Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

40 minutes ago, Daemos said:

It can only work if it is an act, as in Blanka is being a showman and tongue in cheek. But I think with the success of Blanka-chan, we are past it. He'll probably pull a Johnny Cage and sign autographs at this point.

It will be interesting how they handle the more serious characters' entrances into these streets. Like Bison, Vega, Gill, Urien, etc. These settings are a little too plebeian for their likes...

Yeah, i thought about Blanka-chan gimmick too, wonder if they will keep it from V

New design make him look more civilized, but not necessary rich (as if BC end up being a success), feels kinda rural life style

Btw

Bison - the infinite SF2tAM walk, but would like if they do crossed arms pose  levitating till the ring 

Vega - have him behave like a matador in the arena, raising arms to be admired 

Gill - saviour poses non stop as in his mind the audience must see him as a god/demigod/messiah 

Urien - walking with chin up and over9000 arrogance, disgusted by everything 

Urien walk in ASF cutscene was awesome, like an huge lion having to deal with dirty ass hyenas lol

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

They made an article about SF5 outselling SF2 only after I posted about it here (even though the news was out in official Capcom circles for over a month). They comb through our threads for ideas on how to trigger responses from people. 

they can get more specific, check the timing of the article about Kimberly possibly crippling other bushinryu chars chances 🤣 

Even if at that nothing beat SF wiki, i remember hidden jewels suddently appearing in characters pages after they were discovered in SRK story thread 

Did'nt had problem with that though, i like more people having access with cool lore secrets, rather than these secrets disappearing with our threads 

If anything was sad they stole like 20/25%max of the good stuff, them being lazy at stealing lost lot of infos 

Only part bothered me is that often the stolen good stuff (wich was confirmed by sources/undeniable proofs) was put next to random shit theories as if both were same shit lol 

Overall SF wiki can still be good site as long one accept it's filled with bullshit, and one must do smart picks

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2022/aug/23/luke-character-change-sf6/ 

Kinda interesting

Also lol at 

"Who cares? Uninteresting character that was only created to pander to a specific demographic." 

Same  shit as for Kimberly, showing internet wierdos are on every side 

Btw comment section on general being hilarious, can smell ptsd from highschool dudebros lol... tbh Luke goes to cover a pretty estabilished fight sports archetype, actually took even too much 

Only shame being should have got more grappling/kicking stuff and bit less punching (could have dodged have a fucking srk to begin with) 

Whatever, from now i will pretend his uncle is SF universe Chuck Liddell

Edited by CESTUS III
19 minutes ago, Daemos said:

"He is a master".

Kill him off already!

tbh the idea to be a "Master" you need to be an old person with mystic aura is part of that bunch of asian martial arts pop culture "rules" that find no much ground in reality 

And even staying in asia, Bruce Lee founded Jet Kune Doo at 26 (he died at 33)

Luke is supposed to be world level elite fighter, who even seen some battlefield 

He should not be treated as one SF "great masters" for sure, but could absolutely fit the young master title 

Only thing that turn me away from that is that we never seen him train somebody or have disciples (or at least start develop the attitude for it), but to be fair we did'nt know shit about his SF6 story 

Would be cool if they make him have a class of MMA kids lol

But tbh "Master" can be used also for somebody that reached very high level of skill at hos own art

Edited by CESTUS III
38 minutes ago, BootyWarrior said:

Luke being a master before Ryu is both hilarious and sad at the same time. What's the point in Ryu dressing up like Gouken if he isn't a master raising a kid and  running his own dojo?

To me at least, it seems that they are presenting both Ryu and Chun Li as masters. Their vibe and aesthetic is completely different from Luke, Jamie, and Kimberly. The new guys in charge seem to have an attention to deal that was missing in early SFV. The make a point to mention Ryu's attire is similar to Gouken's. They show Chun Li schooling Li Fen with near zero effort.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

To me at least, it seems that they are presenting both Ryu and Chun Li as masters. Their vibe and aesthetic is completely different from Luke, Jamie, and Kimberly. The new guys in charge seem to have an attention to deal that was missing in early SFV. The make a point to mention Ryu's attire is similar to Gouken's. They show Chun Li schooling Li Fen with near zero effort.

To my knowledge, Luke and Chun-Li are the only ones confirmed to be masters. 

