Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I have a friend, who plays OW religiously every day.

He says he has 0 interest on OW2, pretty much since it was announced.

And the beta and what they have shown has only made stronger that posture, lol.

He also admits that he plays OW more due habit than because he really enjoys it, at least at the level when it came out.

The good thing is that he is breaching into fgs now.

He currently plays DBFZ, GBFVS and...

... sigh, strive...

He is really interested in getting into DNF.

Just now, Sonichuman said:

Funny enough they're still saying they didn't use it for OW in the comments for that Imran Khan tweet

TBH, i don't doubt that it is not used, at least not at the level where char designers are involved.

Knowing what we know about Activision Blizzard, they are very likely bullshiting with what they think is a positive subject to try to deflect one of their other scandals/bad pr.

But I wouldn't also be surprised to learn that management uses the tool, even if is imposed on them, as a way to prioritize what chars will be added, or what changes to recommend to the staff.

We have seem dumber things being done by Activision Blizzard, and publishers in general.

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

In my country one of the solutions to mitigate the proliferation of unions were it wasn't needed was to strength the labor laws and allow the professional institutes to have some of the stuff that unions supposedly try to do, but without being as intrusive.

Is far from perfect, but it has helped.

Another thing I forgot to add, is that once you have an union on the company, you can forget about being able to fend for yourself, or get better deals outside of what the union has bargained.

Not to mention that you can end on a company where the union is controlled by the same company, making it even more useless, lol.

Like in a bank I started working just before the pandemic, where the union was formed decades ago by the same bank to stop any other union to form, and as you expect it offered nothing while having all the dumb shit that works against you from regular unions, so the people working at the bank were working overtime for months by the time i was to start, and without extra pay, and without any way to stop it.

Yea so I get all this but we can't strengthen labor laws in this country, our government literally works to make our working conditions worse. We are collecting as a group in unions again because it's the only form of power we have, as a strong unit. Until we have the strength to actually get the government to pass laws and real protections for workers again in this country, your solution is a non starter waste of time. It's like saying Vote Harder for the system that already ignores you. 

The best pay, benefits, time off, and sick leave I ever had in this country in my 20 years of labor was working at a Foundry with a Union. Yea I couldn't bargain for better then the Union but they bargained me an actual wage, actual insurance, actual time off. No other job I've had has ever given me that no matter how hard I pushed for it, broke my body fot them to deserve it and still didn't get it. 

Sorry but in this country, right now, your solution is a waste of time. Maybe in the future but right now, nope. 

Edited by RSG3

Kingdoms of Amalur...

Well this is quite the strange glitch... the item radial is just gone now.  "LB" button is supposed to bring it up, but that just stopped working a while ago.  The button itself works but in the game it just doesn't bring up the radial like it should anymore... and I can't map any consumables to that anymore either.

Anyway, I finally tracked down this broad that was being a problem, sending me on this wild goose chase and leading me into an ambush at one point.... one of those "moral choice" moments popped up after I saved her from some other bad guys..... I could've spared or killed her... I decided to kill the bitch, of course.  

We have Paramount+ for a very short period since my wife took a free trial and forgot to cancel it before it took a payment out....so I figured I'd go ahead and watch the Halo TV series.  I am now on the infamous episode where Chief not only loses his virginity but loses it to the enemy.  Knowing the full context leading up to this moment...yeah I can see how halo fans could be pretty upset at this.  I do talk about some spoiler stuff so if you're interested in all at giving the show a fair shot some day then don't read after this paragraph.  Long story short, action sequences great, show is overall ok, questionable story beats.

Random thoughts and impressions:

There is an interesting series here because it's clear that the people who make the show are somewhat familiar with the IP (which honestly I can't tell if it's truly them in hindsight or if it's just 343i telling them "no this has to be this way") because Chief's armor looks great, the HUD in the helmet and the sound effects from the guns are straight from the series, and the show has no qualms at all with being bloody and brutal when action sequences kick in.   Bodies explode, bullets land in heads, people get vaporized, etc.  CG can look spotty at times but there's a lot of CG and digital stuff going on in this show...I can see why this shit is so expensive per episode.  They also do a pretty good job making the Chief and the other Spartans look good and imposing.

Halsey is sociopathic bitch in this show.  I know she's responsible for the Spartan program and the UNSC have done some questionable to downright morally wrong things especially in regards to the Spartan program but they made it so that she has absolutely no remorse over any and all actions and she's quick to fuck over anyone she deems to be in her way.  I don't know if Halsey is like this in the games but she is not a character to be liked in this show.

