Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

If you remove the character, and just look at the costume you’ll see a stark contrast in her design. I argue that color is one of the most important things you can assign any fighting game character. The ones that had solid colors, and a complimentary second color withstood the test of time.

-BigMex on Cammy

There’s not much I want to say about Ken’s new look. It’s sad, and uninspired. I’ve talked about the importance of color on this blog.

-BigMex on Ken

Amazingly me and Bigmex has the same thoughts and priorities. 

Color palette which is something that I'm really prioritizing with the iconic characters that are pop-culture related ever since. I even argue about that stand countless times.

Edited by Shakunetsu
On 6/26/2022 at 7:15 AM, Chun-Li_Forever said:

https://sanctumsanctorumcomics.com/products/51979

STREET FGHTERS MASTERS CHUN LI #1 CVR A GENZOMAN
(W) Kinnaird, Ryan (A) Kinnaird, Ryan (C) Genzoman,
UDON ENTERTAINMENT INC
StockID: 51979 SKU: JUL222133

The strongest woman in the world- Chun-Li- stars in her own one-shot adventure! Interpol Officer Chun-Li travels to her birthplace of China- determined to put an end to a new Shadaloo scheme

Unfair Chun li already got SF Legends Chun li and now she got a Masters too

Haha

Ryu now needs both. 

Edited by Shakunetsu
7 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Further evidence that Juni and Juli are CONFIRMED for SFVI.

DollBros stay winning. 12 character slots reserved for Dolls, here we go!

Remember the deal, Maggio confirmed too

Joseph JOESTAR | Anime-Planet

Marisa, it's all your fault

5 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Including Poison (and the backstory) and current day Seth.

Strange they gone for Seth over Eagle or Juri

On 6/13/2022 at 5:35 PM, CESTUS III said:

I'm not super familiar with the yakuza theme, but Vega is not a yakuza, nothing we know of him ever hinted any of that

It's true that in japanese society tattos are often associated with yakuza, but as foreigner Vega would unliked be seen as one, specially considering himself would not try to pass as one or frequent them respecting their habits

Jap people in real life would still not like see him have a tattoo as it have negative connotations, though SF world seems bit free of that as you have also some good guys having tattoos (Guile and Luke first that come to mind), still not much common compared to real life fighters world though

The snake tattoo magically becoming alive i think may be a tribute to a female assassin (Benisato) from Ninja Scroll

Do you think women with excessive tattoos are sexy? | Page 12 | Sherdog  Forums | UFC, MMA & Boxing DiscussionI'm looking for someone, and you look exactly like...

But i guess it's not canon feat, since we never seen do it (or anything else remotely similar) in any actual SF game

Btw fun fact that surprised me A LOT actually@Miðgarðsorm(iirc, not 100% sure) once posted info about the fact canon wise in the past Geki fucked up Vega pretty badly in a fight

I ever thought if they ever fought Vega would have gone through Geki by knowing ninjutsu too, being a fucking ShadalooKing, pure talent, athleticism/size, matador skills and being a total psycho... yet as far we know their only interaction i'm aware of end up with Vega getting beated up

Now, may have been a young Vega that during his stay in Japan (i guess that was the place where they fought) still did'nt completed his training/reached his prime or just lacked experience against high level opponents... but canon wise all we know is they fought and Vega lost

What is the source of this cannon?

My impression is that Vega would not make his beautiful body ugly with a huge tattoo - but an elegant snake is very well in character.

But you may be right after all - there is nowhere a mention of him beeing a yakuza. Let's just agree that he is our favourite jakuzza 😉

spacer.png

Edited by martinitolove
On 6/19/2022 at 12:47 AM, Phantom_Miria said:

I will not tolerate this slander of the greatest Street Fighter character of all time, the phenomenal sensation that swept an entire continent, the one and only.

I'm obviously talking about Remy here.

Remy, the true OG. The same Remy who... Let me check the wiki one moment.

Okay, alright he... "Preserved the corpse of his sister in a block of ice underwater in the Bay of Biscay"?

I mean, sure, it's kinda like Bedman from Guilty Gear but without the bed and with his sister actually dead, but who are we to judge when one of our OGs is a Brazilian kid who fell in the Amazons and turned green and electric.