5 hours ago, BootyWarrior said:

Luke being a master before Ryu is both hilarious and sad at the same time. What's the point in Ryu dressing up like Gouken if he isn't a master raising a kid and  running his own dojo?

I don't see Ryu ever thinking of himself as a master as he's perpetually in training.

Edited by Hawkingbird
51 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

yeah if you come to realized it

G- was the influencer youtuber then Luke is the tiktokerist

where's the one on twitter? Juri or Rashid?

Juri. She's female, non-white, and bi-sexual. She'd be able to post all kinds of fucked up shit on Twitter and not get banned. Ezra Miller pees standing up, is white, and isn't banned. Juri would have a damned field day.

4 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

I hope if someone in the *new characters it would had been implemented right, not a og character suddenly became a twitch streamer

Akira would had been an interesting motovlogger?

I could see a few OG characters go that route. Being a musician an IG is a must for Dee Jay.

I can see Blanks doing twitch to try to sell those god awful blanka-chan dolls.

With Project Justice having a character learning to fight with Saikyo mail courses and getting a commercial at the 3 a.m. slot, I could see Dan trying to use social media to get more buzz for his dojo.

However like those two, Dan would fail someway. Maybe the algorithm doesn’t favor him, maybe he forgets all of his passwords, maybe he somehow gets canceled. Because it’s Dan, it will go wrong. 

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

If anyone gets cancelled it will be Balrog. His attitude is prime for cancellation. I bet photos of him killing Sim elephant did more to kill his career than actually killing a man in the ring.

Nah, it's gonna be Sakura.

1) Uses ableist slurs.

2) Literally did blackface.

3) Has a history of sexual harassment against karate-practicing hobos.

She's gonna be the Gina Carano of Street Fighter, including playing the role of chick getting her hair sniffed by Joe Biden (the Guilty Gear player) in some weird movie.

9 hours ago, BootyWarrior said:

Any playable SF character can be considered a master martial artist.  All of them are the strongest practitioners of their given fighting style.

Dan is jokingly weak compared to the others, and even he is much stronger than grunts like Shadaloo Soldiers and Peter.

6 hours ago, Daemos said:

Luke being a master further cements him as the embodiment of everything wrong with the new generation. Can't wait for his master classes on youtube.

3 hours ago, BornWinner said:

With Project Justice having a character learning to fight with Saikyo mail courses and getting a commercial at the 3 a.m. slot, I could see Dan trying to use social media to get more buzz for his dojo.

Ken was the first in SF to sell vids lessons, we even know Sean started train with them before actually meet Ken lol

6 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Any playable SF character can be considered a master martial artist.  All of them are the strongest practitioners of their given fighting style.

Dan is jokingly weak compared to the others, and even he is much stronger than grunts like Shadaloo Soldiers and Peter.

this is why the so called tier list made before SF4 era should had been made to be forgoten  and dismissed because they seems dated and not something beneficial to the story growth at anyway?

from what official source was that compiled and reference from? 

21 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

This 

Also should be considered that not all young newcomers are treated as weak by default Sean style 

We know by the time of SFV Luke was able to sparring at equal level with Guile, a respected SF veteran, and he's surely improved in SF6

13 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Ibuki is going to be the single mom with 4 kids and 3 baby daddies wondering why she can't get a "high value" man. 😉

because she belongs to the STREET FIGHTERS haha

From the street fighter did she emerge and to the street fighter she will return. And i say unto you, she is for the street fighters.

According to the secret society prophecy

along with Ryu from the Streets

Edited by Shakunetsu

6 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

FbAcW_ZUIAYvngy?format=jpg&name=900x900

Capcom Online Program
September 15

Watch a brand new trailer and find out about the characters featured in [Street Fighter 6], as well as the new World Tour and Battle Hub modes.

Street Fighter 6 Special Program
September 16

Get a taste of the Fighting Grounds and World Tour modes with a real-time gameplay demo, along with an introduction to the vision and visuals of the world of Street Fighter 6. Don't miss it! 
Edited by Shakunetsu

That's great news - we're finally getting a new demo with all the announced characters! And we'll get to see a lil more World Tour? But man, that three and a half week wait time though...

BTW those buttons are pretty cool! Blanka's says "raised in the jungle". I don't actually remember a time where Blanka has spoken or had anything written in Portuguese 

Edited by ToreyBeans
11 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Typically the only real difference between a master and non-master is that the master takes on students.

