Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Bernie Stolar, Former President of SoA and SCEA Co-Founder passes away at 75

https://www.ign.com/articles/bernie-stolar-former-president-of-sega-of-america-and-scea-co-founder-dies-at-75

This guy helped Playstation get Crash, Ridge Racer, Oddworld, Spyro, and Battle Arena Toshinden.  And also helped with launching the Dreamcast and also led the acquisition of Visual Concepts.  Apparently he left Sega after getting in 'an argument' with Japan which...sounds so much like Sega that it hurts.

I'm not going to lie. I mostly remember Stolar for shenanigans he pulled with the Saturn. Pressing like 10k copies of games like Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers. Only localizing 1 of the 3 parts of Shining Force. Him butting heads with SoJ is unsurprising. The Megadrive tanked in Japan and was a success in the US, yet SoJ was trying to tell Tom Kalinske (sp?) who was in charge of SoA at the time what to do. He got tired of their shit and left. I think Stolar was his successor. So them doing the same crap with him would not be unsurprising. At the end of the day, its just games though. RIP Bernie Stolar.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
On 6/26/2022 at 9:48 AM, Camacho said:

Have any of you who are playing that turtles game played Fight 'n Rage? Wondering how it stacks up, as I feel that title really took the genre to it's most refined and advanced point. 

I will say that it has. Also, the fact that the game was made practically by two people is insane. 

On 6/26/2022 at 2:07 PM, Camacho said:

Yeah, the enemy characters were pretty limited. But the 3 normal characters have a huge amount of depth if you're willing to get creative and put the time in. It's so much more complex than other brawlers, and I really like the way the difficulty was tuned- tough, but very doable as you get better at the game, and if you're skilled enough you could theoretically be untouchable. Also, the continue system is ideal for the genre; they're unlimited, but in the Castlevania sense (continuing restarts the level) so you can't just credit feed your way though. Perfect length with tons of branching paths and huge amounts of unlockables/modes really pushed the replay value through the roof as well. The one thing SoR4 has on it is its randomly generated survival mode DLC- other than that, FnR kicks the shit out of it.

Can't disagree with anything here. I will say that flying enemies in FnR were a pain. 

On 6/26/2022 at 3:52 PM, Faltimar the Dark said:

Fight n Rage is a better beat'em up than TMNT:SR.  There are a number of beat'em ups that are better than TMNT:SR...SOR4 isnt one though.  🤣  Like I said before its an ok beat'em up that hits the nostalgia button hard.

I'd have to agree. I got it based on the hype. It's certainly a solid title but I've played better. 

On 6/26/2022 at 5:17 PM, J-ride said:

Overall I liked TMNT:SR, I just feel like a few tweaks and the game could be way more solid.  They DEFINITELY need to add throw invincibility because accidently getting stuck in a throw animation and getting mauled is lame.

Something that made me almost throw my controller is when you are in the "super armor" state, it drops your combo count if you are hit.  

I've never really seen or played Live A Live and only recently became aware of it in recent years through people talking about its music.  I'm watching the Treehouse gameplay right now and I gotta say...this game looks fun and interesting.  Also this music I'm hearing right now...I get why people talk about it music wise (Dat Sax!).  I'm probably not gonna buy the game Day 1 unfortunately cause I got other fish I gotta fry right now game wise plus I gotta try to get prepared for Xenoblade 3 next month but I'll probably check this game out at some point in the future.  I hope this game gets the exposure it needs though.

Horizon TV show gets a name, called Horizon 2074

https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-tv-series-called-horizon-2074

I'm super intrigued.  Show is implied to take place before Horizon 1 right before the cause of Humanity's extinction.  I think that's a perfect place to have the show personally. 

Edit:

Edited by Sonichuman

So I've been doing a hard run through FF7R so I can both re experience the story and also fully max out the characters weapons cause you can't get some of the manuscripts for the weapons without playing through it on hard.   A friend of mine said he had trouble with the Hell House boss fight and my expectations for the fight were "it's just going to do a fuck ton of damage to go along with the chaos more than likely".  THIS MOTHER FUCKER...WITHIN 5 SECONDS OF THE FIGHT SHITS OUT 3 GOD DAMN TONBERRIES ONTO THE THE ARENA.  I had to pause the game for a moment to recollect myself cause I was definitely having a "FUCK ME...WHERE DID I GO WRONG IN LIFE TO GET TO THIS POINT?" moment.  Got my ass bodied to me the first try within a minute.  I'm gonna have to re tackle this fight tomorrow.

