreetFighteZ said:

Does anyone even like the art style for SF5 ?

No.  It's just SF4's style again.  And I didn't like SF4's, but I gave it a pass cause it was SF's first real 3d graphics game.

16 hours ago, martinitolove said:

where can I get all these fantastic gif's?

All over the place.  Most of them from SF Alpha and SF3.  The 1, 4 and 5 sprites came from various deviantartists.  All the SF5 ones came from Reluu.

Edited by DarthEnderX
44 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

I miss Alpha 3 Bengus.  Some of my favorite concept art ever...
OBLYn19.jpg

No.  It's just SF4's style again.  And I didn't like SF4's, but I gave it a pass cause it was SF's first real 3d graphics game.

All over the place.  Most of them from SF Alpha and SF3.  The 1, 4 and 5 sprites came from various deviantartists.  All the SF5 ones came from Reluu.

i always loved this art style so much. SF4 artwork was okay to me, i wouldn't complain but it was dependent on certain characters because some wouldn't look right. 

Sorry to interrupt this talk about Street Fighter's art style but i  like to add Sally's bios from the AAC. Her SFZ2 and SFZ3 bios were already translated so i plugged in her SF2 series ans EX series bios. Feel free to correct and revise any mistakes. 

Sally Street Fighter 2/Champion Edition/Turbo/Super Street Fighter 2:

サリー【人物・♀】■ スト Ⅱ /スト Ⅱ ダッシュ /スト Ⅱターボ /スパ Ⅱ

ダルシム の 妻 。ダルシム と の あいだ に 息子 の ダッタ が いる 。夫 同様 に ヨガ の 修行 を 積ん で いる らしく 、食事 の 摂取 量 を 調節 できる と いう 特技 を 持つ 。ゲーム 中 で は 、まだ 名前 も 姿 も 明かさ れ て い ない 。

Sally【Character・♀】■ SF2/SF2CE/SF2T/SSF2

Dhalsim’s wife. She has a son, Datta, with Dhalsim. It appears that she practices yoga like her husband, and has the special ability to be able to regulate her food intake. Her name and appearance are not yet revealed in the game. 

Sally Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo:

■ スパ ⅡX

ダルシム の エンディング が 描 き 直さ れ た のに と も ない 、姿 が 登場 。一児 の 母 と は 思え ない ほ ど 若く て かわいい 。

■ SSF2T

She appears in Dhalsim’s ending although it has been redrawn. She looks young and cute that you can’t believe that she’s a mother of a child. 

Sally Street Fighter ZERO2 "Alpha 2":

■ スト ZERO2 / スト ZERO2 ALPHA

年齢: 17歳/身長: 156cm/体重: 40kg/3サイズ: B82・W57・H86

ダルシム に は もったいない くらい かわいい 奥 さん で 、この とき わずか 17歳 ( ! ) 。ダルシム の エンディング で は 、生まれ た ばかり の 息子・ダッタ を 抱い て 登場 し 、 夫 を 励ます 。この ほか 、ダルシム ステージ で は 夫 の 応援 に 駆けつけ 、夫 の 戦況 に 合わせ て 喜ん だり 悲しん だり と 豊か な 表情 を 見せる 。

■ SFZERO2/SFZERO2 Alpha 

Age: 17 years old/Height: 156cm/Weight: 40kg/Three sizes: B82・W57・H86

The cute girl who looks much too good for Dhalsim, who is only 17 in this game (!). She appears in Dhalsim’s ending hugging her newborn son: Datta, encouraging her husband. Furthermore, she rushes to support her husband in Dhalsim’s stage, with her facial expressions changing from sad to happy matching her husband’s outcome of the fight.

Sally Street Fighter ZERO3  "Alpha 3":

まだダッタを身ごもっ たばかり。 ダルシムステージ では、 身重の身体を押して夫を応援する。

Still pregnant with Datta. She appears on Dhalsim's stage, pushing her pregnant body to cheer for her husband.

Sally Street Fighter EX2:

姿 は 見せ ない が 、「 スト ZERO2 」同様 、 エンディング で 夫 を 励ます 。

She doesn’t appear, but similar to “SFZERO2”, she encourages her husband in his ending. 

