Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Idk, I feel like SF4 (and all its updates), Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Mvc3 (and it's updates) were all fire. Capcom is inconsistent if anything, fighting game. SfxT, SF5 Vanilla, and MVCI make it so they're basically 3-3.

If they can somehow make SF6 a hit, I'm assuming they learned from SF5 (but probably not), they can restore good will but SF6 HAS to be great. The fact they keep revising it for quality issues gives a bit of faith they're atleast trying to make it good 

We shall see (we need Tatsunoko vs Capcom 2 in the meantime tho) 

The thing is that each game they have made has fucked up in some way or another and also doing worse in terms of sales and reception with the player base, both casuals and the fgc.

SF4 was even with a lot of its bad things a good game, with Super being, at least for me, the highest spot of the sf4 series.

After that it went downhill, each game nerfing and patching the living shit of the fun out of the game.

TVC was a small game with enough potential that got the raw deal of being a wii exclusive + having really busted mechanics that made the game devolve into dumb shit.

MVC3 and UMVC3 both suffered from having vanilla being released and just get Ultimate announced 3 months after its release and getting released 5 months after that.

I loved playing the game, but man, the game is trash at high level play.

Fun trash, but trash nonetheless, with all the poor implementation of the mechanics that they borrowed, and the backpedalling of the mechanics and vision they had originally for the game.

Then, it also  had its life cycle fucked due how Disney/Marvel were doing the licensing at the time, forcing capcom to release 2 iterations of the game within 8 months of each other, killing any momentum it could had.

SFxT was a disaster.

SFV released in a poor state, although, to give capcom some slack, they announced that they were releasing it that way so it could be out for the new CPT season, the problem is that most of the public didn't caught wind of it, because most of the announcements were made on fgc events.

MVCI was a fucking joke, combining the worst thing of all the previous games in how it was handled.

I know some peeps like to meme that the gameplay is good, but nah son, that game is utter garbage, and the bad kind, not like MVC3, HnK, SBX that can be fun despite or perhaps because all the busted shit that manages to work.

MVCI has none of that.

The only thing it had going for it was the iteration of the SFV netcode, which capcom never made the effort to port back...

SFxT v.2013 is the best fighter has put out since since since the early 2000’s. 

I’ll die on that hill. 

was the game initially a dumpster fire? Hell yeah. Capcoms dumb tournament mandates for the game didn’t help either. Neither did the dlc on disk Shit. But once all the character came out and the game got it’s last few patches the game became an absolute banger. 

Very debatable.
The game has a lot of dumb decisions in how the mechanics and over all design of how the game works that are always at odds with each other.

The game has some good ideas that are either hindered by

1) Baffling design decisions

2) Halfassed implementations

It certainly got better, but is far from being the best fighter since the early 2000's .

Edited by Hecatom
Just now, iStu X said:

Honorable mention is vanilla IV because it actually felt like a street fighter game. To me Every revision that came after made it feel less and less like one 

I would say that Super was a good spot for the series too.

After that, I agree with you that each revision got worse, perhaps not that in that it felt less like an SF game, but that it was less fun to play.

By the point hat Ultra came out I already moved on from the series, only watching mayors because at least for me, it was fun to watch but not to play (which I think I would say the same for SFxT 2013, fun to watch but not to play).

I played hundreds of matches of Vanilla and Super at each gathering, but as soon as AE came out, the enjoyment was no longer there.

29 minutes ago, J-ride said:

I think Capcom as a whole just nerfs fun and shenanigans out of games to the point that they become lame.  SFA3 Upper is a great example of how this typically plays out.  The result is a boring game that no one wants to play.

Well we as a community spend a lot of time crying for nerfs instead of buffs. We look at fun Goofy shit and go "That's dumb. Remove that." 

Do it enough times and yea your games gonna become boring as shit. 

Nintendo financials also got released with updates on sales of its first party games which I'll post about in a second post.  Just wanted to throw this out there that Dread is now officially the best selling Metroid in the series but it still hasn't quite cracked 3 mill yet but it's EXTREMELY close.  RGT gets to not have to suffer through Balan Wonderworld for at least a little bit longer but I feel it will be inevitable.

Oh aaand there's also an indie world presentation tomorrow

Edited by Sonichuman

Gotham Knights is skipping Xbone and PS4

https://www.vg247.com/arkham-knights-ps4-xbox-one

I don't know why but I was under the assumption this was the case anyway

Interested Go On GIF by filmeditor

This doesn't really mean anything but at the same time could mean SOMETHING especially considering that he went from "we're not releasing anything" to "no comment".  I still not going to pay any attention to any rumors but this is interesting nontheless.

NIntendo financials

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/220510_6e.pdf

Switch has now sold 107.65 mill worldwide, it is creeping up on Gameboy numbers now sitting at 118.69 mill.  After that DS is the last stop to the top at 154.02 mill.

MK8D  is now at 45.33 mill, ACNH is now 38.64 mill, Smash Ultimate is now 28.17 mill, BotW is now 26.55 mill, Pokemon Sw/Sh is now 24.27 mill, SMO is now 23.50 mill, Pokemon BD/SP is now 14.65 mill, Pokemon LGP/LGE is at 14.53, and Ring Fit Adventure is at 14.09 mill.

