Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

It frustrates me not having much time for gaming in a typical week... even though it's not like I have a lot of "real life" stuff going on, aside from work and then gym on the weekends... 

Wait until/if you ever have kids lol.

By the time they go to sleep and you do have free time to game, you are too exhausted to game and would rather just sit on the couch and watch TV.

I beat Godrick on my first and only attempt 💪

@RSG3Co-op might be fun but I'm not entirely sure how to do it and what kind of expectations there are for it. I'd rather do the dungeons and shit on my own, but it'd be cool to explore and fight some of the world bosses. I could use some help with the Crucible Knight in the Everjail. That fucker is tougher than Godrick was. Also, I use a headset- would you be down to join a party so we can talk to each other?

2 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I beat Godrick on my first and only attempt 💪

@RSG3Co-op might be fun but I'm not entirely sure how to do it and what kind of expectations there are for it. I'd rather do the dungeons and shit on my own, but it'd be cool to explore and fight some of the world bosses. I could use some help with the Crucible Knight in the Everjail. That fucker is tougher than Godrick was. Also, I use a headset- would you be down to join a party so we can talk to each other?

Co-oping is the easiest it's ever been, you just need two items, one is a consumable but you can craft it from the Erd tree Flowers you see everywhere. The other is just the summoning finger. 

Also dunno what you mean by expectations, my expectations are if I get summoned into your world we do what you want to do. I also don't play tour guide, I'll play with you, but you lead the way and I'm not gonna tell you about ambushes and traps and curb stomp bosses for you and shit, that's part of the experience. But it's nice to suffer with someone else, that's also the part of the Fromsoft experience, shared suffering lol. So I'm happy to contribute and help, but I won't roll in with my lvl 200 build and wompa stompa the game for you or anything. And yea I have a mic, I'm more then happy to join chat. 

Edited by RSG3
6 hours ago, MillionX said:

It frustrates me not having much time for gaming in a typical week... even though it's not like I have a lot of "real life" stuff going on, aside from work and then gym on the weekends... it's just so much other entertainment out there; mainly youtube and shows/podcasts in the way, on top of the work schedule of course.  I was trying to play some Diablo since Friday but stuff just keeps popping up to steal my attention.  It's almost the end of this season and my Necro isn't even level 70...that's pitiful.

Azure Striker Gunvolt 3 should be out now so that's my next thing, most likely....would be preferable if I could get a physical version, of course.

Random Gears talk....sadly no official new game or anything for a long time, it seems... I'm eager to see what happens story-wise in part 6... there's a certain major choice they leave up to the player; it will be interesting to see if they write it so that only 1 of those scenarios is the definitive thing that happened, or if they do a thing where it reads your old save info and it goes with whatever you chose to do.

**vague spoiler**... this  may slightly hint at what kind of choice that is but it was also interesting to see people's reactions to it because yeah...it's a rough one, in terms of the emotions there.

edit---ohhh and I just remembered another major thing... it was frustrating I couldn't bring it up with a friend since that dude took forever and STILL hasn't caught up with the story all these years later....but man, Kait has had such an interesting character journey with a lot of powerful stuff going on....and that's just from what goes on in 4 and 5.  Ha, then I just remembered another thing she went through... 

and of course I never get tired of hearing Kait's theme....

My favorite Gears music though is the legendary Return of the Omen.  No other shooter was giving us this kind of musical excellence.

If it's one thing I miss about having an Xbox its definitely having access to Gears.  I miss Gears a TON.

Also Halo (at least the original trilogy when Martin was still doing the music) and Doom would be put up there with Gears in terms of shooters with good, memorable osts.  I think Sonabid also said that the newer Wolfenstein games also had good osts because Mick was doing them.

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Rockstar will not be dumb enough to turn GTA 6 into play to earn. That will give the series a death nail.

