Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

So...I was just checking the main website; I wasn't aware of these smaller "Partycade" versions until now!

https://arcade1up.com/products/ms-pac-man-partycade-8-games

This comes out of the box already assembled, actually.....hopefully they make more... though it is still nice to have a nearly full-sized arcade machine at home; on the other hand this style is also slightly cheaper at 200 bucks!

I saw a new TRON arcade 1up they're promoting on the main part of the site as well....I'm browsing around for that TMNT machine though; that's 1 I'd really want.  I remember it came with both Turtles arcade games on there, which is one hell of a bonus, imo....most old fans like me would've been happy with a machine that just has the original, but to also get Turtles in Time in there sweetens the deal, obviously.

edit---yep, it's there:

https://arcade1up.com/collections/holiday-shopping-in-stock-and-shipping-now/products/turtles-in-time-arcade-cabinet

also, here's a review of the X-men arcade 1up

Edited by MillionX
8 hours ago, MillionX said:

So...I was just checking the main website; I wasn't aware of these smaller "Partycade" versions until now!

https://arcade1up.com/products/ms-pac-man-partycade-8-games

This comes out of the box already assembled, actually.....hopefully they make more... though it is still nice to have a nearly full-sized arcade machine at home; on the other hand this style is also slightly cheaper at 200 bucks!

edit---yep, it's there:

https://arcade1up.com/collections/holiday-shopping-in-stock-and-shipping-now/products/turtles-in-time-arcade-cabinet

also, here's a review of the X-men arcade 1up

$700 seems steep for that X-Men cab unless it's got really good guts and you can put other games on it, ditto the Turtles In Time cab, especially since the SNES version is superior to the arcade. 

Those partycade cabs look pretty cool though, that's an interesting design.

Edited by DoctaMario

yeah, and I was never a big fan of the X-men arcade game anyway.... the other games are even less interesting there.  

The TMNT is also going for 700 on the site; I remember in Walmart stores it was only 400, probably since it was not bundled automatically with a stool and riser.

It would've been great if there was a Marvel Superheroes (or DC Superheroes) beatemup game released in that later era, when there was a higher standard for the animation, and the action became a bit faster paced and more combo-focused.... if there was one where the sprites looked like what we got in the Vs. games....ohhhh that would've been GOLD.

....ah, now to look up that Capcom arcade thing they released... I think a few years ago..?  It was basically a dual-arcade stick in the shape of the "CAPCOM" logo, and it had Aliens vs. Predator on it.  Unfortunately I never saw this in stores, so I guess you could only get it online, probably from them directly.  I forgot what else was on there but I would've bought it *just* for Aliens vs. Predator.

edit---yep this was it:

https://www.amazon.com/Capcom-Home-Arcade/dp/B07QS4Q3SQ

Edited by MillionX

Think that game was at The Graduate here in Stockton.  I dont remember it being in the mall arcade.  I remember 4-player TMNT though. 

Mom gave me 20 bucks to have fun with while she shopped.  Put that bill into the quarter macheen and went to the cab and just put them up.  I was finna beat that game that day.  Anyone who wanted to help was welcome.  I beat it, had a bit of money left over so I went and got a hot pretzel and enjoyed my victory.

27 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I remember every fucking time walking into my main arcade as a kid when X-Men was there, the big ass 6 player double monitor cabinet, and hearing Collussus doing his "AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH" yell during his special move no matter where in the arcade you were.

'WELCOME TO DIE!" is one of the most legendary video game quotes of all time

53 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I remember every fucking time walking into my main arcade as a kid when X-Men was there, the big ass 6 player double monitor cabinet, and hearing Collussus doing his "AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH" yell during his special move no matter where in the arcade you were.

