Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

5 hours ago, elliephil said:

At the time, I was amazed by Code Veronica. It hasn't aged the best and it is a really long and tedious journey sometimes. These remakes don't like to spend too much time with back tracking and would rather keep the pace moving so that's why I would be really interested to see how Code Veronica would be remade.

Felt like half of the time was spent running around and back tracking to get some guns and earn the trust of Leonardo DiCaprio I mean... Steve.

Considering most RE games back then were probably 6-8 hours max, I appreciated the length of CV.

I been waiting forever for them to remake it since actually significant storyline shit went down in that game (Chris and Claire reuniting, finding out Weaker was alive, the origins of Umbrella, etc) but Capcom seems to hate it for whatever reason. Would've been dope to see a new spin on it tho

man... I took the Steam Deck with me on lunch today since I anticipated a line, but "unfortunately" there was actually no line, so I didn't even get that luxury of playing while waiting to order...heh, I actually took it with me for nothing then.  Anyway, my latest acquisitions were Vampyr (only 8 bucks on the sale) and "Have a Nice Death":

Oh yeah I'm loving this one...great controls and the art style on this is especially good.

Meanwhile on Vampyr I already started a run on that as well; got thru the intro scene at least... definitely going to chomp on these citizens with reckless abandon.  To hell with restraint; I want as much vampiric power as possible.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Considering most RE games back then were probably 6-8 hours max, I appreciated the length of CV.

I been waiting forever for them to remake it since actually significant storyline shit went down in that game (Chris and Claire reuniting, finding out Weaker was alive, the origins of Umbrella, etc) but Capcom seems to hate it for whatever reason. Would've been dope to see a new spin on it tho

That's why I like Code Veronica so much and hold it somewhat highly as an RE game. I think the last it got any recognition was in 360/PS3 era when they ported it? I would even appreciate to see Claire again in the new RE8 dlc that's coming out. Just something, capcom pls

Been keeping an eye on that game for a while now.  I hope its fun.

I stared this game the other day.  Its kinda simple...feels like a point and click game kinda but I haven't gotten far.  It's real cute and reminds me of a cartoon movie from the 80's or something.

spacer.png

I finally tried out Crypt of the NecroDancer and that shits pretty fun. 

ah, the upcoming patch and season for Diablo 3 caught my attention

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo3/23826543/diablo-iii-ptr-2-7-4-preview

Finally the Trag'Oul set gets buffed?!? Oh hell yessssss... that one thing jumped out to me right away.  

One surprising silver lining of the Diablo Immortal fiasco is that it brought in more people for Diablo 3, actually... I've noticed quite a few apparently new people popping up in the subreddit forum for D3, coming over from Immortal.

So... Blood Hunt isn't quite done just yet apparently... TEAM DEATHMATCH?!?  That's at least one thing the game needed for sure:

This actually gets me intrigued to play it again... I'd also want more clans though....get some Tremere and Lasombra action going on in the mix at least.

Well, an open-world game about the world of The Terminator.... this poses an odd design problem there, imo... at least for me, it would be much more interesting/cool to be in the role of the various Terminators, and this is apparently a "survival" horror sort of thing so I'm assuming the players are in the role of human characters only, and the best we can hope for is an asymmetrical multiplayer thing where a small group of players is hunted by one player that gets to be the Terminator....or maybe a team deathmatch mode where it's perhaps a few human characters vs. a squad of Terminators.....actually yeah if it's post "Judgement Day" then a multiplayer situation would more likely be a full on team deathmatch sort of thing.  Still, I'd always rather be a Terminator....in any game where I have the choice to be something other than human, I'm picking that other thing 99% of the time since humans are generally lame and weak compared to anything else.

ha, reminded myself of Phantasy Star just then... since regular humans are one of the playable races....ha, in a game world with humanoid robots, magical elf types and beast people that can transform like a werewolf... why would I be human by choice? 😆

Anyway, I'll have to get back into some Diablo 3 and finish out that seasonal character before the next update hits in a few days.  It's a real shame this one is the last time Diablo will be naturally playable offline.... the thing that disgusts me is that there's a LOT of arpg/Diablo fans out there that will forever defend the "online-only" nonsense of the PC version and their decision to extend that to D4 and most likely anything following that.  It's like they don't even care that if that company were to suddenly *not* exist anymore at some point in the near future, your ability to play that shit goes away too.  Meanwhile, the console D3 fans can still play the game just fine.

oh yeah... I have Scarlet Nexus on XB1 but just played a little of it (distracted by the big list of other games I'm obsessed with); I plan to eventually get it on Steam Deck; I'll probably play it more on there as a portable game.  Usually in these action games, I'd prefer to have more of the moveset unlocked right away...it's often a bit stale in the beginning when your character is so limited at first.  I think the DMC games have a good pace of progression with that sort of thing... you can buy a satisfying amount of new moves after just 1 or 2 missions.

