Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

y'know, I miss that "Marvel Heroes" mmo that was out a few years ago; it was fun... despite being unfortunately in that genre.  If it was a normal game with an offline mode, this could still be played today.  On PC I had Loki, which was the only newer (non-default) character I had unlocked.  It later came to the consoles fortunately, but didn't last long after that.... if I recall it was another case of Disney pulling the funding, so they had no choice but to close the game servers... and of course with an online-only thing, that kills it.

It's good to see a video on "Lost Soul Aside", confirming that it's still in the works at least.  This is bought day 1, easy:

ha, I admire the casual delivery of the venom this guy posted about D4 here

I'd still be so much more into it if they just made the damn thing like a normal game....y'know....functional offline.  It's tragic that "offline play" is now an unexpected (and unlikely) feature in major games these days.

Edited by MillionX

Honestly I'm still trying to process exactly how much Tommy Tallarico gaslit people for years and was never called out on it.  I'm watching a reaction video of one of the people that interviewed him in Hbombs video and their reactions to this have been great.

There's just so much shit lol.

Edit:

"Its one thing to fake it till you make it...but he made it and kept faking it."  I fucking can't lol

Edited by Sonichuman
11 hours ago, Hecatom said:

BTW, I have not finished GOW:R yet, but so far I am really digging it, except for one little thing.

The game makes you feel weak, or should I say, makes Kratos feel weak, and I don't mean it in that the game is hard, but that many types of enemies on the game that shouldn't really be a problem for him, seeing his feats both in the greek era and on the asgard era, end being, end being trouble for him.

It makes him feel inconsistent, and well, is not really a problem unique to this game, but also GOW 2018.

100% agree with this take. However, I felt that it made more sense in 2018, but not this game. As @RSG3mentioned in a post, power-scaling has been an issue but this seems to make less sense here. At least moving from one game to the next (GOW1 - GOW3) there was a process for stripping your powers. The game alludes to the fact Fimbulwinter did it, but that doesn't really make sense especially since Atreus is stronger this go round. Couple that with the fact that many of the enemies are the same, it just feels like you got reset due to reasons. In game, the difficulty issue still presents itself from the 2018 game. It seems more like difficulty is "they hit harder, you hit softer" than any difference in moveset or tactics. I refuse to play this game on Give Me God of War. I don't want to spend 2 minutes fighting a level 1 Raider and it narratively feels wrong to feel so significantly underpowered. 

As a side, I've gone through about half of the final challenges and one of the secret bosses where the Crucible is located. I appreciate the fact that in this game, I have only died because of my stupidity. There were several times in the 2018 release where it was the game itself that killed me. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
10 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Wasn't Tengen supposed to be Atari under another name?

Yes Tengens parant company was Atari. They where formed as a way to side step Nintendos leasing regulations back during the NES era where 3rd parties where only allowed to release so many titles a year for the hardware (13 titles a year i think it was). Nintendo didn't want to flood the market like Atari had a few years earlier. By forming Tengen they could side step that regulation since they where technically not Atari even tho they totally where. 

Konami did the exact same thing with their Ultra brand line of games. Snakes Revenge was released here under the Ultra Lable for example. 

Edited by RSG3

Everything Coming To The Witcher 3 In The Free New-Gen Upgrade

The open-world RPG once hounded for post-E3 ‘downgrades’ gets a second chance on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S

One of the best games of the last decade is about to get even better, and for free to everyone who already owns it. CD Projekt Red finally revealed everything that will be included in The Witcher 3’s new-gen upgrade, and even showed off a bit of it in action with a new trailer. The long wait for the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S versions definitely seems worth it, and fans are already meticulously picking over granular improvements to shadows, reflections, and foliage.

And here’s everything in the free upgrade:

• 60fps performance mode or 30fps with ray tracing (except on Series S)
  • Haptic feedback on PS5
  • Over-the-shoulder camera and photo mode on PC
  • Cross-save between PS5, Series X/S, and PC
  • Button shortcuts for Sign magic
  • Map filter to remove flood of “?” symbols
  • Option to have mini-map disappear while on horseback or during combat
  • Bigger subtitle fonts
  • Questline for acquiring gear inspired by Henry Cavill’s Geralt portrayal in the Netflix series (RIP)
  • Optional Netflix-style costumes for Ciri, Yen, Tris, Dandelion, and Nilfgaardian soldiers (lol)
  • Other, more granular graphics options, updates, and bug fixes

5 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

The game alludes to the fact Fimbulwinter did it

I probablly missed this, but I don't recall the game alluding that Fimbulwinter affected Kratos in any way, specially because he is not a god of the land and the games have actually alluded that him being an outside of context problem is what has been changing the supposed fate of Asgard, like bringing Ragnarok sooner, killing Modi and Magni which were some of the few gods to survive Ragnarok and so on.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

@Sonichumanand any other 3D Sonic fans, this Indi game showed up in my feed and it looks pretty honestly. Spark the Electric Jester 3. Apparently there are two previous ones....

