Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I just beat Ni No Kuni 2 and I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to physically fight an ending until this day. I’m really tired so I’m not typing out everything but god damn it’s ending ruined the entire game for me outside of the absolutely legendary prologue. 

What an absolute piece of shit ending. 

Edited by iStu X
Just now, iStu X said:

I just beat Ni No Kuni 2 and I’ve never wanted to physically fight an ending until this day. I’m really tired so I’m not typing out everything but god damn it’s ending ruined the entire game for me outside of the absolutely legendary prologue. 

absolute piece of shit ending 

Yeah, i know a lot of people found it, lets just say bad, quite divisive if you ask me.

Part of the "awfulness" comes from the fact that you need to play the post end content from the DLC to get a better picture.

haha that reminded me of my disappointment with how Fable 2 ends.  I doubt anything will ever top that one for me.  It is the absolute worst final battle/ending sequence I have EVER seen in all my years of gaming....quite a shame since I enjoyed everything until that point....despite certain other flaws.  There has never been another game to give me that "The Last Jedi" reaction, where I was sitting in stunned disbelief...in a bad way.... about what just happened.

If it's true they're planning a new Fable, it's good that the same people responsible for part 2 most likely won't be involved anymore.

4 hours ago, MillionX said:

haha that reminded me of my disappointment with how Fable 2 ends.  I doubt anything will ever top that one for me.  It is the absolute worst final battle/ending sequence I have EVER seen in all my years of gaming....quite a shame since I enjoyed everything until that point....despite certain other flaws.  There has never been another game to give me that "The Last Jedi" reaction, where I was sitting in stunned disbelief...in a bad way.... about what just happened.

If it's true they're planning a new Fable, it's good that the same people responsible for part 2 most likely won't be involved anymore.

Its true.  It was announced last year haven't much of anything else though.

8 hours ago, iStu X said:

I just beat Ni No Kuni 2 and I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to physically fight an ending until this day. I’m really tired so I’m not typing out everything but god damn it’s ending ruined the entire game for me outside of the absolutely legendary prologue. 

What an absolute piece of shit ending. 

You mean worse than the original ending of Mass Effect 3?

5 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Now hold on a minute, that's not possible. Mass Effect 3 had multiple shitty endings. Kill yourself to become an AI Overload, Blow up the relays wiping out all life in the galaxy*, or violate every living being in the Galaxy by making them some sort of synthetic organic hybrids. 

*If your EMS is high enough you get to see Shepard's last gasp of breath 🙄

New Sony Patent Suggests PS5 Backward Compatibility Is On the Way

Now, a new patent, filed by PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny titled "Backward Compatibility Through Use Of Spoof Clock And Fine Grain Frequency Control," has set tongues wagging

The explanation of the technology in the patent certainly alludes to such a situation. The technology would allow "an application designed for the current version of a system" to run at its core clock frequency while allowing applications for different versions to run at their native clock speed. So, in this case, the PS5 could run its games at the correct speed, while the PS3, PS2, or PS1 games could run at their correct clock speed, negating issues between the massively powerful current-gen console and its older, slower predecessors.

An application designed for the current version of a system runs at a standard clock frequency of a current version of the system. Running the application at the standard clock frequency includes synchronizing operation of a processor of the current version of the system with the standard clock frequency. An application designed for a different version of the system characterized by a different standard clock frequency runs at a second clock frequency that is different than the standard clock frequency. Running the application at the second clock frequency includes synchronizing operation of the processor of the current version of the system with the second clock frequency.

The patent would introduce a secondary clock functionality (which some are terming as a "spoof clock" of sorts) that would allow the older games to run without disturbing the PS5 hardware.

4 hours ago, Lantis said:

While I played ME3 — once I was told what the ending was by friend who was enraged by it I stopped playing it. So while I know the ending(s), I’ve thankfully never experienced them first hand. 

Edited by iStu X
4 hours ago, BornWinner said:

What is with Tom Holland movies having incredibly awful posters?

Hollywood is more interested in jamming everyone face on the poster then making s good composition? 

It's called Uncharted why are half those people on the poster other then they are in the movie?

2 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I thought it already did BC shit.

It does with PS4 games but that's it since PS4 was also x86 Architecture like the 5. The PS1, 2 and 3 all use different set ups and can not be played on a 5. This new patent would apperantly make it so they could run those older system games without messing with the PS5s current set up. 

And yea would probably be through Emulators, and if they take the time to do it right like MS has been then it would be a massive boon. A number of emulators are better then the OG hardware these days. I basically put my PS1 discs in my PC and boot them with Duckstation or something instead of digging out the PS1, the cables, the Frame Meister to upscale. Duckstation does all that and more with less hassle. PS1 emulators don't even have the geometry wobble anymore.

So yea this could be a really good thing for legacy software users. Sony could also laze out and give us dog shit emulators or shit do nothing at all. Time will tell. 

Edited by RSG3

I'd eventually buy a PS5 if I could play ALL PlayStation console games on it.  That'd be dope to have. 

So I feel like a chump.  I let the hype get me.  I showed my lady a video and after I bought it.  I paid for a digital game that isn't even out yet.  🤦‍♀️

rNswkF2.png

Also since we're talkin' PlayStation emulating stuff - I crammed my ps3 into one of my HDDs. 

