Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Beat Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart last night. Fun game. I wish there was a bigger variety of weapons and a more fleshed out story as a lot of the character arcs just seemed forced and rushed. 

I wish there was something to do post game outside of Challenge Mode/Hard Mode. All the collectibles are all easy to find. Very easy game all in all but still a really fun game. 

I want more games with Rivet and Kit. I love both of them. 

I would write an in-depth review but I really don’t feel like it. I give it a solid 6/10. Fun. Left wanting more in a positive way and negative way. But over all a good time. 

Gunna start Sifu after I’m done running errands

Edited by iStu X

I'm still having more fun with Prototype 2 again... that series is definitely one that needs the update/remake treatment... if I had control of things I'd do a remake of both games AND have that be the lead-in for Prototype 3 to hit later.  It would be interesting to see how they continue things; it was a bold move to make "Mercer" the bad guy in part 2...I'm not so sure I would've gone that route, though I enjoy Heller as the main character in part 2.  I'd still bring back Mercer in some way in part 3... there's a way to do that while also having Heller as a playable character too. (*perhaps the "essence" of the Mercer creature is still alive within Heller at this point... so it's 1 physical body housing Heller *and* Mercer now....then you have some obvious inner-conflict with the character arising from that.... sometimes they're on the same page, sometimes not... that sort of thing.... occasionally "Mercer" may even take over at certain times.)

The revelation about "Mercer" in the first game is still one of my favorite moments of that era of gaming.  I guess I'll still spoiler-tag it...

Spoiler

When "Mercer" realizes that he or rather it is not the actual Alex Mercer.  The real Alex Mercer died that night, and he was the first person the virus absorbed and copied.... and this first "patient zero" copy was so exact that the creature went on thinking it's Alex Mercer, with all his memories, personality and everything.

What kinda sonic fan are you, purbeast?

Its like the first sonic game Ive been interested in since like the early 90's.  I do agree with RSG (think it was him who said it) that it would have looked better had they use a model of sonic like that of the movie character.  But its a video game so I dont really care that much.

All I noticed was some pop-in and maybe a bit of frame dropping...really not sure about that last one though. 

11 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

What kinda sonic fan are you, purbeast?

Its like the first sonic game Ive been interested in since like the early 90's.  I do agree with RSG (think it was him who said it) that it would have looked better had they use a model of sonic like that of the movie character.  But its a video game so I dont really care that much.

All I noticed was some pop-in and maybe a bit of frame dropping...really not sure about that last one though. 

It just looks so lifeless and boring. The world feels empty.  It just looks like a lot of random "things" they have in this empty world.

And now they are showing off a "boss" for the first time, and it's some cylinder mechanical spinny thing, yet another lifeless thing.  I don't think they could have made a more generic/boring boss.

It just looks very uninspiring/bland/empty/boring to me.

Edited by purbeast
1 hour ago, purbeast said:

It just looks very uninspiring/bland/empty/boring to me

It really really does.

Pretty much every hands on experience I’ve been reading about it from journalists have been saying the same thing while also saying:  “we want to say this game really sucks but we can’t outright say it sucks.”

So we’ll say there’s a lot of room for improvement and it’s up to sega to actually improve it in the ways it needs”

Edited by iStu X
17 minutes ago, iStu X said:

It really really does.

Pretty much every hands on experience I’ve been reading about it from journalists have been saying the same thing while also saying:  “we want to say this game really sucks but we can’t outright say it sucks.”

So we’ll say there’s a lot of room for improvement it’s up to sega to actually improve it in the ways it needs”

It still just looks like some sort of tech demo and nothing more.

Assassin's Creed is getting a 15 year anniversary livestream tomorrow

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/assassins-creed-celebration-live-stream-set-for-june-14

Reminder that Capcom Showcase is happening in 15 min

Edit: Is it just me or is capcom's frame rate in this stream ASS?

Vids

Spoiler

Lol...Capcom Mentioning Dragon's Dogma and celebrating the 10 year anniversary with videos of celebrating Dragon's Dogma.   They brought Itsuno on there for that?

Edit: Oh wow...they're giving RE8 a 3rd person mode AND making Lady D a person to play Mercenaries mode.

Edit:  They're actually showing a bit more gameplay of RE4.   Just more of the beginning when he first lands in Europe.  They said they redesigned the Ganados but didn't really say how but they're trying to keep what makes RE4 special.

Edit: RE 7, REmake 2, and REmake 3 are free updates for PS5 and Xbox Series systems if you have them on Xbone or PS4.

aaand that's it...was...kinda underwhelming.

Edited by Sonichuman

I hope Capcom doesn't tone down the cheesiness aspect of RE4, it's part of what makes that game such a gem in the series archives and the publisher portfolio 

I've heard they changed/removed some "" offensive"" moments for the VR version on Oculus already, though that could just be Facebook being pissy about dumb shit as always

5 hours ago, purbeast said:

It just looks so lifeless and boring. The world feels empty.  It just looks like a lot of random "things" they have in this empty world.

And now they are showing off a "boss" for the first time, and it's some cylinder mechanical spinny thing, yet another lifeless thing.  I don't think they could have made a more generic/boring boss.

It just looks very uninspiring/bland/empty/boring to me.

There are  Sonic Unleashed style of levels in the game as well. For whatever reason, Sega is not showing those off and is not allowing others to talk about it.

