Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

Interesting, Juri's been effected by Bison's death

First appearing in Super Street Fighter IV, Juri remains a sadistic thrillseeker who enjoys the suffering of others, taking immense joy in obliterating her foes. Previously, her main motivator was revenge against M. Bison, but since his fall in Street Fighter V, she now whittles away her time in a gloomy haze. What lies in store for her now?

1 minute ago, ShockDingo said:

And there is further dichotamy between her and Chunners. Chun-Li moved on by opening a school and raising Li-Fen and has moved on well. While Juri "whittles away her time in a gloomy haze" and probably only gets laughs off social media memes, as well as inflicting pain on others... and giving people their foot fet desires.

1 hour ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

And there is further dichotamy between her and Chunners. Chun-Li moved on by opening a school and raising Li-Fen and has moved on well. While Juri "whittles away her time in a gloomy haze"

It is cool that they're continuing on the theme! She probably spent day one after A Shadow Falls convincing herself that it's all cool and she's fine, but then she'd see how after a bit everyone went their separate ways and she kept getting haunted over "what's next?". I'd love to see where she goes and how she factors into SF6's story. It's interesting since it's been maybe a decade since SF5 now. She probably sat out SF3 cause there was nothing of interest to her and Kolin "lost" her number, but as time goes on she'd probably stir up chaos just to have something to do (random fights, maybe merc work, and maybe that's where her role in Seth's SFV story happens too).

1 hour ago, ShockDingo said:

1- She's probably miserable because Bison gave her and many others purpose and now she is consumed by existential dread. Not even her sadistic hedonism can save her from the gaping jaws of the meaningless void that awaits her!

2- Not dead.

3- Lovely trailers.

Guess i just copy-paste here too

Just woke up

Can't say much about gameplay but as overall impression

Kimberly is a nice design overall, maybe nothing exceptional, but does pretty good job at link heavy with Guy's design while being a completely different char, and at same time is the closest char to SF6 spirit (super urban, spray paint everywhere), giving it a 7/10

Silhuette/proportions are interesting (plus i love slim fit girl with important ass), design bit too busy

Her moveset does'nt strike me much, but that was a problem of guy too to some extent... the most "SF" special i see on her are the air ninja suplex, but tbh don't work much on her and her frame (i liked the spinning version and the variant though), probably would have prefered them give more unique spray can based stuff, the parallel between spray cans and ninja old smoke bombs could have been played on more.

Loved they gave her firecrackers as another modern parallel to old school ninja explosives... the inevitable rivalry with Ibuki is going to be fun

Juri has been pretty good, did'nt surprised much but i loved how they're basically admitting SF4 Juri is best Juri, and was nice see the Sf4 Ultra return

Keep tools and the bike idea from V was right thing to do too

Again nothing surprised me, but i prefer not be surprised because everything got done right rather than be "surprised" by bullshit

Now give me her SF4 classic alt, or at least a SF4 tribute color on the default one and we're good

Stage is the one of SFV prototype that was listed as Fang's stage but never made it

Prerelease:Street Fighter V - The Cutting Room Floor

Fang 4K wallpapers for your desktop or mobile screen free and easy to  download

Next guess is Ken and Cammy, i expected them at EVO

Very curious to see Zangief, Ken and Sim in SF6 style, for newcomers probably JP and Manon are the ones i'm most curious about

5 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I dunno...Kimberly feels pretty redundant with Ibuki and Maki to me.

As much i'm usually the first against redundant repetition beyond Ryu-Ken, i think she's going to have good rivalry/contrast dynamic with Ibuki, they will play a lot on traditional vs modern

Maki... i don't think will be a problem, because i doubt she will be in SF6

9 hours ago, mykka said:

Kim and the musician she's connected to, is it Dee Jay?

Speculation is that she's listening to Dee Jay's music in her cassette player. It's seems implied with the only reason for not being outright stated is that Dee Jay hasn't been revealed yet. Which telling to me, they don't see to have an issue name dropping characters that aren't on the roster.

27 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

May be memory playing tricks, but did'nt Tiger Mask in the anime had a similar attack?

11 minutes ago, mikros said:

IIRC Alex' command dive also has the arms crossed.

That's because the origin of Nam's attack was Mil Máscaras's Flying Cross Chop, which also became a trademark move of every real-life Tiger Mask (and any stereotypical Mexican luchador in fighting games, see KOF's Ramon, VF's El Blaze, DOA's Lisa, Tekken's King, AK and JC... also Alex in SF3.). In wrestling, the move is done against a standing opponent, but Nam's version is performed against a floored foe.
Interestingly, since Mil Máscaras only went to Japan in 1971 and Tiger Mask's first animated series was filmed in 1969, the first Tiger Mask never uses the move. It's only the second Tiger Mask who starts using it.

