Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

On 7/25/2022 at 5:50 PM, Chun-Li_Forever said:

You think that Chun-Li, a Kung Fu master and Sifu, would know the importance of a strong stance.

The anatomy/aesthetic of females in fighting is in the service of the male gaze and not in the interest of said fighters who happen to be female.

Some of ya'll Chun-Li fans got pissed that she didn't get her punch in on Bison, what you should be pissed at is that since SF2 Chun-Li -when not trying to get revenge- was reduced to either fodder for men (see SF2 Ending) or a Mother, because what else is a woman going to be?

On 7/30/2022 at 11:31 PM, Daemos said:

The anatomy/aesthetic of females in fighting is in the service of the male gaze and not in the interest of said fighters who happen to be female.

Some of ya'll Chun-Li fans got pissed that she didn't get her punch in on Bison, what you should be pissed at is that since SF2 Chun-Li -when not trying to get revenge- was reduced to either fodder for men (see SF2 Ending) or a Mother, because what else is a woman going to be?

Well, SF is born as product for young men decades ago, so females being mostly used as eye candy is'nt surprising

It's also a japanese, kinda shonen product... go watch larget majority of relevant anime/manga and the stronger characters list it's either all males or heavily male dominated

SF6 may do some extra gesture to empower females in a western way because it's trying hard to please americans, but tbh i think at the core will stay the same with new young heroes for american (Luke) and chinese (Jaime, even if he's HK) market being young males

Maybe Chun will school Luke's or Jaime's ass (who are still green) but that's about it i guess

Chun will be in her most powerful version ever and seem stronger due experience gap vets will have over the new wave of young fighters, see how she's on another league while sparring with Li Fen

8 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Chun will be in her most powerful version ever and seem stronger due experience gap vets will have over the new wave of young fighters, see how she's on another league while sparring with Li Fen

This is good for her. At least she is not defining herself or her worth in relation to other men - good or evil, and is pursuing something higher. This is the main reason why the crowd shipping for Ryu and Chun need to STFU. Having both characters simply holding tremendous mutual respect for one another due to shared trauma and their respective mastery is infinitely more valuable to SF.

I think the biggest feminist win in SF to date is Chun-Li officially overtaking Ken as the #2 Street Fighter after Ryu. This started in SF5 but it is in full swing now.

Edited by Daemos
1 hour ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

In SF3 fanbook. Ryoredcyclone mentioned that some time ago on twitter. Dudley's parents are alive and well, his father just retired after having lost everything.

Whaaaaat?! I never knew this! I even thought his car quest was so sentimental because that would be the last thing from a dead parent! This and him having a daughter are HUGE news! 😮

25 minutes ago, ShockDingo said:

Whaaaaat?! I never knew this! I even thought his car quest was so sentimental because that would be the last thing from a dead parent! This and him having a daughter are HUGE news! 😮

I also found out about this only today, after BootyWarrior said so. I simply googled it to verify.
The fact Dudley is so obsessed with his father's car is answered in the previous Q&A: when his father went bankrupt, Dudley swore to get back everything the family lost to pay for their debts, down to the single teaspoon. He succeeded, but he couldn't find the Jaguar anywhere. Getting it back would mean to get back his youth to him.
I don't know if the fact Dudley has divorced is merely a guess, as Dudley doesn't say anything about a wife or a previous lover in the scan Ryoredcyclone posted.

Edited by Miðgarðsorm

I think Chun won the "Strongest Woman In The Word" when cast looked like

Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition - SuperCombo Wiki

Essentially first impression Chun was the only woman able to scrap with world strongest fighters

tumblr_inline_n6ct80UJP31r7ynjm.jpg

There was'nt much her vs other females debate in that statement, by the fact she won the "title" by being the only female to reach that elite circle at that point

Edited by CESTUS III
4 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

I think Chun won the "Strongest Woman In The Word" when cast looked like

Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition - SuperCombo Wiki

Essentially first impression Chun was the only woman able to scrap with world strongest fighters

tumblr_inline_n6ct80UJP31r7ynjm.jpg

There was'nt much her vs other females debate in that statement, by the fact she won the "title" by being the only female to reach that elite circle at that point

That literally proves what I was saying. She bestowed the moniker on herself.  It wasn't a title won.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

That literally proves what I was saying. She bestowed the moniker on herself.  It wasn't a title won.

