Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

heh, easy enough--- Mortal Kombat just brought in that level of "hyper violence" that the other fighting games weren't giving us yet....and with the "digitized graphics" making things look more real compared to the cartoony look of everything else in the 90s....so it was generally fun but also getting by on pure shock value of seeing things like decapitations and people being burned to death at the end of a match.

I'll still get this new MK/Midway Legacy that's coming out... the "collector" side of me can't pass that up.  One nitpick that always bugged me--- in all home versions of MK2 I remember... that bass sound after "FATALITY." was always missing....a damn shame they left that out for some reason...also annoyed me that no one else I knew at the time noticed that shit being gone.  Here it is...this is what you hear on the actual arcade version; it's about the last 3rd when there's bass and a "downward shift" in sound....I love that shit:

I couldnt even see what was done in that video to get free credits. 

Anyhow, back in the day at the Donut Shop someone figured out how to rip off the SF2 cab.  I have no idea how this was figured out but if you stacked a dime on top of a nickel then let a train run them over it made almost a quarter lookin' coin.  Then you tape a string to the coin and drop it in and pull it out.  Do that over and over and just infinite credits.  It didnt last long...the guy at the donut shop figured us out after a several days/a week and had it fixed so our trick didnt work anymore.  But it was fun for that week.

1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I couldnt even see what was done in that video to get free credits. 

Anyhow, back in the day at the Donut Shop someone figured out how to rip off the SF2 cab.  I have no idea how this was figured out but if you stacked a dime on top of a nickel then let a train run them over it made almost a quarter lookin' coin.  Then you tape a string to the coin and drop it in and pull it out.  Do that over and over and just infinite credits.  It didnt last long...the guy at the donut shop figured us out after a several days/a week and had it fixed so our trick didnt work anymore.  But it was fun for that week.

You could do that by drilling a hold in a quarter and tying a piece of fishing line to it.  

I never did it myself and have only read about it, but it is definitely a thing.  

Now I am going to have to try this on one of my cabinets lol.  Thanks.

53 minutes ago, purbeast said:

You could do that by drilling a hold in a quarter and tying a piece of fishing line to it.  

I never did it myself and have only read about it, but it is definitely a thing.  

Now I am going to have to try this on one of my cabinets lol.  Thanks.

Well, we were 9 year old kids.  We didnt really have access to our parents power tools.  But I did test this shit out myself, I did the coins on the track and shit, and it worked.  You'd lower the coin in till it hit a switch or something...you could feel it and get audio/visual feedback from the game itself.  then just kinda bob the coin there and it would just rack up credits. 

I'm not sure how the guy fixed it.  But after he fixed it the "coin" we made didnt do anything and it would come of the string and come out the refund slot.

5 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Well, we were 9 year old kids.  We didnt really have access to our parents power tools.  But I did test this shit out myself, I did the coins on the track and shit, and it worked.  You'd lower the coin in till it hit a switch or something...you could feel it and get audio/visual feedback from the game itself.  then just kinda bob the coin there and it would just rack up credits. 

I'm not sure how the guy fixed it.  But after he fixed it the "coin" we made didnt do anything and it would come of the string and come out the refund slot.

Haha he probably put a razer blade in there.

Another arcade machine I'd get if I saw it, most likely---- Moonwalker.  Sadly, that has next to no chance obviously....imagine a company securing the rights to sell that one; that's probably quite a legal trademark mess there....and expensive since it's Michael Jackson's likeness *and* music all over that game.

...and yeah, I'd get a MvC2 machine as well....man, even without regular people to play against, I enjoyed the hell out of that game for years. (the few friends I had that would play that on occasion with me would get destroyed most of the time, and of course I'm not even good)

haha now I wish I had more space.  If my place was bigger I'd devote a whole room as my personal "Arcade".... there's 1 room I could make into that but it's a bit small for what I'd want to do though.

Edited by MillionX

This game is pretty fun.

This fuckin' Aeterna Noctis game is really fuckin' tough.  The platforming.  Shit is kickin' my ass in some spots.  But its fun.  I'm liking this game more than Hollow Knight (sorry if you don't like that but it is a hollow knight clone type game) so far.  Seems more going on instead of me running around in empty halls.  Strongly recommend this game (again).

43 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm seeing a vendor in the market place here at magfdst selling old VG instruction manuals for up to $15.   Is there seriously a market for this at this price?  I'm having a hard time believing this.

I bet it is mostly due collectors wanting to complete their games with their manuals.

I also assume that having everything could potentially increase the value of the game, maybe.

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm seeing a vendor in the market place here at magfdst selling old VG instruction manuals for up to $15.   Is there seriously a market for this at this price?  I'm having a hard time believing this.

Depending on the game yea completing a set can make or break you know? 

I'd pay 15 bucks for a legit back card to Cotton Boomerang since my copy didnt come with one. It's why it cost only like 200 bucks instead 500+. It's not complete. 

