Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I think they mix they have for SF6 for the starting roster is actually pretty solid.  22 characters, half the roster is SF2 returners and the other 11 are newer characters.  The only thing that's glaring is that the starting roster has NOBODY from SF3.  They have one new character that has vague influences of one of the characters from SF3 aaaand that's it.  So hopefully that will be rectified later.

6 hours ago, Wellman said:

The only flaw I am seeing with SF6 is that roster is heavy on returning SF2 alumni. I get why, they are even at the least liked among the most popular characters in gaming history and all fit or are easily tweaked into modern fighting game functions. But I am one of the crazy folks that grew to love how SF3 had no returning characters besides Ryu and Ken which itself was just like SF2 give or take Sagat as a boss character. I understand the business and how it help logistics but I really would prefer to see new characters or at least less frequent returning cast members.

You are in the minority and I'm right there with you. I like new characters in my new games. I understand that every SF roster will be heavy with SF2 characters. I wish they rotate like a half dozen of the 17 SF2 characters instead of putting entirety of the World Warriors in every time. Like you I enjoyed SF3 from the outset, I liked seeing new characters and wondering what they were about. Then again, I like the fact they we are getting new themes. I like the classic themes but they've been remixing for three decades now. There is an interesting dichotomy in gaming. People claim want new things. Truthfully they don't. They want a slightly different take of the same thing. They really don't want new things. If you give them new things they complain about it being too different.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/blazblue-series-creator-toshimichi-mori-leaves-arc-system-works

BlazBlue series creator Toshimichi Mori leaves Arc System Works

Mori departs fighting games developer after 19 years.

BlazBlue series creator Toshimichi Mori has left Arc System Works after 19 years, he announced.

Get the full message from Mori below.

I have something to report to all of the users. I, Toshimichi Mori, have left Arc System works, the company I worked at for many years.

I first joined Arc System works after working on Guilty Gear X as an employee of PicPac, and I cherish many of the experiences I have had during my 20 years there, whether it was working for various fighting game titles, developing my own title BlazBlue, or connecting with many of our users.

I have nothing but gratitude towards the staff of Arc System Works and others who have worked with me, as well as all the users who supported us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I will depart from Arc System Works. This may cause some feelings of anxiety, especially among fans of the BlazBlue series. For this, I sincerely apologize.

At the moment I’m thinking of creating and delivering a game for the users in some way, and am going to focus my strength on that endeavor. Your support would be much appreciated.

—Toshimichi Mori

Edited by Hecatom

Random, but I'm confused.

What does Infinity Ward get out of making their Call of Duty games worse and worse?

I gave up on IW after MW2019. I tried the free beta they have this week though, and holy shit. They doubled down on every stupid thing they've been doing (like loud footsteps and limited Dead Silence) and added more stupid shit on top of it. This new perk system they have, for instance, is fiery, bend-the-light-around-it garbage. I haven't heard anyone say they like it, or all the bad old shit returning.

I have ZERO clue why they're doing all this. The cynic in me says they're exclusively catering to casuals and people that may buy stuff. But that doesn't make sense. I don't see how this is fun, for even casuals. Also, if the Multiplayer was good AND Warzone was good, that's more potential for people to buy stuff. Yet they're doing stuff nobody with a brain seems to like, and doubling down on it when people say to get rid of/tweak it.

Can anyone who knows more about these games (or the business in general) fill me in on what I'm not seeing?

15 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

The FGC has only one Truth and that Truth is Street Fighter.
Without any of the original SF cast, there no Street Fighter and no FGC.

True but no body talks about Mike or Retsu like they do Honda and Guile.

Edit: I joke but for real I would like to see Retsu come back and get an updated design. I don't know if is the bald head and weird brows but I feel like he could be fun to play.

Edited by Wellman
48 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Eagle is one of my mains in cvs 2 so if they somehow decided to bring him back on a whim I would be pretty happy.

I never mained him but I’d mess around with him a lot cause cause his combos were really fun. 

My two teams were C-Iori/Ken/Sagat R2 and V-Iori/Terry/Sakura R2. 

If I were to say down and relearn CvS2 though I’d likely use totally different teams. 

BTW, People are already saying that Multiversus dead, lol.

This is due the game losing a great chunk of players already, which, of course it would.

Every game sooner or later loses from 80% to 90% of its top player count, which doesn't necessarily means that they are not playing the game anymore, but that they play it in rotation, for example.

Then add that is a platform fighter, and like fighting games, they have a limited appeal.

Even if this one is a 2 vs 2, which allows to minimize the kickback that most 1vs1 games have, it still has the other stuff that usually ends turning away people from them, since they don't offer instant gratification, even if Multiversus has all the crap that I hate from free to play games into trying to turn games into jobs.

The game just had the benefit of being f2p, so with such low barrier to entry, more people where willing to give it a try.

Starting next year, Steam will be dropping the Lunar New Year Sale and replacing it with a seasonal Spring sale as a way to spread out sale events throughout the year.

So the upcoming Steam sale calendar will be:

• Autumn Sale: November 22-29
  • Winter Sale: December 22-January 5
  • Spring Sale: March 16-23

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-is-dropping-lunar-new-year-sales-and-adding-a-big-new-spring-sale/