Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

1 minute ago, Sonichuman said:

Bruh....I don't put this at Lindholm's feet.  They asked him what he thought and the reporters went with it as fact and now it's potentially negatively impacting him.  You don't think that's being just a bit unfair to him given the situation?

I think a person that clearly has (well.. Had) close ties to Capcom should not be answering to a hypothetical about a character's appearance as he's not the one in charge of making said decision. He could've just as easily leaked that "oh yeah Fei Long is coming back" serving as a soft confirmation for his roster appearance in SF6

But the media is wack too for spreading the narrative this quickly and broadly 

9 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Bruh....I don't put this at Lindholm's feet.  They asked him what he thought and the reporters went with it as fact and now it's potentially negatively impacting him.  You don't think that's being just a bit unfair to him given the situation?

I agree with you that is indeed unfair.

But there is a reason why is always strongly recommended to not answer questions regarding people/companies you have a working relationship (regardless of the industry), because this stuff can happen.

You put a target on you because anything you said can be easily misconstrued or misquoted, since for the public you can easily be seen as a spoke-man, and we can't trust that the people working on the media will do their work properly, which can lead to putting you or the person/company you have a working relationship in a bind.

The fact that he deleted the original video where the rumor started doesn't help, because we now don't have the context of what was said and why it could be interpreted as he was talking as a fact, or why a "journo" would think that way.

Edited by Hecatom
17 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Just because you’re not under an NDA doesn’t mean you aren’t under an NDA if you catch my drift. 

Frankly he could still be under one currently. With the way he worded the tweet as "no more music from me" gives an impression he's composing stuff for SF6

13 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

You really are Russian.

And what the fuck is that supposeed to mean?

3 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I agree with you that is indeed unfair.

But there is a reason why is always strongly recommended to not answer questions regarding people/companies you have a working relationship (regardless of the industry), because this stuff can happen.

You put a target on you because anything you said can be easily misconstrued or misquoted, since for the public you can easily be seen as a spoke-man, and we can't trust that the people working on the media will do their work properly, which can lead to putting you or the person/company you have a working relationship in a bind.

The fact that he deleted the original video where the rumor started doesn't help, because we now don't have the context of what was said and why it could be interpreted as he was talking as a fact, or why a "journo" would think that way.

He definitely shouldn't have deleted the video for the reasons stated.  It's just lame AF that you can say 'a friend of mine thinks this' in an off handed manner in a conversation and the interviewer is like "THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE TRUTH!" and printed as fact.  That could have been for anything.

Considering I've listened to a majority of SFV's OST (haven't listened to all the new tracks from the final season just yet but they're on my playlist), Linholm's contribution to SFV has been pretty fucking solid.  He's a really nice balance from listening to Fukasawa all day and I feel that actually helps him out.   Capcom really shouldn't blacklist the guy over this, he's got pretty good potential.

Just now, Sonichuman said:

He definitely shouldn't have deleted the video for the reasons stated.  It's just lame AF that you can say 'a friend of mine thinks this' in an off handed manner in a conversation and the interviewer is like "THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE TRUTH!" and printed as fact.  That could have been for anything

The worst part is that it can happen for anything.

Some years ago (like 20 🥲)I was being interviewed for an event that some friends and I worked on, where we were presenting some comics they have worked on (there isnt a comic industry here, so it was kind of a new thing).

I answered the questions as honest as possible.

When it aired, it was cut in some weird way that it became a meme between my friends and I, like for example, I was asked about the influences we had, I answered accordingly, but the aired version was redubbed to ask if we were influenced, and I was cut to only say that we were, lol.

Damn that escalated quickly.

You have to choose your words carefully in most situations especially if you are talking about a property that people will go nuts about. 

I mean we all know how quick folk were to go to war over Chun Li's face. Saying a mildly popular character ain't coming back will move needles.

Plus my own hot take is I'd honestly rather see Yun/Yang or Gen over Fei anyway.

5 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

I'm not trusting a word from WBM until Gotha Knights is out

Don't act surprised when they patch in lootbox shit a few months later

You are right, companies have said that line before about no live service elements and then either right as the game launches or a few months later, suddenly live service elements are added with a update or DLC.

Edit: @Faltimar the Dark probably but the guy that said otherwise was not speaking facts from the company just his own mind on it. 

Edited by Wellman
3 hours ago, PVL_93_RU said:

And what the fuck is that supposeed to mean?

