Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Just finished the book "Disrupting the Game" by Reggie Fils-Aime, the former President of Nintendo of America. It was a interesting read about Reggie's work experiences and the many different projects he was involved with. Roughly half of the book is focused on his time with Nintendo, including his time with Iwata. He did a great job explaining his mindset with each job and how his expectations help frame his career.

32 minutes ago, Jurassic said:

Just finished the book "Disrupting the Game" by Reggie Fils-Aime, the former President of Nintendo of America. It was a interesting read about Reggie's work experiences and the many different projects he was involved with. Roughly half of the book is focused on his time with Nintendo, including his time with Iwata. He did a great job explaining his mindset with each job and how his expectations help frame his career.

Does it have a chapter about Mother 3?

1 hour ago, Jurassic said:

I haven’t had to motivation to finish it but I really liked what I’ve read of it so far. 

God damn Switch Pro rumors running rampant again.  SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD...

angry my hero academia GIF by Funimation

If nothing comes of this this go round I'm gonna start putting SHUT THE FUCK UP every time it shows up in my twitter feed.  Nintendo not even helping matter either since they blatantly dodged the question last time someone asked them about it and now they've put both the Nintendo Switch OLED and Lite announcement trailers on private for some reason.

Speaking of that, I've seen the OLED Switch systems in stores more often in the past 2 weeks or so... like everyone has received a new shipment.  I'm very much tempted to get one even though my original works just fine... but I've also spent quite a bit lately on games, movies and shows (physical media; best to get them now while it's still possible to do so)  The other little thing that's a bit annoying is that I don't look forward to the process of moving all my games over to the new system; I'm sure that probably takes quite a while since I have a lot of them. (*though usually I got the physical version if that was an option)

Meanwhile on Steam Deck though... I also notice that the Senran Kagura games are on Steam...1 or 2 of them are on sale, actually....oh yeah I'm probably getting those too.  My Steam/PC game collection is sure to be an insane # very soon.  Every time I browse the store it's just constant "ooooh I'll have to get that....and that...and definitely that right there....ooh..." like a kid running wild in a toy store in the 80s. 

Started a new playthrough of Dragon's Dogma. Couldn't tell you how many times I've done so over the last 10 years, but man, it's still really fun with the right classes and skills. Eager to see what gets improved in DD2- really wanting more enemy variety, better pawn AI, and the challenge to be more skill than stat based, though hopefully not to the From Software degree of constant one shots and a gimp player character. 

Edited by Camacho
45 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Speedrunner for the MGR DLC during VGDQ got DQ'd after it was found out that he put up prerecorded footage.

https://www.ign.com/articles/metal-gear-rising-speedrun-removed-fake-sgdq-pre-recorded-video

Ubisoft Forward is coming in September

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/07/ubisoft-forward-set-for-september-10-featuring-multiple-games

square is coming out swinging this year. 

11 hours ago, MillionX said:

Speaking of that, I've seen the OLED Switch systems in stores more often in the past 2 weeks or so... like everyone has received a new shipment.  I'm very much tempted to get one even though my original works just fine... but I've also spent quite a bit lately on games, movies and shows (physical media; best to get them now while it's still possible to do so)  The other little thing that's a bit annoying is that I don't look forward to the process of moving all my games over to the new system; I'm sure that probably takes quite a while since I have a lot of them. (*though usually I got the physical version if that was an option)

Meanwhile on Steam Deck though... I also notice that the Senran Kagura games are on Steam...1 or 2 of them are on sale, actually....oh yeah I'm probably getting those too.  My Steam/PC game collection is sure to be an insane # very soon.  Every time I browse the store it's just constant "ooooh I'll have to get that....and that...and definitely that right there....ooh..." like a kid running wild in a toy store in the 80s. 

If you have an OG Switch, mod it and sell it modded.  It was basically an even swap for me to go from my OG launch Switch to OLED after doing that.

46 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Loooooollllll

Yo that switch is pretty af. Kinda mad about grabbing mine last year now. 9/9/22 for the release date of Splat 3. Not bad too. I’ll likely pass on it. I didn’t play much of Splat 2 to be honest 

also…we have a switch thread. 💔 

Started a run of Streets Of Rage 4 and this is a much better and deeper game than TMNT. I like TMNT, it's fun, but I think it was made to be simple and something ySoRoy could just pick up and play & have a good time with without having to put much effort into learning anything. SoR has more meat there in terms of the combat and the enemy variety is a lot better too.

Is it possible to play Battle Mode single player or is it a multiplayer only type of deal?

6 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Started a run of Streets Of Rage 4 and this is a much better and deeper game than TMNT. I like TMNT, it's fun, but I think it was made to be simple and something ySoRoy could just pick up and play & have a good time with without having to put much effort into learning anything. SoR has more meat there in terms of the combat and the enemy variety is a lot better too.

Is it possible to play Battle Mode single player or is it a multiplayer only type of deal?

100% agree. SOR I've poured hours into. The entire game has enough variance to keep me coming back to. TMNT is a great button masher and enjoyed the time spent, but it's not something that I desire to give a ton of time to. 

Anyone have any suggestions for some more recent (doesn't HAVE to be though) Switch games they would recommend to play on some upcoming flights?

I am more into metroidvania types or action/adventure games.  Not into RPG in the least.  I also got Shredder's Revenge for my previous flights and not really a fan.

