Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Hogwarts Legacy getting delayed into Feb 2023

https://www.ign.com/articles/hogwarts-legacy-release-date-set-for-february-2023

GoTsu movie director wants the actors to be Japanese and the movie itself to be in Japanese

https://www.ign.com/articles/ghost-of-tsushima-director-wants-movie-language-and-cast-to-be-japanese

Actors being Japanese is kind of...Duh?  and I'm personally fine with the movie being in Japanese with English sub but I don't think it's the right move to make.

Edit:  Rethinking...what I'm saying here.  GoTsu movie being made with Japanese actors is a duh but clearly in a world where a live action Avatar gets completely whitewashed....

Edited by Sonichuman

As long as they don't go the route of the West Side Story remake where they didn't put subs on the parts in spanish because they didn't want to give english "power" I say go for it.

But don't be surprised when the movie ends with less reach for being fully in japanese.

Also, the only reason why the director is announcing that is pure posturing, By this point, most people would assume that the movie set in japan will try to have a good chunk of japanese actors if possible, like 47 ronin.

Edited by Hecatom

ha, of course the Japanese characters in a movie like that get to be left up to Japanese actors in that Ghosts of Tsushima movie... because modern-day Hollywood and the far lefties (and about 99% of black people for obvious reasons) out there are currently *only* ok with white characters, especially any redheaded ones, being changed to black.  It's ok to make them completely unrecognizable, visually speaking.  That particular brand of discrimination and erasure is fine and even cheered on today.  All other race-swaps get instantly shit on by those *same* people that 5 minutes ago would be like "yeah anyone can play anyone, bro....it doesn't specifically say anywhere that this character has to be white sooooooo...." (other than the decades of art and animation showing the character to look a certain way of course...we're to ignore that, I guess)  Sometimes the shit genuinely irks me....but other times it just makes me laugh at how pathetic and absurd it all is.  Any kind of critique or questioning of the shit will always just get shouted down as either being "racist" or being a "coon", so it's like the perfect crime, basically....it will probably go on for at least several more years.

This is the game that's suppose to be a relaxing affair but its not. 

I played this a bit last night.  I was just gonna do my normal start it up make sure it launches properly then shut it down but its one of those games that kinda throws you into it without letting you choose if you want to start or not.  I'll enjoy this game.  I missed out on it cause I didn't have the system to play it on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

So... DOOM ETERNAL....

I finally got around to playing a few Horde rounds of this today (laid back on the couch with the wonderful Steam Deck!), and ran into my first Marauder....nope, despite all the chaos going on, I was unable to defeat him.  I was able to get some solid damage on him but there was just too much going on.  The Horde mode in this game is truly incredible, btw.... I just hate the platforming challenge rounds.  Once again, that nonsense is NOT what the average player most likely thinks of when they think of Doom.  Just let me kill demons over and over in cool ultra-violent ways.  Cut the platforming garbage out and it would be a Horde mode I will continue to enjoy for years.  

The modern Doom games truly have the most satisfying kills in gaming today, imo... the brutality is so beautiful...over and over you're repeatedly ripping these demons to pieces, stabbing, carving them up with the chainsaw.  It's outstanding.

Edited by MillionX
19 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I would disagree. That would be akin to saying a Series X isn't a competitor to the PS5 because it doesn't play Microsoft titles. 

It's more about it's functional usage than what software is on it. 

The Steam Deck isn't a Switch competitor. Neither is the Aya Neo line. They aren't produced in significant enough quantities to be a threat to the Switch. You are example isn't comparable. The Series X is a threat to the PS5 because they are both massed produced items at a similar price point. 

2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The Steam Deck isn't a Switch competitor. Neither is the Aya Neo line. They aren't produced in significant enough quantities to be a threat to the Switch. You are example isn't comparable. The Series X is a threat to the PS5 because they are both massed produced items at a similar price point. 

I see the logic but they are so similar in the type of service they provide.  In the collector space, there are third party companies that make unlicensed figures. There is a market for those items that the main manufacturers lose ground on (albeit small). I would certainly concede that it's not an outright threat to the Switch. 

That handheld won't last very long as a competitive piece of tech because a more powerful one will be out in 2-4 months. My YouTube feed is flooded with tons of these devices. They compete with a unique market unto themselves. They don't compete with the major players like Nintendo, Sony or even Valve. They compete with their own market of portable PC hand helds, it's kind strange and interesting. 

39 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

That handheld won't last very long as a competitive piece of tech because a more powerful one will be out in 2-4 months. My YouTube feed is flooded with tons of these devices. They compete with a unique market unto themselves. They don't compete with the major players like Nintendo, Sony or even Valve. They compete with their own market of portable PC hand helds, it's kind strange and interesting. 

Yep, this type of product isn't new. It's just gaining attention because of the Steam Deck's introduction.

5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yep, this type of product isn't new. It's just gaining attention because of the Steam Deck's introduction.

Im happy to see them getting to where that one above is. Next year it will be like 200 bucks on the second hand market and will be a dope portable emulator, might scoop it. Has a good form factor and button placement, good sized screen. Might be the time to jump in...next year, when its cheap.

1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

One thing I love about all these new and upcoming "Steam deck/Switch variants" is knowing the real future of gaming is modular. Dock at home for a home (maybe with a built in enhanced set of hardware to support larger resolutions/smoother graphics) experience and take it with you on the go in a small package any time. 

Agreed. Nintendo failed horribly with the WiiU but set the stage for the next generation of modular gaming. Then they took the concept and refined it. In other words. . . 

high quality GIF

I mean even before the Switch dropped there were portable PCs and similar devices with the form factors of a handheld. The issue was that they were like the Game Gear back in the day, bad power consumption and at times were not really factored into development so many games ran like crap if you tried to play them without adjustments. PC gamers were not interested and console/handheld gamers were not either. The Switch kind of set up a blueprint in terms of power and viability, partially due to Nvidia's own history with their tablet console devices, that Valve and other companies are trying to capitalize on by bringing stronger hardware but with the PC space they are still running into the problem of making it easier to adjust for the different set of games. Although with Valve they have enough pull to help standardize what works on their platform, random hardware companies do not.

LOL.  $600 for this piece of shit.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/08/nfl-blitz-arcade-games-will-relaunch-as-arcade1up-cabinet-exclusive/

Sadly, these games have been edited in the years since their late-'90s heyday, and the changes may well be dealbreakers for those who grew up loving the original series' over-the-top, WWE-like mayhem in arcades and early 3D consoles like the N64 and Dreamcast. Arcade1Up has confirmed that this NFL game will no longer feature "a specific set of tackles," with roughly 15 percent of football player collisions edited out. Additionally, all after-the-whistle hits have been disabled. Smaller apparent changes thus far include new textures drawn on the field and sidelines to insert Arcade1Up's logo into the action.

Edited by purbeast
1 hour ago, purbeast said:

You are in the wrong line of work fam. You could make a killing based off of these Arcade 1up prices.

Edit: Actually found time to read the article. It gets worse. The games have been censored. The NFL being the NFL had to go a ruin what made Blitz stand out in the first place. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem