Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Final Fantasy XVI has a whole trailer ready and they're holding it back because.....?????

https://www.ign.com/articles/final-fantasy-16-trailer

Only guess I on this is Squeenix is waiting for when the right time would be to drop this since E3 is a no go.  The obvious answer would be why not just give it to Keighley for Summer Games Fest?  That is of course unless you're waiting for Sony to get a SoP ready.

Genshin Impact is still being developed for Switch

https://www.ign.com/articles/genshin-impact-switch-still-in-development

uh huh....BotW 2 is going to come out by the time this game gets released and nobody will be paying any attention at all to the game on that platform by then.

DoA7 apparently was in development and then got cancelled,  there was a tweet that got put on private by a dev over at Team Ninja

Oh yeah, for the next one, all I really want is a more powerful "Switch 2" or "Super Switch" whatever they call it.... that's all they have to do and it's likely guaranteed to have multi-million sales yet again.

On a small note though--- A better selection of colors and designs would be nice too.  It's very strange that they never bothered to do official NES or SNES-themed designs for Switch.

Blood Hunt---I wonder how many  people have recreated "The Lost Boys" character in that game at this point... along with Jerry Dandridge, Alucard from Hellsing, Niklaus and his siblings, Blade, Severen from Near Dark, Eichorst from The Strain, etc.... all the   memorable/legendary vampires from other stories.  Heh, yeah I should take a shot at it...I don't think the character creator is quite as deep as I'd prefer though.  If I recall you're mainly just changing hairstyles and their outfits/accessories.

Edited by MillionX

I just played some USF4 for the first time in like 5+ years.  Played on PC with my buddy and had my code from participating in Evo 2011 lol.   I did have to pay $4 to upgrade from SSF4 to USF4 though, since the code was for SSF4 on GFWL but when that went away it transitioned to steam.

Man I got the itch back and while my execution wasn't like back in the day, I got that itch back.

I hope SF6 pulls me in cause SF5 did for a bit but I got bored quick and part of that was because online was just crap.

Edited by purbeast
40 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I just played some USF4 for the first time in like 5+ years.  Played on PC with my buddy and had my code from participating in Evo 2011 lol.   I did have to pay $4 to upgrade from SSF4 to USF4 though, since the code was for SSF4 on GFWL but when that went away it transitioned to steam.

Man I got the itch back and while my execution wasn't like back in the day, I got that itch back.

I hope SF6 pulls me in cause SF5 did for a bit but I got bored quick and part of that was because online was just crap.

The most important thing I want for SF6 is for the skill ceiling in terms of player expression to be on par with Ultra IV.  2nd would be to actually have hit boxes match up with attacks better cause it was really annoying in V for some time trying to play footsies and your foot is in your opponents kneecap and it didn't count as a hit.

4 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

The most important thing I want for SF6 is for the skill ceiling in terms of player expression to be on par with Ultra IV.  2nd would be to actually have hit boxes match up with attacks better cause it was really annoying in V for some time trying to play footsies and your foot is in your opponents kneecap and it didn't count as a hit.

I think whatever they do I will play it for a while and like it, but I just hope online doesn't suck ass.

Give us some standard rollback netcode and give us the matchmaking/lobbies from SF4.  It was so much faster to get into games in SF4 than SF5 and green connections in SF4 actually meant it was a good connection unlike SF5.

Just now, purbeast said:

I think whatever they do I will play it for a while and like it, but I just hope online doesn't suck ass.

Give us some standard rollback netcode and give us the matchmaking/lobbies from SF4.  It was so much faster to get into games in SF4 than SF5 and green connections in SF4 actually meant it was a good connection unlike SF5.

Any FG company making a new game nowadays and not putting in rollback is probably going to be put on notice by the community at this point.   It'd be really dumb of them to not do so after going through the worst of the pandemic and having everyone who's connection was less than optimal get put on blast.  I know it's Capcom and they're prone to making boneheaded decisions at time but I'm going to give them atleast a benefit and expect the game to come with it at the minimum.

15 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Any FG company making a new game nowadays and not putting in rollback is probably going to be put on notice by the community at this point.   It'd be really dumb of them to not do so after going through the worst of the pandemic and having everyone who's connection was less than optimal get put on blast.  I know it's Capcom and they're prone to making boneheaded decisions at time but I'm going to give them atleast a benefit and expect the game to come with it at the minimum.

Yeah I mean we're talking about Capcom here.  The company that paid 1 dude to implement some stupid version of rollback instead of using an established method like GGPO that had been around for a decade+ at the time.

Hell even low budget Killer Instinct came up with their own rollback netcode that I'd argue is the best fighting game netcode to date.

So yeah... it's the whole Capcom thing that worries me.  Especially how backwards the whole matchmaking/online aspect of SF5 was after SF4.

More Blood Hunt craziness highlights here... 

I played a bit more of Godfall earlier today; currently I'm running with dual swords and a great sword.  The damage output is pretty ridiculous already.  I also put quite a few points into shield-related shenanigans... shield throw can do big damage, and the timing to parry things is quite generous in that game.

Edited by MillionX

Huh....never know there was this sort of campaign to boycott KOF XV just because the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia acquired the majority of SNK's stock (96% to be more precise, I believe someone dropped the news in this thread awhile ago).

People need to stick to the actual games instead of dropping hot takes LOL

it's that time... BloodThirstyLord is live once again

I'm really curious what else they will add to this game in the near future... hopefully more clans, since there is a lot to pick from in the lore.  Some want werewolves in but I'm not sure they realize just how crazy the power difference is, unfortunately.  Just 1 werewolf would be like a boss fight for the average vamps in this world....then again that could make for interesting PvE content, or asymmetrical multiplayer with 1 person being the wolf while a group of vamps try to take it down.

