Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Jeff Grubb is mentioned in his Twitter that he expects Street Fighter VI to be one of the big reveals at the State of Play Next week. He knows Capcom wants a strong summer showing via new announcements, new games dropping, upcoming releases, etc. So SF6 seems like a safe bet and a good start. 

He also says he could be wrong but he’s talked to enough people he feels confident SF6 will show up. 

Edited by iStu X
37 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I literally forgot SFV existed. Is it worth playing? I think I traded it in not long after buying it.

Dunno, I like it enough to overlook its flaws and play it casually.

But at the same time, I am very critical of many design choices and some balance choices that capcom has done over the years, lol.

I think that for what the game is, it is in a decent position right now, but fundamentally, it has not changed that much to say that what you didn't like before is no longer there.

So it would be a matter to try it out and or watch videos to see if you like what you see.

46 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I literally forgot SFV existed. Is it worth playing? I think I traded it in not long after buying it.

You run free trials pretty regularly, it's best to judge for yourself. The game is far different now that it was at launch. It's less restrictive than before, especially when it come sto juggle combos.

What a day... right after I come back from the gym... FedEx truck happens to show up... STEAM DECK is here, folks!!!

So I'm finally able to at least *start* this game "Hatred"....and already there's a problem that only I have run into.  Literally no one else has come across it so I guess there's just no solution, since no one plays or cares about this damn game anymore.  In the starting area, there's supposed to be a room that opens up near the bottom, then you can move on.... but that just doesn't happen for me, no matter what. It doesn't matter what I highlight or what buttons I press, the character is just forever stuck in that small room then.

So... I guess I will only ever be playing the Survival mode then.  I doubt there is any kind of fix since the game is old and most people forgot about it by now.... also, any search online just brings up search results for "can't leave starting area" in various other games, even though I goddamn specified the fucking name of the game.

hold the fuck on...just what is even going on?  Sometimes it's a completely different starting area from what I see online, like some people starting right in the action after a cinematic:

Ok, those people are just skipping the tutorial area... since that part seems fucked for me (and no one else in the world, of course) then I'll just get right into the real first area.

Finally, restarting the main level worked.  

Edited by MillionX

You aint stuck in the beginning part I bet.  You just aint doing what it says.  I got stuck in there for a bit too cause I didnt notice the little text tell me to move somewheres or duck or some shit.  Thought I was stuck too. 

Can I pay for a Steam Deck now?  I went from being real hype to get one to being cautious about it.  I'm not sure if I want to get a first gen or wait for a second or even third generation version. 

Oh yeah, it's been open for new orders on all 3 SKUs since I've been checking the store the past few days... I got the middle one.

*it surprises me they actually put regular controller settings in this... including touch-screen capability... "Hatred" shows up as being untested on Deck though.  All games that are tested/verified to work show up in the store with a green checkmark.

ah...well shit... not everything on controller works--- "Excecute" which should be Y button doesn't work... and crouch doesn't seem to work either.

Edited by MillionX

I think even in this video I get a confused for a second on what to do or what button to press during the tutorial part.

This is the top of the list of my compatible games.  Like a dozen and a half more under that...cant fit them all.

VUR4k7n.png

Some of them I havent even really played and they're perfect for a handheld.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
7 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Interesting... it's possible to get Black Knife Tiche early and without needing Ranni's quest?!!

There is a way to fall through the Cliffside and activate the Statue if Marika near the Cathedral of Manis Solas and skip all of Ranbi's questline. You can do this the moment the game begins. The Moonlight Greatsword even spawns up there despite doing none of the quest. 

You can do the same thing in the Concecrated Snowfield to activate the Marika Statue in the Halig Tree and skip needing to the Laturgical Village. Might even be doable from the Mountain Top of the Giants. 

