Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

On 11/18/2022 at 5:40 PM, iStu X said:

Literally every community for gaming franchises do this though and so do companies. So why does Pokémon and GameFreak get held over the coals for it so harshly? 

Bethesda’s bread and butter is making unplayable garbage but their games still sell millions upon millions of copies. The CEO of their company has even joked about how their games are unplayable garbage yet they still sell like crazy. 

I mean FFS Skyrim is how old and has been released on how many SKU’s and it’s still a fucking pile of garbage 

Because Nintendo always brag about having a higher standard.

Edited by DarkSakul
12 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I'm only 14 hours in and I just met that dready bitch in the forest. I'm loving it, but I'm taking my time. Wish I had more time to play but being a dad takes priority.

It's definitely a slow burn. The main reason for my criticism is how things switch up in the middle of the game. 

I'll be honest, this was a pretty  tall order (emotionally) for me to go through. There are several qualities of Kratos personality in the "reboot" that my father carried, especially when it came to his kids. Playing through it just reminded me how much I miss him. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
On 11/18/2022 at 5:40 PM, iStu X said:

Literally every community for gaming franchises do this though and so do companies. So why does Pokémon and GameFreak get held over the coals for it so harshly? 

Bethesda’s bread and butter is making unplayable garbage but their games still sell millions upon millions of copies. The CEO of their company has even joked about how their games are unplayable garbage yet they still sell like crazy. 

I mean FFS Skyrim is how old and has been released on how many SKU’s and it’s still a fucking pile of garbage 

Nintendo is held to a higher standard than Bethesda. Like RSG3 said, I will have the Nexus mods ready to make their games functional. I don't think of Nintendo when it comes to buggy half baked releases. That kind of release from Nintendo stands out way more than usual.

Quite a few sales to think about for  me lately... on PSN there's Miles Morales Spiderman = 20 bucks, and Alienation being 4.99 until 11/29.  Weird West is also on sale for 20 bucks but there's a nitpick getting in the way there---I don't like that due to the story, you are forced to play certain characters from what I see.  Even though you eventually play through all of them, I always like having a choice of which character I want to play.  If it weren't for that, this game would've been a sure thing for me, easily.  ...kind of reminds me of the one main complaint I and a friend had about the first iteration of Phantasy Star Universe... in story mode, you are forced to play as Ethan Waber instead of your custom character... at least for the first half of the story.  Heh, I don't think any of the fans liked this detail of the game, because most agreed that Ethan was lame.... haha nobody wanted to be that guy.

Diablo 3---back at it today; I tried the new Trag'Oul set and it's good though my build for that isn't fully optimized just yet.  My Rathma Army of Dead build is pretty much perfected at this point so my necro is godmode now....GR90s are "easy" at this point, and I just finished a GR111 for the first time; the payout on that was 65 billion xp, 38 mil gold....and I'm up to paragon 801 now.....

...ha, on another run....just hit one monster for 160 trillion damage 😆 the damage is just disgusting.

Edited by MillionX

Best Buy updated its website to show the Black Friday video game deals in effect for 2022. As expected, there will be a number of offers in-store and online. Consoles will be available, and the site notes there are sale tiers with games getting 50%, 70%, and 80% off discounts.

First, the announcement involved some console offers that will be available. Best Buy noted it will have the God of War: Ragnarok PS5 bundle in-stock. The Xbox Series S 512GB system will be $249.99, rather than $299.99, just like other stores. The $299.99 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Switch bundle with three months of Nintendo Switch Online is also there.

Here are some of the most notable Best Buy Black Friday 2022 video game deals.

• 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Switch) – $29.99
  • Capcom Fighting Collection (PS4, Switch, Xbox One) – $19.99
  • Crash Bandicoot 4 (PS4, Switch) – $29.99
  • Death Stranding (PS4) – $9.99
  • Death Stranding Director’s Cut (PS5) – $19.99
  • Demon’s Souls (PS5) – $29.99
  • Elden Ring (PS4, PS5, Xbox) – $39.99
  • Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut (PS4, PS5) – $19.99 on PS4, $29.99 on PS5
  • Ghostwire Tokyo (PS5, PC) – $24.99
  • Grand Theft Auto V Premium Edition (PS4) – $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto V Standard Edition (PS5, XSX) – $19.99
  • Horizon Forbidden West (PS4) – $29.99
  • Immortals Fenix Rising (Switch) – $9.99
  • It Takes Two (PS4, Xbox) – $19.99
  • Lost Judgment (PS5) – $14.99
  • Monster Hunter Rise (Switch) – $24.99
  • The Nioh Collection (PS5) – $29.99
  • Nioh 2 (PS4, PS5) – $19.99
  • Pac-Man World Re-Pac (PS5, Xbox) – $19.99
  • Persona 5 Royal (PS5, Switch) – $29.99
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (PS4) – $19.99
  • Resident Evil Village with SteelBook Case (PS4, PS5, Xbox) – $19.99
  • Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster (PS4, Switch) – $19.99
  • Skyrim 10th Anniversary Edition (PS4, Xbox) – $19.99
  • Sonic Colors Ultimate (PS4, Switch, Xbox) – $14.99
  • Sonic Frontiers (Switch, Xbox) – $39.99
  • Sonic Mania + Team Sonic Racing (Switch) – $24.99
  • Soul Hackers 2 (PS4, PS5, Xbox) – $29.99
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival (Switch) – $24.99
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection (Switch, Xbox) – $24.99
  • Them’s Fightin’ Herds (PS4, PS5, Switch) – $19.99
  • WarioWare: Get It Together (Switch) – $32.99
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4, PS5, Xbox) – $19.99

