Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

12 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

A sealed copy of Super Mario Bros sold for $2 million.

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/super-mario-bros-sealed-copy-sets-new-record-after-2-million-bid/

I have a used copy of this game collecting dust in my drawer. Maybe I can get a few hundred for it.

I was watching last weeks Spawncast.  They seem to think Wata is artificially inflating the prices. Companies keep selling each these games for exorbitant prices.  Have any of this super high price sales been to an individual. I keep seeing companies buy and sell these things. 🤔

Edited by Darc_Requiem
4 hours ago, Abbachio said:

I fucking knew it

Eh, that video is a bit misleading.  He doesn't even give any proof of anything at all and is just making these big assumptions.  Dude is basically just theory talking.

And then he gives an example of using the same technique on a PS3 game, 2 generations ago, that probably utilizes a fraction of resources that R&C uses.  

Just think about comparing God of War on PS2 to God of War on PS4.  They aren't even really comparable as far as resources go and what is being swapped around in memory.

I'm also not saying he is wrong or anything, it very may be well on a non-SSD hard drive.  But there is zero proof of it in his video and nothing more than him theoryizing.

Edited by purbeast
16 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I am trying to picture the voice.  I am having trouble with it right now.  It's weirding me out actually cause Knux is talking with a gruff English accent lol.

I think Idris can imitate an American accent pretty well, I think he did in an older movie unless I'm remembering wrong. He may go with that instead of his natural way of speaking 

Honestly, most English actors can nail our accents well, although the opposite usually fails lol

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Knuckles is an amapomorphic character from another world. There no reason for Idris to not use his natural accent.

Didn't say he couldn't or shouldn't, ijs it's an option. I'm fine with either 🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by HD-Man
29 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I am trying to picture the voice.  I am having trouble with it right now.  It's weirding me out actually cause Knux is talking with a gruff English accent lol.

He can do a pretty convincing American voice when it calls for it. He did so in 28 Weeks Later, American Gangster, and The Wire. My family didn’t even know he was British until Takers came out.

I know it's not a new game, but any of you play Shantae and the Seven Sirens?  If so, is it as good as Half Genie?  That is the only one I played and I enjoyed it a lot, and I'm thinking of grabbing the Seven Sirens to play on my flights tomorrow and on the way home.  But curious as to what you all think if you've played both.

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

Eh, that video is a bit misleading.  He doesn't even give any proof of anything at all and is just making these big assumptions.  Dude is basically just theory talking.

And then he gives an example of using the same technique on a PS3 game, 2 generations ago, that probably utilizes a fraction of resources that R&C uses.  

Just think about comparing God of War on PS2 to God of War on PS4.  They aren't even really comparable as far as resources go and what is being swapped around in memory.

I'm also not saying he is wrong or anything, it very may be well on a non-SSD hard drive.  But there is zero proof of it in his video and nothing more than him theoryizing.

From what I can tell, I'm not super technically inclined. His title is disingenuous. It implies that R&C: RA could run as constructed but that's not what he says. He basically said you can use coding tricks for similar effect. I mean that applies to many of great ports done back in the day. They used tricks to replicate things that couldn't be done in the hardware. Those tricks worked well but not as well as the original implementation and they took additional work on top of that. 

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I know it's not a new game, but any of you play Shantae and the Seven Sirens?  If so, is it as good as Half Genie?  That is the only one I played and I enjoyed it a lot, and I'm thinking of grabbing the Seven Sirens to play on my flights tomorrow and on the way home.  But curious as to what you all think if you've played both.

I loved Shantae and the Seven Sirens.

Is different, more metroidvania than Half Genie, with the world being a huge maze that you are unlocking as your progress and get new abilities.

It still carries a lot of what made Half Genie good, although, the abilities on this game are different, since they are tied to the npc's you interact on the game.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

I’m not sure what’s more funny: Hard Drive getting this out so soon or this many people thinking they’re legit.

That is a shame, if he was Knuckles that would mean another major geek franchise or culture stone in my man's bag. Already had Marvel, DC, kind of Kaiju with Pacific Rim, Star Trek, Steven King adaptations and this would be his break in for video game adaptations.

