Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I've been playing Hades recently and pretty much taking my time with it but I'm enjoying the game.  I like how they implemented death as a part of the game and it feels like a means of forwarding the story so its like "Dammit I died...well I can talk to people now and upgrade some stuff at least".  I was getting bodied by Meg for a quite a few tries but finally got past her I think on my 6-7 attempt.  Which reminds me I also like how this game starts throwing more curveballs at you after you start getting a feel for the flow of the game.  I was surprised as hell when Meg wasn't there anymore and it they replaced her.  Was a whole "....wait ya'll can do that?" moment.

Sheeeitttt, it would be a wonderful thing actually if someone were to buy Konami....then some actual good things would start happening with those IPs.  Whoever the new owner is, you could guarantee that a remake or remaster of Symphony of the Night would be in the works immediately, along with whole new Castlevanias and new Contra games that are actually worth a damn.  Fans of these great IPs would no longer have to sit around lamenting the fact like "man...I sure wish someone else owned the Castlevania IP..."

...same goes for That Company that is associated with the blue hedgehog.  Yeah, I'm still a bit too bitter and petty to even give them the simple respect of typing the goddamn name.  Imagine...a new Phantasy Star----that is worth a damn....with a proper/respectable budget, development time, marketing, etc....

Sheet GIF

28 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Sheeeitttt, it would be a wonderful thing actually if someone were to buy Konami....then some actual good things would start happening with those IPs.  Whoever the new owner is, you could guarantee that a remake or remaster of Symphony of the Night would be in the works immediately, along with whole new Castlevanias and new Contra games that are actually worth a damn.  Fans of these great IPs would no longer have to sit around lamenting the fact like "man...I sure wish someone else owned the Castlevania IP..."

...same goes for That Company that is associated with the blue hedgehog.  Yeah, I'm still a bit too bitter and petty to even give them the simple respect of typing the goddamn name.  Imagine...a new Phantasy Star----that is worth a damn....with a proper/respectable budget, development time, marketing, etc....

I wouldn't mind a SOTN remake not constrained by the limitations of the PS1.

A new Bloody Roar would be cool.

10 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I was thinking about what's left of the big western companies earlier and then Geoff put up this twitter post

Bruh...I M$ decided to really swing their money dick and grab EA and Take Two off the market.  Like I don't want to put that into the universe but I never thought I'd be in a timeline where Activision would be fucking bought by any of the Big 3.

I'm going to call it now and say that in the next 5-10 years, ALL the major studios will be owned by 3-5 bug corporations just like how even the smaller major labels got swallowed up in the music biz. This is gonna start a chain reaction.

12 hours ago, RSG3 said:

That ones an actual achievement. Good work dude. 

Why oh why do you never tell me when you're playing Bloodborne tho? Lmao. 

Thanks man!

I usually am playing around what would be 2-3pm your time because I head home afterwards. My new studio/man cave is almost ready tho so once I figure out the internet issue I'll be able to play at more reasonable hours. I'd just been scavenger hunting Uncanny and Lost weapons since before Christmas anyway so I wasn't really even doing much outside of dungeon diving. But I'm planning on making a couple PvP builds so if you'd fancy some coop and a bit of dungeon diving, I'm all about it! I may have platted it but I'm hardly done with this game.

oh yeah that's another one--- if a new Bloody Roar was made with a proper budget and all that... I'd be on it day 1....that's a franchise that could be so much more too... I'd expand it into other genres as well.

From That Other Company---we also got Kid Chameleon, Toejam & Earl, and I think they owned "The Haunting" (Polterguy)... then there's of course Altered Beast and Golden Axe which has huge potential if a serious dev team got on the job... the possibilities would be insane.

oh yeah---if I recall there's a Golden Axe Arcade 1up... if I ever see it again that might be my next "A1up" thing.

On the Diablo 3 front--- Switch version... season... finally got my wizard to level 70.  This is a bit late to the game since I started with a Witch Doctor this season on Switch... but progress with the WD early on is just slow and not very fun (rewards would've been Jade set items which actually is a fun style of play, imo)... so I gave up on him and went back to my tried and true choice of Wizard...a character that's always super-easy to play and tends to be wayyyy OP, imo... especially with the changes to the Firebird set....once I get the last 1 or 2 pieces of Firebird, it's on and poppin' big time then.  This might be another season where I end up doing all the challenges; I'm already nearly finished on the XB1 version.

