Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

16 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah that game had Gacha levels of grind. You'd have a weapon that was like 32,000 meseta and battles would net you like 500 or 600 meseta. But you have 4 party members, some of which dual weld, and then you had similarly priced armor upgrades. There is a reason I still remember the music in that game despite not touching it in decades 😑

*Ragnarok Online enters the chat*

I honestly dont think grinding has been a central focus of RPGs for...fucking years now. You kind of have to seek out grind based RPGs these days. Not saying RPGs dont have grinding because they do, but as a major focus of the experience? I dunno, seems like that shit went away a long time ago, and games that did have that focus either turned into Gacha companies, or doubled down on being hardcore dungeon crawlers. RPGs from my exp these days are a lot more about character/team builds, and decision making.

Seems there is some sort of Square Enix/Avengers discussion going on that I may have missed. So skewer me if I have the context wrong, I'm being a bad little boy posting at work. The Avengers is 100% Square Enix's fault. They took single player narrative driven developer and put them on games as a service title. They turned around and did the exact same thing with Babylon's Fall. They jammed a square, no pun intended, peg into a round hole and wondered why things with side ways. Square completely mismanaged their western studios and  compounded things by selling them for a minimum of a tenth of what they were worth to invest in NFT/Block Chain. 🤣

Edited by Darc_Requiem

i actually don't think i mind grinding in a jrpg i think i enjoy it in like dragon quest games. i don't even mind random encounters unless it's like the 3rd shadow hearts game where not only is there one every 5 steps every single one feels like im fighting for my god damn life.

what really gets me is when i play old stuff that doesn't have maps and everything is a hallway that looks the same cause that shit fucks with my adhd man i might get distracted by something and forget which way i was going a get lost for like an hour.

Edited by nickmanx5
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Seems there is some sort of Square Enix/Avengers discussion going on that I may have missed. So skewer me if I have the context wrong, I'm being a bad little boy posting at work. The Avengers is 100% Square Enix's fault. They took single player narrative driven developer and put them on games as a service title. They turned around and did the exact same thing with Babylon's Fall. They jammed a square, no pun intended, peg into a round hole and wondered why things with side ways. Square completely mismanaged their western studios and  compounded things by selling them for a minimum of a tenth of what they were worth to invent in NFT/Block Chain. 🤣

Naw bro it was the stupid developers being stupid and doing stupid things because their stupid stupid, Couldn't possibly be SE being SE, that NEVER happens. SE would never force a dev who makes single player games to make a multi-player live service game no one wanted. SE would never force a dumb as fuck pre-order bonus system that mimics crowed funding. They would never force a hugely narrative driven sequel to ditch its last 3rd of development to force a shallow time attack online leader board side game that has fuck all to do with anything in the main game and then blame the games poor performance to halt more development of the IP, no they would never do anything that would completely sabotage their western studios, that's not SE.

*sarcasm*

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Yea, that's the predictable response from you. 

Nah, is that I find humorous that you stupidly think that is ok that companies should be mocking their customers.

But I assume that it could be that you misunderstood what I said that " they deserve to be mocked by other gamers for falling for the obvious shit game" for gamers mocking the studio, when giving the context, Is implied that gamers who fell for that shit of a game deserve to be mocked by other gamers, but not by the company.

Since even if it was clear that the game was going to be shit, the customer has the right to ask for the product to be fixed.

Like Stu said, the devs have been mocking their playerbase, and that is not ok.

Is not that they have been mocking the obnoxious minority, but have been pretty dismissing of the valid criticism and suggestions on how to make the game better.

Is that they have been disingenuous of the player base, and clearly have contempt not only for them but for the product, and I don't blame them for the later, but they can't expect to keep on business by clearly showing that they don't care for either.

18 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Nah, is that I find humorous that you stupidly think that is ok that companies should be mocking their customers.

And I find it humorous you will excuse any and all behavior from a consumer base no matter how toxic and gross they behave. You are not entitled to being fillated because you spend money. You are not entitled to any kind of specific response from a creative just because you enjoy their work. I'm sorry but consumers can and tend to be super fucking entitled. You're basically telling us right now that Karen's should be listened to because they are customers. 