I been stuck on Rogue Legacy 2 for the last 2 or 3 days.  Game is just real fun.  Got a pretty cool item that mixed with Barbarian real good and it made it kinda funny.

If you like rogue style games then you should pick this game up. 

Cool gif of Valorous - spacer.png

Edit - Anyone gonna be playing Salt and Sacrifice in a couple days?  Game looks dope.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

Got an itch to play Contra 4 again after playing some shmups. What a great game- I really wish Konami would do another Contra collection with Shattered Soldier, Neo Contra (never played that one), Contra 4, Rebirth, and Uprising. Would be great to play 4 without the deadzone between screens on a tate'd monitor. The addition of challenge mode to get bite sized fixes (and excellent practice for bosses and tough areas) was genius. Really, other than the deadzone, the only complaints I have are a) the basic weapon being utterly shit, which really screws you if you lose your good weapon(s), and b) I'd have preferred infinite continues without mid level continue checkpoints. Let the persistent beat their heads against the challenge without having to runback the entire game. 

So I finished Yakuza 6 and man, I liked the game overall but I don't like it what it did to make it's work happen. It had to ignore a lot to make to make developments feasible and at it's worst it made Haruka look like a dumbass. I wish it they would have kept it a personal story and not tie a massive conspiracy behind it. I didn't like the ending at all. 

I can put my focus solely on Elden Ring for now and start Judgment sometime later. 

extra

Side unrelated thing:  SF X TK's first cinematic trailer popped up in my youtube feed popped up a few days ago and I rewatched it and relived all the hype and feelings I had when the game was first being announced and shown off and how much of a crazy crossover this was back in the day.  And then I started lamenting and getting mad all over again at how Capcom shit the bed so hard on something that should have been a slam dunk over some of the most dumb decisions ever made.   This game did not deserve the shitshow that it got and it really is a shame that it never really got the chance to be as big as it could have been because of those decisions and by the time Capcom fixed the issues that shouldn't have been a problem the moment had passed.  It's just one of those things that I know Capcom looks at and takes all the bad lessons from it like "oh nobody really wanted to play this so it was a bad idea" instead of "We fucked up with shit decisions in making this game and that ruined and tainted this games breakout potential".  I just think that there's another timeline out there where Capcom didn't shit the bed on this game and we at least got another sequel and it actually made Harada at least attempt to do TK vs SF a little harder.  I don't have anywhere I'm going with this I'm just wanted to lament an amazing missed opportunity that could have been easily prevented.  That game is 10 years old this year too (released 03/06/2012). /end lamentation

32 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Side unrelated thing:  SF X TK's first cinematic trailer popped up in my youtube feed popped up a few days ago and I rewatched it and relived all the hype and feelings I had when the game was first being announced and shown off and how much of a crazy crossover this was back in the day.  And then I started lamenting and getting mad all over again at how Capcom shit the bed so hard on something that should have been a slam dunk over some of the most dumb decisions ever made.   This game did not deserve the shitshow that it got and it really is a shame that it never really got the chance to be as big as it could have been because of those decisions and by the time Capcom fixed the issues that shouldn't have been a problem the moment had passed.  It's just one of those things that I know Capcom looks at and takes all the bad lessons from it like "oh nobody really wanted to play this so it was a bad idea" instead of "We fucked up with shit decisions in making this game and that ruined and tainted this games breakout potential".  I just think that there's another timeline out there where Capcom didn't shit the bed on this game and we at least got another sequel and it actually made Harada at least attempt to do TK vs SF a little harder.  I don't have anywhere I'm going with this I'm just wanted to lament an amazing missed opportunity that could have been easily prevented.  That game is 10 years old this year too (released 03/06/2012). /end lamentation

I remember having mixed feelings about the announcement.

On one hand, the game looked ugly as fuck, since it took the already aging graphics of SF4 at the time and made them look worse, but on the other, I felt that the game had a lot of potential.

Specially when they announced the gem systems.

I know that a lot of people thought that it was going to be bad (and it was, but for other reasons), but for me, it was something that I was interested in seeing where they will go, since they were revealing a really ambitions version of what we got, something more akin to the items on Chaos Breaker/Dark Awake

https://wiki.supercombo.gg/w/Chaos_Breaker_(Dark_Awake)

Where you could complement your characters and even add extra moves/change moves based on the items you got.

Then, they started to back pedal on many design choices because people bitched about it, made a lot of dumb decisions with the DLC, gems, mechanics, etc, released a broken game and overall, a game witha a gameplay that was an ever worse version of SF4 in some regards, like having chains, but not allowing you to special cancel from chained normals,only linked normals, and shit like that.

It killed any interest that I had about the game, plus it also killed TxSF, lol.

17 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

10 years of Capcom fucking up fighting games 

They're on track to become the new Konami.

They have been killing it in everything except fgs, so I wouldn't go as far as say that they are becoming a new Konami.

But I will surely say that they killed my interest on their fgs for good.

I seriously think that SFV is the last fg i will ever buy from them.

Perhaps the only exceptions would be a new DS or a new RS, but knowing them and seeing their track record, I feel those would suck anyways.

23 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

10 years of Capcom fucking up fighting games 

They're on track to become the new Konami.

I don't think they'll go that far cause they've been on a hot streak right now.   If Capcom ever decided to pull a full Konami I'd be extremely disappointed.  Resident Evil, Street Fighter and Monster Hunter Pachinko all day every day and while they're at it they just kick Itsuno 4/5 of the way through DMC 6 boot Tsujimoto out while Monster Hunter World 2 is halfway done.    Hope it never gets that bad.