17 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

I know, Still he did Cats. 
Thats some red in his ledger 

With Les Misérables and Hamilton being smash hits, I don’t blame him or any of the actors starring in a musical. I don’t care for the first two, but it’s clear that a lot of people love them.

Fuck Cats though. Oh my god. I went expecting something to laugh at. I never felt more hollow than I did after watching it in theaters.

So the wifi on my son's Switch isn't working.  The Wifi logo is just the upside down triangle that is empty.

It isn't even recognizing networks when searching.  I cleared my phone hotspot from the list of registered points and when the Switch is right next to it, it's not even seeing it to connect.

I tried restarting and turning it off per the instructions but nothing.  He did not drop it or anything either.

I am going on vacation tomorrow without him and I feel bad because he may not be able to even play anything online while I'm gone.

Anyone have any clue?  Googling just brings up people having wifi connection issues, not the actual wireless adapter like not working.

Edited by purbeast
23 minutes ago, purbeast said:

So the wifi on my son's Switch isn't working.  The Wifi logo is just the upside down triangle that is empty.

It isn't even recognizing networks when searching.  I cleared my phone hotspot from the list of registered points and when the Switch is right next to it, it's not even seeing it to connect.

I tried restarting and turning it off per the instructions but nothing.  He did not drop it or anything either.

I am going on vacation tomorrow without him and I feel bad because he may not be able to even play anything online while I'm gone.

Anyone have any clue?  Googling just brings up people having wifi connection issues, not the actual wireless adapter like not working.

Haven't heard of the issue to be honest.  Sorry.

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I loved Shantae and the Seven Sirens.

Is different, more metroidvania than Half Genie, with the world being a huge maze that you are unlocking as your progress and get new abilities.

It still carries a lot of what made Half Genie good, although, the abilities on this game are different, since they are tied to the npc's you interact on the game.

I just purchased it and will give it a lot of play tomorrow.  Will be going between that and Celeste most likely.  

I like Metroidvania games so that is a positive for me.  

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Haven't heard of the issue to be honest.  Sorry.

Yeah the only stuff I found out about it, their last ditch effort was to do a factory reset.  However you lose all saved data and stuff so I didn't go that route.

But then I went down a rabbit hole a bit more and found the maintenance menu and I got into it and it gave me an option to reset to factory but not delete saved data and user information.

Since I'm leaving tomorrow though I didn't want to do that in case something fucks up so instead I opted to get a USB LAN adapter from Amazon and it arrives tomorrow. I hope he can figure it all out once he gets it because I tried to show him how to connect it to the dock, but, he's 6 lol.   He won't be able to play online in handheld mode but that's okay since it'll just be short term.  All he really plays online is Splatoon 2 anyways.

Side note - it's completely fucked up that there is no way for me to turn parental controls off without his Switch being on the internet.  I can't disable em from inside the Switch because you need to basically desync it from the app on my phone, but not possible if it's not online.

So apparently this drive works for the PS5. It's just above the line of the recommended speeds of 5500MB/s at 5600MB/s. Going for $157 on Amazon. You'd have to buy your own heatsink though. Should be able to get a solid one for $10 to $15.

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-CS3040-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B08KGXVXGM

This one clears the minimum by a good margin 7000MB/s. You'd also need to get your own heatsink but it's going for $180.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Internal-Extreme-Performance-SB-RKT4P-1TB/dp/B08P2B6JKV/ref=pd_lpo_4?pd_rd_i=B08P2B6JKV&psc=1

I finished the Story of SOR 4 a few days ago.

Pros:

Graphics and music.

Gameplay. -THIS is how you revive a classic beat em up. Add some new elements but not change it wholesale

Hidden content. I just found out about the retro bosses. I have a lot of work to get the unlocked past versions of characters.

I'm glad they brought back Adam as a playable character after 30 years.

Cons

I may be in the minority but I wish you got points even if an enemy hits you at the end  of a long combo. I understand reducing points after using an Assist, but the probability of getting hit probably increases as a combo continues, so punishing for that seems a bit unfair.

I wish some star super moves had a wider impact area.

Overall: 8.5/10

Edited by DangerousJ