Surely, there's something more uplifting in here somewhere.

Let's see...

He hates fighting and people who fight, but fights anyways because he's basically an edgelord who resents his father abandoning him...

It's speculated that his looks and attitude have been influenced by "Gen X" and "MTV generation" stuff from the '90s...

He only has one interaction with Alex out of the entire cast, and Alex thinks he's insane and needs a therapist or a psychiatrist...

He's French...

He snitches to the police!?

Alright, that's it, this character is trash.

I can sympathize with freezing your relatives' corpses underneath the ocean, I can understand resorting to casual violence as an alternative to mental health treatment, I can even tolerate the edgelord "Gen X" stuff, and even the Frenchness, but snitching to the police is where I draw the line. This is too much!

Immagine that this is Ed's and Falke's future. Makes sense, doesn't it?

On 6/19/2022 at 2:00 AM, Phantom_Miria said:

Jokes aside, something I'd like to see from SFVI is bringing back those Street Fighter characters that haven't transitioned yet onto modern Street Fighter games, and there should be only a handful of them left at this point. Sodom, Eagle and Maki from Alpha, and Necro, Sean and the aforementioned Remy from III who'd really need a narrative redesign because as he is he fits the Street Fighter mood very poorly.

We kinda got Q to return in V in some way, since G is basically a redesign of Q and his story is implied to be closely connected as well, even if we don't know how exactly yet. Revisiting Twelve would be interesting because, beneath him being a non functional mess of a character, gameplay-wise he was definitely unique and could have been something if he didn't have shit damage and no combos, and he was one of the best animated characters in Third Strike in spite of being a white shape-shifting blob. Kind of a hard sell though, that's someone else who might need a complete overhaul.

So it's only 7 or 8 characters in total depending on how you consider Q, and a few of them have a fanbase too that's not insignificant. That's few enough that you can gradually mix them with other legacy characters and newcomers to sweeten the deal.

I guess there are also Juni and Juli in there, but good luck selling extra Cammy functions and I think Decapre in IV does a better job at filling their role as Cammy clone that plays different from her.

Please add Lee, Retsu, Geki and Joe (and Eagle) from SF1.

Fun video, don't agree with it completely.

If I have to choose 1 character that should return that has not been in an SF game in a long time AND would fit in with the Street motif of 6:

SF1 - Eagle (Bouncer)
SF0 - Sodom (Mad Gear)

SF2 - Fei (Just because)

SF3 - Q (or heavily re-imagined Remy)

SF4 - Viper (Crime!)

Edited by Daemos

tbh i would not bother much with stick to the urban theme, most of newcomers don't  

Luke, Kimberly - urban 

Jaime - mostly martial arts, just bit urban

Lily- tradition/culture 

Marisa,Manon- fight sports 

JP- bit bizzarre/unusual/anachronistic 

Aki - generic villain shitdesign 

Of redesigns only i would count as urban are Cammy, Ken, Ed maybe Dee Jay and Juri 

Others either are related to martial arts or mostly stick to their usual theme 

This just to say urban theme definitely -sadly- exist, but is not that strong rule, SF6 it's definitely still open to classic SF stuff in 22 cast, and i think (hope) they will given even less fucks about DLCs 

To begin with i feel we may have over-played the importance of Metro City in SF6

1 hour ago, CESTUS III said:

tbh i would not bother much with stick to the urban theme, most of newcomers don't  

It's just the game has this "street level" vibe to it. The intros, world tour cities, the graffiti, everything is stripped down to what it is at the most basic level - a street fight. I would not be surprised at all if the bulk of the story takes place in or is to be inferred from the world tour of the cities on a character by character basis. This would actually be refreshing and a pleasant departure from the whole "Avengers must take down global threat" thing. We're basically Alpha 2ing/Third Striking the story (i.e. This guy is fighting to get his grandfather's car back).

The only problem with this is that it goes against the main open ended questions left by SF5 which all involve global threats and organizations. Which I would hope they would resolve somehow.

The world of Street Fighter approach however allows us to enjoy the story as pockets involving 1 or a few characters running in parallel or consecutively. It allows us to have a more open invitation and integrate characters that really probably have little business in the future (e.g. Sodom, Eagle) based on what happened in SF5/3.