PDJtkq7.png

I have a few of those games on PC but I figured I'd just move them over from my PS3 so it had more room.  Works out.  Runs all those games great.  Well, Scott Pilgrim has issues when its starting.  All the animation shit is fucked up and shit but once you get past that into the game proper it looks fine.

Dead Cells--- such a good run just now... 3 cell difficulty... made it to the Hand of the King with only 1 use remaining in the healing potion and half health....BUT... my gear and build was so delicious--- with 27 points on Brutality:

• Rapier VIII-S, doing 22,866 regular dps.  52k critical.  One affix was +80% to poisoned enemies.
  • Flame thrower turret that also poisons enemies...so the synergy with the Rapier was good.
  • Powerful Grenade IX-S doing 29k damage...spreads inflammable oil on enemies...
  • ...which synergizes with Pyrotechnics IX-S--> 26,840 dps critical for enemies covered in the oil.

Of course I had what imo is the best brutality passive--- "Vengeance"--- giving me +86% damage for 8 seconds and -30% taken after being wounded.  That much of a boost for taking a hit is ridiculous.  I also had "scheme" I think it's called---"next melee attack after using a skill inflicts +7,571 damage."

I was thinking it was a wrap since I only had the one usage remaining on my healing potion....but I was doing so much damage it didn't matter....the boss never stood a chance against all that power.

I just recently changed my phone number, and forgot to disable the two-factor authentication system for Steam. Got locked out of my account, and customer service asks that you verify your account with a screenshot of a Paypal transaction, Steam code, CD Key, etc. I was running out of options because on the Paypal website my transactions only go back to 2019 and the last time I bought a game from Steam was in 2012 lol.

Luckily, I remember I had received and activated some Steam codes from Humble Bundle. Logged in to their page, and there was an activation key code shown from a purchase like from 2015.

Deactivate Steamguard before changing your phone number and keep the emails with your Steam codes just in case.

7 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Screenshot_20220113-161838.png

@DarkSakulOpinion on this unit? I found one at a pawn shop for 25 bucks. I've never seen one for less then $99 dollars. Could probably flip it even if it's not that great I suppose. 

Anyone else got an opinion on them?

iirc Retron consoles are just simple low-end emulator boxes that happen to have extra hardware to read the ROM files from original cartridges.

I wouldn't keep it.  Get it to flip it if you think you can sell it.

I had a RetroFreak console that was the same exact thing and was a bit easier on the eyes:

console-retro-freak-premium.jpg?format=p

Not bad,  but obviously way inferior to something like a MisTeR.

11 minutes ago, globe said:

More NFT news

Sega potentially joining the NFT scheme.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sega-has-registered-a-trademark-in-japan-for-sega-nft/

Shame that Troy fell down the rabbit hole.  Considering that this NFT business is still somehow persisting it I'm we're gonna see more and more fall victim to this until it collapses.

NFT's by itself is not a bad thing.

The problem is that as we know, companies jumping the bandwagon is only because NFTs at the current moment are an speculative market, so they see it as a easy way to make money by creating scarce digital goods.

There are a lot of positives for NFT's and other blockchain technologies in videogames, but most companies wouldn't use it in  way that will benefit others than themselves.

6 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

The most evident and that has a positive impact on PC gaming for example, is that it can work as a type of non intrusive DRM that wouldn't install unwanted shit on your PC/Laptop or that would tank the performance of the game like Denuvo.

Explain it to me like I am 10 years old, because i don't understand how NFT or Blockchain can help in that area whereas development without those technologies couldn't do it.

Like DRM is there because devs simply developed it that way.  They could easily go back to NOT doing it, like how they were before DRM and before NFT/Blockchain were a thing.

That is why I am not following.

27 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Comparing it to DRM makes me hate it even more and not because of garbage DRM like Denovo but because of the very nature of DRM.

That shits always abused. 

I think I might understand what he is saying but he did not give any details at all and is just using buzzwords.  If it works as the way I am thinking though, it still doesn't make much sense because that means you would only be allowed to have a finite amount of copies of a digital game out there, which would just be really really stupid.  Unless that finite number is like 10 billion, which for obvious reason, wouldn't make it limited.

9 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I think I might understand what he is saying but he did not give any details at all and is just using buzzwords.  If it works as the way I am thinking though, it still doesn't make much sense because that means you would only be allowed to have a finite amount of copies of a digital game out there, which would just be really really stupid.  Unless that finite number is like 10 billion, which for obvious reason, wouldn't make it limited.

Tell me how is using "buzzwords" giving you an actual example of how using the blockchain as a technology in videogames that could substitute something that its current iteration is a major grievance for most players on the pc side?

Also, regarding your previous post, DRM has been a thing since the 70's/80's.

Modern Vintage Gamer has a lot of videos showing the old ways that were used to fight piracy for example.

Having a technology that doesnt involve installing unwanted software or having ecryptation that tanks your performance would be a massive step forward.

Also, blockchain wouldn't limit the number of copies you have for a digital good..

The scarcity aspect that drives the current market of NFT's is something unrelated to the technology itself.