Pokemon Arceus sold 11.4 mill in 10 weeks, and Kirby and the Forgotten Land has sold 2.1 Mill in 2 weeks.  Metroid Dread has sold 2.9 mill so far.  Bayonetta 3 for now is still expected to release this year.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

This doesn't really mean anything but at the same time could mean SOMETHING especially considering that he went from "we're not releasing anything" to "no comment".  I still not going to pay any attention to any rumors but this is interesting nontheless.

I mean there has to be a new Nintendo console eventually. Switch is 5 years old now and at the time of launch it was already horribly outdated in terms of hardwre (the Nvidia chip inside was from 2015(!). And even Nintendo's own games are being held back by this hardware, as is seen by framerates, output resolutions, texture quality, etc

The only problem I see if there's a hypothetical Switch Pro - knowing this company they'll make you rebuy EVERY SINGLE EXCLUSIVE game that's built specifically to support the more powerful system instead of just releasing patches. After all wasn't that the case with the 3DS -> New 3DS? And newer games couldn't be launched on the previous generation either?

Gonna check out these games today

OOYFCKd.png

J7eGuZF.png

PnRqqH9.png

The two top games are very similar at least going by the trailers.  I've been lookin' forward to both.  Gonna play Salt and Sacrifice first cause I wanna check out the co-op.  Seems it would be fun.  I loved Salt and Sanctuary.  I played the shit out of it on Vita and PC. 

I've had Project Warlock for a while...its a pretty fun game.  It just got an update so I wanna check it out.

I think I might get into VR a bit.  I'm getting a new desk soon, so I'll be moving my computer and shit and it will be in a really wide open area and that would be great for VR.  Its gotten to where I feel like its worth checking it out now because there are quit a number of VR games I'd like to try now.  Before there was only a couple but now there are a dozen or more. 

4 hours ago, PVL_93_RU said:

I mean there has to be a new Nintendo console eventually. Switch is 5 years old now and at the time of launch it was already horribly outdated in terms of hardwre (the Nvidia chip inside was from 2015(!). And even Nintendo's own games are being held back by this hardware, as is seen by framerates, output resolutions, texture quality, etc

The only problem I see if there's a hypothetical Switch Pro - knowing this company they'll make you rebuy EVERY SINGLE EXCLUSIVE game that's built specifically to support the more powerful system instead of just releasing patches. After all wasn't that the case with the 3DS -> New 3DS? And newer games couldn't be launched on the previous generation either?

I would say based off the Series/PS5 plus Valve with the Steam deck supply issues, that a Switch Pro is more probable then a Switch 2. Nintendo has been watching how Sony and MS have struggled to get their high end hardware out to folks while Nintendo has reaped the rewards of having supply. It makes no sense to a lock in a new generation hardware when they can still probably milk another two years off what they got due to their own software and indies without any upgrades. Locking into mass producing a potential expensive architecture this early when they might get better, or knowing Nintendo it becomes cheaper, later on would be a bad move. If it is another iteration they play it safe and can eat a bit longer with the more economical game ports from the current gen or PC. 

38 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

What is amusing is that he posts that when it was confirmed like the same day it was announced that it wasnt a live service game

https://www.pcgamer.com/gotham-knights-is-not-a-live-service-game-and-can-be-played-offline/

4 minutes ago, globe said:

I've seen this article and I don't know exactly how far reaching Lee's family can do on this since that can be a slippery slope.  If a character says 'WATAH!!!' is that imitating Bruce for comedic effect?  I mean if we're taking what they're saying "for comedic effect, comic stuff" at their word then Fei doesn't even fit that bill in the slightest.  Fei is fairly no nonsense and he's actually one of the best Bruce Lee standins that honors his legacy.  Regardless though if the Lee family were to try to sue, I'm pretty sure it'd be a lost cause cause then that pretty much means any character that just happens to do JKD or anything similar can't be done.  People are speculating that the Lee family is pissed at "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood"  (which I haven't seen yet) and if that's the case I get being mad but lashing out like that ain't it.

9 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I think hes full of shit. Both Tekken Reps are running strong and they are Goofy as fuck. 

Add Jann Lee from DoA, Maxi from SC to that.

I think that the person who gave the interview is doing a lot of reaching and is mostly assuming, since for starters, Fei Long has never been a goofy character, is perhaps one of the few characters on SF that has managed to not be a clown.

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

Okay, so more stuff on Fei Long recently came out. Long story short, a journalist took what Daniel Lindholm said on a stream out of context.

Short story long, Lindholm was doing a QnA stream with one of the questions being “Who would you like to make a theme for?” Fei Long was his answer. He then recounted a story about how a close friend of the Lees (not the estate nor Capcom themselves) said Fei Long would be difficult to add because of his resemblance to Bruce. Not some hard confirm, just some guys throwing hypotheticals. Then a journalist decided to make an article of it. Writing it as a fact and didn’t bother follow up with Lindholm despite the fact he’s just a composer and not a voice of Capcom.

Lindholm has since deleted the original stream the article was based on and posted a new one explaining the Fei Long scare.

Lesson of the day: Journalists deserve nothing but pain.

More info about the Fei Long article, once again, game journalists showing why they are a fucking joke.

Edited by Hecatom