I don't think we overhyped Metro City, it seems to be ground zero for a lot of plot in the universe, and being able to experience it so intimately will be interesting. However I think there are other locales in the universe that can serve as focal points to bring characters together. Very curious to see which ones they pick (besides Japan obviously).

Edited by Daemos
On 6/28/2022 at 7:27 PM, Miðgarðsorm said:

Apparently, the names of Tabasa's three cats, whom she transforms into her shoes and other objects, are Al, Ibn (not IVEN) and Sina (this last one is frequently omitted because it's the cat who transforms into her BAG). They came from eminent Islamic alchemists: Ibn (her left shoe) from Jābir ibn Ḥayyān, better known as Geber; Al (her right shoe) from Abū Bakr al Rāzī, better known as al-Razi; Sina from Ibn Sīnā, better known as Avicenna. The comical part is that... Not a single one of the parts the Japanese took for the cats is a real name in Arabic, except Sīnā... Which was actually the name of Avicenna's great-great grandfather anyway. In Arabic, ابن ibn (also written simply بن bin in the middle of a name) is "son of", thus Jābir son of Ḥayyān... ال Al is the definite article, and سینا Sīnā... Avicenna's full name was أبو علي الحسين بن عبد الله بن الحسن بن علي بن سينا البلخي البخاري Abū ʿAlī al-Ḥusayn bin ʿAbdullāh ibn al-Ḥasan bin ʿAlī bin Sīnā al-Balkhi al-Bukhari. So, Abū 'Alī al-Ḥusayn SON OF 'Abdullāh SON OF al-Ḥasan SON OF 'Alī SON OF Sīnā al-Balkhi al-Bukhari.

It makes sense when you remember that Blade's name in Japanese is Jihad and that Leo's+Blade's country of origin suspiciously resembles North Africa. Possibly inspired by stories of Barbary Lions and warriors in Carthage alongside the tokusatsu I talked about last year. Obviously a Arabic name in pre-Islamic N.Africa is weird but Japan always mixes that region up with all sorts of other parts of the world.

Between this and SF3 NG+2I drawing inspiration from Rai music, I wonder if the Capcom fighting team had a fascination with North Africa/Middle East during the mid 90's. 

On 7/2/2022 at 2:11 AM, martinitolove said:

The snake tattoo magically becoming alive i think may be a tribute to a female assassin (Benisato) from Ninja Scroll

I still remember in the pre-SF4 days people thinking that there was more to Vega all because of that one CvS2 animation and it made used to think Vega was a contender for being Q. Funny how that one detail changes everything.

Edited by N-Tactix
On 6/25/2022 at 7:15 PM, Chun-Li_Forever said:

https://sanctumsanctorumcomics.com/products/51979

STREET FGHTERS MASTERS CHUN LI #1 CVR A GENZOMAN
(W) Kinnaird, Ryan (A) Kinnaird, Ryan (C) Genzoman,
UDON ENTERTAINMENT INC
StockID: 51979 SKU: JUL222133

The strongest woman in the world- Chun-Li- stars in her own one-shot adventure! Interpol Officer Chun-Li travels to her birthplace of China- determined to put an end to a new Shadaloo scheme

On 7/2/2022 at 8:49 PM, CESTUS III said:

I wouldn't say that yet. We only have concept art to go on. Luke's background has him listed as working as a mercenary for a PMC but he sure as hell doesn't look or act the part. For any character that would look like your bland dry martial artist likely won't be one in terms of character to fit the urban theme.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I wouldn't say that yet. We only have concept art to go on. Luke's background has him listed as working as a mercenary for a PMC but he sure as hell doesn't look or act the part.

Yeah, i've put Luke on the "urban" gimmick, him and Kimberly.

Jaime have an hint here and there, but mostly martial arts (no doubt he will fit urban context though)

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

For any character that would look like your bland dry martial artist likely won't be one in terms of character to fit the urban theme.