As a side note, Sally is pretty cute 🥺, i wonder why she didn't appear in the first rendition of SF2 like Eliza, but i like her appearance. 

Alot of my favorite art came from 90s Bengus and his was my favorite Capcom artist too, he was the Top in 90s for me.

And until now I preferred his Alpha 3 and 90s Versus series art than most of the newer art not just by his new present art but along with the rest of the newer one from other artist.

Its not the nostalgia glasses, its just the style that I know which is better even the details were something I like.

I understand why he had gone this route, like many the new modern style but Im not a fan the current modern style. Shinkiro and Akiman had been my favorite if were talking about modern games and newer SF artwork nowadays.

Edited by Shakunetsu
3 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

If one of you would be so kind to share just SF5 sprites with me in one zip file, that would save me a lot of time and make me very greatfull...

Off topic: has someone ever bought Camcom exchange stocks? What was your experience with that? Did they rose when a new game went on sale, new downloadable characters were released?

Edited by martinitolove
19 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Can't go into great detail, I'm at work. 

In Game: I like the in game models for the most part. Outside of few fuck ups like Alex 😔 and Ken's face. It's good overall. 

Art Work: It's a fail. The opposite of in game models. There are a few gems like Kolin' s story mode art but most of it is subpar with really bad anatomy. I'm not one those people that are anal about anatomy but Laura's back when she's putting Sean in a headlock fucking atrocious.

This is essentially my opinion as well.

In Game: Overall, it's gorgeous. I love most of the redesigns. There are about half a dozen outliers, and some stages suffer from bad lighting and poor detail, but it's  a step forward from its predecessor in almost every way. It's also a step closer to SF2 Animated Movie - The Gold Standard we should be striving for in an SF Game.

Art Work: Mostly subpar or cheap. The Arcade Endings are cool though.

8 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

And until now I preferred his Alpha 3 and 90s Versus series art than most of the newer art not just by his new present art but along with the rest of the newer one from other artist.

I don't particularly like his Alpha 3 art, I felt that was when his work on the Marvel games seeped into his ordinary art and the colouring became more washed out. 1996-early 98 with SFEX1-2, XMVSF/MVSF, Vampire Saviour and Plasma Sword were the best out of his works.

I still prefer Kinu Nishimura and Akiman to him personally (Daigo's pre 3rd strike stuff was good too) and for non-fighting game artists I really like Hideki Ishikawa and Haruki Suetsugu

22 hours ago, sKreetFighteZ said:

If we are speaking ingame, I like the overall style and I think the game looks gorgeous at times. However, it has an incredible amount of dumb flaws that bring it down.

Character models are outsourced and that's ok, but while some of them look fantastic other are really bad.

Some characters have serious issues with clipping and physics based elements, even in the character select and victory screens.

Character textures are aliased in places for god knows what reason, certainly not technical limitations.

Stage textures are often smudgy in a bad way, something that makes no sense in a closed-world game where stages are literally backgrounds and should look perfect.

Many stage elements don't cast shadows.

A number of stage characters move at 30 fps.

All of these are things that should have never been accepted regardless of the visual style the game went for. The art director should have said “No, this has to be redone or fixed somehow”. Other than that, yeah, I like it. I like it more than either realistic or anime styles, and I especially wouldn't trade the fully animated 60fps for a 10fps anime style.

Now, one thing I do dislike about the visual style and as personal opinion, there's no reason for characters to have giant hands and feet in a game that's high definition and 60fps. It looks bad and I'm not buying the readability thing.

Edited by mikros

Capcom def paid more attention to the waifus of the game, which explains why they tend to look better than the male characters.

Personally, SFV is my favorite when it comes to the characters visually. Not just with how they look, but the animations and follow-throughs of some of the moves (most notably Season 3 onward).