Edited by RSG3
Just now, iStu X said:

@RSG3

get hype? 

Double Post: Yea dude Eschatos is a great game. It's a spiritual sequel to a Wonder Swan shooter called Judgment Silversword. It's a cool story. But Eschatos is that game but polished to a mirror sheen and given all the benefits afforded by "modern" (360 era) hardware. Very cool game. Will be scooping. Thanks for looking out. 

That game looks pretty dope. 

So does this one -

2022 is lookin' pretty solid already in the gaming department.

I noticed that Ghostwire is a Playstation exclusive.  So I guess that means some of you will get to play a shitty version of it on your ps4's and only like 4 of you will get to play the true version thats on PS5.  Kinda sucks.

I mean, it'll probably come to PC some day so I have something to look forward to in 5 to 10 years.

Edit some more - I looked a bit closer.  Turns out it's a PS5 exclusive.  So only like 4 of you will be able to play it.  Kinda sucks.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

I was just at Walmart and while they were out of stock of Switch and PS5 they had a full case full of Xbox Series S/X’s. Probably about 20 of them in the case. I saw an old co-worker who is now manager in the electronics department and asked how long they’ve had that big of a stock of Xbox SEX’s.

He  said “We have about 4 times what’s out on the floor back in the back. We got all the stock back before thanksgiving and We’ve barely sold any while we can’t keep the Switch or PS5’s in stock”

Edited by iStu X

^that girl from Digable Planets was SO goddamn fine... that's basically all I remember about the music video... and the song was cool too.

I've been hooked on Ms. Pac-Man just like it's the '80s all over again.  I'm finally getting to the point of getting to the red maze on a fairly consistent basis now....I'd say that one is easier than the blue maze, so it's a relief getting to this point, at least to me.  I also played Galaxian today for a change, though it was never as good as Galaga...and it would be nice if they had Galaga '88 on here.  

aha, I figured people had posted Pacman Ghost AI and strategy info...and here we are

ha, this reminds me of Dad already....yeah he was one of those OCD Pacman fans way back in the day...he had strats actually memorized so he could play the game to perfection, basically.

found another one... 

Edited by MillionX
49 minutes ago, MillionX said:

^that girl from Digable Planets was SO goddamn fine... that's basically all I remember about the music video... and the song was cool too.

I've been hooked on Ms. Pac-Man just like it's the '80s all over again.  I'm finally getting to the point of getting to the red maze on a fairly consistent basis now....I'd say that one is easier than the blue maze, so it's a relief getting to this point, at least to me.  I also played Galaxian today for a change, though it was never as good as Galaga...and it would be nice if they had Galaga '88 on here.  

aha, I figured people had posted Pacman Ghost AI and strategy info...and here we are

ha, this reminds me of Dad already....yeah he was one of those OCD Pacman fans way back in the day...he had strats actually memorized so he could play the game to perfection, basically.

found another one... 

I love all the info and videos out there now explaining how and why things work the way they do in some of those old games. When I was learning speedrun strays for CV1 I learned so much about the inner workings of the game and it made love it that much more.

And that's cool about your old man playing it. Have you let him try out your cabinet yet?

nah he hasn't played it yet.  Back in the older arcade era, he even had a Pacman strategy booklet; yeah... the first time I ever saw a "strategy guide" publication for a videogame.  I remember there was his own notes scribbled in there too....at the time he loved the Pacman games above all other video games.  His other main game was Defender 1 and 2, and I think he was kinda lukewarm on Galaga.  Since this is an arcade machine just like the good ol' days, I'm sure he won't be able to resist a few rounds with Ms. Pacman and Galaga whenever he's here again.

I like Super Pacman too, but not quite as much as Ms. Pacman... and there was a Pacman Jr. I vaguely remember but it was rare for some reason....then of course there was Pac-Mania; the novelty of it being a 3d look and giving Pacman the ability to jump over the ghosts was cool at first, but I missed having that speed of good ol' Ms. Pacman again. (*also, unlike original, Ms. and Super you can't see the whole maze at once in Pac-Mania.)

VGM Fridays!  Magfest week celebration.  First post will consist  of groups/people who have performed at Magfest.  Some of these will be full set performances.

Spoiler

^ often times Stemage will play with these guys nowadays

^ These guys will actually be playing later today at about 11:15 ET.  Twitch stream is in the VGM thread if you are interested.  This set was pretty awesome live especially to see the 3 speedruns back to back.

Omega Sparxx (Person who did the vocals for TJ combo's theme from KI XBone) is also here as part of a group called Gamebreax.  Dunno if they're any good or not though.

Vids...lots of vids.  Gonna try to get the stuff that was missed while I'm waiting for Bit Brigade's concert.

Spoiler

Monster Games (Excite Truck Developer) bought buy iracing

Extra

videogamedunkey - videogameacting

Vids decided to stop embedding in this post for whatever reason so I'm just gonna put the rest in a separate post