Tried this game out the other day.  Its pretty dope.  For some reason I didnt realize/know it was rogue style shit but I dont mind that.  I like those kinda games.

This is sorta neat for PS4 Elden Ring players - https://wololo.net/2022/06/29/it-is-now-possible-to-mod-elden-ring-for-ps4-easy-mod-release-by-lapy/

Its not much at the moment but I bet some cool mods come out eventually. 

12 minutes ago, Wellman said:

The new Star Ocean game looks like a prettier version of Xenoblade Chronicles X character models with those doll faces. I sort of like the series so I hope it does well despite that.

The last Star Ocean wasn't very good or at least people didn't think it was, and the characters all looked like Live Dolls...

Edited by RSG3

i like star ocean but a part of me will always wonder how it keeps rising up like the undertaker.  star ocean 2 couldn't have that much good will to keep the franchise going over like radiata stories or valkyrie profile. although we are getting a new valkyrie game its not a valkyrie profile game. i hope it won't be some monkey paw shit tho.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Honestly? I don't think SE actually cares about Kingdom Hearts... like at all. They just shit out slap dash games for the most part and call it a day. Nomura forgot half of what he was writing. They don't care. 

Yoko Taro actually gives a fuck about the shit he makes. 

This. Yoko and those behind the recent Nier titles seem to want the games to be decent. KH, I know they care but it seems like those in charge don't give a damn unless it is a current project and that maybe due to all the Disney stuff they have to get signed off if they make changes.

59 minutes ago, Wellman said:

This. Yoko and those behind the recent Nier titles seem to want the games to be decent. KH, I know they care but it seems like those in charge don't give a damn unless it is a current project and that maybe due to all the Disney stuff they have to get signed off if they make changes.

I bet the Disney Angle is a huge issue for development. They have to cross almost everything off with Disney before they can use it. They wanted to use Walt in KH1 and where denied. I bet SE had no fucking clue the IP monster they where getting into bed with when it came to KH. They didn't realize that Disney has a massive iron grip on all their IPs, you don't get to write Donald Duck Fan Fiction unsupervised with these guys. SE would probably like nothing more then for KH to nose dive into the ground in terms of popularity so they can move on from The Mouse. Cant tho because series is probably more popular then it has ever been lol. Kids grew up on that shit, you stuck now SE lol.

Edit: Man they really dont care. Look at the unique KH title they shit out for Nintendo Switch. Memory of Melody? Cuz there is nothing KH fans on Switch would want more then an ENTIRE game of KHII Atlantis. Yea that math adds up.

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

https://www.thegamer.com/nier-automata-on-switch/

Yeah...Gonna have to ask how they were able to do this but not do this with KH.

The KH answer is simple. Square just didn't try. They could have handed it off to Panic Button, Saber Interactive, or any of number devs that could have taken care of it. Does it say who handled the Neir port? It looks like the port developer actually optimized the game code. Nier on console and especially PC ran worse than it should have given the fidelity of the game. Whoever did the port probably just did the extra work that P* didn't.

24 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I wonder if they even had the time or money to do that. Those Nier games are so fucking budget...

Yeah you are right man. The Automata did so well I forgot that it was a surprise hit. Going back my criticism of SE. Most of the KH games were on weaker hardware than the Switch originally. So it's really just poor form and a lack of effort on their part. Which is crazy because I know they at least tried to get FFXV running on Switch. They couldn't get the Luminous Engine to run well on the platform. Which is part of the reason they made the switch, no pun intended, to Unreal Engine.

Edit: This shit is funny.

xekijlnnwg891.jpg

Edited by Darc_Requiem
4 hours ago, nickmanx5 said:

radiata stories

One of my favorite PS2 RPG’s. For me it felt a lot like what Chrono Cross should have been. Not in terms of story or setting but battle system and character recruitment. 

4 hours ago, nickmanx5 said:

star ocean 2 couldn't have that much good will to keep the franchise going

I’m still waiting for them to retcon SO3. 

6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

The last Star Ocean wasn't very good or at least people didn't think it was, and the characters all looked like Live Dolls...

