Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

4 hours ago, Wellman said:

I mean even before the Switch dropped there were portable PCs and similar devices with the form factors of a handheld. The issue was that they were like the Game Gear back in the day, bad power consumption and at times were not really factored into development so many games ran like crap if you tried to play them without adjustments. PC gamers were not interested and console/handheld gamers were not either. The Switch kind of set up a blueprint in terms of power and viability, partially due to Nvidia's own history with their tablet console devices, that Valve and other companies are trying to capitalize on by bringing stronger hardware but with the PC space they are still running into the problem of making it easier to adjust for the different set of games. Although with Valve they have enough pull to help standardize what works on their platform, random hardware companies do not.

A lot of the pre steam dock portables were android devices. PC crowd will shun it as phone tech likely won't have the games they want and emulation could be iffy depending on the hardware and version of Android it runs on.

So I put my Steam Deck to the test and played Yakuza: Like a Dragon on it. The game ran well but it was definitely pushing the deck. I could hear the internal fan cracking it up, feel hot air being blown out, the heat being generated on the back of the device and being a big drain on the battery. It was a hot and noisy little fucker. It killed the battery in two hours. That's roughly the same as the Switch if I played a game like that in portable mode. Due to the battery drain I likely won't play this game when I travel with it. More of a I'll play this while I lay in bed. 

P.S. While I'm talking about Like a Dragon

Spoiler

How in the fuck is Kashiwagi alive? He got turned into swiss cheese by a helicopter in Yakuza 3. 

how is that even possible neil degrasse tyson GIF by StarTalk Radio with Neil deGrasse Tyson 

So there's a date for the new Diablo season; 8/26...looks like I'll be going with my usual picks of Necro and possibly Wizard if I do a secondary character.

It will be a shame when D3 finally is no longer supported with new seasons....since this is the last time a Diablo game will have that much going on as regular free updates and unlockables....like the other companies out there, they've become well aware that they can get away with charging for everything imaginable.  

33 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Apparently this is pretty new on the GOG store.

edit: should add this isn’t any special port or anything. It seems like basically just the old PC version that can run on modern versions of Windows. It’s not HD or anything either, but still, that was a super fun (and busted) game.

Is this PS1 or N64 MKT?

44 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Is this PS1 or N64 MKT?

It’s the PC version but was basically a port of the PS1 version - you can play as Kintaro, Shao Kahn, Motaro, Rain, etc.

I ended up buying it and a few things to note:

- you can setup a controller, but on my Hitbox, my R2 and L2 buttons didn’t register as inputs, which made me have to put Run on L1 (which wasn’t ideal on my 8 button stick, but whatever)

- you can’t change your screen resolution, you basically just have like three video options: original window size (which is maybe 180p or even less tbh), screen size X2 (doubt whatever the original is), and full screen (which was a full 4:3 ratio screen on my 1600p 16:10 laptop monitor and looked okay, but definitely not HD or anything).

I also totally forgot they got another actor to replace Daniel Pesina as Johnny Cage in MK Trilogy lol.

I keep forgetting how clunky the old games were, but I still had fun though. I’ve been wanting to replay this for a long time.

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Yeah I get that they like money but what is it about this decision that is going to put more money on the table is part of what I'm getting at. 

It isn't so much that they get more money, but both the NFL and NFLPA are likely not keen on their players being portrayed as human crash dummies who can walk off insane hits and such. Also promoting such a product ruins the keep the game safe image they have been pushing for the last several years.

Midway tried to do Blitz without the license and failed. While it can be argued they over did it with the controversy, the lack of a true  NFL brand hurt it. So if Blitz is to come back, it will have to reflect the current game and tone stuff down that can make the game look unsafe.

...and just like that, the Dead Cells addiction has come back.  I got that complete version on Steam now.  First run I made it past Concierge and to Fractured Shrines....and there was my downfall when I couldn't resist the lure of the cursed chest....it was funny, I ran towards one of the archers....then remembered "oh yeah...there's a swinging log trap here" as I had stepped on the damn ground button that triggers it 🤣.....and it's designed so the log hits you if you try to jump away, which is brilliantly devious since your instinct will be to try and run or roll away from it.... it's better to just roll forward.  

8 hours ago, Wellman said:

It isn't so much that they get more money, but both the NFL and NFLPA are likely not keen on their players being portrayed as human crash dummies who can walk off insane hits and such. Also promoting such a product ruins the keep the game safe image they have been pushing for the last several years.

Midway tried to do Blitz without the license and failed. While it can be argued they over did it with the controversy, the lack of a true  NFL brand hurt it. So if Blitz is to come back, it will have to reflect the current game and tone stuff down that can make the game look unsafe.

This still kind of a dumb reason.  Blitz is not trying to be realistic...that's the point of the game since day 1.  If they had did this with NBA Jam or NBA Playgrounds and said the reason was because it didn't "reflect the way the real game is played now"  my only response I'd be able to give is "No shit?".

I am just telling you how it probably is. A game like the original Blitz with any sort of NFL or NFLPA backing is like those old biggest hits/highlights videos they used to sell on TV, selling things like that undermine the current arguments that the game is something safe and promotes a playing style they are for legal and financial reasons desperately trying to distance themselves from.

A Blitz game could occur but it would have to be Mutant League or something leaning into a non realistic setting and cast of playable characters.

1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Yo, @MillionX, did you ever download that poo game I posted a steam link for?  Just curious if it was actually any fun?

Ohhh I forgot; I'll have to check it out.  Any game involving big-time toilet humor... of course it demands my attention

This also reminded me---there's a moment in that 360 Duke Nukem game that finally came out where you can pick up a turd fresh from the toilet and carrying it around...you can even throw it at enemies!😆

38 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I haven't even watched this yet but it already brings back memories... yep, I had Mario Bros. on the 2600, and it was one of my most played games back then... funny how that was considered "decent" graphics, at least from the point of view of a kid at the time....(though arcade visuals smoked the home systems at that time, obviously).  I also had the 2600 version of Donkey Kong Jr. and Donkey Kong.  haha it was funny how DK Jr. looked so fat when he's just standing....but yeah I still have the carts, manuals and my original system after all those years.  The manuals are still in good condition too, as I eventually put all of them in a plastic bag...not even for preservation but more just for keeping them all in 1 spot, but it's like going back in time when I look at the old art and all that.