The Best Buy Black Friday video game deals will be in effect until November 26, 2022.

Hell yeah I beat that "Boss Mode" conquest in Diablo 3 just now... and easily on the first attempt with my Crusader... the build isn't even fully optimized and I got it with 2 minutes to spare. (beat almost all the bosses within 20 minutes of starting a game).  I'm doing this challenge with Crusader from now on because that fast "Steed Charge" ability is just too good....you get huge movement speed, and with certain builds you always have that ability ready to go again and again.  Last time, which was the first time I beat this conquest to complete the entire season of challenges, I used a Demon Hunter... fairly easy but it was closer to the time limit than with my Crusader.  I figure the Witch Doctor is likely a prime candidate as well since he and the Monk are actually the fastest characters if I recall.  I had a stop watch app close by to see how I was doing on the time limit.

...so now I have the cool zombie doggy pet and character portrait reward.

10 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Got to the actual "end" credits roll for God of War when you see a character off. Right before the close, one of the riddle's is answered. 

Mr T Crying GIF

That hit me in the feels. They earned a slow clap.

Yeah, that hit me hard too.

I'm on a side quest where I'm killing Odin's ravens, returning them to the Raven Tree. I feel there's a revelation coming there. I have a suspicion about the "true nature" of this tree. If it is what I think it is... ugh.

1 hour ago, axeman61 said:

Yeah, that hit me hard too.

It was a couple of things.

Not only is it what happens but the answer. It is the exact word I used to describe everything I have felt in the last few months. It is also mastery in gaming mo-cap with facial expressions. One character said not a single word and you read five different emotions across their face. I sat through the entire credits and just let the tears run. As I mentioned, this game was emotionally taxing going through it. Besides a man-tear hear and there it was nothing that really had me in the feels. That scene took everything I had emotionally bottled up and wrung it out like a wet towel. The answer to the riddle was setup and payoff with perfect execution. 

1 hour ago, axeman61 said:

I'm on a side quest where I'm killing Odin's ravens, returning them to the Raven Tree. I feel there's a revelation coming there. I have a suspicion about the "true nature" of this tree. If it is what I think it is... ugh.

Yeah, it's not good. I finished the ravens before getting to the post game. There is a line spoken and you know what you will need to do at the close of it. In Kratos words - "Ready yourself". 

2 minutes ago, Lantis said:

I remember watching G4 back in the day and for some reason I saw Tommy Tallarico reviewing Guilty Gear X2 and giving it a bad grade because "he could spam a move over and over and win". Wasn't aware he was a video game music composer but he certainly struck a wrong cord with me LOL

His review for Ikaruga back then was equally inane and nonsensical lol. He also shit ont he music which is just...fucking what!?!?! Lol

Edited by RSG3
4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Hahaha yea, Tommy Tallarico is a huge douchebag. Has been for years and years.

Hes not even that good a composer honestly.

I remember that guy getting hyped up in the magazines back in the 90's, never understood why. Think about all the great music we got in the 8 a 16 bit eras from Capcom, Konami, SNK, Square, etc- not a single thing TT composed stood up to those. I felt the same was about Shiny (Earthworm Jim sucked balls) and a lot of other hyped up Western devs of that era as well. Maybe it was because so many of the guys writing for the magazines desperately wanted to work directly in the industry when there wasn't much opportunity to do so over here. 

Come to think of it, I'm also reminded of the hype that the giant knob Itagaki received- I've long thought that was the product of MS's marketing dollars coupled with Itagaki trying his goddamndest to look/act like a rockstar. He hung out with a bunch of dork and made them feel like they were part of the cool kids club, ergo tons of them were quick to polish his knob and overrate his games (and his contributions to said games) to hell. 

I like Earthworm Jim. They're fun games *(the first two) Ninja Gaiden Black is a Goat but neither studio is/was top shelf tho, like Shiney made Enter the Matrix lol. 