I feel that almost every SFV female character looks like the best they've ever looked before. I think this is the best version of Chun-Li from a visual standpoint. And some of my favorite male characters that I think look really good in SFV are M. Bison, G, Zeku, Urien, and Vega. I know there are some misses like Ken's face, Abigail's bulldog face and head-to-body proportions, and Kage looking like the Spirit Halloween Store version of Evil Ryu. But I do feel there are more hits than misses when it comes to the visual aspect of Street Fighter 5.

I started in my previous comment that Bengus's story artwork does feel rushed, which explains the terrible art character stories for the first 16 characters. And as Daemos said, the ending arcade artworks look great too. 

1 hour ago, mikros said:

Now, one thing I do dislike about the visual style and as personal opinion, there's no reason for characters to have giant hands and feet in a game that's high definition and 60fps. It looks bad and I'm not buying the readability thing.

The devs stated that the SF characters have abnormally bigger hands and feet to serve as visual markers for where their normals are spaced. Much easier to see the footsie range of a big fist or foot rather than a normal sized proportionate one.

I agree there's some hits and misses with SFV in game, but like @Chun-Li_Foreversaid, the animations, especially in the later seasons are top notch. I'm one of the few that love Abigail, but him & G are among some of the best animated. All the little actions inbetween moves show off so much personality and charm. I hope that continues in SF6. Another thing I like is that more characters have extras to their standing animations, heck even Ryu after some time shifts from his fighting stance and starts to do some poses. In SF6, I do hope they bring back special intros and things that really push forward that visual flair.

Props for mention SFV animations, forgot do it in my feedback

SFV animations have overall been awesome, they added SO FUCKING MUCH personality to SFV cast

There would be so much to say, so many little touch of class

Most easy example that come to mind is just to watch Ryu and Ken fight style in SFV... Ryu strikes have strong japanese Karate (various styles) vibes, while Ken have waaay more western style that remind more 80s "american kickboxing".

Ryu feel solid af and hold his ground, everything he does start and stop, seems to often use strong positions with feet well planted on the ground, everytime he strike give "ouch" vibes, dude just seem made of stone

Ken he's ever light on his feet, never stop bouncing and moving, seem constantly try keep forward momentum, his punches looks fluid and dynamic, his kicks have him spinning(and recoil) in a way that feel the start of something instead the end of it, seems ever ready for next move

Even just to think how similar they was back to SF4 is awesome lol

Of course it's a while we started to see these different traits in them, is not something "invented" by SFV animations... but SFV brought it to the next level

Edited by CESTUS III
6 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Capcom def paid more attention to the waifus of the game, which explains why they tend to look better than the male characters.

Personally, SFV is my favorite when it comes to the characters visually. Not just with how they look, but the animations and follow-throughs of some of the moves (most notably Season 3 onward).

I feel that almost every SFV female character looks like the best they've ever looked before. I think this is the best version of Chun-Li from a visual standpoint. And some of my favorite male characters that I think look really good in SFV are M. Bison, G, Zeku, Urien, and Vega. I know there are some misses like Ken's face, Abigail's bulldog face and head-to-body proportions, and Kage looking like the Spirit Halloween Store version of Evil Ryu. But I do feel there are more hits than misses when it comes to the visual aspect of Street Fighter 5.

I started in my previous comment that Bengus's story artwork does feel rushed, which explains the terrible art character stories for the first 16 characters. And as Daemos said, the ending arcade artworks look great too. 

The devs stated that the SF characters have abnormally bigger hands and feet to serve as visual markers for where their normals are spaced. Much easier to see the footsie range of a big fist or foot rather than a normal sized proportionate one.

In my personal opinion, Chun-Li received the most love visual wise in the game

On 1/17/2022 at 4:54 PM, sKreetFighteZ said:

It's good, but following 4 I felt like it was a bit...redundant I guess? I'm not one of those insane people that think 4 and 5 look the same (because jesus christ SF4 was ugly even back in 2009 when I first played it and had a super basic understanding of SF), but they definitely share a similar art-style. I've always kind of thought 5 was what 4 should have looked like, in that it's Capcom perfecting that style and making it not look like shit.