Edited by BornWinner
11 hours ago, PVL_93_RU said:

I hope Capcom doesn't tone down the cheesiness aspect of RE4, it's part of what makes that game such a gem in the series archives and the publisher portfolio

It looks in line with the other remakes so the cheesiness will definitely be gone. Leon is still carrying the trauma of Raccoon city so he's not going to be charismatic jokester he was in the original. They are also turning it into a horror game from the looks of it. 

I won't be surprised if the original version of RE4 disappears right before the remake is out... I think that's what happened with the GTA games, right?  Another Debbie Downer thing here--- I bet "Exoprimal" will be "online-only", as well.  Nothing these unbelievably anti-consumer, super-greedy ass companies does would be a surprise at this point.

1 hour ago, MillionX said:

I won't be surprised if the original version of RE4 disappears right before the remake is out... I think that's what happened with the GTA games, right?  Another Debbie Downer thing here--- I bet "Exoprimal" will be "online-only", as well.  Nothing these unbelievably anti-consumer, super-greedy ass companies does would be a surprise at this point.

I don't think that will happen. If it's anything like the remakes of 2 & 3 this will be a completely new game that uses RE4 as a template. GTA was a remaster that wanted to be a definitive version which is why the classics were pulled

1 minute ago, axeman61 said:

What's the track record on these remakes? I haven't played them (don't care for RE much beyond 4), but are they generally good enough to be hype for RE4 being remade in the same fashion?

The only truly negative thing I’ve heard about the REmakes is that in REmake 3 they cut a few locations from the original. Other than that pretty much universal praise. 

23 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

What's the track record on these remakes? I haven't played them (don't care for RE much beyond 4), but are they generally good enough to be hype for RE4 being remade in the same fashion?

The remakes are pretty good. The remakes of 3 is the one that has the most negativity. The criticisms of 3 being cut content from the original, Nemesis not being on par with his original version, removal of puzzles and the choice system (latter one pretty superficial as most of the choices largely didn't matter) and it's short length (the first playthrough is usually around 5 hours). 

3 is still a very good game. Just a disappointing one.

Misako and Kyoko announced to be in the River City Saga: 3 Kingdoms game

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/river-city-saga-three-kingdoms-adds-misako-and-kyoko-from-river-city-girls

House of the Dead remake getting physical edition release on Xbox and Playstation consoles

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/the-house-of-the-dead-remake-limidead-edition-coming-to-ps4-xbox-one-in-2022

Xbox seems to be doing an extended showcase today in 7 minutes...guess they're going to talk more about the games and show more information on what was announced/shown

From the description:

Are you ready for the Xbox Games Showcase Extended? Because, ready or not, it's right here ⬆⬆⬆ Catch some new trailers, deep looks at the news from the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase, and interviews with some top game creators.

NPD May 2022 numbers!

Hardware: After tiny bit of jockeying the past couple of months, Switch ended up being the top console for both units and dollar amounts again.  Switch is still the market leading platform year to date for hardware units sold while Xbox Series is highest dollar sales year to date.

There weren't too many highlights for last month but there's a couple here.  1st one being that Evil Dead charted and actually charted pretty well at no. 4.  The 2nd is that Switch Sports took over the Switch chart and actually managed to reach no. 3 overall.  Neither game was able topple Elden Ring or Lego Star Wars:TSS which apparently agreed to swap places this month.

Top 20 for the month:  Elden Ring, Lego Star Wars: TSS, Nintendo Switch Sports, Evil Dead, MLB The Show, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, CoD: Vanguard, MK8D, Gran Turismo 7, Pokemon Legends Arceus, Minecraft, Horizon FW, AC:NH, Smash Ultimate, CoD Blops CW, FIFA 22, Mario Party Superstars, Pokemon BD/SP, CoD MW 2019, Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Top 20 YTD: Elden Ring, Lego Star Wars: TSS, Pokemon Legends: Arceus, Horizon FW, MLB The Show, CoD: Vanguard, Gran Turismo 7, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, MK8D, Dat Madden 22, FIFA 22, Minecraft, Nintendo Switch Sports, Miles Morales, MH: Rise, Dying Light 2, AC: NH, Mario Party Superstarts, Smash Ultimate, CoD Blops CW

Rolling 12 months:  Elden Ring, CoD Vanguard, Dat Madden 22, Pokemon BD/SP, Lego Star Wars TSS, Battlefield 2042, FIFA 22, Far Cry 6, Pokemon Legends: Arceus, MK8D

Top 10 Nintendo:  Nintendo Switch Sports, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Lego Star Wars: TSS, MK8D, Pokemon Legends: Arceus, AC: NH, Smash Ultimate, Mario Party Superstars, Pokemon BD/SP, LoZ: BotW

Top 10 Playstation: MLB The Show 22, Elden Ring, Evil Dead, Lego Star Wars: TSS, Gran Turismo 7, Horizon FW, CoD: Vanguard, Miles Morales, GoTsu, Minecraft

Top 10 Xbox: Elden Ring, Lego Stars Wars: TSS, Evil Dead, CoD Vanguard, CoD Blops CW, FIFA 22, CoD MW 2019, CoD Blops III (god damn...there are 4 fucking CoD games on this top 10 list all at the same time), Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite.