Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

6 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

EA doubling down on GaaS, Full games sales drop

https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-earnings-call-august-2021

Whatever...

"You should think of Battlefield as a Service"

https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-ceo-you-should-think-of-battlefield-as-a-service

Not that i was planing to buy the game, since fuck EA, but man, is sad that BF has become a shadow of what it used to be 😕

#FuckEA

unknown.png

heh, I think the company behind Outriders only stepped away from the "live service" label because it's become a stigma (and rightfully so).... that game seems to fit the bill to me, as it's a game that is unfortunately online-only with frequent updates.  If there was 1 thing I could erase from the gaming industry right now, it would be that concept of "live service" games.  It only benefits the companies involved...there is no positive for the gamer/consumer.  A regular offline-capable game is, on paper, better for the consumer in every possible way.  You actually "have" a copy of the game for real... and even if it's a commercial failure, you can still play it a year or 2 from now if you feel like it.  Can anyone play Battleborn at this point?  Probably not...and Anthem will soon be the same deal.  The Live service concept can go burn in hell forever.  

Edited by MillionX

speaking of SOR4

Focus Home Interactive acquires Dotemu

The company behind Streets of Rage 4, Windjammers 2, and more.

Focus-Dotemu_08-05-21.jpg

ind statements from each party below.

Christophe Nobileau, CEO of Focus Home Interactive

“The arrival of Dotemu marks a key step in the acceleration of the Group’s growth and in the diversification of its expertise. By enriching our editorial line, we are opening up a new revenue stream and new market shares to conquer in a fast-growing sector.

“We are delighted to welcome to the Focus Group talents such as Cyrille Imbert and his teams, who have succeeded in making games attractive and giving them new life for millions of players around the world. This transaction is a good example of our desire to bring together talents through a long-term partnership with Cyrille, who will remain President and shareholder Dotemu and become a member of the Group’s Executive Committee and future shareholder of Focus Home Interactive.

“Finally, this deal is just another step in our growth story. Following the integration of the Deck13 and Streum On Studio, we are actively looking for other high-potential companies to accelerate our development and expand our offer.”

Cyrille Imbert, CEO of Dotemu

“Joining the Focus Home Interactive Group was an obvious choice for Dotemu. We share the same passion for video games, the same desire to improve, as well as the same values of respect and benevolence towards our partners and teams. While continuing its activities, this new collaboration will allow Dotemu to benefit from the incontestable expertise of Focus Home Interactive’s teams for the production of AA titles and therefore launch the production of future remakes or sequels on licenses of first-generation consoles.

“While retaining the editorial and strategic independence that has made it successful, Dotemu will be able to give even greater ambition to its projects and give itself the means to broaden the range of services offered to studios, in order to guarantee the success of their productions on the retro label as well as on the publishing label The Arcade Crew. Therefore, Dotemu is ideally positioned to achieve its ambitious growth plan to triple its tumover in the medium term.

“My mission will also be to share Dotemu’s expertise with Focus Home Interactive’s teams, to select and convince talented teams to join the Group in order to build, together, a key player in the video game industry on a global scale.”

Hey, maybe DOTEMU can rescue Aeon Must Die from whatever limbo it is now

Will miss Dotemu being independent, they only really just blew up in the last few years but their work was great and I worry for a future retro ish title they could have done being given to lesser quality development teams.

I mean using Streets of Rage 4 as an example outside of the Yakuza team who at Sega is their to trust with such a project? 

Edited by Wellman
8 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I haven't played Battlefield since 1943. That was fun little game. Being EA I would have expected them to put the series on the shelf since Battlefield 5 didn't live up to expectations

It still managed to sell like 7 million copies.

Where it really underperform was on DLC, hence why they cancelled the last chunk, since not only they didn't sell as expected, but also lost the vast majority of its player base (not even giving it as a psn+ game helped from what I know, lol), so they decided to just scrap that game and focus on the new one.

35 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

It still managed to sell like 7 million copies.

Where it really underperform was on DLC, hence why they cancelled the last chunk, since not only they didn't sell as expected, but also lost the vast majority of its player base (not even giving it as a psn+ game helped from what I know, lol), so they decided to just scrap that game and focus on the new one.

The game was projected to sell 8 million. In a inventors meetings they blamed the game not launching with the battle royale mode for the underperformance 

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

The game was projected to sell 8 million. In a inventors meetings they blamed the game not launching with the battle royale mode for the underperformance 

Yeah, I remember that.

They will always blame anything else before accepting what was the real cause that the game underperformed 🤣

But even when the game underperformed, they know that there is still value on the brand, hence why they moved away from the past conflict games and moved back to the futuristic setting.

Plus, even if they don't admit it, they now are avoiding inserting dumb shit on the promotional material of the game.

All so they can try to regain the momentum that Battlefield 1 had that V halted.