Model quality wise, I thought it was spotty with some characters looking amazing and others looking horrendous, but this is no doubt down to the many different studios Capcom were outsourcing SF5 to during development. For every Chun Li you had an Alex. It was just a shame and I hope that for 6 they don't outsource anything (or at least don't outsource to so many studios. I swear hearing back in the day that Season 1's characters were made by like three or four different studios which is just crazy). If they have to outsource though, just make sure the studio that made Alex's model never comes close to one of their projects again. 

In-game artwork wise, yeah everyone else is pretty much spot on and that Bengus was all over the place and incredibly inconsistent. It's a shame too because I always liked his artwork for older SF games (never one of my favourites though) and I actually forgot how good the artwork in Kolin's character story was, but god damn is the art fucking bad in this game. To the point that the good artwork is either completely drowned out or not even remembered because of how much bad stuff there is. I think this is a case for the promotional art too which IMO is a huge step down from pretty much every other game. It's clear Bengus' style is just totally different to what it used to be and while that's fine and does happen, I just really dislike it and hope that he's as far away from 6 as possible. I really hope they get Nishimura or Ikeno back but I'll take anyone as long as it's not Bengus again. 

As for my hopes for how 6 looks, I just want it to be different. I obviously don't want hyper realism or even Tekken style 'realism', but I just want the game to stand out on its own from the rest of the series. While 4 and 5 are clearly different graphically, as I said earlier they kinda follow similar styles and I think in the long run that hurts how the game is remembered in terms of its individuality. It's the same reason why I wouldn't want 6 to ape 3's or Alpha's style despite loving those games. Just give me a game that feels different, something that in 10-15 years from now I can go 'yeah that was undisputedly what SF6 was like'. Idk, probably rambling but after like 10+ years of similar art styles I think the series desperately needs a vibrant kick up the ass to make it stand out again. Hopefully with Ono gone we can get that. 

On 1/18/2022 at 4:27 PM, mikros said:

KInda long/boring, so i put it on spoiler

Spoiler

Tbh the infamous "readability" position was an error i wish they never did, they gave excuse to something that does'nt need one

It surely started as a pixel era thing, but with time it became integral part of SF art identity even where there was'nt said pixel shit need, it became what a SF char look like

And result is that people who don't like SF's stylization can be like "don't worry will read it well enough, now do as i like thank you" wich should not be the point

Big hands and feet (wich don't need to be giant, but bigger than real life proportions) are complementary to hyper developed capcom style musculature/bone structure and part of an anime stylization of human anatomy that SF developed for decades, to the point more than 20 years ago they already had an actual guide about principles of "SF anatomy" (it literally exist)

Now i find SFV pleasant proportions wise? No, i find it crap in many ways

Some mentioned in this thread, some not even mentioned.

But i personally find fun how people usually complain about "SF anatomy" as the problem of SFV ugly models when most of the ugliest ingame 3D models are guilty of a deviation of route from what they should have looked like

SFV concept Ken was much leaner than the roided monkey he's end up being (irony it's even first SF ever where Ken is listed as lighter than Ryu)

SF3 Alex have far leaner design and youthful look, and SFV one should have been same or even leaner/younger looking, while one we got looks older and clumsy piece of meat

Abigail in the sketches was yes extreme, but an extreme compatible with Hugo kind of stylization, not the retard bullshit we got ingame

To play modellers devil's advocate (something i hate, but have to be objective) i must admit a Capcom fault is there was'nt an universal identical style for concept sketches, with different people doing it and a general confusion that probably further gave the idea concept sketch is just a general guide and now-do-your-thing

Reality is SFV art direction has been a fucking chaotic mess

One can like or not Ikeno's idea for SF4 look (i'm not greatest fan of it, despite i like Ikeno) and shitty 3d models, but art direction there's a ridicolous difference in terms of how all fucking characters of the game sticked to Ikeno's right or wrong vision. Wich is how it should be

Ideally SF6 will need great capcom artist as only reference for what final ingame look is supposed to be for all characters, followed by a stricht art direction that have zero "well, that's good enough i guess" mindset, accepting nothing is'nt 100% ready, compatible, refined and approved