BBCF / GBFVS

https://www.twitch.tv/bgcallisto

DBFZ

https://www.twitch.tv/tampaneversleeps

UNICLR / BBTAG / MBTL / MBAACC

https://www.twitch.tv/datafgc

Mysterious Game

https://www.twitch.tv/madcitygg

Schedules

https://www.ginx.tv/en/video-games/combo-breaker-2022-schedule-games-stream

All streams for other games I didn't list
https://combobreaker.org/cb2022/#streams

Edited by Hecatom

Galloping Ghost was cool, but it wasn't as cool as I had hoped.  Like 90% of the games don't work properly.  The main issue with the ones that aren't working 100% is the monitors.  They are dim, blurry, missing colors, etc.  They just have a ton of monitor issues.  Then a lot just have jacked up controls.  Many of the games had no sound either just like the volume was turned off or something.  All of the racing games I played had no force feedback working on their steering wheels.

Like it was still cool dont' get me wrong, but it just would have been better.  I played some fighting games I never even heard of, some really bad, and some okay.  Primal Rage 2 was actually decent and better than the first one IMO.

I also played Ultra SF4 arcade.  However the monitor was DEFINITELY not the stock one because it was a total lag fest.  But I know it was the arcade game cause it said "FREE PLAY" on it so it wasn't just a PC version running in there.  Also the Sanwa sticks were all jacked up on the side I played.

Had I paid for my flight I would not have thought it was worth it, but with points it cost me nothing so it was worth it.  The pinball room was also pretty solid.

34 minutes ago, Camacho said:

I'd guess maintaining all those CRT monitors in a post CRT production world is pretty damn tough/expensive. Controls get beaten to shit quickly as well.

The way that place is crammed and just tight on space (to no fault of their own - just a lot of games), I can't imagine how much work is required to move a cabinet out of there to do work on it.  I know you can get to monitors without doing that too though but it's tight in there.

Most of the problems with the monitors can probably be fixed with cap kits and/or flyback replacements.  Flybacks can be tough to find though.  I still have 2 monitors I need to do that on I've just been lazy for months about it lol.

Jak & Daxtrr was my platformer series of choice during the PS2 era followed by Sly. The first one is like Crash Bandicoot but let loose in an open world-ish kind of design. The whole series has charming writing but the first has a great cast of Goofy people to interact with. The second is everything the first 8s but set in a big "Futuristic but also kinda grunge punk" GTA style setting with hover cars and bikes and a more "teenagers idea of adult" kind of mood and grit. The thirds set in a big wasteland with a Mad Max vibe. Seconds my favorite with the third being my least favorite but I still like all 3 quite a bit. I have the OS3 collection and it was really solid. I imagine the PS4 one is to. 

They have Jak X Combat racing on the PSN Classic store. That game takes place after 3 and is like if Burnout 3/Revenge had weapons. Its a crazy fast "Kart" Racer and pretty fun, tho a little bullshit sometimes to lol. 

Well, gamebreaking bullshit again... so I just wanted to relax and get further in Vampire Swansong... after a scene where Galeb speaks with the Prince... again there's an "inescapable room" situation.  No buttons do anything other than the analog stick making that shithead walk around her office.  The door doesn't open, there's nothing to inspect or interact with at all, and I could not speak with or interact with the Prince or her bodyguard.  I checked a walkthrough on youtube, and sure enough... the game fucked up right there--- after speaking with the Prince, it's supposed to go right to a cinematic, and then Galeb is somewhere else....so you're not supposed to be just there in her office walking around.

I hit "restart" and that just started the whole game over (there is only 1 save, btw). ....annnnd I'm seeing now I can't skip any of these scenes I've already watched.  Oh how fun.  Damn and there's quite a bit I did just in the first mission there; I had played 2 of the 3 and already had a certain idea of how to go about things... now I have to start completely over.

edit---whoever is voicing the kid Halsey... that voice they're putting on to sound like a small child is horrible....it would be nice if I could just mute everything that damn character says.

Edited by MillionX