Nope fuck that. You're all or nothing position on this is really dumb. Gamers who fell and continue to fall for that shit should be mocked by gamers and the developers forced to make that tripe in equal measure. You know if people stopped falling for that crap great developers like CD and Eidos Montreal wouldn't be forced to make this stupid garbage because it wouldn't sell. If I was a developer forced to make an obvious cash grab loot box bullshit live service piece of shit and you all bought it anyway I'd mock the fuck outta you. It's your fault my boss keeps making me make that dog shit. 

18 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Like Stu said, the devs have been mocking their playerbase, and that is not ok.

Hard disagree if their audience is being ridiculous they deserve to be mocked. You're not above board just because you're a consumer. This mindset breeds Karen's. 

I would have contempt for a player base so damn dumb they think there is anything thats going to fix Avengers. It was made to siphon money, all SE and Marvel clearly wanted was Siphon money. There is no fixing it because SE doesn't want to fix it. Its not up to CD and Eidos Montreal to decide how to fix it. They've made enough games to know how to have not broke the fucking thing in the first place. Square Enix made them do this shit, it's a game developed by a board of committee men. 

This is like giving Blizzard ideas for how to fix Diablo Immortal...You're clearly missing the entire fucking point.

Edited by RSG3

Yup, I'm lookin' forward to that shit.  Robocop cheese better be good in the game.  https://store.steampowered.com/app/1681430/RoboCop_Rogue_City/

7 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Holy shit, have you guys played the Avengers game? It's fucking AWESOME! I just bought it and I'm having a blast. I started with Hulk 💪

If anyone wants to fuck shit up with me, I have it on PS5.

If you send me a PS5 and the game I'll play it with you...for like 15 minutes.

Seems there is some sort of Square Enix/Avengers discussion going on that I may have missed. So skewer me if I have the context wrong, I'm being a bad little boy posting at work. The Avengers is 100% Square Enix's fault. They took single player narrative driven developer and put them on games as a service title. They turned around and did the exact same thing with Babylon's Fall. They jammed a square, no pun intended, peg into a round hole and wondered why things with side ways. Square completely mismanaged their western studios and  compounded things by selling them for a minimum of a tenth of what they were worth to invent in NFT/Block Chain. 🤣

With Babylons Fault it seems that it was Platinum's plan to have it as a live service from the start, and not Square.

Apparently since the failure of making Scalebound a thing, Platinum has been trying to prove themselves that they can make a live service/online connected game.

https://jpgames.de/2022/02/interview-with-kenji-saito-and-takahisa-sugiyama-on-babylons-fall-from-platinumgames/

The reason why there was a  misunderstanding, it was because they couldn't show the online component when they revealed it.

But given how Square has been operating lately, it was easy to assume that it was Square forcing a project to become a live service on the middle of the development.

I assume that the inexperience with online games and their aging technology didn't help with making BF a success.

You can see that there is some good ideas on the game, but at the same time, there seems to be a clash on design philosophies, since they are trying to make a Platinum game while also trying to balance it (poorly) for online play.

I guess that is why they recycled a lot of FFXIV equipment for the game, as a way to bolster the content, while they focused on making an online game.

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

And I find it humorous you will excuse any and all behavior from a consumer base

And I find stupid that you assume and conflate me saying that a company shouldn't be mocking their customers as that I excuse the the bad behaviour of bad actors.

That is some reaching levels that not even Reed Richards is capable of, lmao.

Babylons Fall kinda looked like a mess from jump. I'm honestly not sure how well Platinums game design would really work in an online environment. They tend to be very fast with relatively tight input windows, online lag will just fuck with all of that immediately. Was kind of an issue with Anarchy Reigns for example. 

I also think a big part of that tho is that Japan is way way behind most the rest of the world when it comes to developing strong net code and it effects their games pretty hard. 