Schermata-2022-08-08-alle-16-44-20.jpg

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Speculation is that she's listening to Dee Jay's music in her cassette player. It's seems implied with the only reason for not being outright stated is that Dee Jay hasn't been revealed yet. Which telling to me, they don't see to have an issue name dropping characters that aren't on the roster.

Dee Jay was making music in the 80s?

That means he must be much older in SF2 than we thought.

Anyway, ya'll know how I feel about "Kombat Kids". Kimberly's graffiti angle is what makes her interesting but everything else seems reductive.

23 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Completely disagree.  A HUGE part of her moveset is ripped directly from Guy.

FFS, she even ripped off Ibuki's "On the scene!" catch phrase.

And? Zeku has a bushin flip and it doesn't work the same way and it has different moves. 

Kimberly is doing bicycle kicks off her command run which I never see Guy do. She has her own spin on his basic chain combo. The Izuna drop and hurricane kick thus far are the only "ripped" moves. 

Not seeing anything here that would make Guy redundant 

18 minutes ago, mykka said:

I'm wondering if they'll sideline Ibuki too? Maki is probably out, but I think Ibuki still has a shot. 

Guy definitely isnt out since he's directly linked to Kimberly and he wasn't in SFV. They could do a sort of Rose/Menat story for both.

Game is set years after SF3, Ibuki probably has 5 kids by 4 different baby daddies by now.

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

Anyway, ya'll know how I feel about "Kombat Kids".

Is it "negatively"?  Cause if so, same.

I never understood the point of "new character that's just copying an old character".  If you want the old character's stuff in the game, why not just KEEP the old character, instead of discarding that character's fanbase to try and get them to switch over to another character.  Especially when that character is functionally killing the character they already like.

It's not as bad as an Evil Ryu.  But it's still pretty bad.

Why not make Kimberly an actual unique character, instead of making her a Guy ripoff and pissing off Guy fans for no reason?

Edited by DarthEnderX
19 minutes ago, mykka said:

I'm wondering if they'll sideline Ibuki too? Maki is probably out, but I think Ibuki still has a shot. 

Guy definitely isnt out since he's directly linked to Kimberly and he wasn't in SFV. They could do a sort of Rose/Menat story for both.

Nah, Ibuki high chances stay about the same, if anything Ibuki and Kimberly are so different/opposite that it may encourage a rivalry

SF3 had only 3 missing females and i think when they will add SF3 all of them have decent chances

Ibuki - Never missed a chapter: SF3-SF4-SFV, they must like her... plus nobody in current/leaked cast cover traditional "ninja" character

Last, for what's worth, it was one of the recognized spray tags

Spoiler

more graffiti names from the capcom/sf6 website : r/StreetFighter

Makoto- Pretty requested waifu, have a loud fanbase that waited with blueballs for the whole endless SFV arc, think will be easily DLC material

Elena- She may have a bad rep, but SF6 seems to consider ethnicity variety important for a SF cast (i do too, even if for different reasons), and before Menat birth Elena has been the only rep of whole african continent... i think with their marketing gimmicks Elena may have decent chances due background

Sad part is i fear i will not get funny savannah stage

24 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Is it "negatively"?  Cause if so, same.

Oh definitely it's negatively. It's lazy and could make the progenitors redundant. It rarely succeeds at creating a "kid" that is as good as the original but different enough to warrant the existence of both. Some will say Menat is one of the better examples of this phenomenon but as much as I enjoyed Menat I could do without ever seeing her again. Rose on the other hand ❤️

Kimberly did not need any association with Guy/Zeku to be relevant. She could even have been a ninja but still be unique. She has something unique going for her after all. These cheap associations are unnecessary and diminish both her and Guy.

Edited by Daemos

Thats an interesting point about unecessary associates, they can create a brand new lore surrounding a new character without linking them to someone else. Even Menat could've easily had no link to Rose if they wanted, their was already a Maggio/Aprile link to her after all. 