The manliest of battle cries. I always mained colossus when I could. If I couldn’t I’d be Nightcrawler 

Edited by iStu X
7 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Wtf Beast got goin on? 🤣

When it comes to the current beast that’s a very loaded question. He’s a fucking sociopath. He genocided an entire nation when he figured out he couldn’t work their organic tech how he wanted with Krakoan tech. And that was just in the first arc of Current x-force run

Edited by iStu X
3 hours ago, purbeast said:

This is the reason it became a meme for magfest and is now used as a form of applause...not including the times that its randomly done throughout the halls of the hotel.

57 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Doop looking so disappointed in beast kills me

I never really payed attention to it lol

54 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Wtf Beast got goin on? Staged a whole intervention for this man, I hope he ain't smoking crack in the comics now 🤣

In that particular instance it was because of bringing the original 5 X-Men to the present violating the laws of physics and space-time continuum, doing things whatever consulting others. He eventually left the X-Men and joined the Inhumans for a while.

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

I just started a new game in HZD in anticipation of Forbidden West. Having never played the DLC, I'm excited to get back into this series. I forgot how awesome it is, and especially so with the PS5 performance boost 

That DLC was so fucking good. I'm tempted to run through the game and DLC again before Forbidden West comes out. 

56 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

That DLC was so fucking good. I'm tempted to run through the game and DLC again before Forbidden West comes out. 

That's good to hear! I honestly don't know much about it except that it's in the snow. 

I'm hoping this pulls me back to start playing some single player games again. I've been playing too much Destiny lately, lol. But having fun doing the hardest content in it.

I'd really like to at least pick back up where I left off on Dark Souls and give it another go before Elden Ring comes out. What I may do is not allow myself to play Elden Ring until I at least give DS another honest try. I really did love the time I had with DS, I just got distracted by another game.

PSVR2 officially called ... PSVR2!

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/04/playstation-vr2-and-playstation-vr2-sense-controller-the-next-generation-of-vr-gaming-on-ps5/

Some more info given out about it at CES today.  

Looks like Guerilla has a HZD game coming exclusive to PSVR2 as well, built from the ground up for it.

I will preorder PSVR2 as soon as it's available for preorder.

13 minutes ago, purbeast said:

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/04/playstation-vr2-and-playstation-vr2-sense-controller-the-next-generation-of-vr-gaming-on-ps5/

Looks like Guerilla has a HZD game coming exclusive to PSVR2 as well, built from the ground up for it.

I'm a little disappointed it doesn't have wireless functionality but that can always come later. The connecting with a single cable is still great to hear. 

I did not expect eye tracking. Most consumer VR headsets don't have that yet. It will definitely give it a leg up. If Sony can price this right it can be an actual competitor to the Quest 2. I'm excited for this. 

4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm a little disappointed it doesn't have wireless functionality but that can always come later. The connecting with a single cable is still great to hear. 

I did not expect eye tracking. Most consumer VR headsets don't have that yet. It will definitely give it a leg up. If Sony can price this right it can be an actual competitor to the Quest 2. I'm excited for this. 

Is the Quest 2 the standalone one?

If so I'd assume the PSVR2 will be much more powerful considering it has PS5 doing a lot of the work.

I also don't expect it to be wireless ever with all the tech that is going into it.  I've never once really had an issue with the wire on PSVR.  But I've also never played a wireless one before.  Gotta also remember those wireless ones aren't also outputting to an external display.

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Is the Quest 2 the standalone one?

If so I'd assume the PSVR2 will be much more powerful considering it has PS5 doing a lot of the work.

I also don't expect it to be wireless ever with all the tech that is going into it.  I've never once really had an issue with the wire on PSVR.  But I've also never played a wireless one before.  Gotta also remember those wireless ones aren't also outputting to an external display.

The Quest 2 is the standalone one. 

I expect for the PSVR2 to be made wireless via accessory. HTC has one for the Vive

https://www.vive.com/us/accessory/wireless-adapter/

Having used a Quest not having a wire is very liberating. Quest is capable of casting to an external display. There's a couple of loops to jump through to make that happen. 