On another note---I looked up Blood Omen 2 but it doesn't appear to be compatible for Steam Deck for some reason, despite being an old game now.... I wonder if some old games show up as "incompatible" simply because they're so old that no one plays them currently, and thus no one actually knows.  I also looked up Loaded... oddly enough only the sequel "Re-Loaded" shows up on Steam.... unfortunately this game has not aged well at all, visually speaking....but back in the days of the first PlayStation, Loaded was one of my favorites.

5 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Random, but have PS5s gotten ANY easier to get at lately? I stopped checking a while ago, but the release date for God of War 2 has me trying to get one soon. The time it drops is close enough to Christmas that I KNOW I won't be able to get any then.

Not really. Hopefully Sony releases a PS5 bundle with GoW 2 though I doubt it’ll increase the supply enough for the system to be easily obtainable. 

5 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Random, but have PS5s gotten ANY easier to get at lately? I stopped checking a while ago, but the release date for God of War 2 has me trying to get one soon. The time it drops is close enough to Christmas that I KNOW I won't be able to get any then.

Nope. Retailers like Best Buy and Walmart sell them behind paywalls, GameStop sells in bundles only while Amazon and Sony have adapted an invite system for a chance to buy the console. There's more bullshit to deal with now than before

Question for the 3d beat em up fans in here. Twice now in the last couple weeks, I've people come at me saying things to the effect of "X game sucks because jumping to avoid attacks gets you killed."  I'm assuming these are people trying to play 3d games like they're 2d, but in the interest of making sure I'm not missing anything, outside of games Enemy Step, is there any reason why you would jump to avoid melee attacks from enemies? I usually roll, block, or just run in those situations, I rarely think to jump mostly because my character's back is usually to the camera so I can't see the attack coming to be able to jump. Just making sure I'm not missing anything.

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Nope. Retailers like Best Buy and Walmart sell them behind paywalls, GameStop sells in bundles only while Amazon and Sony have adapted an invite system for a chance to buy the console. There's more bullshit to deal with now than before

Why almost two years after launch we got to go through bullshit for everything save the Series S is the most frustrating thing of this current generation besides the controllers issues.

14 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Why almost two years after launch we got to go through bullshit for everything save the Series S is the most frustrating thing of this current generation besides the controllers issues.

Even taking into account the chip shortage, it's nuts that the Switch is easier to find without shenanigans. This going to be a 360/PS3 length generation. Consoles have been out close to two years and only a handful of games are truly current gen. The rest are just PS4 games with a higher resolution and/or refresh rate.

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Question for the 3d beat em up fans in here. Twice now in the last couple weeks, I've people come at me saying things to the effect of "X game sucks because jumping to avoid attacks gets you killed."  I'm assuming these are people trying to play 3d games like they're 2d, but in the interest of making sure I'm not missing anything, outside of games Enemy Step, is there any reason why you would jump to avoid melee attacks from enemies? I usually roll, block, or just run in those situations, I rarely think to jump mostly because my character's back is usually to the camera so I can't see the attack coming to be able to jump. Just making sure I'm not missing anything.

I would say it depends on the 3D brawler I'm playing. DMC you jump to avoid attacks because Dantes rising jump frames are full I-Frame and they are instant. They are actually faster then the rolls invul (but not more then Trickster Dashing in the games that have it)  So that's why you would jump in DMC. 

One that instantly pops to mind tho is Ninja Gaiden/B/S, positioning is super duper important, so you may jump avoid and aquire better positioning against an attacker. Being able to wall run and attack off those wall runs helps a lot to. Jump away from an attack, wall run up and Cicada Slash back down. Reaquire you're positioning in an offensive manner. Ryu doesn't have invul frames on his jump like Dante, but its an incredibly fast, low, and forward momentum based jump so it's  incredible for repositioning and finding angles when combined with his roll and his homing Wind Flip jump. It's honestly hard to think of other characters whose movement options are so fucking strong right out the gate. 

Elden Rings introduction of a Jump Button has had a massive impact on combat, positioning and aggressiveness since the hitbixes are so crisp now for the most part you can literally jump over and duck under attacks. It's very nice. 

Edited by RSG3
3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I've never seen this take and I find it odd.  Sounds like a skill issue personally.  Most 3D action titles give you different options to avoid attacks with pros and cons to them and depending on the game (DMC's jump in particular as RSG stated) seem to just be an better option than everything else.  It can also be used for crowd control in games that have higher air juggle potential like OG God of War/DMC games because it you can take someone up in the air away from everyone else and deal damage to that group/person without dealing with the riff raff below and around you for a moment.  I don't have nearly enough experience with Ninja Gaiden cause my limited experience was the jump was quick and you can use it for repositioning but air juggling is limited and dialed in unlike DMC and GoW and hang time feels far more heavy.  Being in the air in that game is like a minor reprieve vs the other games since you can still get shot at off screen IIRC.  

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

....Consoles have been out close to two years and only a handful of games are truly current gen. The rest are just PS4 games with a higher resolution and/or refresh rate.

I haven't seen a compelling reason to get the new PS5/Xbox offering.  The new generation just isn't offering any reason for me to drop that kind of money on a system just for it to collect dust.