I like the side story of the runaway spartan Soren.  Kwan Ha was annoyingly reckless (you have a whole ass bounty on your head on a hostile planet and you're yelling...smh)  but Soren being there made it better.

There are just some questionable choices and an unbelievable personality sway and I say this as someone who has limited knowledge of Halo and it's lore.  Cortana being plugged directly into the the brain is an interesting choice but in the process of making that change they didn't even bother to change Chief's headpiece so he still has the part in the back go plug the A.I. but...but no A.I. chip.  I  heard Chief removes his helmet but I didn't think it'd happen in the first episode...and they seem to be obsessed at time with taking it off repeatedly and it's just weird to me seeing Chief walking around without his helmet.  It's a minor thing but I'm not sure if it's just due to the writing of this chief (which I'll talk about in a second) or the actor just not wanting to be under a helmet all the time (Some actors have big problem about having their face obscured from what I understand cause they want to make sure that they're seen).  Them pushing Chief to have "feelings" is also an interesting angle.  Chief in the games is a fairly stoic, no nonsense, man of few words, "Put me in coach and I'll get shit done" type of character but from what I understand he's not really a "machine" and that gets explored in some of the later games but not this hard.  And they try to make this such a forefront thing that they try to make it so you'll accept him having sex with the human covenant member but I'm not buying it at all.  Yeah they tried to give them a connection in the story to have them be "special" but it feels like they put the minimum amount of time into their relationship before jumping each others bones.  They really didn't need to force this into the story at that juncture....if they absolutely had to do it they could have attempted this later but I'm not buying it for either character at this point in the story.  There are a surprising amount naked cheeks in this show...I was not prepared for the amount of rear nudity in this show about Halo.  I guessing this might by one of the reason AngryJoe calls him Master Cheeks.  I may have to actually listen to his rants on this show lol.

So yeah I understand why fans are not really happy with this show.  This is going to be a pretty hard sell to fans but I can see people who are not familiar with the lore probably getting some enjoyment out it but I don't know if this show is going to bring more people into the IP at this point which one of the most important jobs an adaptation has.

9 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Is Yellowstone on Paramount+? I've heard really good things about that show.

My folks keep telling me to watch that show and I just haven't.  I just checked and there is a Yellowstone on Paramount + but it's not the Yellowstone that everyone is talking about.  Apparently that's through Amazon Prime when I looked it up.

I'm on "Shadows of New York" again... It would be nice if the lines in a visual novel like this at least had some voice actors on it.  I'm spoiled by so many other games that at least have VAs performing the lines....

Julia also just let another one get away that I was hoping would be another quick meal.  This character is too "nice" for her own good, really.  Perhaps it happens with other dialogue choices though.  

edit---oooh, cool scene I just got with a close-up security camera shot of Julia arriving to a building... since she's of the Lasombra clan and thus has that curse... from the POV of the camera she appears like a strange distorted blurry image.  In the lore, people who are unaware of supernatural things being real would of course just assume something is wrong with the camera.

Meanwhile in Kingdoms of Amalur--- I finally got a Chaos weapon.  The big boss of the story in the DLC already looks like a cool supervillain that I will have an epic final showdown with at some point.  I kinda like this concept here.. that the new villain and some of the enemies here make the chaos weapons a requirement.  Basically, they are invincible if you don't have some sort of chaos weapon, apparently.

Edited by MillionX

RE: Yellowstone...

It is one of the best shows out there.  It is definitely recommended.  It should be on Paramount+ as it's a Paramount show.  I DVR'd the first 3 seasons around Xmas a couple years ago on Paramount then watched the most recent season as it aired.  It's just an incredible show and the acting is some of the best, aside from one character lol.  

Beth is one of the greatest TV characters in the history of TV.  

4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

My parents have T-Mobile so they can get Paramount+ for free for a year. I'm going to pull the trigger on it once Sonic 2 is on the service.

That's the only reason I have it. I hadn't used it at all but after hearing it wasn't trash. I decided to check out Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. Only two episodes thus far but it's the first "new Star Trek" show that is actually Star Trek....so far. Anson Mount is really good actor. Of course I figured that out in the awful Inhumans show. He was Black Bolt and despite not being able to speak he did a good job.

Ok so asking for my little bro. Works been kinda rough for him lately and I wanted to get him a game to cheer him up a bit hopefully. He loves Gran Turismo but with the state of GT7 I feel that might drive him to suicide lmao. 