12 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Nonsense, Reed can reach clear across the universe, I'm just a normal man commenting on what I see. 

Nah, you are trying to argue with me about shit I didn't say, based on your already preconceived position on what the player base does/or ask, based on a mere generalization that all the player base is being ridiculous.

Most of he criticism that the game has got has gone beyond of whatever reductive stuff you are thinking the player base has said or asked for.

Is not far fetched for the player base to ask for improvements on the game, like fixing the online component that is still busted to this date, the instability issues that make the game crash or have game breaking bugs, the mission structure, the changes on experience gains that they stealthy added to make the game more grindy, etc, or to ask for making cosmetics that are not just recolorsof what is already on the game and worst versions of what they are taking inspiration from (yeah, I still find baffling that people want to spend money on a game like M:A, but i digress.)

Is absurd that Crystal Dynamics pretends for the game to improve while insulting and ignoring valid pleas from the people they are still trying to sell the game and sell the content on their store shop.

So lets not pretend that they insulting the customers is a good thing.

Edited by Hecatom
9 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Babylons Fall kinda looked like a mess from jump. I'm honestly not sure how well Platinums game design would really work in an online environment. They tend to be very fast with relatively tight input windows, online lag will just fuck with all of that immediately. Was kind of an issue with Anarchy Reigns for example. 

I also think a big part of that tho is that Japan is way way behind most the rest of the world when it comes to developing strong net code and it effects their games pretty hard. 

I assume that the reason why they lagged behind on developing more optimal netcodes until recently is because their infrastructure and the size of the country didn't force them into focusing on that.

7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Aight guys chill out before misterbee does a superhero landing from the heavens to mediate 🙃

I love it when he does his Homelander impressions tho. 

I think we are being pretty chill regardless. We aren't caps shouting or calling eqchither names. I think stupid people deserve to be mocked by everyone and anyone who bought Avengers and continues to buy shit for it should be mocked, by everyone. He disagrees. I think proposing fixes for a game that isn't broken but is in fact working as intended deserves mockery. SE never had any intentions of fixing Avengers, it was working as intended, just SE sucks at almost everything so they made their devs do it badly. We all knew Avengers was going to suck from the very first trailer, every single one of us called it, every single one of us could tell those where the Avengers you get off of Wish. 

We have a fundamental disagreement about the duty creatives have to their consumers. 

I'm not sure he's completely understanding me either but I don't think it's remotely far fetched for fans to ask for improvements on a game, I think it's dumb as fuck to ask for them in a game that has shown time and again its working as intended. They keep calling "features" a mistake, naw man it's supposed to be grind. It's supposed to be tedious. Its supposed to be dull and boring. It's designed to make you want to spend cash. That's the entire point. It's why it has no real end game, they just want you to keep fruitlessyly grinding. It's one thing to ask for improvements on a product clearly cared for and has passion behind it and another thing to ask them for a product designed from the ground up to siphon your money. It's a game designed for Whales. That's the whole fucking point. 

Edited by RSG3
37 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I assume that the reason why they lagged behind on developing more optimal netcodes until recently is because their infrastructure and the size of the country didn't force them into focusing on that.

Yes I agree completely, and that mindset will completely fuck you over when making sn online game for the world stage. Japan has to wake up to the fact the vast majority of the world is far larger and spread out then their little island. 

16 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I think it's dumb as fuck to ask for them in a game that has shown time and again its working as intended.

But the game is not working as intended 🤣

And I am not talking about the "features" that they clearly have there to siphon money.

I am talking about the broken state of the game, as a product, the stuff that even if it wasn't a live service, would be unaceptable.

Regardless of what we think of the game or its players and that if they deserve mockery, I firmly believe that a studio/company/devs shouldn't be mocking the playerbase.

Is bad for business, even if the intent is to mock the bad actors (which they have not, since it has been directed at the whole playerbase) it is only detrimental for them in the long run, they are only soiling the relationship between them and any current and future target market.