Anyway this looks kinda sick. Thought you might to. 

I'm aware of Spark the Jester and it's mostly due to some of the people behind the music for the games (Andy Tunstall, Falk Au Yeong, Funk Fiction, James Ladino)

So I finally played through Azure Striker Gunvolt a couple months ago- being a longtime fan of the X and Zero games and a fan of Inticreates 2d stuff in general, I enjoyed the gameplay. Have had it my steam library for a while but hadn't played more than a stage due to the cringe factor being overwhelming- dying and having to hear shitty J-pop for the rest of the stage turned me off pretty quickly. Picked up part 2 and the Luminous blah blah on sale a bit after, just started part 2 yesterday. Cool gameplay so far, but holy shit I wish Inti would just go straight old school and leave the story as minimal as possible. It was a big reminder of why I generally can't stand anime- Gunvolt's characters and world make the the Itagaki Ninja Gaiden games look well written. Does anyone honestly enjoy that kind of drivel? I can't help but think this type of writing is aimed exclusively at pillow humpers like this guy:

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Honestly I'm still trying to process exactly how much Tommy Tallarico gaslit people for years and was never called out on it.  I'm watching a reaction video of one of the people that interviewed him in Hbombs video and their reactions to this have been great.

There's just so much shit lol.

Edit:

"Its one thing to fake it till you make it...but he made it and kept faking it."  I fucking can't lol

Something from that complete video that they touch upon is that Hbombs didn't credit a lot of the sources that the info he talks baout on the video comes from because he didn't want to direct his viewers to their channels because he doesn't like thier politics, which if you check his patreon (Hbombs) is what he said.

Something that tbh, doesn't surprise me.

I like his videos, but the dude is a massive twat when it comes to politics, calling a lot of people he doesn't agree racists and white supremacists (like on the Tommy video at the beginning.)

6 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Something from that complete video that they touch upon is that Hbombs didn't credit a lot of the sources that the info he talks baout on the video comes from because he didn't want to direct his viewers to their channels because he doesn't like thier politics, which if you check his patreon (Hbombs) is what he said.

I like his videos, but the dude is a massive twat when it comes to politics, calling a lot of people he doesn't agree racists and white supremacists (like on the Tommy video at the beginning.)

This is something I'm hearing about in a bigger reaction video from earlier.

7 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

That's an asshole move. Obviously their politics didn't affect the quality of their work or else who wouldn't have used it.

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I probablly missed this, but I don't recall the game alluding that Fimbulwinter affected Kratos in any way, specially because he is not a god of the land and the games have actually alluded that him being an outside of context problem is what has been changing the supposed fate of Asgard, like bringing Ragnarok sooner, killing Modi and Magni which were some of the few gods to survive Ragnarok and so on.

Once was very early on in the game where Brok mentions it when you first upgrade the axe. Not too much earlier, Kratos mentions how it wears everything down but It's not shown in a way that I could believe my max-stat build from 2018 lost all the gainz. 

7 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Once was very early on in the game where Brok mentions it when you first upgrade the axe. Not too much earlier, Kratos mentions how it wears everything down but It's not shown in a way that I could believe my max-stat build from 2018 lost all the gainz. 

Ah, yeah, now I remember.

Yeah, but that one was from his equipment and weapons, but not his own power.

The only thing I know they have touched upon is that at least for what Mimir and Athreus have theorized

Spoiler

is that he lost a lot of his greek era magic because he is no longer there/the magic is tied to the land it comes from and that many of them came from relics blessed by the greek gods and titans, and direct blessings from them

But I say that it surprises me that Fimbulwinter  affects The Leviathan and specially the Blades of Chaos (It should be the Blades of Exile, but that is just a nitpick), since Leviathan is on the level of Mjölnir, and The Blades have been stated to not be affected by the magic of the land since they are forged in Hades.

I think the line was meant specifically towards the equipment and not their own strengths and mythical weapons

Edited by Hecatom

So in spite of the technical issues, I'm gonna get my niece Pokemon Scarlet because I know she wants it. I'll probably end up getting Violet to trade mons with her. 

Is the rival in Scarlet/Violet Hop 2.0? Every playthrough of Sword/Shield that I watched made me hate him. Never has the desire to dunk a fictional character's head into a grease frier ever been so strong.