39 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Nah, Ibuki high chances stay about the same, if anything Ibuki and Kimberly are so different/opposite that it may encourage a rivalry

SF3 had only 3 missing females and i think when they will add SF3 all of them have decent chances

Ibuki - Never missed a chapter: SF3-SF4-SFV, they must like her... plus nobody in current/leaked cast cover traditional "ninja" character

Last, for what's worth, it was one of the recognized spray tags

Reveal hidden contents

more graffiti names from the capcom/sf6 website : r/StreetFighter

Makoto- Pretty requested waifu, have a loud fanbase that waited with blueballs for the whole endless SFV arc, think will be easily DLC material

Elena- She may have a bad rep, but SF6 seems to consider ethnicity variety important for a SF cast (i do too, even if for different reasons), and before Menat birth Elena has been the only rep of whole african continent... i think with their marketing gimmicks Elena may have decent chances due background

Sad part is i fear i will not get funny savannah stage

Ibuki is popular but not Juri or Sakura popular. We'll see. So far she has had a 100% track record, but with SF6 they might change things up. I dont think those spray tags mean much tbh

I really dont care for Makoto but she's an obvious DLC. Elena had her reputation ruined in SF4, not sure if Capcom will ever bring her back which is unfortunate.

Edited by mykka
17 minutes ago, Daemos said:

Oh definitely it's negatively. It's lazy and could make the progenitors redundant. It rarely succeeds at creating a "kid" that is as good as the original but different enough to warrant the existence of both. Some will say Menat is one of the better examples of this phenomenon but as much as I enjoyed Menat I could do without ever seeing her again. Rose on the other hand ❤️

Kimberly did not need any association with Guy/Zeku to be relevant. She could even have been a ninja but still be unique. She has something unique going for her after all. These cheap associations are unnecessary and diminish both her and Guy.

How? You got to explain to me how a material artist taking on an apprentice somehow diminish him.

Honestly, fighting game players isn't much different from comic fans. Kimberly could exist without the association with guy but the connection to an established character will get people more willing to invest in her.

When it comes to the Kombat kids, I'm waiting for them to completely replace their progenitors. I think Sonya, Jax and Johnny have run their narrative course. Let them have their happy ending

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

How? You got to explain to me how a material artist taking on an apprentice somehow diminish him.

Because the goal isn't to improve Guy's story or character, it is to pass the baton because "characters are functions" and they need a new vessel that appeals to a wider audience. Kimberly is the new Bushin "function" - She is younger, hotter, more diverse and hip. She checks all the points for marketing. How can a poor ninja from the 80s ever hope to compete with her perky breasts and butt?

4 minutes ago, Daemos said:

Because the goal isn't to improve Guy's story or character, it is to pass the baton because "characters are functions" and they need a new vessel that appeals to a wider audience. Kimberly is the new Bushin "function" - She is younger, hotter, more diverse and hip. She checks all the points for marketing. How can a poor ninja from the 80s ever hope to compete with her perky breasts and butt?

She's going to need a straight man. Characters with Kimberly personality can easily be annoying. Having someone like Guy to bounce off of can help her a lot.

Since Bison is dead where can they really take Guy's story? Unless Capcom wants to pull the trigger on the Rose ship there's not a lot they can do with him storywise.

Since Bison is dead where can they really take Guy's story? Unless Capcom wants to pull the trigger on the Rose ship there's not a lot they can do with him storywise.

Everything we've seen so far is in the heart of the Metro City, on the streets! Guy could go searching for his grandfather's lost watch for all I care he should still be the Bushin rep in SF, and Kimberly did not NEED to be associated with him to be relevant or cool.

And Bison is not dead, and Rose's mission is far from complete.

Edited by Daemos
11 minutes ago, Daemos said:

Everything we've seen so far is in the heart of the Metro City, on the streets! Guy could go searching for his grandfather's lost watch for all I care he should still be the Bushin rep in SF, and Kimberly did not NEED to be associated with him to be relevant or cool.

And Bison is not dead, and Rose's mission is far from complete.

I would like to see yakuza Guy from Streetwise but I'm sure I'm the only one who wants that 😛. I'll take Guy as a sensei and see how well his stoicism can hold up to Kimberly 's enthusiasm.

I would like to see yakuza Guy from Streetwise but I'm sure I'm the only one who wants that 😛. I'll take Guy as a sensei and see how well his stoicism can hold up to Kimberly 's enthusiasm.

At least her enthusiasm is for actual culture (80s rocked) and not finding a boyfriend. The bar is so low my friend.

Edited by Daemos
13 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

She's going to need a straight man. Characters with Kimberly personality can easily be annoying. Having someone like Guy to bounce off of can help her a lot.

Agreed, but Guy's taken. You save his fiance', Maki's sister, in Final Fight 2. I think we are of similar minds here. I don't like my games being on narrative treadmill. I was literally a child when SF2 dropped and now I'm middle aged. Having Ryu on the SNH conflict train with Bison jobbing for three decades got old....15 years ago. Characters need to grow. Have them running in place is boring.