11 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Is bad for business

That's exactly why CD and Eidos should do it. Drive people away from this dog shit product so SE and others will stop trying to make them. Drive people away from these horrible products, you're doing them a favor lol. Makes these types of games undesirable for everyone.

200.gif

Edited by RSG3

I finally got to play and finish the Resident Evil 3 remake. The original Re3 on PS1 was my least favorite of the ps1 trilogy so being able to play it in a modern remake was nice and redeeming for me.

It was kind of short but I felt like everything I was doing had a purpose and I never felt hindered by Nemesis in my progress. Some people complained a lot about it when it came out but I think it's pretty alright for what it is.

Curious to see a Code Veronica remake and how that would turn out.

25 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

That's exactly why CD and Eidos should do it. Drive people away from this dog shit product so SE and others will stop trying to make them. Drive people away from these horrible products, you're doing them a favor lol. Makes these types of games undesirable for everyone.

Yeah, but they are not driving the everyone just for the game, but for any product made from the studio as well.

I will not be surprised is a lot of people will be less willing to buy a new Tomb Rider or Deus Ex simply because CD has made a clown of themselves with how they have handled this game and how they interact with their community.

3 hours ago, nickmanx5 said:

i actually don't think i mind grinding in a jrpg i think i enjoy it in like dragon quest games. i don't even mind random encounters unless it's like the 3rd shadow hearts game where not only is there one every 5 steps every single one feels like im fighting for my god damn life.

I haven't played SH3, but good to know. In the past games there was an item that reduced the number of random encounters, I hope it's in this game as well.

36 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Yeah, but they are not driving the everyone just for the game, but for any product made from the studio as well.

Only if youre a bitter bitch who lets words on the internet from people you dont actually know get under your skin that badly over a dog shit garbage game you shouldnt be playing in the first place.

36 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I will not be surprised is a lot of people will be less willing to buy a new Tomb Rider or Deus Ex simply because CD has made a clown of themselves with how they have handled this game and how they interact with their community.

People weren't buying those games anyway, both suffered huge sales drop with the sequels. Deus Ex had that Augment Your Reality horse shit, SE ruined the rep of that series all on their own, and Tomb Raider was suffering diminishing returns after the first one with each sequel. The immursive sim genre always explodes for a year or two and then falls off a cliff. Prey bombed and its arguably Arkanes best work. Shit the DLC for Prey was better then all of Death Loop and it was literally the same concept.

Honestly the only people who will remember that stream is you and the people who where in it. The way EA and Activision treat their customers like shit regularly and basically never lose any of them and people are gonna remember a stream CD and Eidos did? Naw son.

Edited by RSG3

Tomb Raider and Rise of The Tomb Raider's sales were basically identical. I think, without looking it up, Rise edged out it's predecessor. It would have had better sales but SE, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make it a console exclusive on it's least popular platform. The game launched 13 months later on PS4 and still slightly edged out the reboot's sales from my recollection. If it were day and date on all platforms. I think, supposition on my part, that it would have sold much better. Late ports typically sell worse than games that launch date and date with a few exceptions. I think the exclusivity shenanigans killed the series momentum. Then SE decided to take CD off of Tomb Raider and put them on a games as a service Avengers game. They put the B team on Shadow of the Tomb Raider and while it wasn't a bad game, it didn't measure up to what CD did. It's kind of like Arkham Origins compared to the rest of the Arkham series. The game sold well but not as well has Rise or the Tomb Raider reboot.

25 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Tomb Raider and Rise of The Tomb Raider's sales were basically identical. I think, without looking it up, Rise edged out it's predecessor. It would have had better sales but SE, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make it a console exclusive on it's least popular platform. The game launched 13 months later on PS4 and still slightly edged out the reboot's sales from my recollection. If it were day and date on all platforms. I think, supposition on my part, that it would have sold much better. Late ports typically sell worse than games that launch date and date with a few exceptions. I think the exclusivity shenanigans killed the series momentum. Then SE decided to take CD off of Tomb Raider and put them on a games as a service Avengers game. They put the B team on Shadow of the Tomb Raider and while it wasn't a bad game, it didn't measure up to what CD did. It's kind of like Arkham Origins compared to the rest of the Arkham series. The game sold well but not as well has Rise or the Tomb Raider reboot.