Edited by MillionX

-Konami: $6B

-Square Enix: $5.6B

-Capcom: $4.9B

-Sega: $3.6B

Im surprised that this nostalgia companies are the one bellow compare to the likes of EA, Nexon and etc.

It's like its just Bamco that remain profitable on nostalgia companies

58 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

'm going to call it now and say that in the next 5-10 years, ALL the major studios will be owned by 3-5 bug corporations just like how even the smaller major labels got swallowed up in the music biz. This is gonna start a chain reaction.

I never imagined this will happen before but it looks like it now, monopoly in gaming is dangerous.

Tencent already is messed up.

Edited by Shakunetsu
7 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Im surprised that this nostalgia companies are the one bellow compare to the likes of EA, Nexon and etc.

It's like its just Bamco that remain profitable on nostalgia companies

Huh? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. 

1 hour ago, Shakunetsu said:

I never imagined this will happen before but it looks like it now, monopoly in gaming is dangerous.

Tencent already is messed up.

The best way to compete is to buy up your competition; there aren'tany companies who have pockets deep enough to be able to do that though. It's wild to imagine EA or ActiBlizz being bought up, but then again, it was wild to me that Columbia, Geffen, and Epic records got bought when they were some of the biggest and most profitable labels in history up until that point.

30 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

I'm just surprised companies like square are among the cheapest despite having lots of 90s hits

If you consider what those companies have released and the decisions that they've made up to this point then it seems about right to be honest.  Take Two is making bank of of GTA V for the past 3 console generations with RDR2 coming up behind it just for good measure for the past 2.  Take Two hasn't been a powerhouse for as long as EA since they started realling making a name for themselves during the SNES/Genesis era.  EA's quality and practices can definite be questionable but the fact remains that they've been a tour de force in the sports area where they've only really foundered when it came to baseball and basketball.   Add to the fact that pretty much like CoD...it seems that no matter how much people shit on a game Madden game for that year the shit still sells and that's probably more so probably because it's the only football game on the market and has been for over decade.  Bandai Namco were separate entities then merged and have been pretty much putting out on average consistent solid games.  That's on top of them being pretty much the only one being able to make the majority of anime licensed properties which include the DB license which has been making bank for them since PS2.  Add that in with Tekken which has just grown into what it is now with 7 with only 4 being the only arguable flub in the franchise and that number doesn't seem far fetched.  Sega....I mean I really don't think I really need to explain why Sega is where it is with all the dumb decisions they've made.  The strongest selling franchise they have is inconsistent in quality so the potential for growth just seems to stagnate and Yakuza only just recently started becoming popular in the west.  Konami used to be a solid company until they purged all of their talent (it's been nearly 7 years since Kojima left).  I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason they're 6B right now is because of Pachinko.  Squeenix has been more or less consistently solid with FFXIV ugly duckling now turning into a beautiful golden goose to the point that it's overtaken WoW but this has still only been relatively recent.  Otherwise Squeenix doesn't have a franchise with the amount of money coming in like a CoD or a Madden.  Capcom is almost like Sega in terms of dumb decisions that put them where they are.  It's only been recent in the past few years that they've just started to right the ship.  So yeah those numbers don't surprise me at all.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

The best way to compete is to buy up your competition; there aren'tany companies who have pockets deep enough to be able to do that though. It's wild to imagine EA or ActiBlizz being bought up, but then again, it was wild to me that Columbia, Geffen, and Epic records got bought when they were some of the biggest and most profitable labels in history up until that point.

Yup seen this happening in social media but never expect it so soon with large gaming companies, I just hope Japanese Gaming industry like Capcom doesn't get suck in by EA that had terrible microtransactions. 

19 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Yup seen this happening in social media but never expect it so soon with large gaming companies, I just hope Japanese Gaming industry like Capcom doesn't get suck in by EA that had terrible microtransactions. 

The game industry is exactly the same as the music industry but 10-15 years behind. All the stuff that's happening in the game industry already happened in music which is another reason why I'm certain game streaming is going to be a thing.

Below is a cross-section of the reaction on popular Japanese gaming blogs like My Game News Flash as well as on the country’s biggest internet bulletin boards, 2ch and 5ch.

Spoiler

“Woah, really?”

“This surprised me.”

“There are a bunch of games I’m not interested in, so this is good.” 😆

“What the hell is Sony doing?”