11 hours ago, purbeast said:

I dunno when or if ill be getting a PS5 but this makes me more excited about it. PSVR is pretty awesome already and this sounds like a MASSIVE upgrade.

4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

You mean like Open OS and half the features the PS3 launched with? 

Its a feature you have to pay extra for, and then you got to reboot your system and put it into Dev mode to use the Dev mode support.
Retail games don't work till you reboot the system again. 

Although I do agree, making a firmware update to remove an advertised feature is a low and dirty move 

Final Fantasy X and X-2 producer reflects on the innovative PS2 titles

Final Fantasy X and X-2 producer reflects on the innovative PS2 titles

Yoshinori Kitase Director, Square Enix

We put a lot of ‘new’ in Final Fantasy X. It was the first game in the Final Fantasy series to be built in full 3D, we introduced new types of presentation, a new battle system… it even came out on new hardware. It also spawned the first direct sequel in the series’ history – Final Fantasy X-2.

This game was similarly fresh, and had a very different style, tone, and structure to the rest of the series.

I worked as producer on Final Fantasy X and its sequel. With both available on PlayStation Now in Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster, I thought I’d share some memories of working on these very special games.

51799383131_e8f2b2a6d8_o.jpg

Final Fantasy X

Final Fantasy X was the first game in the series to be developed for the PS2. There are always challenges and decisions to be made when working with new hardware, and that was certainly the case for Final Fantasy X.

The PlayStation 2 effect

One key decision we faced was around the visuals. Even though the PS2 offered a big increase in power from the original PlayStation, there was still a limit to the hardware specs, so to depict the new graphical style, we had to choose whether to prioritize resolution or the number of colors.

Initially, we thought it would be beneficial to use more colors – we thought that would help us really depict the world of Spira in a vibrant way. However, when we looked at the trends in other companies’ games released while we were working on development, it became increasingly clear that fans were hoping for higher resolution next-gen games.

51798438232_2a87163c43_o.jpg

As a result, we switched from focusing on the number of colors to making the game as high resolution as possible – and we did this about six months before the master deadline!

This meant we had to make major modifications to the game we’d made so far, which was a big risk in terms of the schedule. Fortunately, our excellent programmers and designers did a wonderful job.

In the end, a ‘high-res’ Final Fantasy X was born, and we were able to achieve the sort of high-end visuals you’d expect from a next- gen console.

An in-Spira-ing world

The new visual style added other challenges too. For example, Final Fantasy X was the first game in the series to not include a world map – this is because the game was built in full 3D, and that’s expensive!

As game creators, we sometimes have to make decisions that balance game design with ballooning production costs. In this case, dropping the overworld map was the most realistic solution we had available.

Our prior games, Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII had been set in steampunk and science fiction-inspired worlds respectively, so we wanted to do something different.

This might be also the reason why Art Director Yusuke Naora came up with the concept of having a world with an Asian feel to it, and that became the inspiration for Spira.

51799752059_62301516b9_o.jpg

New battle plans

That wasn’t the only break from tradition introduced in Final Fantasy X either – we also reinvented the combat system.

The previous few games had used the Active Time Battle (ATB) system, in which players could take actions whenever a bar filled in real-time. For the new game, we wanted to create battles with greater strategic depth than ever before.

The designer who worked on the battle system had also worked on Front Mission, and he was very skilled at creating strategy games, so we moved to a turn-based system instead.

We also changed how character progression works by introducing the Sphere Grid. This let players manually improve their characters by choosing upgrades from a grid. I’ve been a great fan of board games for a long time, and I wanted to recreate that analogue sensation of moving pieces and filling up the board with them.

Making our voices heard

One new feature that I was personally very passionate about was the introduction of voice acting. I mentioned this in my last blog, but I felt a bit dissatisfied with the fact that Final Fantasy VIII wasn’t voiced.