Essentially SF6 should have not "hit and miss" vibe, we got years of this

Wish they take their time till is everything perfect and don't fuck up again, specially because ugly or not Capcom's don't seem even much interested in drastic change shit when has been already done, paid and released

Everybody say to like the new guys in charge, hope they do of SF6 a question of personal prestige/honor

Cliffs: ugly parts of SFV are often used as "example" of SFstyle ugliness as a whole, while in reality most of SFV ugliest parts tend to ignore/betray SF art style lol

Edited by CESTUS III
5 hours ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

@Lord_Vega@Chun-Li_Forever
Capcom Artwork Team's official account is sharing details and sketches about Chun Li's preliminary idea back in 1988, when she still was named Zhìlì, used MANTIS-Style kung fu and was to be GEN'S DAUGHTER, because Bison would've murdered Gen and Dorai still didn't exist. Many of her movements were blatantly reused by Capcom later for Gen in the Alpha series.

It would had been better that they went that route of relationship of Chuns and Gen than Dorai.

1 hour ago, BootyWarrior said:

Proto Chun-Li looks like Ton Pooh.

Even more if you watch her here

spacer.png

To keep milking Strider for references, enemies flying battleship was called BALROG

https://strider.fandom.com/wiki/Flying_Battleship_Balrog

Of course name first appeared in Tolkien's LotR, but i think was first time it was used by Capcom

Edited by CESTUS III
1 hour ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

I think Ton Pooh was the early inspiration for Chun-Li back in her early design stages

2 hours ago, BootyWarrior said:

Proto Chun-Li looks like Ton Pooh

It's a common recurring character designs and boss themes in CAPCOM internal in 90s and 80s having 3 Chinese assassin girls, The wiki forget and didn't mentioned the parallels between the group of 3 Chinese girl assassin bosses in two different games

By the looks of it Chun's designer Akiman may had took some inspiration from "Isuke" Kouichi Yotsui  Designs in Strider's Pooh Sisters for Chun-li

In-fact the others in Capcom and Akiman probably took more direct inspiration from it again when doing character enemies for Warriors of Fate, 

Which Akiman did also work in that game and where it had another set of its own version of  3 Chinese Assassin Girls.

The Mei Assassin in Warriors of Fate美 - mĕi (beauty in Chinese) Chinese mean beautiful, pretty. 

So it's more like The Beautiful Assassins, The difference Mei Assassin to the Pooh sisters is that they are not sisters. Since Mei isn't represented as their last name.

And also don't forget that Warriors of Fate did borrow a lot of references from Strider and obviously Street fighter. 

From Strider's Pooh Sisters

uPdrZ8u.png

To Warriors of Fate's Mei Assassins' 

zMfAekm.png

Found an interesting thing. More than likely entirely coincidental but maybe not considering the amount of cross pollination between manhua and fighting games...

So I found a manhua called "Wave Fighter Z" which is fairly obviously a Street Fighter manhua that seems to have lost the license so the art was repurposed into an original series (more common than you might think in a lot of mediums)...

Anyway...so I got to the part where they introduce Not-Guile

His name? Well take a look

spacer.png

Military guy that's a replacement Guile named "Luke"

Amazing

As a side note, I'm (obviously) a manhua collector. I have almost the entirety of the King of Fighters series and have been looking for Street Fighter manhua and the remaining KOF stuff I'm missing...so if anyone knows of any or has any connections, hit me up. I'm ESPECIALLY looking for King of fighters RX (Remix) End of Nests

If I find anything else in Wave Fighter Z (or if anyone has any particular interest in more stuff from it) I'll post it up

6 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

So I found a manhua called "Wave Fighter Z" which is fairly obviously a Street Fighter manhua that seems to have lost the license so the art was repurposed into an original series (more common than you might think in a lot of mediums)...

From what I have known there was a actual SF License Manhua that used SF2 actual art and it was just range in a very few issues kinda like a mini series.

and it was separate continuity from those that are popular talked SF Manhua online(the unlicensed also) that was from SF2 to SF3, which was frequently mentioned in the warriors of fate thread. 