It can have absolutely nothing to do with skill level.

Tbh the word "Master" does'nt necessary imply to have students, and IS related to skill

Master as root of the word is somebody that have reached mastery, wich literally mean having developed skill/knowledge over some kind of discipline

From there a master can take students or not

Then it's true that in our world lot of unskilled goofy fucks somehow reach high grade and even the permission to teach (being called Master) by just being a quiet asslicker in some dojo for enough years, so to an extent it's true in some (lot lol) cases Master=/=Skill, but tbh that's just a corruption of the word, the title becoming a farce

But i doubt that's what we are speaking for Luke, i think Capcom guy just wanted make clear despite young age he can be considered already good enough to have students (if he wanted to), and tbh all we know from SFV seems to support that

Btw for what we know in SFV, before the Story Mode scrap with Guile Luke was already a NCO, so he likey already trained soldiers (or at least supervised their training) at that point

1 hour ago, CESTUS III said:

Tbh the word "Master" does'nt necessary imply to have students, and IS related to skill

I'm speaking purely from typical martial arts culture not the literal definition of the word.

It is the analog of 'sensei' or 'sifu' and typically associated with teaching. A 'master' is one that is qualified to teach in the same way one also typically thinks of the path of an apprentice towards mastery.

Apprentice->Journeyman->Master

What is the difference?

The apprentice learns, the journeyman has learned and the master teaches (or in more contemporary times, 'employs')

Same thing happens with martial arts. Someone can be at the level of 'master' (like Ryu) without being a master because Ryu still acts/trains/lives as a journeyman. He does not teach. He has not taken on that stage of his journey because Ryu is constantly striving to be better with a total focus on that that precludes teaching. He does not believe he should be teaching because he has not fulfilled his own journey.

Luke seems to teach people judging by the gym and all. He is quite literally a 'master' and would be addressed as such by students in the same way a boxer would address their coach as 'coach' because they are fulfilling the requirements of a coach. Other trained, qualified boxers might be at the level of the coach or even better but since they're not coaching, they ain't a coach.

Can master-level martial artists be referred to as 'master'? Of course, but the title implies things. In English there's a lot of overlap between the concept of 'master' and 'teacher' as there should be but there has been bleed over into just considering very accomplished martial artists as 'masters' of their art. This makes sense though in that you could easily see less experienced/skilled martial artists referring to Ryu as 'sensei'...but it would ALSO be within Ryu's character to recognize his own place in his journey and to rebuff that title by saying that he should not be called 'sensei'. Why? Because he isn't one, at least not in his own eyes. He's not an instructor.

All I'm really pointing out is that in the traditional sense of the term 'master' as it is linked to terms like sensei, Luke who is instructing people IS a sensei and Ryu is NOT a sensei and their skill has nothing to do with it. Can 'master' refer to someone with great skill? Of course, because there's colloquial use the same way Ryu could colloquially be called 'sensei', especially as a sign of respect BUT master/sensei/sifu can, and in many ways should be, totally divorced from skill. In fact, there are official belt levels in most martial arts to denote skill (not that that's always a good gauge at all LOL) where-as master is a honorary title of respect or a position as an instructor.

So in the literal position-related way, yes Luke is a master and Ryu is not.

Doesn't mean Ryu wouldn't blow Luke's doors off...just that Ryu doesn't have students.

1 hour ago, YagamiFire said:

I'm speaking purely from typical martial arts culture not the literal definition of the word.

It is the analog of 'sensei' or 'sifu' and typically associated with teaching. A 'master' is one that is qualified to teach in the same way one also typically thinks of the path of an apprentice towards mastery.

Apprentice->Journeyman->Master

What is the difference?

The apprentice learns, the journeyman has learned and the master teaches (or in more contemporary times, 'employs')

Same thing happens with martial arts. Someone can be at the level of 'master' (like Ryu) without being a master because Ryu still acts/trains/lives as a journeyman. He does not teach. He has not taken on that stage of his journey because Ryu is constantly striving to be better with a total focus on that that precludes teaching. He does not believe he should be teaching because he has not fulfilled his own journey.

