Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

57 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

It's been fucked up so often (particularly on the switch). The importance of optimization can never be overstated.

Absolutely not, and that's not what I'm trying to say. I think optimization is important and should be scrutinized (tho important to not go over board) it's just funny to finally see it trending as important when people literally made excuses for it in the past and gave awards to stuff that on a technical level performed like total dog shit. 

vids

Spoiler

^ Azure Striker Gunvolt 3 - Content Update 4 trailer

Extra

This showed up in my youtube feed..

And I was like...What is this?  Some sort of fan animation like A Fox in Space for Starfox?  Come to find out it's a whole ass fan Starfox game that....I'm honestly going to say I'm pretty impressed by

I'm watching the gameplay for what they've done so far and some of the movement and feel looked like it was pretty awesome!  It felt like I was legitimately watching a proper updated Starfox 64 with proper updates to gameplay feel.  Graphics need some work but I'm not super concerned about that since the gameplay was what hooked me especially when shit started hitting the fan.  I couldn't help but think of 2 things....1.  Nintendo is going to nuke this shit out of orbit.  and 2. I'd love for Nintendo to give the franchise another shot while doing something like this or at least give these guys or Platinum another shot at doing this without Miyamoto's interference.

Yeah, it is one thing to talk about a fan game by some other companies where they don't care about it. But anything Nintendo that grows enough buzz and is fan made won't survive the legal ninjas. Putting it out there you are doing it before you are done is not going to end well unless you can pivot into it being "inspired by" or "homage" type of game.

46 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

vids

Hide contents

This is a trend that kind of annoys me with modern games.

One of the worst was the last Horizon, to the point of of detriment of the game.

Alloy never SHUTS THE FUCK UP, lol.

It almost make you hate her (though the in game characterization on the 2nd game makes sure of that happening.)

It should be an option to turn off the hints.

So far, the one that made something like this work the best was Dragon's Dogma, and that more than a decade ago.

36 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

This is a trend that kind of annoys me with modern games.

One of the worst was the last Horizon, to the point of of detriment of the game.

Alloy never SHUTS THE FUCK UP, lol.

It almost make you hate her (though the in game characterization on the 2nd game makes sure of that happening.)

It should be an option to turn off the hints.

So far, the one that made something like this work the best was Dragon's Dogma, and that more than a decade ago.

Elden Ring does a decent job of not holding your hand.

And yeah, Aloy comes across as a bitch in HFW 😂

30 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Elden Ring does a decent job of not holding your hand.

And yeah, Aloy comes across as a bitch in HFW 😂

I think is worse, she comes as a bland char and a bitch at the same time 🤣

The writers are so focused on making her seem like a badass that forgot to give her a personality.

But I think I should be grateful that her personality is not "look how quirky I am"

Hearing her thoughts be like that would have been insufferable.

Spoiler

I think that they "tried" to give her a personality using the other clone as a juxtaposition of both extremes, but that is not how it works.

Dunno how they made it, but they managed to make her worse than HZD, where she was already bland, but at least you felt she had an actual arc there.

At least at the beginning.

Edited by Hecatom

I've been trying to watch more videos of the work they've done on this Starfox fan game and it looks like they've been working on this for at least 8+ years.  That's crazy that they've been able to do all they've done so far under the radar for 5 years AND hire the original voice actress for Krystal from SFA.  I'm finding it hard to believe that Nintendo doesn't know about this at this point and i'm assuming that this might be an AM2R situation where the powers that be no about it but they're waiting until they're actually done before they send the ninjas.   They also have a Zelda RTS project that I haven't been able look at but yeah...I'm convinced Nintendo has to know about these guys and they're just going wait until they're done.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

People need to stop babysitting that stupid company. One of the laziest devs there is. 

Where's a new DrillDozer you cowards!?!?!?!?!?!

I don’t think it’s that they’re lazy. It’s just that they’re on just as tight of a schedule if not tighter than the COD coal mines but with much, much, much less staff. So they’ve never really learn optimization tools and programs. 

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, iStu X said:

I don’t think it’s that they’re lazy. It’s just that they’re on just as tight of a schedule if not tighter than the COD coal mines but with much, much, much less staff. So they’ve never really learn optimization tools and programs. 

I really just wanted another opportunity to demand a new DrillDozer...lol

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, iStu X said:

Yea it may not be laziness but there's some level of incompetence going on here, a turn based RPG running like this is inexcusable. 

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

yyyyeah....I don't think this is on the Switch's hardware and it's more of what Stu said.  I think both NIntendo and Gamefreak are probably going to need to rethink their Pokemon pipeline and/or hire more people to make sure that the game is up to performance before the games release.  If adhering to a strict 4 year dev cycle for new games is the only way moving forward with no wiggle room then things are only going to get worse when they get to the new system. 

Edit:

Honestly I'm kinda disappointed in Nintendo for not just pushing the game back.  They're usually better about ironing out issues in games they publish but I suppose the waters get a bit muddied when it comes to franchises they only have some control in and not 100%.

Edited by Sonichuman
10 hours ago, RSG3 said:

People need to stop babysitting that stupid company. One of the laziest devs there is. 

Where's a new DrillDozer you cowards!?!?!?!?!?!

I would like to see game freak do more non pokemon projects. Drill dozer, Tembo and Giga wrecker are great games.

Nintendo should take a cue from CoD and have different teams work on different generations.

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I would like to see game freak do more non pokemon projects. Drill dozer, Tembo and Giga wrecker are great games.

Nintendo should take a cue from CoD and have different teams work on different generations.

The problem is that is not only Nintendo call, since Gamefreak is a coowner of the franchise alongside Nintendo and Creature.

With the Pokemon Company being a the joint effort between the 3 as to have an entity that oversees the multimedia efforts.

With all this pokemon conversation, I wonder If is because they keep working on their engine alongside making the game, sure it looks like it.

Also, is clear that before the jump to the switch, Gamefreak didn't have any experience with the current game design model they are going for, seeing that their 3 games so far have similar issues across the board.

Since I don't know their internal workings, I wonder If they have ever asked Nintendo for consultanship regardless of making an open world-ish game, since they have the knowledge and tools after BotW.

Unless is a situation where the team behind BotW dosn't want to share tech, which from what I know, at least in the past, it was something very common inside Nintendo. (And other game companies.)

28 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Since I don't know their internal workings, I wonder If they have ever asked Nintendo for consultanship regardless of making an open world-ish game, since they have the knowledge and tools after BotW.

Unless is a situation where the team behind BotW dosn't want to share tech, which from what I know, at least in the past, it was something very common inside Nintendo. (And other game companies.)

IIRC, The BotW team did consult monolith on the open world design as they have experience with that type of game. They even aided in it's design.