We achieved more realistic visuals and sounds, but when I think about the scenes in that game, I believe they would have been even more emotional if there had been voice acting included. That was the driving force to make it happen for Final Fantasy X.

Of course, this was the first time we’d ever recorded voiced lines, so it was a lot of work to get it to come to fruition. Nowadays, it’s the norm to get each cast member to go into the recording booth one at a time, and then record all their lines separately. However, back in the day we got multiple cast members to go into the studio at once and record the conversation scenes together.

Because of this, I think that we were able to bring out natural performances, despite this being our first time doing it.

Final (Fantasy) thoughts

Ultimately, I’m proud of what we achieved with Final Fantasy X. I think it’s a landmark game – in terms of the scenario, graphics, camera work, sound, voices, and motion capture, it achieved the ideal cinematic quality that the Final Fantasy series had been aiming for.

I think that the style perfected here helped to establish the look of future Final Fantasy games. One of which was Final Fantasy X-2.

51799383166_1e6d7e444d_h.jpg

Final Fantasy X-2

After Final Fantasy X, we started to feel like we didn’t want the world of Spira and its characters to be over in one chapter, and we wanted to let them take center stage and flesh them out even more.

That’s why we started production on Final Fantasy X-2 – the first direct sequel in the series’ history. We decided to explore a world that had become peaceful after the events of the previous game and tell a different kind of story.

Rather than the theme from the previous story that delves into particular relationships, such as between a man and woman or parent and child, we wanted a bright and light-hearted narrative that would give the game a cheery tone.

The Gullwings assemble

That upbeat attitude was reflected in the game’s playable characters. Unlike previous games in the series, Final Fantasy X-2 has an all-female party: Yuna, Rikku and a new character, Paine.

Many games at the time, not just Final Fantasy, had male protagonists and I wanted to tell a story with Yuna as a strong female character. I thought that would strike a chord with even more players.

The tone is further reinforced by the structure of the game. Unlike the Final Fantasy X, in which you follow the drama in a linear fashion, the quests in Final Fantasy X-2 can be accessed in any order. To increase the variety even more, we increased the number of minigames available in the game.

I recall that the most challenging to make was Sphere Break – a strategically deep coin game. A single game designer working on the game everything, including the programming, single-handedly!

Dress to impress

When it came to combat, Final Fantasy X-2 moved to a new version of the ATB system, which let players time their attacks for combos and more effective attacks. You may be wondering: why the change from the prior game’s systems? It’s because the designer for the battles changed!

The assistant game designer from Final Fantasy X became the lead for its sequel, and he wanted to use a different system.

A big element of the new system were dresspheres, which allowed the party to seamlessly switch between different roles in combat. For example, Yuna could change from a damage-dealing Gunner to healing White Mage, a Thief or many more options in the heat of combat – each accompanied with a flashy outfit change.

This system came about partly as a result of the story of the original Final Fantasy X. In that game, Summons end up disappearing from the world, so the transformations were a way to work in the spectacular visual effects players had come to expect.

For the animations themselves we looked to a genre of kids’ TV shows in Japan, in which the heroes transform or take on a new form. The best part of each episode is when the character transforms with a dynamic performance, and we took inspiration from this.

What’s in a name?

It may sound odd, but one of the biggest challenges we faced when making Final Fantasy X-2 was what to call it. Having a sequel to a mainline game was unheard of, and when we suggested “X-2” the company was initially worried that it would be mistaken for Final Fantasy XII and turned it down. Since then, they’ve grown fond of it of course.

Ultimately the game proved more divisive than other Final Fantasy games – I suspect that’s due in part to the fact that its bright and poppy direction gives it a very different flavor to other entries in the series.

But I think the way that Final Fantasy games try to break away from preconceived ideas is something truly wonderful about the series – and Final Fantasy X-2 is a perfect example of that.

