Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I know I'm in the minority, but I am not finding the Shredder's Revenge game that great at all.  I just find it boring.  I have played both single player and with my son a bit.  It's just not fun to me and after a level or so I'm just pretty bored with it.  It's just repetitive but then again, all of these belt scrollers are.  I just don't enjoy them like I did when I was younger. 

I think I am near the end of story mode.

If you're not a fan of belt strollers I really don't see Shredders Revenge changing your mind on them. It's not that kind of game. 

Maybe Young Souls? It's a brawler rpg I found on the Switch Store last week during the sale. I haven't played it yet but I did wishlist it. It looks to be a brawler that mixes in more mechanics from other genres like RPGs. Might have more meat on its bones for you. 

Or not, really dunno lol. 

I played through Shredders Revenge on my trip and beat the story mode with Mikey. I replayed some of it with other characters, but I think I'd have more fun playing with other people.

Then I put Dread in and started hard mode. God damn, I forgot hope fucking good that game is. I only played through it once when it released last year so it's all kinda new again. Already got lost for a while, but then I remembered to shoot the ceiling. 

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

I played through Shredders Revenge on my trip and beat the story mode with Mikey. I replayed some of it with other characters, but I think I'd have more fun playing with other people.

Then I put Dread in and started hard mode. God damn, I forgot hope fucking good that game is. I only played through it once when it released last year so it's all kinda new again. Already got lost for a while, but then I remembered to shoot the ceiling. 

I bought it for my niece and everytime I visit she is asking for help in a different part.  I'm always so lost but it's fun with her

7 hours ago, Chadouken said:

Yeah I played it on 2 flights, both about 2 hours long, and after like 3-4 levels I was "done" with it and put it down.  

Legit just bought into the hype.  Glad I only paid $10 for it.

11 hours ago, purbeast said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I am not finding the Shredder's Revenge game that great at all.  I just find it boring.  I have played both single player and with my son a bit.  It's just not fun to me and after a level or so I'm just pretty bored with it.  It's just repetitive but then again, all of these belt scrollers are.  I just don't enjoy them like I did when I was younger. 

I'm having fun with it, but it's definitely playing on nostalgia for the old games and like those games, it's made for multiplayer. Those games are at their best when you have 3 other people in there mashing buttons with you, and while I haven't played this with anyone else yet, I imagine it's the same way.

Game is also too long. Imo a beat em up like that shouldn't be much more than 6 or 7 levels unless there's some other mechanic involved. I think I still prefer Turtles In Time to this game because that one feels more fluid and smooth, but SR is still a worthy successor.

Edited by DoctaMario
3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I don't find the length a problem at all because you can stop and pick it back up later in the same spot, cant do that in the old games they had to be one sitter quitters. 

There's an art to making lengthier best em ups. There has to be a lot of stage variety because if all it really is is you doing the same thing with a different background, it gets repetitive which is a problem I think TMNT has. Yeah, you can stop and pick it back up, but if you want to do that, the game isn't offering enough variety imo.

Double Dragon 2 on the NES is imo a really good example of a somewhat lengthy beat em up that doesn't feel long at all due to the variety of stages, enemies, and terrains.

9 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

There's an art to making lengthier best em ups. There has to be a lot of stage variety because if all it really is is you doing the same thing with a different background, it gets repetitive which is a problem I think TMNT has. Yeah, you can stop and pick it back up, but if you want to do that, the game isn't offering enough variety imo.

Double Dragon 2 on the NES is imo a really good example of a somewhat lengthy beat em up that doesn't feel long at all due to the variety of stages, enemies, and terrains.

I think kbthe stages themselves are too short for that to settle in. They are only like 3 to 5 minutes. Doesn't really feel any longer then any other best em up, most belt strollers stages are long, like 10 minute affairs. 

I don't have much experience with much Double Dragon beyond the first one, I find them pretty slow and clunky.  I would much rather play River City Ransom then any Double Dragon. 

Edited by RSG3
9 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Double Dragon 2 on the NES

River City Ransom on the NES is my favorite beat'em up of all time.  There's a real element of repetition, but between the depth of the fighting mechanics and character building with the rpg elements it never manages to feel stale.

EDIT---HAHAHA holy shit I MUST have that Captain Diarrhea game 😆

Double Dragon was *alright* back in the day... though I played the NES version more than the arcade... but part 2 was where it really became something great and memorable.  A major thing was that on the NES version, finally we had 2-player co-op which was not in the first game's NES version....so it was fun to finally have that little aspect of the arcade experience in a console version... also with that "A and B" option. (I think "B" was the option that allowed the players to hit each other; I never got the appeal of that unless you just want to fight your co-op buddy.)  Unfortunately, Double Dragon 3 was quite a disappointment....and way more difficult than the previous 2 games, imo....the graphics also seemed like a strange downgrade from part 2; I'm not sure what happened there.

Edited by MillionX
32 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I think kbthe stages themselves are too short for that to settle in. They are only like 3 to 5 minutes. Doesn't really feel any longer then any other best em up, most belt strollers stages are long, like 10 minute affairs. 