Beside that i take bland dry martial artist over urban gimmick, sure, they're modern world characters and most will fit a story that bring them to scrap in some city if that's what story require

Example Marisa and Manon seems pure fight sports/martial arts designs, yet they sure have out-of-the-ring alts and life

But you also have characters like Lily that will get thrown into city if story needs without bother much adapt her, SF have tradition of be bizzarre and anachronistic and never been a problem

Plus as far we know seems SF6 will still involve world tour shit, wich probably translate into including usual bunch of exotic stuff etc... really would not bother obsess much over pick characters that can fit Metro City subway or whatever

I accept the inevitable SF6 redesign of some to be made to fit game marketing theme, as long i get decent classic vibes alts or straight recreation of old look

Cammy does that basically, Ken guess will too

But again, you also have SF6 chara designs that clearly don't give much fucks about fit urban style, so i would not write off anybody in the name of a theme that -thanks gods- can get ignored if the character is better without it

Essentially as far we seen watching the 22 i can't think a single SF char of the past that can't make it to SF6

One/only thing i think will change is that new characters will less likely used as "freaks", of newcomers only i can think is Marisa and will be linked to a positive modern value, as somehow they will portray her as some sort of still-beautiful-strong-woman.

JP is more flamboyant/anachronistic than freak in old SF way, rest is mostly safe play

But that's just a theory, possible if SF6 will do like SFV and deliver newcomers through whole life we will get new freaks too. Marketing-approved freaks, but still

SFV was already bit like that

I found Chun-Li's Win quote to Jamie. Seen at the end of this video here. It's fading out, so pause to see it real quick. But it's interesting.

Chun-Li to Jamie: "Fancy yourself a peacekeeper, don't you? That's fine and all, but mind your manners."

Jamie is known as they local peacekeeper in Chinatown. So we already got a similarity of how Chun-Li fought for peace and justice when she was younger. And now Jamie is doing the same, though starting small on a local level. I'm not sure if Chun-Li continues to do so, since she's probably busy teaching kids kung fu. She is a respected member of the community, so either her reputation precedes her (she's so legendary that no one would dare mess with her and her town), or Chun-Li continues to protect her community outside of her job. 

Jamie aspires to follow the example of Yun and Yang, but correct me if I'm wrong with this. But isn't Yun and Yang partially following in the footsteps and look up to Chun-Li? So Jamie is a mere 2 degrees away from Ms. Legendary Lighting Legs herself. 

Of course, Chun-Li is quick to point out for the young blood Jamie to respect his elders. I'm guessing this could me out of more than just respect. But Chun-Li was indeed an emotionally driven, and headstrong character in her Alpha years. And it certainly has landed her into trouble more than once. Maybe Chun-Li wants Jamie to not let his youthful inexperience and attitude to take for granted the important things in life.

Now granted, we've yet to see any real deep emotional connections to anything with Jamie. He's just a fun character ready to make some noise and some impact. But later down the line, maybe he'll find something worth fighting for that might have to take seriously? It's interesting to think about. And I'm curious how Chun's and Jamie's relationship will pan out, seeing as both have connections to Yun and Yang.

4 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Chun-Li to Jamie: "Fancy yourself a peacekeeper, don't you? That's fine and all, but mind your manners."

Jamie is known as they local peacekeeper in Chinatown. So we already got a similarity of how Chun-Li fought for peace and justice when she was younger. And now Jamie is doing the same, though starting small on a local level. I'm not sure if Chun-Li continues to do so, since she's probably busy teaching kids kung fu. She is a respected member of the community, so either her reputation precedes her (she's so legendary that no one would dare mess with her and her town), or Chun-Li continues to protect her community outside of her job. 

Jamie aspires to follow the example of Yun and Yang, but correct me if I'm wrong with this. But isn't Yun and Yang partially following in the footsteps and look up to Chun-Li? So Jamie is a mere 2 degrees away from Ms. Legendary Lighting Legs herself.