Maybe I'm reading into incorrectly, but I'm took it as Russian's are less free with their words for obvious reasons. It's like when I get pulled over by a cop versus when one of my white friends gets pulled over. I have all my documentation on the drive side window seal before the officer gets there. Say "Yes Sir/No Sir" and minimize my movements. I've been in the car twice when my friends got pulled over back in the day. They argue with the cop. Dig around in their glove box for documentation. Meanwhile I'm thinking "Would you shut the fuck up before I get shot." 

14 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

They've never made live service projects before 

Right so it's not even something to really expect from them. 

I'll broaden the question. What have they lied about with their games in the past?

I distrust developers who are untrustworthy. Bethesda, Ubusoft, Activision, EA. 

Has WB Montreal done/said something in the past I should be questioning?

1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

so it's not even something to really expect from them. 

Why not? 

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

What have they lied about with their games in the past?

In the past? Nothing to my knowledge 

3 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Has WB Montreal done/said something in the past I should be questioning?

Besides making some tweaks to the formula in Arkham Origins which are mostly smaller design choices, no

Doesn't mean you should be immediately embracing Arkham Knights. Or maybe it's just me being jaded. 

10 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Why not? 

Because it's nothing they have ever done before. Do you attribute behaviors to people who don't do them because other people do do them? 

10 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Doesn't mean you should be immediately embracing Arkham Knights. Or maybe it's just me being jaded. 

I think you're jaded. I've asked why we should question them and you can't provide a reason beyond general paranoia. Nothing about Arkham Knights looks Live Service, the developer has come and said it's not Live Service, and nothing the studio has done in the past that you can think of warrants thinking of them as liars who can't be trusted when they say the game isn't Live Service. 

Jaded is probably the right word. Understandable in today's climate honestly. 

Edited by RSG3

The thing is that, is fine to be jaded, but one needs to be objective and reasonable when complaining about the state of the industry.

Like for example, if the game ends getting DLC's in the form of expansions or costumes, would that immediately ruin the game, even if is not a live service, just because it got them?

Look all I'm trying to say is I sure fucking hope Gotham Knights doesn't become WB's own Anthem. God forbid we need another failed coop enabled narrative driven loot based action game 

The introduction of equipment system in GK is a major red flag to me personally 

If it turns out to be legitimately good - then that's fantastic and at least shows WB Montreal are capable of tackling original concepts instead of just copying what works

Edited by PVL_93_RU

Got Salt and Sacrifice. Hope anyone else getting it doesn't mind being stunlocked and juggled. Definitely feels more Monster Hunter than Dark Souls with the game flow so far. Chasing the mages around is ultra annoying- often you get it 2 or 3 hits then they phase away with nothing more than a general direction telling you where to go (for those "in the wild", quest mages give you a trail). Good luck guessing where they went if they phase while you're dealing with one of their minions (many of whom can knock you like 20 feet) far enough away that you can't see it. 

Concerning Gotham Knights,   I'm personally more concerned about the performance of that game more than anything at this point.  There was some clear slow down in that footage they showed and the combat looks less than fluid in my eyes at the moment.  Animation in general feels like it needs to be cleaned up and polished.  Game is out in October? *checks*  Yeah Oct 25th.  So they got 5 (probably more closer to 4 before the game starts going to gold status) to iron out the kinks.  Game looks like it has good potential so hopefully it reaches it.

Capcom also release some financial numbers as well as some of their future plans

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/05/capcom-to-release-multiple-major-new-titles-by-march-31-2023

Capcom’s announced slate of upcoming titles includes:

Capcom also shared the following updated sales numbers:

• Resident Evil Village (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold over 6.1 million units.
  • Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (Switch, PC) has sold over 1.5 million units.
  • Monster Hunter Rise sold an additional 4.1 million units during the last fiscal year.
  • Resident Evil 7 biohazard sold an additional 1.8 million units during the last fiscal year.

I almost feel like they should just scrap Re:Verse but I know they aren't cause they gotta try to chase that money they think they're gonna get from that.

Elden Ring shipments and digital sales have topped 13.4 mill

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/05/elden-ring-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-13-4-million

Guilty Gear Strive has an almost 1 year anniversary broadcast coming May 25

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/05/guilty-gear-strive-almost-one-year-anniversary-broadcast-set-for-may-25

18 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Welp....Another possible GotY contender moved into next year

Meh. 

19 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

So the only game this year right now that might give Elden Ring a run will be Dad of War Ragnarok.