Luke seems to teach people judging by the gym and all. He is quite literally a 'master' and would be addressed as such by students in the same way a boxer would address their coach as 'coach' because they are fulfilling the requirements of a coach. Other trained, qualified boxers might be at the level of the coach or even better but since they're not coaching, they ain't a coach.

Can master-level martial artists be referred to as 'master'? Of course, but the title implies things. In English there's a lot of overlap between the concept of 'master' and 'teacher' as there should be but there has been bleed over into just considering very accomplished martial artists as 'masters' of their art. This makes sense though in that you could easily see less experienced/skilled martial artists referring to Ryu as 'sensei'...but it would ALSO be within Ryu's character to recognize his own place in his journey and to rebuff that title by saying that he should not be called 'sensei'. Why? Because he isn't one, at least not in his own eyes. He's not an instructor.

All I'm really pointing out is that in the traditional sense of the term 'master' as it is linked to terms like sensei, Luke who is instructing people IS a sensei and Ryu is NOT a sensei and their skill has nothing to do with it. Can 'master' refer to someone with great skill? Of course, because there's colloquial use the same way Ryu could colloquially be called 'sensei', especially as a sign of respect BUT master/sensei/sifu can, and in many ways should be, totally divorced from skill. In fact, there are official belt levels in most martial arts to denote skill (not that that's always a good gauge at all LOL) where-as master is a honorary title of respect or a position as an instructor.

So in the literal position-related way, yes Luke is a master and Ryu is not.

Doesn't mean Ryu wouldn't blow Luke's doors off...just that Ryu doesn't have students.

Starting with the premise i agree on your analysis on Ryu, and how it applies well to his case

I was talking about martial arts (but not necessary asian MA inner phylosophy)  too, it applies same general western meaning of person who reached great mastery, in this case at some fighting style

If criminal invade wrong house and get sent to hospital by, let's say, an high level karateka with years of experience (but zero students) ... western tv news will be "Karate Master beat up robber", and technically they would be correct in the sense that the guy indeed reached high mastery at his discipline

Master and coach are'nt synonimous, you can be considered a master by having reached great level of skill, but you can be a coach only in the moment you have students 

Guess lot depend wich cultural version of "master" we want to consider 

Master = skill or skill+teaching (either case can work) 

Master = title more related to the act of taking students 

Both exist 

From there real question is not much wich one we prefer pick, but wich was the intention of the person who said it 

By the vibe i get from the interview, seems to me is pretty likely the dude had no intention to trigger some SF canon debate about Luke's specific place in MA subculture hierarchy, but just say "dude is young but already strong/know his shit" 

For how he mention 

"He's a master, but with no wise old man tropes. I think of him as a bit of a young but confident, 'cool gym bro' type."

The gym bro part i think we may see him interact with somebody (guess our created character) as some kind of older brother figure 

Also keep in mind these are the words of spanish localization guy iirc, would take his choice of words as those of somebody that surely know stuff SF6 we don't but not necessary as a TMA culture expert or holy official voice of SF canon 

At some point clearly say "i think of him as", and he's not who created the character, wich mean his choice of words reflect his opinion, but not necessary SF canon

Edited by CESTUS III
5 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Which makes Dan one of the few SF characters that's actually a master.  😛

If we want to use it for who teached his art to somebody at this point SF2  WW cast is started to be filled of them 😄

Ryu

Ken -> Sean

Chun Li -> Li Fen

Guile

Zangief -> Mika

Honda -> disciples

Blanka

Dhalsim -> indian cop

Balrog -> Ed

Vega

Sagat -> Adon

M.Bison -> Rose

And of the ones missing Ryu kinda helped Sakura improve (conceding her occasional fights to check her progress) and Guile pretty likely teached some hand-to-hand combat in the US Army even if i don't remember any canon confirmation of it

4 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

If we want to use it for who teached his art to somebody at this point SF2  WW cast is started to be filled of them 😄

Ryu

Ken -> Sean

Chun Li -> Li Fen

Guile

Zangief -> Mika

Honda -> disciples

Blanka

Dhalsim -> indian cop

Balrog -> Ed

Vega

Sagat -> Adon

M.Bison -> Rose

And of the ones missing Ryu kinda helped Sakura improve (conceding her occasional fights to check her progress) and Guile pretty likely teached some hand-to-hand combat in the US Army even if i don't remember any canon confirmation of it

Don't forget...

Nash->Guile