“Well, that’s it for Diablo.”

“Microsoft! Give us back Diablo!!”

“An industry destroyer.”

“These are wild times.”

“Sony is finished.”

“This is a huge deal.”

It demolishes the PS5's stronghold.
This is only the beginning of the end.
Get ready, Japan.”

“[Activision Blizzard] fell from grace due to the harassment situation, and Microsoft just bought them.”

“With this, the Box wins!!”

“So, Blizzard games are coming to Game Pass!”

“Well, this is fine.”

“The power of Microsoft’s money is awful.”

“They bought sexual harassment.”

“If PlayStation don’t get Call of Duty, it’s finished.”

“Thank you, Bill Gates.”

“Don’t you feel like Microsoft’s gaming branch has truly arrived? (They’re about twenty years late, though.)“

“They really want to monopolize the game industry.”

“Microsoft loves buying hallowed-out companies.”

“Bye bye Trash Station.”

“This is completely wiping out the Japanese game industry.”

“Fix the bugs in Halo.”

“Microsoft is gonna buy Sony Interactive Entertainment. Heck, they might even buy Sony proper.”

“It would’ve been better to buy Square Enix.”

“How much money do they have?”

“To be honest, it’s not worth $70 billion.”

“The PlayStation will lose to the Xbox?”

“Next up is EA? The power of their [Microsoft’s] money is amazing.”

“This is the death of the PlayStation.”

“Farewell Call of Duty.”

“And with this, the PlayStation has lost.”

“I guess this means Call of Duty fans will abandon the PlayStation?”

“It’s just a shell of itself as the talented game creators left due to the sexual harassment issue.”

“Blizzard just releases shitty games now. Their character design is stinks of the 1980s and looks creepy.”

“Saying that the Call of Duty is an Xbox exclusive is a powerful phrase.”

“Nice one Microsoft! I thought Blizzard was ruined, but this should result in some sort of games. Ah, this is good.”

“This leaves a better impression than Tencent [acquiring Activision Blizzard].”

“The PlayStation is finished? Well, the PC is fine, then.”

“If you buy Nintendo next, release Zelda on a next-gen console.”

“Who are they going to buy next?
Keep making Game Pass better!”

“Microsoft is collecting all the third-party studios.”

“The sexual harassment CEO is staying on? Microsoft, c’mon, do things properly.”

“Sony is done. I’m guessing the Xbox’s share will grow.”

“Is this the death of Call of Duty?”

“If you’re talking about Japan, then it’s the Switch.
If you are talking about the West, then it’s the Xbox.
If you are talking about trash, then it’s the Trash Station.”

“Don’t you have to be a moron to buy Blizzard now? lol”

“It would’ve been good to buy Square Enix and Capcom.”

“People said the same thing with Bethesda, but did something change?”

“This has no impact on Nintendo.”

“Sony is done. Their stock also dropped a lot.”

“Where did competition, the fundamental principle of capitalism, go?
Don’t monopolies make things worse?”

“The fate of those under the Microsoft umbrella is not good.”

“I feel like games have peaked.
The hardware battle has cooled.”

“For me, who doesn’t play first-person shooters, I do not care at all.”

“Is anyone with any talent left at Blizzard?”

“Next up, it seems they’d target From [Software].”

“This cuts the PS5's lifespan short.”

Diablo fans are most happy about this.”

“Those who are saying Sony is done ha ha”

“If things are going this way, then buy Kojima Productions and the rights to Metal Gear.”

“The power of Microsoft’s money sure is something.”

“It’s it okay to spend that much money on this?”

“Are you saying this is a huge victory for Xbox?!”

“PlayStation 5: ‘It’s...okay...because...we have... Gran Turismo...’”

“Please buy Konami...”

“Sony is finished hahahahahaha Nintendo has won hahahaha”

“This has no impact on Japan.”

Edited by AriesWarlock

The game industry is exactly the same as the music industry but 10-15 years behind. All the stuff that's happening in the game industry already happened in music which is another reason why I'm certain game streaming is going to be a thing.

yeah, speaking of Xbox looks like cloud gaming would be the future if they dominate or became industry standard.

PC is going to be the only place you'll be able to play games that you "own" eventually.  Everything else will be cloud/streaming shit...console gamer future.

I mean, every game I have is digital.  I have no physical disc/cart games.  But I own that digital shit.  No one can take it from me and I can give/share that shit with anyone I want.   Owning digital always comes to that argument that you don't actually own it. 