The popular unlicensed version has the story template and characters was inspired from another popular known long running manhua but it uses SF characters instead, this is the one that reach SF3 storyline.

This was the one I posted before with Sean beheading Urien, Ken son/Mel being mentored by Akuma, the Chun being pregnant and harrased by Dhalsim.

This is also the one also the others frequently reference about Bison's father and him killing his father in the past story threads.

GWKBG3p.png

As for the Wave Fighter Z, I have seen a obscure gaming blog in very early 2ks that mentioned a minor synopsis of this manwa with those characters. I can't remember exactly like it more like two decades ago.

From what I have known It was never meant to be a story base on SF in the beginning other than just using character names of few SF characters but Capcom still after them despite not being another SF story and has no connection to SF history and the setting here also was more of cyberpunk. This was during the era of Future Cops popularity in HK, before SF alpha was released.

So Wave Fighter Z was running simultaneously during the run of the other SF unlicensed manhua from what i remembered. While the licensed is from a different one and the licensed version was long gone and had no direct reference from the two unlicensed SF inspired series. I have seen few issue of Wave Fighter Z in Chinese communities and flea markets here, I have seen movie based for that series online.

While the Brazilian SF Comic had a different scenario like the 1st few issues were connected to Malibu comics? then continued with their own like the Megaman comic. Correct me if I'm wrong if there are Brazilian SF fan here.

As a side note, I'm (obviously) a manhua collector. I have almost the entirety of the King of Fighters series and have been looking for Street Fighter manhua and the remaining KOF stuff I'm missing..

I also collect non licensed merch too, but I only manage to keep one manwa where Ryu is fighting for the first time his evil clone. Yet I still had some SF Manwa merch like 2version of Chun Bracelet from the Manwa, A Ryu Figurine and Coffee mats. 

Found an interesting thing. More than likely entirely coincidental but maybe not considering the amount of cross pollination between manhua and fighting games...

I don't talk much about the Philippines about this in previous thread but since Parody SF and cross pollination between comics and fighting games had been brought in the topic

and didn't had been discussed much and talked or mentioned in previous threads unlike the Manwa and Brazilian Comics counterparts. 

It's popular and known that Brazil had their own version of main SF title of comic series while HK and Korea had many parody live action fighting game reference and movie. Phillippines is more like HK comics in terms of SF parody but crazier in terms of crossover and brutal. 

qZKL2mw.png

In the Philippines they had their own version also to named Kick Fighters(SF), Its a has all parody version of character from Xmen, Dragon ball, Dark Stalkers and MK doing crossover with its main universe. I always want to talk about this one.

It's mainly focus on Street Fighter Parody but it had 2 version of Ryu and 3 versions of Guile that are different characters not clones, and the protagonist is cybernetic enhanced CLAW.

n7BQL2a.png

I still have 2 copies of this issue lol

GPhkZk4.png

sB5cMFM.png

Ironically it lack KOF and SNK characters because this series were early 90s and KOF wasn't that big here until KOF97, I still have some few issues regarding the backstory and origin of the main shoto inspired character

SF and MK are popular reference video game isekai parody movies or shows in Phillippines in early 90s, Yes there are  video game isekai parody movies in 90s in the Philippines haha

SF was so popular that it had it's tons unlicensed toys and merch here. I still kept a lot of it here a part of my main Ryu collections. I can talked much of the influenced in the culture.

Tekken was only popular reference in Philippine Music Videos in the late 90s and early 2ks. 

Here is MBison a main villain in this movie, He is trying to plot to escape Video Game World and lead a war against gamers that constantly beats him. 

RJrRN5D.png

Cinema here is like HK and Korea but has their own twist.

