Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

26 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Yeaaahhhh.

But we also had devs saying that having the game on gamepass actually reduced their opportunities of income in some cases.

To say it is beneficial for everyone is as dumb as saying that is hurting all devs.

It varies from case to case.

I’m not saying I know a lot about the situation but just going off who I follow, what I read, etc, 

Since around 2018 a lot of indie devs now do their work with the switch and PC in mind as they’re the biggest sellers and easiest to program for which give devs the biggest return on their investments. 

not saying gamepass doesn’t help indie devs im sure it does in a lot of company saving ways and props to M$ for that.  But on the other side of the coin I’m sure the percentage of money each dev gets varies on a lot of different factors and most of them are likely not as advantageous as they sound on paper. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Physical will always be the best if available. Or maybe I'm just getting old

It’s not that it isn’t but in this case specifically Indie titles rarely get the luxury of physical releases and when they do they’re usually through bullshit practices like Limited Run

When it comes to AAA, AA, Major publishers? Yeah. Physical will always be better. 

but I’m also very much I want to get the most out of my dollar. If I can get a still $70-60 MSRP game digitally for $30? Yeah. I’m going to get digital. If I like it enough I’ll likely double dip and buy it physically down the line when the prices drops to what I originally got it for digitally. I did that a lot with PS3 and PS4. 

Edited by iStu X

Even when I had my Xbox one X I didn’t have gamepass. For me and what I want I see absolutely no value in it. Still don’t. 

GET ACCESS TO ALL THESE AMAZING FIRST PARTY TITLES!

really? Can you name any that aren’t the consistently panned Halo, Gears or Forza?

Yeah you bought Bethesda but all their games are still multiplat and you plan to keep it that way going forward. So what is the benefit? also, for me personally, I refuse to support Bethesda as a company. So their library means nothing to me. 

Yeah you’re in the middle of buying Activision/Blizzard but all their releases are still going to be multiplat. Which was confirmed BY you. And again, I can count on one hand how many times I’ve bought an Activlizzard on one hand since the PS2 era as their a shit tier company that not only puts out horrible games but are a massively toxic company behind closed doors. 

I’ve also seen what you’ve done (or what you haven’t done) with all the other companies you’ve absorbed. So why should I support that? 

”all these amazing Indie titles!” 
yeah, this is great but I’d rather actually pay the indie dev’s substantial more money upfront than what I’m sure you’re giving them overtime. Also more people have other platforms that these Indie titles are also on. So even word of mouth is worth more than playing them on gamepass. 

Sure you can get the amazing square game here day one, or the amazing capcom game here. But again, I’d rather own them. 

I get why gamepass is so successful and continues to be successful but for me there absolutely no return in my investment so I’d rather just invest elsewhere 

Edited by iStu X

GameStop near me is going to have PS5 bundles in stock this Saturday. I’m gunna try my luck to snag one 

These are apparently the bundles that most stores will have. 

Spoiler

A1D640D8-8A09-4666-B1F1-18FD7BA6A6DD.thumb.jpeg.20ad45dcae3c39f39a36a8dc4d71739f.jpeg

2BC2E1E9-D589-4ADC-9F71-437481DA4DAB.thumb.jpeg.c4944a449c741dc1143bf8f28eecc056.jpeg

I’m hoping to get either Primary Bundle #2 or Alternative Bundle #2. They both have the most I want and I will just trade back in the excess and/or use the gift card to get the games I actually want. 

Games I’m looking to get right now are 

Final Fantasy Origins 

Guardians of the Galaxy 

Tales of Arise 

Uncharted Collection (low priority) 

Ghost of Tsushima (Low Priority) 

FF7R Intergade (Extremely low priority) 

Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Deluxe edition if possible so I can Spider-Man remastered)

Ratchet and Clank (Which is why I’m banking on bundle)

I don’t expect to get more than a couple of them and even if I don’t I still have an extensive backlog of PS4 titles to go through. 

Edited by iStu X

^Oh yeah, their bundle deals is how I got mine... I just happened to stop by one day and saw the sign on the door about a "ps5 bundle event", and I was lucky enough to be stopping by as they were just opening the store for the day as well (later in the day they were probably all gone, I bet)  My system came with an extra controller, charging station, the 2nd Horizon game and GT7, which of course I'm intending to sell back. (*zero interest in that series and I've heard it's online-only as well, which further disgusts me...haha it's still in the plastic right now.)