Yea Tomb Raider was successful, just not SE successful I guess. Those titles would have sold way way better if they had better marketing and less of the dumb fuck shit SE was doing during that time to basically sabotage their western studios. I wasn't trying to say Tomb Raider was CDs fault because like Avengers its not, its SEs fault. They fucked that shit up, just like they did with Avengers and just like they did with Deus Ex and Augment Your Preorder. The TR sequels should have sold more then the first one, not done par.

SE is SEs absolute worst enemy.

Edited by RSG3
34 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Yea Tomb Raider was successful, just not SE successful I guess. Those titles would have sold way way better if they had better marketing and less of the dumb fuck shit SE was doing during that time to basically sabotage their western studios. I wasn't trying to say Tomb Raider was CDs fault because like Avengers its not, its SEs fault. They fucked that shit up, just like they did with Avengers and just like they did with Deus Ex and Augment Your Preorder. The TR sequels should have sold more then the first one, not done par.

SE is SEs absolute worst enemy.

SE is really full of it. Every game in the TR franchise handily outsold FFVII:R, IIRC Tomb Raider sold 11 million, RoTR sold 12 million, and SoTR sold 9 million compared to Remake's 5 million or so.

8 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

SE is really full of it. Every game in the TR franchise handily outsold FFVII:R, IIRC Tomb Raider sold 11 million, RoTR sold 12 million, and SoTR sold 9 million compared to Remake's 5 million or so.

Usually the complaint for sales with SE on TR1 is that it didnt sell fast enough, not that it didnt push enough units. TR1 got slagged by them for only, ONLY selling like 3 or 4 mill in the first month. They wanted blockbuster bangers not sleeper long haul hits. I think you should be happy with what you get but hey i know when enough is enough you know?

SE is a bonkers company. I really dont think they understand markets, or numbers, or anything that doesn't revolve around pandering to young boys & girls. They are gonna hamfist Gackt back into FF7 because hes burned out Idol they think he still appeals to young women or some shit. Worst character in a series with a rapist mad doctor, like fuck he sucks so much.

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Snip

At this point is not about being a bitter bitch.

Is a matter of principle.

You wouldn't go to a restaurant where the staff actively disrespects you.

Is the same thing here.

Honestly the only people who will remember that stream is you and the people who where in it. The way EA and Activision treat their customers like shit regularly and basically never lose any of them and people are gonna remember a stream CD and Eidos did? Naw son.

Which is why Activision has been having diminishing sales on COD, and EA games have been selling less as well.

I think the only game that EA has that is selling consistently is Fifa, and even that one has soled less in recent years, and with them losing the license who knows how good their next Football game will sell.

I know that the meme is that gamers have bad memory, but the sales figures don't lie.

We are seeing how them treating their customers like shit, and selling them bad products is baiting them in the ass, even if slowly.

Edited by Hecatom

This is purely anecdotal here, but I know a lot of people that didn't buy the game because the whole exclusivity deal, some because they were against buying it after the whole debacle, and others because they either forgot about the game, or lost interest on it.

Another group  just waited until it was on sale, since iirc, it had a considerable price drop like a month after its release.

Like you said, ports of games, specially after a year or more could end selling worse, and given the game history, I wouldn't be surprised that a good chunk of people just waited for the game being at discounted price to buy it.

My brother did that.

IIRC, we got it like for 5 dollars at one of the psn sales.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

At this point is not about being a bitter bitch.

Yes it is.

You wouldn't go to a restaurant where the staff actively disrespects you.

Is the same thing here.

As Chad pointed out there are restaurants that offer exactly this service.

But to actually respond this, I wouldn't go to a restaurant that that serves dog food, then complain they serve dog food and need to change it, I would see they serve dog food and keep it moving. Avengers was very clearly dog food. So i wouldn't be in this position in the first place. If they are rude out of no where yea sure, but to go to their place and tell them how to stack their menu and then be upset they clap back? Absolutely not.