Here is Ryu Parrying a Yellow Ranger attack in a Power Ranger Parody Movie haha

The villains in that kids movie brought them to life/summon using POG Slammers were they are printed in

sSSe5Qz.png

His name? Well take a look

spacer.png

Military guy that's a replacement Guile named "Luke"

Speaking of Luke and Guile

In Kick Fighters the ZANGIEF parody was named "HUGO" instead, This was before SF3 hit the arcades haha

5feRvD5.png

RAgFIIs.png

yIeW0wF.png

And Kick Fighter's Sagat parody is hybrid Kano and SAGAT having a lazer eye before the live action version had that as a secret move in that game. lol 

k0EtDvg.png

This was 1995 before ALPHA 3 and Bison Clones and the first SF crossover with Marvel Xmen Vs SF

Kick Fighters had their Bison/Dictator parody named Voltar teaming up with DR Doom(DOK BOOM) parody to find a Genetic Formula to launch an Army of Clones based from himself (Voltar)  while teaming up with a Doom Parody.

Bison Clones before the clone saga that started in later SF Alpha titles

ZOtO81h.png

If I find anything else in Wave Fighter Z (or if anyone has any particular interest in more stuff from it) I'll post it up

if I find the movie base on the manwa I'll post that up, I have seen it online like a decade. I'll look at my bookmarks

Edited by Shakunetsu
8 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

GWKBG3p.png

Oh man I love ALL that stuff you posted. Love seeing stuff like that Also this particular image IS Wave Fighter Z. Like a lot of manhua it has really solid art and is really kinetic. Just very good stuff.

I wish getting manhua was easier. The last time I was able to get a lot was in 2013 in Hong Kong when I took a trip and spent a few hundred dollars to get complete sets of KOF 2000, 2001 and 2002 manhua. I was also able to get in touch with a guy from Singapore on a forum and buy an entire set of KOF 0x from him (my holy grail for manhua) and then I found ANOTHER 1st issue of KOF 0x randomly on ebay as part of a Christian charity drive. Bizarre, right??

I might start hitting up some forums for KOF Remix End of NESTs because it is proving to be impossible to find.

Honestly, as gonzo as a lot of the Street Fighter and KOF manhua is, I find the KOF manhua better than anything they've ever produced for a story and the SF/KOF stuff in general feels far more passionate and imaginative than what we get even if some of it is stupid. Andy Seto, however, seemed to ALWAYS do a good job with KOF and it never got as silly as the SF stuff that was contemporary. It's clear Andy is a HUGE KOF fan and loves the lore.

10 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

Honestly, as gonzo as a lot of the Street Fighter and KOF manhua is, I find the KOF manhua better than anything they've ever produced for a story and the SF/KOF stuff in general feels far more passionate and imaginative than what we get even if some of it is stupid. Andy Seto, however, seemed to ALWAYS do a good job with KOF and it never got as silly as the SF stuff that was contemporary. It's clear Andy is a HUGE KOF fan and loves the lore.

Thanks man, I have been following the guy he seems active posting art in FB. I'm not familiar much with the KOF Manhua and just managed to see the few.

Probably SF manhua went so bizarre because the characters were inspired by another popular Manhua and the story were templated from it. So it went tragic and had soap opera complicated story, that they continued on ward the other SF series. While they had more creative freedom for the KOF manhua story so it went great. 

I'm not sure from what I have known seto that didn't handled most of the SF2 part.

by the way I found the ova video

the making

47 minutes ago, martinitolove said:

https://images.app.goo.gl/Au8XHGiNbB2scXxRA

Hey, guys! Who is the artist of this art piece? What is its history?

hey man that image is the one also I'm searching online,

even the link you posted and image source came to my post years ago(2015)

https://forums.shoryuken.com/t/the-inevitable-street-fighter-v-story-thread-arcade-edition/177027/31447

It was a license art, from what I have found out from other sites it wasn't done by capcom artist.

I have also two huge 90s SF puzzle in frames that was also license SF and drawn by their internal artist not from capcom.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:11 AM, YagamiFire said:

I find the KOF manhua better than anything they've ever produced for a story and the SF/KOF stuff in general feels far more passionate and imaginative than what we get even if some of it is stupid. Andy Seto, however, seemed to ALWAYS do a good job with KOF and it never got as silly as the SF stuff that was contemporary. It's clear Andy is a HUGE KOF fan and loves the lore.

I second this. When you get past the really strange, artstyle and fanfic tier plot elements, the manhua actually has some really nice elements. The scans are easily available in Cantonese by typing up the terms of KOF and Manhua in that language, not sure if the rest of RX is available since the 00 arc is the only one there. I love the artstyle of that one. 