On another note, I finally started playing a bit more Luminous Avenger iX lately on Switch.  Heh, I have so many games at this point... I could just sit on this goldmine of a gaming library without needing to buy anything new for at least the next several years.  The only thing significant I'm looking forward to that's coming out soon is the dlc for Outriders.

edit---oh yeah---on Steam I noticed all the new animated avatars, profile borders and backgrounds recently... it's a shame there's none of that on Xbox, PSN or Nintendo... the variety on Nintendo for that stuff is the worst of the bunch, actually.... Xbox at least stands out for letting you put your own picture as a profile (*mine has been Pinhead from Hellraiser for years now)... but that's a little "extra" thing that would be cool; I hate that they don't just steal that idea.  I've seen recently on PSN that just about all those avatars are the same shit I remember from the PS3 era!  C'mon now... I would think they'd at least let you unlock special ones from games you've bought (which further incentivizes the customer to keep buying stuff)  The miscellaneous "profile" cosmetics on Steam actually look cool....oh and this is on top of them also letting you upload your own pictures; currently mine is the classic silhouette shot of Nosferatu creeping up stairs from the 1922 film.

Edited by MillionX
5 hours ago, iStu X said:

GameStop near me is going to have PS5 bundles in stock this Saturday. I’m gunna try my luck to snag one 

These are apparently the bundles that most stores will have. 

I’m hoping to get either Primary Bundle #2 or Alternative Bundle #2. They both have the most I want and I will just trade back in the excess and/or use the gift card to get the games I actually want. 

Games I’m looking to get right now are 

Final Fantasy Origins 

Guardians of the Galaxy 

Tales of Arise 

Uncharted Collection (low priority) 

Ghost of Tsushima (Low Priority) 

FF7R Intergade (Extremely low priority) 

Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Deluxe edition if possible so I can Spider-Man remastered)

Ratchet and Clank (Which is why I’m banking on bundle)

I don’t expect to get more than a couple of them and even if I don’t I still have an extensive backlog of PS4 titles to go through. 

Good luck!  Let us know if you score!

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

This is unexpected but totally welcomed.

Gonna buy it day juan.

Also, Seeing those re releases makes me wish that Dimps released a collection for The Rumble Fish 1 & 2.

The series deserves love.

At least that if they don't plan to release a new game now that they recovered the license from Sega Sammy.

6 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Whatever happened to Arcana Heart 4? I remember Examu had a Kickstarter for it and released Love Max as a holdover. I can't remember if they provided any updates 

The kickstarter was for the port of AH3, and to add new characters.

AH3 Sixtar Extend is the name 😅, it added 3 new chars (I am still salty they didn't add the character i wanted)

Examu is still working on AH4, BUT, Examu as a company is kind of gone, the core staff for AH4 is still there working on the game, but due problems securing new projects it kind of downsized/closed 🥲

The last project they worked on was Million Arthur Arcana Blood. Which imo, is a really good fun game.

Sadly Square didn't have too much plans for the game outside japan, which is a miracle we got a pc port in the west.

https://www.siliconera.com/team-arcana-unaffected-by-developer-examus-closing-confirms-producer/

20 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

A shooting in the USA happens? Clearly the video games are to blame.

As the years have passed I get more and more upset that this is still a narrative people believe. Since the 90’s we’ve had literally 1000’s of case studies done proving the exact opposite. It was a bullshit scape goat then and it’s a bullshit scape goat now. 

Edited by iStu X

I was trying the new free to play that Ubisoft released this week, today?, Roller Champions.

And while is too soon to form an opinion, since I only touched the tutorial, I have to say that the CAC is fucking ugly.

Like, truly horrible, I guess that once you unlock stuff you can make something that looks decent, but it looks bad.

In that regard Knock-Out City has it beaten, since its stylized character design is more charming, imo.

My continued deep dive into Rogue Legacy 2:

• Upgrades are PRICY at this point, I'm around 5 million or so in upgrades at this point and I still have a way to go to fully maxing everything.
  • Astromancer, Duelist and Valkyrie are SS tier IMO.  Chef is solid A tier, but that class struggles hard against a couple of the bosses.  I'd put Boxer in the same spot.  Mage is completely dependent on RNG. I haven't played enough with the Archer class to put them in a tier at the moment.
Edited by J-ride

So I wanted to throw some shine on this fan project. I rememeber people posting a few vids for it. It got finished earlier this year and the latest build is really stable so i feel its worth recommending to people here, especially since its free, a cool throw back, a good effort at what Fromsoft does, oh and its free.

Bloodborne PSX

https://b0tster.itch.io/bbpsx

Really fun project, a cool way to kill an hour, especially if you are a big fan of Fromsofts work over the last 20 years, or a big Bloodborne fan.

Iron Pineapple covers it as the first game in this video. He shows the game off without showing the whole thing off.

Edited by RSG3
7 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

With the library as huge as WB why in the hell would the devs feel the need to have OCs?

I presume to have some plot for any kind of spinoff in other media, like having an animated series, movie, etc.

BTW.

I just remembered that Warner was planning to sell their video game division some years ago.