Eh, on one hand, is unlikely they will do it, but on the other, if there is a company I think will do it if they knew they could get away with it is Rockstar/Take2

Just look at how they promoted their 2k basketball game with making a trailer only focusing on the real money gambling

Edited by Hecatom
On 7/31/2022 at 4:15 AM, Camacho said:

Look at the model numbers on both CPUs and we can tell you if the motherboard is compatible. You don't need to remove the i5 to check, go to system > about in windows and it will tell you the CPU model. Just saying "i5" is like saying "Honda Civic"- there are different grades and model years.

Was able to sit down st the tower tonight for a mew minutes and grab a pic of those specs. 

20220802_004834.jpg

Tried googling the baseboard information but I really dunno what I'm even looking for. 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Was able to sit down st the tower tonight for a mew minutes and grab a pic of those specs. 

20220802_004834.jpg

Tried googling the baseboard information but I really dunno what I'm even looking for. 

That uses an LGA 1151 socket. Compatible i7's would be 6000 and 7000 series models (such as the i7 6700 or i7 7700). The i5 you have is a 4 core/4 thread model, i7's of those generations have 4 cores/8 threads- good upgrade. You will also need to replace the thermal paste between the CPU and cooler, and the cooler will need to be able to handle the extra heat an i7 will produce (assuming it's a higher end i7 that runs hot). 

12 minutes ago, Camacho said:

That uses an LGA 1151 socket. Compatible i7's would be 6000 and 7000 series models (such as the i7 6700 or i7 7700). The i5 you have is a 4 core/4 thread model, i7's of those generations have 4 cores/8 threads- good upgrade. You will also need to replace the thermal paste between the CPU and cooler, and the cooler will need to be able to handle the extra heat an i7 will produce (assuming it's a higher end i7 that runs hot). 

So it should work, I just need to upgrade the cooling most likely? (and new Thermal Paste of course)

35 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Damn, that one is too old to work with your motherboard- 1150 socket. Also uses older RAM (DDR3 vs DDR4).

That's lame. Hmmmn Wonder what I can do with it then...I'll have to try and sell it and see if i can put that money to an i7 with an 1151 socket or something I guess.

Thanks for the help Comacho.

Edited by RSG3
3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

That's lame. Hmmmn Wonder what I can do with it then...I'll have to try and sell it and see if i can put that money to an i7 with an 1151 socket or something I guess.

Man I was wish I could part with my laptop. I have a custom one with i7 7700K, I'd let you have it if I could. Hmm.....let me see what my mid month pay check looks like. I technically only need a motherboard and hard drive to turn my old PC parts into a new system. 3700X, 5700XT, 16GB RAM. No promises, I'll see what I can do though.

5 hours ago, RSG3 said:

One other bit to consider- what are you planning on using the PC for? If the intent is gaming, your CPU could still handle plenty of older titles- I'd put that i7 money towards a GPU if that's what you're after. But you might also have to upgrade the power supply, depending on what you get (and what's already in it, of course). 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Just want some more power for emulation, that's really it. My tower can do about half of PS2 games but once particles start to fly its game over. 

Your CPU should be more than good enough for that. Sell that i7 and get a low end/low power draw GPU like a 750ti and you should be good to go.

41 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Off to Google I go. Thanks. 

I think you would be better off with a 1650. It's easier to acquire new than a 750 ti and it's a better card. You can easily get one for below $200

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-1650-OC-Ventus/dp/B086VR4VHX/ref=sr_1_7?crid=ZGU4EZJ35288&keywords=1650+ti&qid=1659462535&s=electronics&sprefix=1650%2Celectronics%2C84&sr=1-7

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Just want some more power for emulation, that's really it. My tower can do about half of PS2 games but once particles start to fly its game over. 

What kind of emulation you looking for?

I just put together a "new" PC for my MAME cabinet and got rid of my Pi3+ because it couldn't play a lot of stuff.

Now I can play Killer instinct and Blitz no problems and it's far from new technology. 

The whole thing cost me less than $200 and over half of that was a 1tb SSD and the PSU.

2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

What kind of emulation you looking for?

I just put together a "new" PC for my MAME cabinet and got rid of my Pi3+ because it couldn't play a lot of stuff.

Now I can play Killer instinct and Blitz no problems and it's far from new technology. 