Looking to grab a game tonight for my flights tomorrow.

2 hours ago, HD-Man said:

For some reason I was expecting Valkyrie Elysium to play like Valkyrie Profile but I'm NOT mad at what I did see tho. Definitely got my eyes on it 

Slight mixed bag for me on it because I love action games but VP2 had such a cool combat system with room for growth so....

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Anyone have any suggestions for some more recent (doesn't HAVE to be though) Switch games they would recommend to play on some upcoming flights?

I am more into metroidvania

There's a Metroid game called Metroid that you can download from NSO, and I think there's also a Castlevania game called Castlevania as well.

Edit: I believe you may be limited to only 7 days of playing those games offline, though. But they should get you through your flight no problem.

Edited by Chadouken
1 minute ago, Chadouken said:

There's a Metroid game called Metroid that you can download from NSO, and I think there's also a Castlevania game called Castlevania as well.

Edit: I believe you may be limited to only 7 days of playing those games offline, though. But they should get you through your flight no problem.

Want to play something I haven't played though...

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Slight mixed bag for me on it because I love action games but VP2 had such a cool combat system with room for growth so....

That's probably like one of my favorite turn based RPG battle systems ever (never played the 2nd game tho). It's for that reason I ended up buying Indivisible 

23 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

That's probably like one of my favorite turn based RPG battle systems ever (never played the 2nd game tho). It's for that reason I ended up buying Indivisible 

You need to play VP2, its the firsts combat system but in a 3D Arena you can dash around in for strategic positioning, and the developers added breakable parts to enemies, so you can say dash behind and break the tail off a dragon and not only do you get a unique drop for this, but now the dragon can no longer attack you with its tail. Pretty much every single enemy in the game has breakable parts to exploit. Its so much fun.

@purbeastHave you played Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth yet? Metroidvania with an element polarity system.

Steel Assault is a level based platformer not a Metroidvania one but its only 8 bucks right now and looks like something 90's Konami/Treasure would have made.

Castlevania Advanced Collection is one sale right now for 13 bucks, dunno if you've played all 3 of those or not.

Vigil The Longest Night is 13 bucks, its a Metroidvania, i havent played it tho so no opinion on it. On sale tho.

Im gonna go off rails for this last recommendation and say you should get the shmup Aqua Kitty UDX, its on sale for less then 3 dollars, its a Defender Style Shmup where you can fly left or right and have to rescue cargo/kittys like you would in Defender or Resogun. It has a very very charming art style involving cats in submarines, has a lot of content to dig into (This is the Director Cut sorta release of the game) and is a charming little shmup to kill time with. Its not one of those bullet hell games, its an older school affair then that, but still really fun.

Edit: Heres a Bullet Heaven review of it.

Edited by RSG3
24 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Oh word. Well there's also a Metroid game called Super Metroid and a Castlevania game called Super Castlevania. They have like, twice as many bits as the non-super versions.

Perhaps you can't read lol, but again, I'm looking for something I haven't played.

Also looking for games that came out after I could drive.

Edited by purbeast
11 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

You need to play VP2, its the firsts combat system but in a 3D Arena you can dash around in for strategic positioning, and the developers added breakable parts to enemies, so you can say dash behind and break the tail off a dragon and not only do you get a unique drop for this, but now the dragon can no longer attack you with its tail. Pretty much every single enemy in the game has breakable parts to exploit. Its so much fun.

@purbeastHave you played Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth yet? Metroidvania with an element polarity system.

Steel Assault is a level based platformer not a Metroidvania one but its only 8 bucks right now and looks like something 90's Konami/Treasure would have made.

Edit: Heres a Bullet Heaven review of it.

Castlevania Advanced Collection is one sale right now for 13 bucks, dunno if you've played all 3 of those or not.

Vigil The Longest Night is 13 bucks, its a Metroidvania, i havent played it tho so no opinion on it. On sale tho.

Im gonna go off rails for this last recommendation and say you should get the shmup Aqua Kitty UDX, its on sale for less then 3 dollars, its a Defender Style Shmup where you can fly left or right and have to rescue cargo/kittys like you would in Defender or Resogun. It has a very very charming art style involving cats in submarines, has a lot of content to dig into (This is the Director Cut sorta release of the game) and is a charming little shmup to kill time with. Its not one of those bullet hell games, its an older school affair then that, but still really fun.

Thanks for those suggestions.  I am going to look into the Deedlit game.  I'm looking for longer games than SHMUPs to like something I can just get lost in for a couple hours on a flight.

I also haven't finished Hollow Knight and am like 10 hours in, but my fear is since I haven't played it in like 2 years I will have absolutely no clue where the hell to go.  I loved that game and just never got back to it following a vacation years ago.

In regards to Hollow Knight ill say that might not be an issue since you basically never know where you're supposed to go in that game...aimless wandering is the name of the game there. I get what you are saying tho, I would probably start a new game regardless.

Aqua Kitty is actually pretty long, just FYI. Was just a random suggestion cuz its good and on sale.

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I am more into metroidvania types or action/adventure games.  Not into RPG in the least.  I also got Shredder's Revenge for my previous flights and not really a fan.

Looking to grab a game tonight for my flights tomorrow.

Have you tried The Mummy demastered? It's a metroidvania developed by way forward. It's pretty unique in that it's also a run and gun shooter. It's a great game