I guess that after the merger with AT&T and now with Discovery, they saw it as a stupid idea to sell one of the few divisions that was actually profitable.

8 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Stranger Things? 

5 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Yup, I was also confused by this.

Yep. Datamined voice lines have other characters talking to Eleven and a model was found. Not sure if that model ended up being fake or not, but the voices confirm that she may at some point be playable.

And while Stranger Things isn’t WB, the head dev said that the reason the game’s name is Multiversus and not something like Super Warner Brothers is because they will be looking to add third party characters and series to the game.

Just now, BornWinner said:

Yep. Datamined voice lines have other characters talking to Eleven and a model was found. Not sure if that model ended up being fake or not, but the voices confirm that she may at some point be playable.

And while Stranger Things isn’t WB, the head dev said that the reason the game’s name is Multiversus and not something like Super Warner Brothers is because they will be looking to add third party characters and series to the game.

It was something we were talking about some friends right now.

With all the talk about metaverses, this game is an easy way to create one.

They have multiple properties that they can capitalize and inject new ways to create revenue from them with this game.

Not only by adding them to this game and any potential spinoff, but also creating interest and attracting eyes to the platform that host the series/movies (HBOMAX)

Attracting other properties into the mix is something that has worked for Fortnite, so I don't see why they wouldn't try the same approach.

Perhaps the only real downside is that with time, it will become a nightmare to try to balance the game, seeing how they also want to attract a competitive side to the game.

1 hour ago, Camacho said:

Holy shit, I hope the leak of Dragon's Dogma 2 is real! Lots of other great news there, still want Bloodborne on PC though. 

That'd be really awesome if that comes to PC but I have a feeling it never will.  But you never know I guess.  Anyhow, Ghost of Sushi is what I'd really like to be ported to PC.  It looks real cool.  Returnal also looks pretty cool.

@MillionX, did you get V rising?  I started playing it last night.  Its got crafting and shit so that's all I did really.  I built me a little...4 walls and two doors.  No roof.  Then I built a coffin and some other shit.  Mostly just run around getting shit to craft with and fighting and feeding on animals.  Seems kinda boring so far.

spacer.png

Think I'm finally burned out of Synthetik.  Haven't had any real urge to play it lately.  I think I'll start playing Synthetik 2 even though they still haven't implemented co-op. 

spacer.png

It is a great game though...

Any of you ever play this? - https://store.steampowered.com/app/317400/Portal_Stories_Mel/

Portal Stories: Mel is a community made, free modification for Portal 2 based in the Portal universe. It tells the story of Mel, who meets a new personality core and faces an undiscovered threat to the Aperture facility.

9 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

That'd be really awesome if that comes to PC but I have a feeling it never will.  But you never know I guess.  Anyhow, Ghost of Sushi is what I'd really like to be ported to PC.  It looks real cool.  Returnal also looks pretty cool.

@MillionX, did you get V rising?  I started playing it last night.  Its got crafting and shit so that's all I did really.  I built me a little...4 walls and two doors.  No roof.  Then I built a coffin and some other shit.  Mostly just run around getting shit to craft with and fighting and feeding on animals.  Seems kinda boring so far.

spacer.png

Think I'm finally burned out of Synthetik.  Haven't had any real urge to play it lately.  I think I'll start playing Synthetik 2 even though they still haven't implemented co-op. 

spacer.png

It is a great game though...

Any of you ever play this? - https://store.steampowered.com/app/317400/Portal_Stories_Mel/

Ghost is really good, recently played it on PS4. Interested in Returnal, Demon's Souls (never owned a ps3) and HZW as well. 

Nah, I don't have V-Rising yet.  I haven't checked but my pc more than likely can't run it.  This contraption probably can't run anything more than some 8-bit retro cheap looking shit.  I'm hoping something changes for it on Steam Deck (it has problems running on that from what I hear) whenever I get that.  I'm also not really that into the resource gathering aspect of things.... that part of this subgenre usually comes off as lame and boring "busywork", imo.  I just want to set up my cool looking lair with a few servants... and go around the world killing things in cool ways as a powerful vamp.  

Another nitpick is that they gave the male vamp some strange body proportions for some reason... though the female bodytype looks more normal.

During a Q&A with a Capcom exec, exec said that the Capcom Fighting Collections is not part of the "capcom test"

https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/05/26/capcom-fighting-collection-qa-with-producer-shuhei-matsumoto

JC: Does the inclusion of series like Darkstalkers, Cyberbots, and Red Earth increase the chance of a revival of any of these series in the future?

Matsumoto: I genuinely want these titles to be played once again on current gen consoles. I also want people who may have seen them but never had the chance to play them to get this opportunity. That said, we do not think that this will necessarily increase the possibility of these series being revived.

Edited by Sonichuman