Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

im excited for this because Midnight Sons was such a great group and the game looks fun af. But I hate this because there’s so many characters in the game that have never been part of the midnight sons group. 

I have a friend in the same boat as you who is hype for the game and likes the group as well and kinda laments all the characters that haven't been in the group which I get but...yeah...gotta maximize marketing.

And addendum to the post talking about Jumping in 3D action games, I noticed Doc Mario said he has the camera at his back and thus can't see the attack. 

Got me thinking that this is another important part of 3D games in general and it that's learning the 3D space and the strengths and weaknesses of the games camera is just as important as learning your movement and the enemies. Like a good intimate knowledge of a boss room means you can keep your eyes on the boss more often while still being able to navigate the room without putting yourself in a bad position, or being able to move when you perhaps can't see the problems, big enemy obscuring the Cam, or the enemy is off screen but will still shoot at you regardless. Both of these are situations you will run into in Ninja Gaiden Black, my main example in the previous post, and the way around this using your full tool box whenever possible and to think of different ways of applying those tools. 

Random tangent lol. 

I'm hoping that game "Stray" inspires a few clones at least... I want to wander a city around as a rat, or a raccoon stealing food and attacking people who were dumb enough to get too close.  Or a game where you are a wasp that goes out of its way to sting people.... or a fly that get into a house and annoys people by landing on food before they get a chance to eat it.

I really can’t get into Scarlet Nexus. Game kinda sucks tbh.  Not crazy far into it (2nd chapter out of 26) but the gameplay, characters and story are super fucking boring to me. The ENG voice acting is atrocious too. 

Just it’s over all presentation is very bland and boring. 

Edited by iStu X
12 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I get a remaster; I love remasters and remakes with updated graphics. But the graphics from the first time around are still pretty good, even by today's standards. Also, they had a remaster already for PS4. So, I don't even know who they're going to reel in with this.

1 hour ago, KimuraLOX said:

I think you should replace the golden scarab with the talisman that lowers the FP cost of skills, or the fire scorpion talisman, because at RL180 runes are pretty much trivial at that point. Do you use alot of black flame incants? If not you'd be better off with the Erdtree Seal.

Black flame is my most used incant. I use the ball, fire spread and the flame wall. I recently acquired black flame protection so I'm going to experiment with it. I also like to use the concentrated frenzy flame beam for sniping.

1 hour ago, axeman61 said:

I get a remaster; I love remasters and remakes with updated graphics. But the graphics from the first time around are still pretty good, even by today's standards. Also, they had a remaster already for PS4. So, I don't even know who they're going to reel in with this.

I really think they are trying to go for a marketing wave with the Last of Us TV series where they benefit each other but its probably not going to work the way they'd like cause no.1 as most people pointed out it feels WAAAYY too early for them to remake this game so I'm pretty sure most people who have PS5's at the moment have played the game in the last decade and/or have the remaster that they put on the PS4.  No.2 They're expecting to try to rope in people who watch the series who may never have played the game to go "oh this is based on a game?  Let me go check this out"  so they go to the store and see this remake on the shelf and then realize they don't have a PS5 to play it...HAVE FUN WITH THAT.   No.2 alone is why I don't think this going to go the way they want cause general masses are probably gonna balk enough at that $70 price point on top of needing a new $400-$500 system to play said game that they can't even find at that price point.

19 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I've never seen this take and I find it odd.  Sounds like a skill issue personally.  Most 3D action titles give you different options to avoid attacks with pros and cons to them and depending on the game (DMC's jump in particular as RSG stated) seem to just be an better option than everything else.  It can also be used for crowd control in games that have higher air juggle potential like OG God of War/DMC games because it you can take someone up in the air away from everyone else and deal damage to that group/person without dealing with the riff raff below and around you for a moment.  I don't have nearly enough experience with Ninja Gaiden cause my limited experience was the jump was quick and you can use it for repositioning but air juggling is limited and dialed in unlike DMC and GoW and hang time feels far more heavy.  Being in the air in that game is like a minor reprieve vs the other games since you can still get shot at off screen IIRC.  

I'll spend plenty of time on the air if the character has a means of pulling enemies up with them for combos, or for positioning like RSG said, but I didn't really understand jumping so much as a means of avoiding attacks that didn't live on the ground anyway.

53 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Remember when Naughtydog made bright, cheerful, pleasant games with funny characters, Goofy enemies, and a generally uplifting vibe? 

I miss that Naughtydog a fuck load. 

I don't have an issue with the games they make now I just wish they had the attitude that they could still continue to make those games and have them coexist with what they're doing now.  But they're in all or nothing mode, "We're doing serious games now!  No time for anything less!!"  Why?  You can have both and it can keep your teams doing something varied.

12 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I don't have an issue with the games they make now I just wish they had the attitude that they could still continue to make those games and have them coexist with what they're doing now.  But they're in all or nothing mode, "We're doing serious games now!  No time for anything less!!"  Why?  You can have both and it can keep your teams doing something varied.