42 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

yeah, speaking of Xbox looks like cloud gaming would be the future if they dominate or became industry standard.

It's a natural progression especially once fiber is more prevalent. People said no one would buy digital games, but here we are. I'm betting that just like nobody but boomers and audiophiles own stereos to play music on, kids in 10-20 years won't give a shit about owning a console as long as they can just stream games to their phone, laptop, or wifi-capable neural implant.

35 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Well, if you buy digital, and a company decides to delist the game or use some weird DRM where u can't play it any more, you're fucked 

I only buy digital when physical isn't an option or its a really good deal. 

Well, thats when it comes to...are you willing to crack the game that you own to play it?  Well, I'll tell you this, I am.  So almost every game I have is cracked and backed up on several drives. 

P.S.  One of the two discords I look at is mostly younger folk.  They make fun of me for downloading music and movies instead of streaming.  "lol boomer" is what I get a lot.  hmhmhm

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

People said no one would buy digital games, but here we are. I'm betting that just like nobody but boomers and audiophiles own stereos to play music on, kids in 10-20 years won't give a shit about owning a console as long as they can just stream games to their phone, laptop, or wifi-capable neural implant.

Yeah it has been an alternative because of being cheaper alternative and not everyone is set to complete games that they buy.

its the zeitgeist of the technology of this era but if physical ownership would became absent or rarer then corporation take advantage of it that would flip again to the other side of people wanting ownership. 

1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Well, thats when it comes to...are you willing to crack the game that you own to play it?  Well, I'll tell you this, I am.  So almost every game I have is cracked and backed up on several drives. 

P.S.  One of the two discords I look at is mostly younger folk.  They make fun of me for downloading music and movies instead of streaming.  "lol boomer" is what I get a lot.  hmhmhm

That is because they are poor children and don't realize how shit streaming quality is when you have high end equipment.

Streaming movies on HBO Max and Netflix sucks because the sound is complete ass.  

I couldn't wait to watch Mortal Kombat or The Matrix months after they came out on bluray so I had to stream em on HBO Max and the sound was garbage.  When MK came out on bluray I bought it and it was a completely different experience.  The sound in the movie is incredible.  Whether or not the movie is good is another story though lol.  But regardless of that, I still pop it in to watch the opening and closing fights every now and then.

17 minutes ago, purbeast said:

That is because they are poor children and don't realize how shit streaming quality is when you have high end equipment.

Streaming movies on HBO Max and Netflix sucks because the sound is complete ass.  

I couldn't wait to watch Mortal Kombat or The Matrix months after they came out on bluray so I had to stream em on HBO Max and the sound was garbage.  When MK came out on bluray I bought it and it was a completely different experience.  The sound in the movie is incredible.  Whether or not the movie is good is another story though lol.  But regardless of that, I still pop it in to watch the opening and closing fights every now and then.

I don't think most people notice or care; convenience always seems to win over quality.

Its true.  For the most part people dont give a shit about audio so much as everything else.  Shit, look how popular ear buds are.  Those things, no matter how expensive they are, fuckin' suck.  Yet a shit load of people use them to listen to music. 

I care about audio.  But not the the lengths of buying discs.  I only have a 5.1 set up so not like its much different from 15 years ago for me.  Most of the time I play my games on a 2.1 setup or use some headphones (over the ear) with that virtual surround shit.

Audio is the last thing (most) people really think about when it comes to games and movies. 

18 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Those things, no matter how expensive they are, fuckin' suck.  Yet a shit load of people use them to listen to music. 

Hell look at BEATS by Dr Dre. They are worst than the Ear Buds. 

Audio is the last thing (most) people really think about when it comes to games and movies. 

That not true at all. Even bad movies get to be remembered if they have a well composed sound track. 
First thing people comment about the Mega Man series on the NES is the music, as dated as it is, its far better than many game music now. 

Edited by DarkSakul

I don't think most people notice or care; convenience always seems to win over quality.

Oh I know I was kind of being facetious and snobbish lol.

To me, on my setup, sound is way more important than the video when it comes to movies.

Games I'd say it is about the same.  Like a game can have fantastic sound but if the game is choppy or something, then it just hurts the total experience.  Fortunately I don't think I've ever played a game with fantastic sound and awful visuals.

Edited by purbeast