Yes, but was also the kind of hype Capcom people were implying to be fair, with her being the first (SF or fight game) woman being worthy of fight with best male fighters of the world

That's up to the point i said there, SF2 CE/HF

By the time of SSF2 with Cammy's arrival, that "title" would have needed to be proven to still hold true and imho started to lose credibility, or at least it's previous certainty vanished

As today i consider Chun Li slighty (but kinda clearly) superior to Cammy, but tbh it's all about stuff happened in later chapters, by the time of SSF2 (when i was kid, with no internet or idea of "canon") i used to consider more or less Chun and Cammy to be equal... to my 10yo eyes they was just two hot speedy girls with lot of kicks, basically same shit but one kung fu china and other military euro flavors

Now i did'nt know shit back then, but now that i know bit more as SF2 arc itself i was'nt that far from the truth i guess lol

Then by the time we got SFA that "title" would sound false due Rose, unless people want start make up theories about the meaning of "strongest" and say that in pure hand-to-hand Chun would win... wich is technically true, but that would be silly as that would remove most of what Rose is about

Not considering SF6 (wich gave us nothing so far), my current very loose SF female food chain looks more or less like

Rose

Seth

Juri, Chun li, Kolin, C.Viper

Cammy, Maki, Karin, Sakura, Laura, Lucia, Decapre, Falke

Juni, Juli, Menat

Akira, R.Mika, Ibuki, Makoto, Elena

Order is not casual, but people on same line are all kinda close

Edited by CESTUS III
1 hour ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

That was obvious as soon as we learnt Kimberly practiced Bushinryū. I'm willing to bet she'll have the classic FF combo LP-MP-HP-HK, and its throw-ending variant. I just hope her specials won't be too similar to Maki's ones, but I'm certainly not holding my breath...

It was never confirmed though until now, just assumed.

I was hoping for Maki since for a character that was never playable in a main SF game she ranked really high in the SF character popularity chart. A shame.

3 hours ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

That was obvious as soon as we learnt Kimberly practiced Bushinryū. I'm willing to bet she'll have the classic FF combo LP-MP-HP-HK, and its throw-ending variant. I just hope her specials won't be too similar to Maki's ones, but I'm certainly not holding my breath...

i also believe when the SF3 group will jump in some very early season, Ibuki (jap ninjutsu girl) and Makoto(jap tomboy girl) will be in 

Not that this will kill Maki's chances, but sure af will not help neither lol

44 minutes ago, ShockDingo said:

I hope that we get more than one reveal, I'm greedy hah. Hopefully there's some surprises!

I think that's likely. 

Not sure if you heard, but there were datamining leaks of the SF6 website updating from 5 character slots to 9. So maybe we'll get two more in addition. Maybe it'll be like the very first trailer where they showcased Ryu, Chun, Luke, and Jamie, but this time, we'll get 4 new ones. Plus hopefully a look at the new modes. Maybe a beta announcement, and a hard release date.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/08/07/how-capcom-designed-kimberly-and-juri-for-street-fighter-6/

Lots of detail here! Kimberly invited herself to be Guy's student. ❤️

Bust out some beats and shake up your spray cans to welcome the newest ninja to Street Fighter 6. Kimberly invited herself to become Guy’s student, who is the 39th Successor to Bushinryu after defeating his master Zeku, the 38th Successor. Kimberly had an ordinary upbringing, but she’s a prodigy who graduated college early and now wants to be a full-fledged ninja. She is infatuated with ’80s pop culture when the portable cassette player was at its peak popularity, hence why she always carries one with her.

Edited by ShockDingo