Well, there is no one left from the old guard, since Neil Drunkman shooed them away.

But I will at least give them credit for being honest in that current ND doesn't have the people and tech to make games like they did in the past, hence why they focus on their current style of games.

14 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

*Remembers how they named the dogs so you'd hopefully feel shitt for shooting them even tho said dogs are also trying to kill you.*

Yeah I remember that. 😑 The best way to endear yourself to your customers is to make them feel like shit apparently. I guess all my experiences with customers ditching my company when they are unhappy was anecdotal 👀

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

*Remembers how they named the dogs so you'd hopefully feel shitt for shooting them even tho said dogs are also trying to kill you.*

Yeah, The whole game is full of dissonances like that 🤣

But is not only TLOU2, or just NG2, is like how on the 1st TR game from the reboot trilogy at story level they wanted you make feel like Lara was struggling to kill, yet gameplaywise you were a one woman army, lol, killing with no remorse.

36 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I mean I get what they were trying to go for but in terms of "This person has a family and friends/pet has an owner/family" but its hard to feel empathetic about people or animals in a moment where they're trying to kill you.   I get thats part of thesis for the game but I feel this would only really work in a game with more choices or incentives for not killing people/animals which LoU2 fails at.  If you could potentially bargain with some of the people it'd probably hit closer to target but thats unrealistic in this type of situation even if you let people go after taking them hostage cause plenty of people in this universe are loyal to their own so you don't have any guarantees that letting someone go won't bite you in the ass later...which actually could have been an interesting angle as well if they truly wanted to delve down that rabbit hole.  End of the day though, LoU2 doesn't have any of this so giving people and animals names is a pointless endeavor for both campaigns in the grand scheme. 

16 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I mean I get what they were trying to go for but in terms of "This person has a family and friends/pet has an owner/family" but its hard to feel empathetic about people or animals in a moment where they're trying to kill you.   I get thats part of thesis for the game but I feel this would only really work in a game with more choices or incentives for not killing people/animals which LoU2 fails at.  If you could potentially bargain with some of the people it'd probably hit closer to target but thats unrealistic in this type of situation even if you let people go after taking them hostage cause plenty of people in this universe are loyal to their own so you don't have any guarantees that letting someone go won't bite you in the ass later...which actually could have been an interesting angle as well if they truly wanted to delve down that rabbit hole.  End of the day though, LoU2 doesn't have any of this so giving people and animals names is a pointless endeavor for both campaigns in the grand scheme. 

Yea you have to give alternate solutions in order for decisions you make in the game to matter to the player. When I play Deus Ex Human Revolution I kill about 12 people in a game with 100s of enemies in it. Why? Because they not only ask the question 'Is there a better way?" But they provide the "better way" solutions for you to engage with if your the type to search out those solutions. Even if you get caught you can run away, hide, find a different route.

What options do you have in TLOU as a franchise to deal with your problems? It seems like the solution to 90% of your problems in that series is to brain the problem with a brick and then the games gonna shame you for using the small and violent pool of options it gives you. TLOU presents almost every problem as a nail and every tool they give you is some variation on a hammer but then has the Gaul to chastise you for using the hammers even tho the tool box only has hammers in it. 

TLOUs social commentary clashes with its game play design super hard imo and it makes its commentary really shallow and meaningless. No I don't feel bad for using the tools you provided me with. Maybe if you gave me tools to make peaceful solutions I'd feel bad for defaulting to violent ones but I really only have violent ones so those are the ones I'm gonna use and no I won't feel bad about a decision you pretty much made for me. 

Edited by RSG3

I remember my solution halfway through TLoU 2 was to make Abby commit suicide as many times and in as many ways possible. I made that bitch get ate by zombies, shot to death, blown up, burned, shot by arrows, drownt, and I made her jump off the building a bunch because that pussy gorilla bitch was so scared of heights. God, what an awesome fucking game.

Edited by Chadouken

Bamco’s release calendar for next year has apparently leaked 

Spoiler

Q1 2023:

Dragon Ball: The Breakers 

Q2 2023: 

Little Nightmares 3

DBFZ SUPER

Digimon Cyberslueth 2

Q3 2023

Elden Ring: Barbarians of the Badlands

Tales of Ascension 

Tekken 8

Q4 2023

Code Vein 2

One Punch Man: Fighters Association 

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 3

Edited by iStu X
11 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Bamco’s release calendar for next year has apparently leaked 

Hide contents

Q1 2023:

Dragon Ball: The Breakers 

Q2 2023: 

Little Nightmares 3

DBFZ SUPER

Digimon Cyberslueth 2

Q3 2023

Elden Ring: Barbarians of the Badlands

Tales of Ascension 

Tekken 8

Q4 2023

Code Vein 2

One Punch Man: Fighters Association 

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 3

If OPM FA turns out to be an actual fighting game and not an Arena Fighter, I will be tripping balls