Tbh Jaime figure feels pretty different

Chun was daughter of cop, growing becoming cop herself and following that generic noble ideal of justice, laws and all that shit

Jaime feels more like hot-head scrappy, good heart, toughest guy of the area that will show up (or be called by locals) to beat the shit out of eventual outsider criminals that come and bring chaos to the city

Feels something closer to outlaw protector/benevolent criminal, kinda like Cody was for Metro City, but maybe with local culture being more tolerant about it and possibly links to underworld

Consider that Yun and Yang were sons of a criminal and have been raised by important HK underworld figures, and while working at restaurant they would show up to do similar things, like kick out invaders, break up brawls etc

Organized underworld society after all like peace, and hate who bring chaos

It's true that Chun had a link to underworld too in Gen, but on reality it's all about Gen being old Dorai's friend apparently, nothing that throw dirt on her record as cop

Edited by CESTUS III
11 hours ago, Daemos said:

Jaime is giving me Kung Lao vibes. Arrogant and egocentric. Probably needs to be humbled. Where is Master Lee when you need him?

Guess i wanted young asshole for chinese market, straight counterpart of Luke

At first was strange they went for asshole-asshole instead usual cocky fighter-quiet humble fighter... but Luke was already an asshole and guess they wanted break the "quiet asian" stereotype, wich under marketing pov make sense, watching characters in some chinese games they seem to like the idea to see chinese chars have swag and flashy shit lol

I don't mind him tbh, the mix of cocky young kung fu fighter and western urban contamination just feels a follow up of what they did already back to Yun and Yang days

Plus compared to Y&Y he seems to have bit darker side, wonder/hope they will explore it, so maybe they can build interesting contrast with luke:

Luke rough and violent asshole as style but ultimately nice guy

Jaime chill and playful but vicious af deep down (see desperation super)

Completely different topic, random theory time

Wonder if Marisa hair color is not random and she's actually related to Aprile and Maggio

Five character references you may have missed in the Street Fighter 6  gameplay trailer - Latest Game Stories

sfv-dolls-aprile.jpgCharacter Guide 234: Maggio | The Character Guides | Activity Reports |  CAPCOM:Shadaloo C.R.I.

It could make sense if she's like the oldest sister and went for a different path than Maggio to find Aprile: while Maggio tried to get Soul Powers to find out where she is, Marisa may have took another route and became a fighter trying to infiltrate into these circles, as maybe she discovered Shadaloo is ever interested in strong fighters

One pointagainst this may be instead potentially an hint: my first thought was this idea to be unlikely, as to keep the words play of Aprile and Maggio being months names, if Marisa was their sister she should have month name too

Months of the Year in Italian | Woodward Italian

If we want keep the order where Aprile is older than Maggio because she come first (and indeed Aprile in SF is older), we may theory if Marisa is oldest sister she could have been named after Gennaio, Febbraio or Marzo

To keep it consecutive (as Aprile and Maggio are), she could have been called Marzo (to do Marzo-Aprile-Maggio)... but MARZO "sound" male

We have indeed a female name that come from that word, wich is MARZIA

Now MARISA it's not MARZIA, but indeed name share similarities, basically are 1 letter different+a switch

To be honest "Marisa" (of the sea) original meaning have no link with "Marzia" (related to Mars), but would not be surprised if similar letters would make japanese team be like "eh close enough" *

If we want for a moment consider all this as a possibility, we may add further step theory and consider that's possible that to don't be identified as Aprile's sister by shadaloo, she could have slighty modified her name from Marzia to Marisa

Plus another fun coincidence, Marzo (March) is the month dedicated to the roman deity Marte (Mars), who was the god of war and ancient romans (specially soldiers) worshipped his figure a lot, to the point of call themselves "Sons of Mars" as the myth wanted Romolus and Remus (Rome founders) to be his sons

And we know Marisa's theme gimmick seem to dig a lot into ancient roman warrior imagery

Again, maybe all total bullshit, but as i thought this potential link guessed why not share lol

*wonder if @Miðgarðsormwould find some similarity between Marzia and Marisa written in japanese 😄

I missed this info before, so I have to thank Eventhubs for pointing it out.
Q-Bee was copied (yeah, Akitomo exactly said "TOTALLY RIPPED-OFF") from Chika, a bee-like alien girl from the manga Space Family Carlvinson. Akitomo just made her creepier by removing the original comedic parts. Interesting.
Like Q-Bee, Chika was fully an insect, and only imitated being a human through mimicry.

Spoiler

Edited by Miðgarðsorm