I still don't play to buy it, but who knows, maybe it ends not sucking for the fans that are still willing to give the game a chance.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

IIRC, the game is in a limbo due some legal issues between devs and publisher.

But last i checked it was gonna be released soon.

The chief executive of Limestone Games didn't pay all workers for their work, and was kind of abusive. Seems they all left the company, I hope they are doing better now. The publisher Focus says they had no hand in the controversy. Pity because the game looks awesome.

43 minutes ago, PussyStuffer said:

have u guys seen this new gacha game? has witch time dodges and sorta a weird mix between traditional hack n slash combos paired with assist calls and rpg attack stacking.

looks fun, but confusing tho tbh.

I am already pre subscribed, lol.

I hope it is as funs as it looks.

I'm all hyped to hit the links with Toadette in Mario Golf Super Rush and then I see Camelot did our girl dirty! She didn't even get a spiffy new outfit! After all these years, I expect Yoshi to get nothing. That MF been going commando since 1990. But Toadette has been coming up in the world! She was in charge of construction in Super Mario Maker 2's story mode. I mean even friggin' Toad got Swagger.

0/10 update sucks.

yeahhhhh when I saw Hideki and Yuzo's names on that shootemup game that helped seal the deal for me; I'm definitely sold on it now... day 1 purchase.

random thing--- "I Am the Hero" is on sale for just 3.99 on Switch right now... I like that they email you about sales for games that you've marked to be on "wish list" status.

I hope I didn't miss out on the beta access for Back 4 Blood; I haven't actually pre-ordered it yet.... that soundclip is hilarious though... you mean to tell me NO ONE on the sound design part of the dev team heard that without going "heyyyy....y'know that could be seen as a problem... we should redo that one, guys...c'mon you know what that sounds like..." 🤣

also---GEARS 5--- TRIPLE EXP this weekend! 

Edited by MillionX

vira too late to matter. im gonna be honest for a lot a lot of fighting games i realize the cast can't be a popularity contest otherwise it would be 90% shoto's  but granblue characters prob shouldve been the exception. the roster would have been way more hype than what we ended up with. 

soriz over feather? uno?  no mages that cast actual final fantasy style spells? the one gunner is a rushdown character?!

every time I've seen more videos of Gran Blue characters, it's always about the fighting game... I was way more interested in the action-RPG that was shown off a few centuries ago...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granblue_Fantasy:_Relink

so...I guess this never came out, and the last major thing to happen was Platinum not being on the project anymore....maybe this is in that same category with Bayonetta 3 and Elder Scrolls 6, due out sometime in the early 41st century?

edit... and Bloodlines 2; I've added that to the list of "TBA = Never." games 

Feelings Reaction GIF

Edited by MillionX
5 minutes ago, MillionX said:

every time I've seen more videos of Gran Blue characters, it's always about the fighting game... I was way more interested in the action-RPG that was shown off a few centuries ago...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granblue_Fantasy:_Relink

so...I guess this never came out, and the last major thing to happen was Platinum not being on the project anymore....maybe this is in that same category with Bayonetta 3 and Elder Scrolls 6, due out sometime in the early 41st century?

edit... and Bloodlines 2; I've added that to the list of "TBA = Never." games 

Feelings Reaction GIF

last i heard it got delayed to 2022 or 23  im super interested in that game too

She

1 hour ago, nickmanx5 said:

vira too late to matter. im gonna be honest for a lot a lot of fighting games i realize the cast can't be a popularity contest otherwise it would be 90% shoto's  but granblue characters prob shouldve been the exception. the roster would have been way more hype than what we ended up with. 

soriz over feather? uno?  no mages that cast actual final fantasy style spells? the one gunner is a rushdown character?!

I'm surprised by the game's continued support. The game is on life support lasted I checked. 

11 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm surprised by the game's continued support. The game is on life support lasted I checked. 

the game was primarily aimed at japan and two seasons of support were announced before launch. there might have been more plans but i believe they have been heavily scaled back hence the lack of clarity on if vira and the remaining character are part of a 3rd season or shit they were working on and just finishing up before pulling the plug.

covid and the lack of rollback were basically a one-two punch the game couldn't recover from then strive came out and melty is on the horizon for people who want a more traditional air-dasher with a good netcode it's sad because i really do like versus.

Edited by nickmanx5
23 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

the game was primarily aimed at japan and two seasons of support were announced before launch. there might have been more plans but i believe they have been heavily scaled back hence the lack of clarity on if vira and the remaining character are part of a 3rd season or shit they were working on and just finishing up before pulling the plug.

covid and the lack of rollback were basically a one-two punch the game couldn't recover from then strive came out and melty is on the horizon for people who want a more traditional air-dasher with a good netcode it's sad because i really do like versus.

I really do like versus as well. It's a shame that the timing as so awful for it. If presumably Arc System is still working on it Cygames should allow them to backport the netcode for Strive to ensure the game maintains it's audience. It did wonders for +R