I remember there was a website that had most of them fan translated into Arabic (likely lost to the sands of time) and the conclusion of 2000, in which everybody sets aside their differences to confront Clone Zero and reactions of Team Fatal Fury and AOF to Southtown's destruction (something that in-game, they don't care for) is probably the stand out element. 

It's clear that Seto was in contact with SNK staff since Shion, Magami and Shroom appeared in the manhua months before XI released. Zillion is also a very interesting alternate take on NESTS with the organisation creating a data form of Chris' brain to create Orochi clones and two of the antagonists early being based off rejected Maxima designs. 

Edited by N-Tactix
2 hours ago, N-Tactix said:

It's clear that Seto was in contact with SNK staff since Shion, Magami and Shroom appeared in the manhua months before XI released. Zillion is also a very interesting alternate take on NESTS with the organisation creating a data form of Chris' brain to create Orochi clones and two of the antagonists early being based off rejected Maxima designs. 

Edited 2 hours ago by N-Tactix

How i wished we had that too here, i grew up in the 90s but I was late with the KOF craze and more of a NEST era fan but I started in 97. That time there was also a website dedicated to KOF flash games. it was amazing to see tons of fan projects games and animation shorts. i had mine back in those days but made from Visual Basic but more like a SF vs KOF in a beat em up settings.  there are also tons of fanmade amazing kof port for the early non-smart phone games.

I was always aware of SNK because of CVS2 and of how prevalent their games are when using the arabic side of the Internet but 99 was what really got me into it. I remember being blown away when getting the secret Kyo fight on top of the stellar presentation and  tense atmosphere. 

I live in Britain, so nobody knows what KOF is but I hear London had a dedicated Garou scene. I'd say in terms of PAL regions: France, Italy and especially North Africa are where KOF/Metal Slug is most well known. There were alot of 1997-2002 cabinets when I last visited Libya. 

Edited by N-Tactix
On 1/23/2022 at 1:51 AM, Shakunetsu said:

hey man that image is the one also I'm searching online,

even the link you posted and image source came to my post years ago(2015)

https://forums.shoryuken.com/t/the-inevitable-street-fighter-v-story-thread-arcade-edition/177027/31447

It was a license art, from what I have found out from other sites it wasn't done by capcom artist.

I have also two huge 90s SF puzzle in frames that was also license SF and drawn by their internal artist not from capcom.

Thanks for the explanation. The art is better than Bengus 😉

Kinda OT as it's other media (so not canon) but end up talking about SF real life inspirations in a martial arts forum and just noticed that in both anime/manga Sagat get shot or risk to get shot as that's what happened to Reiba in Karate Baka Ichidai (wich was the inspiration for Sagat design)

Reiba

spacer.png

Sagat in Ryu Final and SF2V anime

spacer.png

Probably we already covered that in one of the 999999 pages of old forum, but still love this kind of shit lol

Edited by CESTUS III

@Miðgarðsormi restarted the little thing on costume/color references that i was doing back to SRK days

I remember you told me Takanohana was big inspiration for Honda (and the reason of his story alt, i'm even using a pic you gave me back then) and digging in that direction i may have -accidentally lol- found possible hint for Honda SFV standard design

This guy is Takagenji Satoshi and was part of Takanohana's stable (and active around SFV period), you think his mawashi was inspiration for Honda's one?

spacer.png001.png?h=35f3ece0140c9636e6f50bac1ed2fb73

Another possible one(even if lose the link with Takanohana) may be Okinoumi?

okinoumi keshō-mawashi

Spoiler

Edited by CESTUS III
55 minutes ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

@ShockDingoQuasimodox is a phenomenal artist! I commissioned him to do one of my comic covers a little while ago, and I'm very pleased with the final result. He's really good, and deserves to have his work recognized!

The G vs Q pic looks 🔥

Absolutely agreed! He's amazing and a really nice guy! Oh nice, glad you got a chance to work with him! I agree, he deserves to have his work recognized!