The whole thing cost me less than $200 and over half of that was a 1tb SSD and the PSU.

PS2 at a pretty decent level of performance is my benchmark. 

1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

PS2 at a pretty decent level of performance is my benchmark. 

Gotcha.  Yeah I'm not sure how well that would run on my setup.  I'm not sure if PS2 emulation uses GPU stuff or not either.

I'm selling off my Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat boards and wanted to be sure I can still play em 100% in my cabinet before doing so lol.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Gotcha.  Yeah I'm not sure how well that would run on my setup.  I'm not sure if PS2 emulation uses GPU stuff or not either.

I'm selling off my Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat boards and wanted to be sure I can still play em 100% in my cabinet before doing so lol.

According to the emulator spec requirements it does use GPU. Lucky for him the entry level GPUs will provide what he needs. He will only need to go higher if he wants to play on higher resolutions and want bells & whistles.

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I think you would be better off with a 1650. It's easier to acquire new than a 750 ti and it's a better card. You can easily get one for below $200

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-1650-OC-Ventus/dp/B086VR4VHX/ref=sr_1_7?crid=ZGU4EZJ35288&keywords=1650+ti&qid=1659462535&s=electronics&sprefix=1650%2Celectronics%2C84&sr=1-7

1650 is indeed better, just mentioned 750ti because  it should be dirt cheap and takes very little power. Didn't realize that the 1650 can also be powered straight from the PCIe- definitely go with the 1650 if it fits the budget.

19 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

According to the emulator spec requirements it does use GPU. Lucky for him the entry level GPUs will provide what he needs. He will only need to go higher if he wants to play on higher resolutions and want bells & whistles.

Just a bump to 720p would be sufficient, but it's mostly about ease of use. Now that I live with my girl in her house it's lot less....justifiable for me to have a bunch of old tube TV consoles all over the place and 3 CRTs hooked up and shit. Least not at the moment anyway. Something we could return to at a later date but right now it's not feasible really. 

But it would be nice to get at least a 720p resolution out of the majority of stuff, I could see needing to back off on confetti vomit particle effect heavy games like Sqauresoft shit but for the most part would be nice for most of them to look nice enough. I can do a number of PS2 games at 720p fine, so I think a decent upgrade would get me 98% of the way there. 

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Just a bump to 720p would be sufficient, but it's mostly about ease of use. Now that I live with my girl in her house it's lot less....justifiable for me to have a bunch of old tube TV consoles all over the place and 3 CRTs hooked up and shit. Least not at the moment anyway. Something we could return to at a later date but right now it's not feasible really. 

But it would be nice to get at least a 720p resolution out of the majority of stuff, I could see needing to back off on confetti vomit particle effect heavy games like Sqauresoft shit but for the most part would be nice for most of them to look nice enough. I can do a number of PS2 games at 720p fine, so I think a decent upgrade would get me 98% of the way there. 

From what I'm looking at in the recommended specs the card used (GTX 750) is capable at running games at 1080p.

https://pcsx2.net/guides/basic-setup/#system-requirements

If decide to go with a GTX 1650 you will have more than enough for 720P. Brand new and used you can get that card for cheap. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

1650 with that CPU would also allow you to play some modern stuff, particularly at 720p.

Lmao my fucki g laptop out of no where is just like "Yea I don't wanna see your network anymore. I'll see everyone else's in the neighborhood, but I won't see yours. Yea I've seen and been connected to it all day but the last 10 minutes? I'm done. 

This is so fucking random. Every device in the house can see the router but my Laptop can't. Can see every other router in the area but can't see my own. What the random as fuck fuck?

8 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Lmao my fucki g laptop out of no where is just like "Yea I don't wanna see your network anymore. I'll see everyone else's in the neighborhood, but I won't see yours. Yea I've seen and been connected to it all day but the last 10 minutes? I'm done. 

This is so fucking random. Every device in the house can see the router but my Laptop can't. Can see every other router in the area but can't see my own. What the random as fuck fuck?

Yeah thats pretty random especially since it was working before and its picking uo everbody else's network.