*Pokemon Scarlet and Violet enter the chat* 

I don't know what exactly I expected from this after reading the premise...but this wasn't it.  First impressions right now right now are I don't like it.    I'll still probably watch a couple eps just to confirm but so far this feels like a different story  completely that someone is just putting RE flavoring on top of it.  That's the best way I can describe what I'm feeling right now.

Just now, iStu X said:

Meh. 

*Pokemon Scarlet and Violet enter the chat* 

Pokemon is a juggernaut but the chances of those games getting GotY from many publications is going to be slim.  RPG of the year?  More likely.  Family Game of the Year?  Depending on what else is releasing during the 2nd half also more likely. But I can't think of there being a time that Pokemon has ever been considered much less nominated for GotY.  Apparently upon looking it up The Trading Card game actually got game of the year but the actual games don't.

Famitsu gave GotY to Pokemon 3 times though.  But every where else was Pokemon Yellow and then Pokemon Stadium...that's it apparently.  Pokemon just doesn't tend to get talked about much when it comes to GotY discusss and I unless Violet and Scarlet blow people's minds then I doubt it's going to change.

8 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Pokemon is a juggernaut but the chances of those games getting GotY from many publications is going to be slim.  RPG of the year?  More likely.  Family Game of the Year?  Depending on what else is releasing during the 2nd half also more likely. But I can't think of there being a time that Pokemon has ever been considered much less nominated for GotY.  Apparently upon looking it up The Trading Card game actually got game of the year but the actual games don't.

Famitsu gave GotY to Pokemon 3 times though.  But every where else was Pokemon Yellow and then Pokemon Stadium...that's it apparently.  Pokemon just doesn't tend to get talked about much when it comes to GotY discusss and I unless Violet and Scarlet blow people's minds then I doubt it's going to change.

Oh you’re talking about the actual gaming awards goty award. I don’t give a shit about that. 😂 

Everything about that show is fabricated. that show is basically a 3 hour commercialized circle jerk. It doesn’t mean anything. also obligatory fuck Geoff Keighley 

Edited by iStu X
21 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Oh you’re talking about the actual gaming awards goty award. I don’t give a shit about that. 😂 

Everything about that show is fabricated. that show is basically a 3 hour commercialized circle jerk. It doesn’t mean anything. also obligatory fuck Geoff Keighley 

No I'm not talking about "The Game Awards" I'm talking about game awards in a general sense period.

20 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

No I'm not talking about "The Game Awards" I'm talking about game awards in a general sense period.

Then yeah, I guess? I don’t see why it wouldn’t. Nothing else is slated that can compete. But most people would agree those awards don’t matter and they’re awards they paid for.

additionally To me gaming is too subjective due to everyone having a different taste and different reasons for playing a, b, and c game. So the awards don’t really mean much.

A goty to one person can mean nothing to another. 

I’m also probably one of the few people in the world that has absolutely zero interest in Elden Ring. 😂

Edited by iStu X

But even so, if we are going to talk about goty material, even as a moniker and not an award, Elden Ring objectively is doing a lot of things right that warrants to be consider one.

As for Pokemon, if they do what they did with S&S, then i can't see them being considered goty's, yes, they sell well, but objectively, the games have become stale and are the at bare minimum in production values.

Is almost insulting when compared with other games in the same platform that work into doing way more

2 hours ago, iStu X said:

Then yeah, I guess? I don’t see why it wouldn’t. Nothing else is slated that can compete. But most people would agree those awards don’t matter and they’re awards they paid for.

additionally To me gaming is too subjective due to everyone having a different taste and different reasons for playing a, b, and c game. So the awards don’t really mean much.

A goty to one person can mean nothing to another. 

I’m also probably one of the few people in the world that has absolutely zero interest in Elden Ring. 😂

I know this is subjective.  It's perfectly fine to have your own GotY cause I definitely had mine be W101 in 2013 which was the same year that GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, and Last of Us 1 got released.  Barely anybody gave 2 shits about W101 that year especially cause it was on Wii U.   That didn't stop the majority of other people talking about those 3 games and Last of Us pretty much nearly Sweeped everything IIRC correctly with GTAV being a close 2nd.  I'm looking at this based on what just about everyone is talking about, how things generally have gone in the past along with hype and if the game has legacy then also on that.   Pokemon doesn't need GotY...that's not going to stop the IP from printing money year over year with each iteration they put out but it's not going to get noteworthy praise unless they upend themselves like Arceus without the performance issues.