51799511153_7f9871b209_o.jpg

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/05/final-fantasy-x-and-x-2-producer-reflects-on-the-innovative-ps2-titles/

Edited by AriesWarlock
25 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

So I played Vanquish before, the PS3 version.  It seemed cool but that shit made my eyes burn and water so I never played it long or much then I just forgot about it.  Anyhow tried the PC version today and the burning eyes arent and issue.  The game is pretty damn fun.  Poor San Fransisco. 

Vanquish is an awesome fun game. I really wish we would have gotten a sequel that built on what they had here cuz what they had already kicked Gears of War in the nuts lol. Can only imagine what we would have gotten next. 

Sam was supposed to have a robo dog in this game that would attack enemies and act as a mobile waist high wall for him he could place anywhere. Feature got cut and some of those ideas got used on Blade Wolf from Metal Gear Rising. 

https://arcade1up.com/products/atari-legacy-arcade-machine-centipede®-edition

So the new stuff I'm just noticing...  "Atari Legacy" which has 14 games; I'd mostly just be into Millipede, Centipede, Asteroids and Crystal Castles if I got that one.

Then there's the Midway Legacy one:

https://arcade1up.com/products/midway-legacy-arcade-machine-mortal-kombat-30th-anniversary-edition

MK1, 2, 3 and UMK3....+ 10 more games including Rampage...but of course the real deal people would get this for would be the MKs.

...quite a shame that the cpu in the Mortal Kombat franchise is always a cheap asshole son of a bitch though...it's forever a franchise that just isn't fun unless you're playing with other people, since the cpu is bullshit.

1 hour ago, MillionX said:

...quite a shame that the cpuw in the Mortal Kombat franchise is always a cheap asshole son of a bitch though...it's forever a franchise that just isn't fun unless you're playing with other people, since the cpu is bullshit.

It depends on the revision version. Some of them could just be cheesed with jump kicks, foot sweeps, rapid punches, or run in combos in the case of MK3. I think arcade owners were the cheap assholes tho setting the difficulty high to the point that if you threw out any grounded attack within 1/3 screen of the AI, you'd get thrown.

10 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

It depends on the revision version. Some of them could just be cheesed with jump kicks, foot sweeps, rapid punches, or run in combos in the case of MK3. I think arcade owners were the cheap assholes tho setting the difficulty high to the point that if you threw out any grounded attack within 1/3 screen of the AI, you'd get thrown.

No, the AI is complete shit in the game and does stuff you can't do, like performing throws during moves.

The difficulty doesn't affect much either.  I have MK1 and MK2 arcade PCBs and if you change it to the easiest modes it will be brain dead easy for the first 3-4 characters then it becomes nearly impossible until you die then continue.

These games were designed to eat quarters.  They didn't want you to be good enough to finish them with 1 credit.  They wanted you to put in $5.  So they are programmed this way intentionally.  But MK was always way worse than other fighters because it was so mechanical and unnatural feeling.  And it was super obvious they would do BS compared to other games, like throwing you while you were in the middle of a sweep animation.  But that is also why it was easy to exploit them, because the AI was so programmatic.  But playing a fighting game like that isn't even fun.

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

No, the AI is complete shit in the game and does stuff you can't do, like performing throws during moves.

The difficulty doesn't affect much either.  I have MK1 and MK2 arcade PCBs and if you change it to the easiest modes it will be brain dead easy for the first 3-4 characters then it becomes nearly impossible until you die then continue.

These games were designed to eat quarters.  They didn't want you to be good enough to finish them with 1 credit.  They wanted you to put in $5.  So they are programmed this way intentionally.  But MK was always way worse than other fighters because it was so mechanical and unnatural feeling.  And it was super obvious they would do BS compared to other games, like throwing you while you were in the middle of a sweep animation.  But that is also why it was easy to exploit them, because the AI was so programmatic.  But playing a fighting game like that isn't even fun.

I wonder how MK even got so popular, then I realize most people never played the arcades.