Tommy's music has kinda always sucked, most memorable track in EWJ1 was Night on Bald Mountain as the background track for Heck and Evil the Cat lol. Not even his fucking tune lol. 

And for Itagaki like NG/B was a highlight but I never got into DOA and the rest of their action games don't touch NGB for me. Maybe NGII now the Xbone X One Infinity or whatever it's called can fix that games massive fucking performance issues, and even then I have my doubts since so many other aspects of NGII where a step back from NG/B for me. 

Edited by RSG3

I'm still trying to listen through this Roblox/Tommy Tallarico video and holy shit at finding out that the MTv cribs thing wasn't even real.  God damn man.  This dude is a master class in gaslighting.  This man has been lying about so much shit for years right in front of people's faces that could be easily disproven and nobody bothered to check him on this entire time.  Honestly its pretty hilarious and I almost want to give him an applause for getting away with it for so long.  The absolute balls on this man lol.

Edit:  Finished it...wow...what a ride lol.

Edited by Sonichuman
3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

What is Itagaki up to these days? He fell off the face of the earth after Nintendo was forced to release Devil's third. His hatred for Tekken was hilarious

Making an announced game at his new company

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/dead-or-alive-and-modern-ninja-gaiden-creator-tomonobu-itagaki-establishes-itagaki-games

I remember when he called Heavenly Sword half-assed, one of Ninja Theory's staff had to respond

https://www.destructoid.com/big-mouth-itagaki-hates-buttons-and-heavenly-sword/

Edited by AriesWarlock
12 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I've been listening to his video from Hbomberguy regarding the OOF sound from Roblox and its going into this whole section regarding Tommy Tallarico that I didn't even know about. I did not know this guy was like this and its pretty disappointing.

Lol, The video being about the OOF sound was just an excuse to dunk on him, and I am loiving it, 🤣

BTW, I have not finished GOW:R yet, but so far I am really digging it, except for one little thing.

The game makes you feel weak, or should I say, makes Kratos feel weak, and I don't mean it in that the game is hard, but that many types of enemies on the game that shouldn't really be a problem for him, seeing his feats both in the greek era and on the asgard era, end being, end being trouble for him.

It makes him feel inconsistent, and well, is not really a problem unique to this game, but also GOW 2018.

41 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I think that's just a near unavoidable side effect of a series that has honestly suffered from Power Creep issues since day 1. 

Yeah, but in the case of the Asgard era is more egregious, I would even say, that the greek era didn't have so much power creep to begin with, since he felt consistent most of the time.

During the greek era he kept fighting with mythical creatures that were on par with the demigods strengths due their strength or magical abilities, other demigods, gods and titans.

Since he was referred as a demigod, the difference on his feats made more sense, since it was always portrayed as while he was stronger than a mortal, it required plenty of work for him to be able to keep up, sicen he was always fighting legions of enemies plus plenty of them were on a more massive scale than regular humanoid, with his more impressive feats being him taping into the rage in him that fueled his god powers, and being usually battles of attrition.

On the Asgard era, his feats have been heavily toned down, with very few being on par with his greek era, which in lore is explained that he has been holding up for son long that it has taken a toll on him, plus, also having to fight alongside weaker allies than him which handicap him more than help him (words straight from Corey Barlog), which, I can accept that.

But, then you have him having trouble with tadpoles, and the other mutant frog men on Svartalfheim 😅

Overall, the games have been lacking a lot of variety on enemies that make you feel like David vs Goliath, like the old games did.

Dunno if is because of the change of perspective, but then we have games from From Soft that also have a similar perspective and keep the David vs Goliath feeling with a lot of their enemies.

Also, the fact that he kepts being referred as a god was and still is something that makes me chuckle, since by the end of the greek era he lost his godhood, so he is just a demigod again, which knowing that, makes the Asgard gods feel waaaaaaaaaaay weaker than their greek counterparts.

Which seeing some events and conversations on the games, it is obviously intentional

Spoiler

Like when Mimir, Freya and Kratos talk about his encouter with the Fates, where they mention that no creature/god on the Asgard pantheon has power over time that could allow something like Kratos going back in time to erase the fate where he loses.

Another little grievance is that in some ways, I feel like Kratos lost a lot of the range in emotions that he had during the greek era.

I know why they went this route, but sometimes it feels like he is too much stoicism from his part.

To the point that at times it feels like a contrivance to keep the whole fate theme of the plot going on, when it can be easily dismantled by the fact that he already defied fate multiple times, and even killed the representation of the abstract concept of fate during the greek era.

Like I said, those are not massive problems for me, since the games are still great, but at times is noticeable.

(It also doesn't help that I am a massive fan of the greek era of the GoW series 😅)

Edited by Hecatom