SO5 was horrifically bad. It was a glitchy mess and genuinely unstable and could barely run. The combat was also really trash. I had a friend that unfortunately got the $250 limited edition. 😂

the new star ocean looks fantastic. I’m so excited. 

re Kingdom Hearts: I’ve mentioned this before but I absolutely use to love Kingdom Hearts. Growing up it was probably in my top 5 favorite gaming series. The only misses they really had for the longest time was 358/2 and ReCoded for DS. Those games were ass. There’s a reason the HD collections made them into visual novel type movies. 

But Dream drop distance was when they lost me. The story felt totally unnecessary. The dream eater/nightmare thing was absolutely stupid. The game was heavily promoted with the fact the world end with you characters would be a huge part of the plot and they absolutely weren’t. The combat got waaaaay too floaty and felt erratic and nonsensical. 

Ultimately the thing that killed kingdom hearts for me was the big reveal that Xehanort was able to master time travel magic and had been able plotting every main characters coarse from day one. 

I don’t want or need a time traveling palpatine in my game where Disney and Square Enix characters fuck. It’s what ruined the entire franchise for me. 

It also just kinda snowballed from there. Nomura openly admitting he didn’t remember what characters he introduced or why, why he abandoned certain plot threads, the fact the entire cast had to look at Pepe Silva level cork boards to figure out wtf there characters are even doing because the writing is so fucking dumb and convoluted. The seemingly endless delays of KH3 only for it to be one of the most disappointing games of the PS4/Xbox One generation. Just everything. It’s so dumb.

The fan base for the game is even worse. They’re all yaoi shipping weirdos. 

Edited by iStu X
5 minutes ago, iStu X said:

It also just kinda snowballed from there. Nomura openly admitting he didn’t remember what characters he introduced or why, why he abandoned certain plot threads, the fact the entire cast had to look at Pepe Silva level quark boards to figure out wtf there characters are even doing because the writing is so fucking dumb and convoluted. The seemingly endless delays of KH3 only for it to be one of the most disappointing games of the PS4/Xbox One generation. Just everything. It’s so dumb.

This right here for me. It showed me he didnt care, so i stopped caring to. I moved onto series with continuity and writers who cared.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

I wonder if they even had the time or money to do that. Those Nier games are so fucking budget...

It's always annoying to me how a major studio can't get a decent port but some guy in his free time can make a Godlike patch that runs flawlessly.  FROM Software's PC releases are a great example of this in action.  The Dark Souls HD patch IIRC was done by just some random fan.

Edited by J-ride
5 minutes ago, J-ride said:

It's always annoying to me how a major studio can't get a decent port but some guy in his free time can make a Godlike patch that runs flawlessly.  FROM Software's PC releases are a great example of this in action.  The Dark Souls HD patch IIRC was done by just some random fan.

I dunno about any HD packs, budget for that would fall under NamcoBandai to comission. With that said 1 fan fixed DS1s terrible frame rate and performance and bunch of other shit the day the PC port of DS1 came out.

With all that said, as much as i adore Fromsoft, in all honesty they are not the strongest programming engineers. They spent 30 years programming for closed systems and then tried to port Dark Souls to an open one themselves, and as I said they aren't the best programmers. They make awesome shit, but their games are also pretty jank in a lot of places. I give them a pass on that one, and they have gotten better with each new release. I mean someone has a patch of Bloodborne on PS4 running at 60 fps when it runs at 30 for everyone else. Fromsoft are wonderful artists, but they arent the best programmers.

The real question is why does your post also apply perfectly to fucking Bethesda who have been working on open systems for 40 years and they still dont seem to know what the fuck QA is.

Edited by RSG3
5 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

https://www.thegamer.com/nier-automata-on-switch/

Yeah...Gonna have to ask how they were able to do this but not do this with KH.

Simple, both games run on different engines.

With Nier running on the Platinum's engine that is already optimized to run on nintendo consoles.

Then also add that with disney co owning  KH, is very likely that is less costly and time consuming for them to make a digital port than a native one, since it involves less work they need to send for approval and very likely has a different kind of deal in place that allows them to not have to renegotiate the release like adding a new sdk.

This is pure speculation, but i can see the games being released as cloud versions to be considered as part of the same deal of the version for stadia and any other potential cloud/streaming services.

13 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

same deal of the version for stadia and any other potential cloud/streaming services.

This reminds me of an article I read the other day. I can’t remember when but I remember reading it shortly after Xbox’s “not E3” summer showcase. 

almost every 3rd party title shown were originally stadia developed titles but when google realized the stadia was a bust they basically sold the unfinished projects off to the highest bidders so they could be finished 

Edited by iStu X