45 minutes ago, mykka said:

Ibuki is popular but not Juri or Sakura popular.

97% of the future DLC characters are'nt Juri or Sakura popular, but Juri is already in and Sakura will steal only 1 slot (1 slot too much, but that's me being grinch)

Rest of DLC slots will end up to somebody else, would say of these Ibuki have high chances because she's one of the most popular waifus left out

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

Characters need to grow. Have them running in place is boring.

100% agree.

I am just saying that "Kombat Kids" or any manifestation of it is the cheap and lazy writer's way out for character development in most cases. It's doubly worse in fighting games because all we have are these characters and this method of character development relegates them as functions. If the "Kombat Kid" character ends up being resonant they may actually retire the progenitor entirely. 

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

100% agree.

I am just saying that "Kombat Kids" or any manifestation of it is the cheap and lazy writer's way out for character development in most cases. It's doubly worse in fighting games because all we have are these characters and this method of character development relegates them as functions. If the "Kombat Kid" character ends up being resonant they may actually retire the progenitor entirely. 

I honestly don't see it that way. Having these characters become mentors and/or parents is letting us see another facet of their character. I honestly can't say that doing this has diminished Johnny Cage or Terry Bogard. In their cases it made them better characters as having kids to look after have given them a maturity they otherwise would have never gotten. Who knows, maybe Kimberly would encourage Guy to actually loosen up for a change.

Edited by Hawkingbird
2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Kimberly is doing bicycle kicks off her command run which I never see Guy do.

Maki did. She followed them up automatically with a Bushin Izuna Otoshi, though.

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

She has her own spin on his basic chain combo. The Izuna drop and hurricane kick thus far are the only "ripped" moves.

Also the LP-MP-HP-throw combo, as it was to be expected. Some normals as well, consequently.

4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Who knows, maybe Kimberly would encourage Guy to actually loosen up for a charge.

"Master Guy, I heard Rose is waiting for you with open legsARMS. With open arms."

6 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I honestly don't see it that way. Having these characters become mentors and/or parents is letting us see another facet of their character. I honestly can't say that doing this has diminished Johnny Cage or Terry Bogard. In their cases it made them better characters as having kids to look after have given them a maturity they otherwise would have never gotten. Who knows, maybe Kimberly would encourage Guy to actually loosen up for a charge.

Being a dad improved Johnny Cage's character by leaps and bounds. I honestly liked the fact that Sonya, not Johnny, ended up being the worse parent. Completely the opposite of how you'd think the situation would end up.

17 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

97% of the future DLC characters are'nt Juri or Sakura popular, but Juri is already in and Sakura will steal only 1 slot (1 slot too much, but that's me being grinch)

Rest of DLC slots will end up to somebody else, would say of these Ibuki have high chances because she's one of the most popular waifus left out

I'd say in terms of popularity left:

1 - Sakura

2 - Makoto

3 - Poison

4 - Karin

5 - Ibuki

6 - R. Mika

7 - Rose

8 - C. Viper

9 - Laura

10 - Menat

The others have less of a fanbase. Sorry to Elena, Akira, Decapre, Juni/Juli, Maki, Ingrid, Lucia, Falke, Kolin. Wont say they have 0 chances, but they are slim.

Edited by mykka
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Being a dad improved Johnny Cage's character by leaps and bounds. I honestly liked the fact that Sonya, not Johnny, ended up being the worse parent. Completely the opposite of how you'd think the situation would end up.

Sure but their daughter beat fucking Shinnok with her eyes closed, and is one of the most retarded characters ever introduced in a fighting game.

Cage and Sonya are greater characters definitely, but the daughter - much like Ed in SF5 - is a plot device. She was deus ex machina in MK10, and a great tool to make Cage and Sonya - two bland characters - far more interesting to the point that you are rooting for them in 11. Good for NRS. But their daughter can fuck off now.

Edited by Daemos
3 minutes ago, Daemos said:

Sure but their daughter beat fucking Shinnok with her eyes closed, and is one of the most retarded characters ever introduced in a fighting game.

Cage and Sonya are greater characters definitely, but the daughter - much like Ed in SF5 - is a plot device. She was deus ex machina in MK10, and a great tool to make Cage and Sonya - two bland characters - far more interesting to the point that you are rooting for them in 11. Good for NRS. But their daughter can fuck off now.

Johnny>Cassie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MKX&MK11 Sonya