4 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

So in spite of the technical issues, I'm gonna get my niece Pokemon Scarlet because I know she wants it. I'll probably end up getting Violet to trade mons with her. 

Is the rival in Scarlet/Violet Hop 2.0? Every playthrough of Sword/Shield that I watched made me hate him. Never has the desire to dunk a fictional character's head into a grease frier ever been so strong.

I have not played the game yet (still waiting for my switch 🥲), but for the looks of it, Nemona seems to be an actual confident "senpai" instead of a self depreciating childhood friend.

So that alone should change the dynamics

nemona-m.png

The only tetris I had on my nes was the Tengen one, so I don't know how the Nintendo one looked or played, in fact, I always thought it was the only Tetris on the console until the internet became a thing (and thought it was the official Nintendo game for years)

Me, my siblings and my front house neighbors used to play it a lot on the 2p mode back in the day.

What is interesting is that it came in a regular Nes cartridge instead of the Tengen black one.

I assume that it was either a bootleg version, or maybe Atari dumped a lot of their unsold copies on latin america.

Edited by Hecatom
12 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Oh yeah and Pokemon Scarlet and Violet have sold 10 mill in 3 days...breaking records of course

https://www.ign.com/articles/pokemon-scarlet-and-violet-sell-over-10-million-units-in-their-first-three-days-and-set-a-nintendo-record

"the highest global sales level for any software on any Nintendo platform" within that time frame

IMG_1963.gif

30 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I say this with all sincerity. Never heard of someone that preferred the Nintendo version before. 

The Nintendo version is objectively better in just about every way from graphics & music to the controls and how the randomizer works.

The randomizer in the Tengen version is terrible and you wind up getting 5-8 of the same piece followed by 5-8 of another piece sometimes because the algorithm they used sucks. The Nintendo version refined the randomizer in a cohesive way. Basically it rolls an 8 sided die, 1-7 being the 7 pieces and 8 being "reroll". If you get the same piece as the last piece you got, or you hit the reroll number, It'll roll a 2nd 7 sided die. This time you can get the same piece as your previous one and the roll is final.

All this to say it's basically random with a slight bias against the same piece twice in a row.

Tengen Tetris doesn't even have counterclockwise rotation if I remember right, so it takes you three button presses to put the piece in the same position it takes you 1 press in the Nintendo version which is super important when the game speeds up.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they liked the Tengen version better, although it's worth playing as a curiosity because I believe it's actually closer to the game as Alexei Pazhitnov originally created it, but I think even Alexei himself would agree that Nintendo really polished up and improved the game in a big way.

Btw who are these people you're hanging out with? 😂

Ninja non-Edit: I think Nintendo actually wanted to include a 2 player mode but decided to leave it out for some reason, but it's still in the code and can be accessed with a Game Genie.

Edited by DoctaMario
13 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Hehe got two people in the thread saying one is better then the other and there's no arguing it lol. 

Just kinda funny. 

I can understand preferring Tenris if you played it a lot as a kid, don't really care about Tetris, or just want to be contrarian, but Nintendo's version is far far better even if just from a mechanical standpoint. It's like saying you'd rather play SF1 than Super Turbo but ymmv I suppose

Edited by DoctaMario
1 minute ago, DoctaMario said:

I can understand preferring Tenris if you played it a lot as a kid, don't really care about Tetris, or just want to be contrarian, but Nintendo's version is far far better even if just from a mechanical standpoint. It's like saying you'd rather play SF1 than Super Turbo but ymmv I suppose

Bro the multi-player alone can justify someone liking Tengen Tetris better. 

And I mean a lot of people prefer Turbo to Super Turbo or even Champion Edition, not everyone's favorite is Super Turbo so 🤷 

Just now, RSG3 said:

Bro the multi-player alone can justify someone liking Tengen Tetris better. 

And I mean a lot of people prefer Turbo to Super Turbo or even Champion Edition, not everyone's favorite is Super Turbo so 🤷 

I guess. Doesn't change the fact that it's a worse version by every other metric than that though.

The difference in mechanical and aesthetic refinement that happened between SF1 and ST is what I was getting at because it's almost that drastic a difference.

I get that I'm just saying "technically better" doesn't always translate to actually better for everyone. 

To go back to an old as fuck chestnut, DMC3 is technically better then DMC1 since you have so so so many more options but I still put 1 in more then 3 majority of the time. Shit I play MGS1 more then any of them even tho I claim 3 is my favorite lol. On a technical level it totally is, but is it really if I play the older far more often? Lol. 

Edited by RSG3