I don't have much experience with much Double Dragon beyond the first one, I find them pretty slow and clunky.  I would much rather play River City Ransom then any Double Dragon. 

You should check out Double Dragon 2, it's a pretty great game and a good example of a 2d beat em up done really well. NES version though, not the arcade.

27 minutes ago, Reticently said:

River City Ransom on the NES is my favorite beat'em up of all time.  There's a real element of repetition, but between the depth of the fighting mechanics and character building with the rpg elements it never manages to feel stale.

Agreed, I loved that game growing up. It was almost an open world game before open world games kind of like Simon's Quest is sort of proto-survival horror.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

You should check out Double Dragon 2, it's a pretty great game and a good example of a 2d beat em up done really well. NES version though, not the arcade.

I've played it before. I thought it was fine. Was some years ago tho. 

Edit: Got a new clear time in Dread. Think this was around 2 hours and some change faster then last time. 

20220625_124244.jpg

Here's my stat breakdown. 

20220625_124311.jpg

Edited by RSG3

haha I'll watch that Sonic Origins vid later... I'm always eager to see the latest story of "That Company" screwing up yet again....their very existence is always good comedy.

Steam sales are so ridiculous as usual----Geometry Wars Retro Evolved, which is already cheap to begin with is just 2 bucks at the moment... Vampyr is 7.99 and Metal Gear Rising is about 7.49, etc.... obviously I'll need to get a big SD card sooner rather than later....ideally a 1 TB, of course.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:23 PM, purbeast said:

I feel you on that. While I enjoy the game I've already had my fill. I grow bore of it quickly when playing by myself and I don't have a desire to master it. After finishing the campaign I wipe my hands of it. Only playing it if my friends want to do a run.

26 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I feel you on that. While I enjoy the game I've already had my fill. I grow bore of it quickly when playing by myself and I don't have a desire to master it. After finishing the campaign I wipe my hands of it. Only playing it if my friends want to do a run.

Do you feel SOR 4 was a better overall game?

The only thing that irked me with Streets of Rage 4 was that not everyone had a dash or run...that just makes those characters feel handicapped in comparison to the ones that have it.  Actually in any game now that I think of it... I always prefer having "fast movement" options like dashing and teleporting, running, etc.

The nitpick with Fight n Rage ---big # of unlockable characters...BUT you can't play them in the regular story mode....only the Vs. mode.  Once I found that out it killed my hype for unlocking new characters.  In story, you only get 3 main characters.  My favorite was the ninja, btw... the only one I beat the game with was the big bull character....heh, it's nice that he has a green skinned option, which makes him look like a variant of the Hulk....but yeah if you enjoy beatemup games, you NEED to get Fight n Rage, folks.  I wish all of them had that caliber of gameplay and combo action from here going forward.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, MillionX said:

The nitpick with Fight n Rage ---big # of unlockable characters...BUT you can't play them in the regular story mode....only the Vs. mode.  Once I found that out it killed my hype for unlocking new characters.  In story, you only get 3 main characters.  My favorite was the ninja, btw... the only one I beat the game with was the big bull character....heh, it's nice that he has a green skinned option, which makes him look like a variant of the Hulk....but yeah if you enjoy beatemup games, you NEED to get Fight n Rage, folks.  I wish all of them had that caliber of gameplay and combo action from here going forward.

I dropped about 100 hours into Fight N' Rage.  That game is so underrated, especially the combo/juggle system. I also really like that game has parries and consistent ways to punish if you are skilled enough.  I liked the bull the best because he could straight up bully most characters, even the bosses.  He has stupid amounts of priority.

3 hours ago, MillionX said:

The only thing that irked me with Streets of Rage 4 was that not everyone had a dash or run...that just makes those characters feel handicapped in comparison to the ones that have it.  Actually in any game now that I think of it... I always prefer having "fast movement" options like dashing and teleporting, running, etc.

Yeah, the enemy characters were pretty limited. But the 3 normal characters have a huge amount of depth if you're willing to get creative and put the time in. It's so much more complex than other brawlers, and I really like the way the difficulty was tuned- tough, but very doable as you get better at the game, and if you're skilled enough you could theoretically be untouchable. Also, the continue system is ideal for the genre; they're unlimited, but in the Castlevania sense (continuing restarts the level) so you can't just credit feed your way though. Perfect length with tons of branching paths and huge amounts of unlockables/modes really pushed the replay value through the roof as well. The one thing SoR4 has on it is its randomly generated survival mode DLC- other than that, FnR kicks the shit out of it.

Fir traditional level based games I really do think unlimited continues that throw you to stage start is the best system. Give the player lives with a checkpoint system to get good attempts at what's stumping them but when they lose all their lives they gotta redo the stage. It forces you to learn to be relatively consistent without being overly punishing. 

I also like limited continues but with a good and consistent way to earn more as you're skill increases. I think that's a good system overall as well. 