So the question is what other racing Sims exist for PS4/5 that would be worth scooping up for him? Anyone have thoughts on Assetto Corsa? I play big dumb arcade racers so Sims are way out of my wheel house. 

Tantalus says that that it took a year and a half to port LoZ: SS to Switch in order to get the controls to translate properly, also says that Nintendo has not approached them to port LoZ: TP to Switch.

https://www.ign.com/articles/zelda-skyward-sword-hd-controls-took-year-and-half

They said it wasn't a priority in the talks they had with them.  This makes me curious as that what actually is the priority since apparently this seems to imply that they have been in talks with them about something at least.

PS blog for PSN tiers

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/05/16/all-new-playstation-plus-game-lineup-assassins-creed-valhalla-demons-souls-ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-nba-2k22-and-more-join-the-service/

Ubisoft Plus is also apparently going to be added to the PS Plus service

Twitch and Discord release statements regarding the Buffalo Mass shooting

https://www.ign.com/articles/twitch-discord-provide-statements-following-buffalo-mass-shooting

33 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Ok so asking for my little bro. Works been kinda rough for him lately and I wanted to get him a game to cheer him up a bit hopefully. He loves Gran Turismo but with the state of GT7 I feel that might drive him to suicide lmao. 

So the question is what other racing Sims exist for PS4/5 that would be worth scooping up for him? Anyone have thoughts on Assetto Corsa? I play big dumb arcade racers so Sims are way out of my wheel house. 

I'm not into sim racers but I'll back up @Hecatomon Assetto Corsa. I've heard nothing but good things about it from racing sim fans. IIRC it just got a next gen update fairly recently. I remember Digital Foundry talking about it. I found the video.

I'm listening to Joe's first ep review of the Halo show and I was fully expecting him to be hyperbolic but god damn he's being pretty fucking fair to this.  A lot of the issues I have with the first episode and things that I liked are pretty much aligning with my thoughts on it.  I had forgot for a second exactly how dumb Kwan Ha's rationale and reactions were in the first episode but it was definitely dumb writing.  For those who don't know Kwan Ha was a insurrectionist on a planet that was essentially holding out against the UNSC because they're afraid that they're just putting out propaganda (which is probably half right).  They really just want to be free and have their freedoms and don't want a government to tell them what to do and how to feel (which sounds....INCREDIBLY FAMILIAR).  So they're establishing that they just plain don't like the UNSC in the beginning of the episode but then roughly about 15-20 minutes in that he fucking MURDERED by the Covenant.  Again bodies exploding, people getting vaporized, people getting sliced and half and stabbed by energy swords, women and children decimated  (there's a specific scene where they make this a point where children got put in a bunker and an Elite pretty much lays waste to them after knocking the door and and he kills everyone in the room like fish in a barrel).  Chief and his crew show up and clean house but by the time they finish there's nobody left except Kwan Ha.  Kwan Ha's father and the people who were there witnessing the Chief and the other Spartans trying to help them actually take up arms against the covenant and Kwan Ha sees this happening amidst the chaos.  So when Chief brings her aboard the ship and the UNSC tries to get her to give a statement letting other people and other colonies know that they are not the enemy and the Covenant is a danger to all, she essentially tells them to go fuck themselves and if they put her in front of a camera she's going to tell them that the UNSC was responsible for killing everyone.  

Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

Fucking mind reboot when it came to this moment. 

Edited by Sonichuman
33 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm listening to Joe's first ep review of the Halo show and I was fully expecting him to be hyperbolic but god damn he's being pretty fucking fair to this.  A lot of the issues I have with the first episode and things that I liked are pretty much aligning with my thoughts on it.  I had forgot for a second exactly how dumb Kwan Ha's rationale and reactions were in the first episode but it was definitely dumb writing.  For those who don't know Kwan Ha was a insurrectionist on a planet that was essentially holding out against the UNSC because they're afraid that they're just putting out propaganda (which is probably half right).  They really just want to be free and have their freedoms and don't want a government to tell them what to do and how to feel (which sounds....INCREDIBLY FAMILIAR).  So they're establishing that they just plain don't like the UNSC in the beginning of the episode but then roughly about 15-20 minutes in that he fucking MURDERED by the Covenant.  Again bodies exploding, people getting vaporized, people getting sliced and half and stabbed by energy swords, women and children decimated  (there's a specific scene where they make this a point where children got put in a bunker and an Elite pretty much lays waste to them after knocking the door and and he kills everyone in the room like fish in a barrel).  Chief and his crew show up and clean house but by the time they finish there's nobody left except Kwan Ha.  Kwan Ha's father and the people who were there witnessing the Chief and the other Spartans trying to help them actually take up arms against the covenant and Kwan Ha sees this happening amidst the chaos.  So when Chief brings her aboard the ship and the UNSC tries to get her to give a statement letting other people and other colonies know that they are not the enemy and the Covenant is a danger to all, she essentially tells them to go fuck themselves and if they put her in front of a camera she's going to tell them that the UNSC was responsible for killing everyone.  

Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

Fucking mind reboot when it came to this moment. 

Kwan will only get worse from here. Her spotlight episode is peak dumbass

54 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Snip

I am not a huge Halo fan or anything, so I gave the show a chance to see if at least, if they were to ignore the lore, they will try at least to tell something interesting.

But after that whole ordeal I checked out.

It is plain stupid writing.

You need to turn off the brain to even try to have enjoyment, and even then, it is pure generic tropes that we have seen multiple times already in other low tier scifi.

today i was thinking how i like lil richard.

then i started thinking when i first saw him. and it was in the movie "down and out in beverly hills" and how funny he was in it.

then i started thinking how good it was his song in the movie predator chopper scene.

then i remembered that in far cry 3 blood dragon his predator song plays at the start of the game when u shoot the gatling gun from the chpper.

and how orgasmic it felt. damn that was satisfying as fuck to do.

still the best far cry game ever.

37 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

There have actually been rumors of GTA and Mario Kart sequels. Xenoverse on the other hand...it's going to keep going until they add Farmer With Shotgun as DLC. And there are lot of characters to go before they get to him. 

GTA sequel was actually offically announced as being worked on from Rockstar.  It's no longer rumor.  THAT BEING SAID...If some how GTA 6 is booty buttcheeks I wouldn't to surprised if they went right back to rereleasing and updating GTAV/GTAO until they get to GTA7 so if I had to put money out of the 3 it'd be on GTAV.

On 5/16/2022 at 7:44 AM, purbeast said:

RE: Yellowstone...

It is one of the best shows out there.  It is definitely recommended.  It should be on Paramount+ as it's a Paramount show.  I DVR'd the first 3 seasons around Xmas a couple years ago on Paramount then watched the most recent season as it aired.  It's just an incredible show and the acting is some of the best, aside from one character lol.  

Beth is one of the greatest TV characters in the history of TV.  

Yeah that is the thing, Yellowstone is not on Paramount Plus it is on Peacock. I think they have a sort of South Park situation where own the property but are lending the streaming rights out. The prequel mini series is on Paramount Plus but Yellowstone seasons are on Peacock.

5 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Yeah that is the thing, Yellowstone is not on Paramount Plus it is on Peacock. I think they have a sort of South Park situation where own the property but are lending the streaming rights out. The prequel mini series is on Paramount Plus but Yellowstone seasons are on Peacock.

I think they marathon is pretty regularly on Paramount so if you have FIOS or something just search for it and set the DVR.

26 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Can we NOT go down this alley again?  We've been down this multiple times.  WE ALL KNOW...what's at the end of this alley

It's amazing how often Fox news will go down this road when we have three generations now that has grown up on video games. Only uninformed boomers will be into this shit at this point and they are dying out

22 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Maaaaan I actually thought they were gonna name drop Kirby. That would be the darkest of timelines LOL

Granted it would be hilarious seeing mean mug Kirby with his little old school pistol on Fox News after they just got him an award this year for his music being played. However I just wish the media heads that have such large platforms actually had brains to stop trying to blame entertainment media and gaming while protecting other obvious targets like racism or lack of quality gun control.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Ahh fuck..here we fucking go again

Can we NOT go down this alley again?  We've been down this multiple times.  WE ALL KNOW...what's at the end of this alley.

The fact that it’s not just Fox News peddling this crap, but the idiots on Twitter as well really gives me a migraine. If it’s not video games, it’s anime. If it’s not anime, it’s unrelated celebrities.

I wish people would just stop trying to throw out their conspiracies when it’s obvious why the guy who had the N-word written on his gun would do this. No amount of getting rid of media would’ve changed people like him.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Ahh fuck..here we fucking go again

Can we NOT go down this alley again?  We've been down this multiple times.  WE ALL KNOW...what's at the end of this alley.

I'm gonna give the guest props for completely side stepping the dumbfuckery of the question.