Which is why Activision has been having diminishing sales on COD, and EA games have been selling less as well.

Yea after 30 years of fucking people over trhey are finally seeing a dip in sales. Just a dip. Not a huge drop off, just a dip. Activision also has the social stigma of being employed by a bunch of rapists working against them as well, and dont put EA in my face when they get voted worst company in America every year and continue to be one of the most successful corps year after year doing just fine selling tons and tons and tons of units. Post all the YongYea videos you want, people are still playing and buying Battlefield shit. It just proves me right.

I know that the meme is that gamers have bad memory, but the sales figures don't lie.

No they dont lie, and they spell out the very clear message that gamers on the whole will buy your shit even if you treat them like garbage for years and years and years. Shit the fact their declining sales is a fucking drip proves me right. The vast majority will not stop buying their stuff. Fuck the vast majority doesnt even know who makes the shit they play, the amount of people who tell me Bethesda made the two awesome DOOM games even to this day tells me most gamers dont pay very much attention to the industry at all.

Edited by RSG3

Rockstar planning to starve Red Dead Online to feed the beast of GTA6

https://www.ign.com/articles/red-dead-online-wont-get-major-themed-update-as-more-resources-shifted-to-gta-6

ActiBlizz employees staging walkout due to Roe V Wade being overturned

https://www.ign.com/articles/activision-blizzard-protest-roe-vs-wade

I know what you're thinking "Whuh?  What does ActiBlizz have to do with R v W?"  Title is....not quite correct but R v W is connected to the reason.  It's more so due to the fact that Acti-Blizz isn't providing anything to the women or LGBTQ+ community healthcare wise to make it easy for them to either move to another state (work remotely) or pay for healthcare services that they can't get in a state that has their trigger laws already pulled or prepared to pull.  I'm still not entirely sure what's going on though cause from what I'm looking at ActiBlizz is in CA....which I thought was one of the most progressive states we have in the US so I'm not sure if I'm missing something here.

Matrix Demo will be leaving storefronts on July 9th

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-matrix-awakens-demo-is-leaving-soon-so-get-it-while-it-lasts

If you haven't dled it yet and have a PS5, Xbox SeX/SeS, or beefy PC then you may want to jump it.

At the time, I was amazed by Code Veronica. It hasn't aged the best and it is a really long and tedious journey sometimes. These remakes don't like to spend too much time with back tracking and would rather keep the pace moving so that's why I would be really interested to see how Code Veronica would be remade.

Felt like half of the time was spent running around and back tracking to get some guns and earn the trust of Leonardo DiCaprio I mean... Steve.

5 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Edios Montreal are the primary devs of Deus Ex so there's no need to worry about CD fucking that series up. CD does have a stake in Legacy of Kain so they can potentially fuck that up if a new game is made

Information round up from various interviews regarding FF7 Crisis Core Reunion

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/07/crisis-core-final-fantasy-vii-reunion-and-final-fantasy-vii-rebirth-interviews-new-information-roundup

Quite a few interesting tidbits here.  They said the entire game was remade...nothing was left untouched and they're doing a faithful remake of the original.  No new content or story  (nooot sure I believe this).  NPCS that had text are now fully voiced, scenes that were just text are now fully voiced in general.  Combat has been altered, implementing some of Cloud's FF7R combat into the game.  Confirmed that some of the main characters have been newly recorded...based on what I'm reading Gackt will remain since his character was already fully voiced.  Hard mode included, difficulty can be changed at any point during the game.  Visuals are updated to reflect the style of FF7R.

Excerpt regarding story

The story is a faithful reproduction of the original game, and no new story has been added as a result of Final Fantasy VII Remake. The Final Fantasy VII Remake project was created in a way so that the mystery behind the story can be understood by playing through to the end, and was not made with the intention of changing the past. Thus, the story of Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion has not been revised in the sense that history has changed.

....but...ok...

Edit:

Edited by Sonichuman