On 6/25/2022 at 1:18 PM, MillionX said:

Double Dragon was *alright* back in the day... though I played the NES version more than the arcade... but part 2 was where it really became something great and memorable.  A major thing was that on the NES version, finally we had 2-player co-op which was not in the first game's NES version....so it was fun to finally have that little aspect of the arcade experience in a console version... also with that "A and B" option. (I think "B" was the option that allowed the players to hit each other; I never got the appeal of that unless you just want to fight your co-op buddy.)  Unfortunately, Double Dragon 3 was quite a disappointment....and way more difficult than the previous 2 games, imo....the graphics also seemed like a strange downgrade from part 2; I'm not sure what happened there.

I dunno, I did manage to beat DD 3 way before I beat DD 2. Only the last stage in DD 3 really causes me any trouble with it's usual DD-platforming BS. But otherwise just pick Chin and plow through the game no prob LOL

I can NOW stroll through DD 2 quite consistently, but for the longest time, stage 8 (the Trap Room) was my fucking nightmare

1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Fight n Rage is a better beat'em up than TMNT:SR.  There are a number of beat'em ups that are better than TMNT:SR...SOR4 isnt one though.  🤣  Like I said before its an ok beat'em up that hits the nostalgia button hard.

Been blastin' through games.  Played these a couple/few days ago...or maybe a day ago.  I dunno.

Overall I liked TMNT:SR, I just feel like a few tweaks and the game could be way more solid.  They DEFINITELY need to add throw invincibility because accidently getting stuck in a throw animation and getting mauled is lame.

Picked up 30XX from the Steam sale. Much, much better than 20XX. They switched to pixel art that looks very X4-X5 styled (I don't normally get too hung up on graphics, but 20XX was butt ugly), the gameplay feels a lot better, and there's a more traditional mode where starting a new game where dying takes you back to stage select instead of restarting from scratch, which solves the most annoying part of rougelikes. Definitely recommended for MMX fans.

Putting together a new MAME PC right now to put into my KI2 cabinet.  I'm going to get rid of the pi3 I have in there because it can't play everything properly.  With the "new" PC I'm building, I'll be able to play KI1/2 and Blitz games, so that alone is a win.  It's crazy how I put together a PC for < $200 that can play all of these games so well lol.  And like $115 of that was an SSD and PSU.  

Main reason I'm doing it is because I'm looking to sell my KI1 and 2 boards to make a lot of $$$ to hopefully put towards another pinball machine, and I wanted to be sure I can still play those games if I do get rid of the boards.  It's going to be tough for me to get rid of them though, I just have an attachment to them lol.

When all said and done I'm hoping to have this front end in my cabinet.  Looks so fucking awesome.

Edited by purbeast

Edit:

I'll say this again...one thing things I really enjoy about having E3 is having just about everything contained in kind of like an injection straight into your veins.  All this stuff stretched out like this is eh and especially when it comes to trying to find out and guess when Nintendo is going to do stuff.  I'm hoping they're still going to do a full direct on the 29th like the rumors were saying earlier but I doubt it with this being announced.

Edited by Sonichuman
5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Good now people can stop crying about the Xenoblade 3 direct. Those people and the ones bitching about "too much" Fire Emblem are clearly dense. Three Houses dropped in 2019. That's the only proper FE game developed for Switch. Waiting three years for a crossover Musou game isn't flooding the market with the franchise.

There were some leaked screenshots for a new FE thats prob gonna get announced soon but even still people need to chill.  The only Nintendo fans that have any right to complain about anything right now are Starfox, F-zero, and Mother/earthbound with a slight argument for DK.  Everyone else needs to STFU.

1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

Don't even think DK fans cam complain, Retro has been feeding them for a couple years now. I feel like even with Dread, Metroid fans have more right to complain then DK fans. Where is even a fucking screen shot of Prime 4? 

Metroid fans atleast got a game last year and they know that one is on the way which is why I included them in the STFU cat.  DK hasn't had a new game in 8 years.

57 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Metroid fans atleast got a game last year and they know that one is on the way which is why I included them in the STFU cat.  DK hasn't had a new game in 8 years.

Nintendo did decide to put the DK guys to make an new Prime game when they were already done with that series.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

IIRC That someone was Bandai Namco. Why you would give a first person game to them is beyond me....

Def doesn't make sense looking at what Bandai Namco portfolio and what they've proven to be good at but I imagine since they have such a good working relationship and Retro was working on something else they probably asked them if they could handle it and Bandai thought they could.  I mean sometimes the only way to find out if something will work out is to give it a shot...Horizon Zero Dawn situation doesn't work out most of the time Guerrilla wouldn't have known until the put forth the effort.

1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

Naw I get to complain about where my Bayo 3 info at? And when am I getting my Advance Wars? 😁

Bayo 3 season is probably gonna start later half of this year if we get a trailer whenever the actual summer direct starts.  Last trailer was 9 months ago and from rumors I've seen and based on Nintendo's on release schedule thus far.  The game is still slated to come out this year.   If it gets a delay I'd only expect probably be a few months. 

Advance Wars is a big ??????? since the issue with Advance Wars ain't even development problem since as far as we are aware the game is DONE DONE.  It's literally sitting on the shelf not doing anything as far as we know.