Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Just now, RSG3 said:

To go back to an old as fuck chestnut, DMC3 is technically better then DMC1 since you have so so so many more options but I still put 1 in more then 3 majority of the time.

GIF by BBC

Dunno how my take fares alongside the rest of the fandom, but after 3, I can't really go back to 1.

DMC1 feels soooooooo wrong to play nowdays, that outside being the precursor of the series, the gameplay, the tone, etc has aged badly for me.

Edited by Hecatom
12 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I get that I'm just saying "technically better" doesn't always translate to actually better for everyone. 

To go back to an old as fuck chestnut, DMC3 is technically better then DMC1 since you have so so so many more options but I still out 1 in more then 3 majority of the time. 

I understand that, and I'm not saying that anyone who prefers Tengen Tetris is wrong for doing so, just saying that, for the reasons I listed, Nestris is a better game because it does what Tentris was doing but in a much better and more refined way. And like I said, if you are casual with Tetris, then it doesn't really matter which you prefer as a long as it allows you to put blocks down and clear lines.

DMC3 essentially created a new thing that, as far as I'm aware, wasn't around before, so comparing the two isnt really a fair comparison anyway, but as a vibey atmospheric action game, I'd actually say 1 is the better game. 3 doesnt have anywhere close to the vibe 1 has even though by combat metrics it's a better game. 

Edited by DoctaMario
13 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Dunno how my take fares alongside the rest of the fandom, but after 3, I can't really go back to 1.

DMC1 feels soooooooo wrong to play nowdays, that outside being the precursor of the series, the gameplay, the tone, etc has aged badly for me.

I mean I play 1 far more often so my muscle memory is built to that game. I also LOVE the dark Gothic horror inspired setting unlike Temin Ni Gru which feels a lot more generic and far far less creepy and off putting. You lose that "I should be scared but I'm not because I'm the real monster" feeling in 3, 4 and 5. They're so much more "Shonen" then the first one if that makes sense. 3, 4 and 5 are like teen Shonen and DMC1 is like 80s alike horror but with Space Advabture Cobra as the main character lol. 

Also my egeberal hot take is while DMC3 has better combo system, DMC1 has far better actual combat. 5 gets pretty close tho! 

Like Mario just said 3s Combat is better but thats a hard disagree from me. It has a better combo system no doubt and your options in combat are definitely wider but the actual combat, the engagement between you and the enemies is way less dynamic and interesting imo. 

Edited by RSG3
15 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

GIF by BBC

While you won't be pulling off a lot of crazy shit in 1 like you can in 3, you really can do a lot.

Plus the combat in 1 feels really good, especially the guns. Imo Ebony & Ivory and the Shotgun never felt better to use than they do in 1. 3 is my favorite in the series, but 1 is right up there. 

Edited by DoctaMario
7 minutes ago, Camacho said:

I still enjoy DMC1 quite a bit, despite having sunk massively more time in 3. I definitely agree that the atmosphere is much better in 1, though it's simultaneously way more corny.

I feel like that's part of what makes its story, setting and MC so fun. The entire game plays its horror atmosphere and and enemy designs completely straight and then Dante just grins like a fucking goof at the whole situation. It's that whole "The monsters are stuck in here with me" vibe. 

5 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

While you won't be pulling off a lot of crazy shit in 1 like you can in 3, you really can do a lot.

Yea there's actually a lot of depth running under the surface of DMC1. Nightmare is still oen of the most interesting and complicated bosses I've ever played against in a game. Multi phase across multiple fight, very cool and interesting. 

I really like combat that feels kinda puzzle like, you gotta study the enemy, look for proper openings, actually engage with the enemy and not just the combo systems. It's why I really like Ninja Gaiden Black over like Ninja Gaiden 2, Black feels like engaging with dangerous, smart combatants, in 2 everyone's just an insane kamikaze asshole lmao. There is fun to be had with that but it gets kinda old for me after a bit. 

5 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Plus the combat in 1 feels really good, especially the guns. Imo Ebony & Ivory and the Shotgun never felt better to use than they do in 1.

Yea I think DMC1 still has the best audio and visual.impact design in the series. Everything Dante does feels like it hits fucking hard. Stinger feels like a Mac Truck. E&I feel like shotgun blasts in pistol form. They are so loud and impactful. It's all so fucking good lol. 

DMC1s sub menu design is still one of the absolute best I've ever seen in a game. 

Edited by RSG3

DMC1 had the best grunt level enemies of the series. 3's enemies didn't have that kind of depth, but they largely compensated for it with the number and combinations of enemies in each battle- and of course the exponentially greater pallet of options you had to deal with them. 3 also had much better (and way more) bosses, despite a few of them being lame.

Honestly, the biggest downside of 5 (other than V being boring to play) is the repetitive atmosphere. I can't help but wonder if budget constraints led to the endless barrage of veiny tree stages. Still love it though. Ironically, I think other than 1's more horror themed atmosphere, DmC had the coolest stages. The hostile morphing world thing was a cool idea, and well executed. Wish they had kept something like that in 5. 

Heh I also prefer DMC1s bosses to 3. 3s best are better then 1s best (except for Nightmare) but 3s worst are some of the fucking worst. Leviathan Heart sucks, Gigapede sucks, Jester sucks, Doppelganger sucks. 

I like all of DMC1s fights. They are all high quality. Better be since you have to fight each at least 3 times lol. 

5 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I feel like that's part of what makes its story, setting and MC so fun. The entire game plays its horror atmosphere and and enemy designs completely straight and then Dante just grins like a fucking goof at the whole situation. It's that whole "The monsters are stuck in here with me" vibe. 

Yea there's actually a lot of depth running under the surface of DMC1. Nightmare is still oen of the most interesting and complicated bosses I've ever played against in a game. Multi phase across multiple fight, very cool and interesting. 

I really like combat that feels kinda puzzle like, you gotta study the enemy, look for proper openings, actually engage with the enemy and not just the combo systems. It's why I really like Ninja Gaiden Black over like Ninja Gaiden 2, Black feels like engaging with dangerous, smart combatants, in 2 everyone's just an insane kamikaze asshole lmao. There is fun to be had with that but it gets kinda old for me after a bit. 

Yea I think DMC1 still has the best audio and visual.impact design in the series. Everything Dante does feels like it hits fucking hard. Stinger feels like a Mac Truck. E&I feel like shotgun blasts in pistol form. They are so loud and impactful. It's all so fucking good lol. 

DMC1s sub menu design is still one of the absolute best I've ever seen in a game. 

Yeah, that depth to each enemy really was something special. I liked the notes that unlocked for each enemy as you encountered more of their attacks- tricks like deflecting and 1 shotting the scissors or jumping on Shadow's spike and blasting away were really awesome. They put a lot of care and effort into those enemies.

23 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

DMC3 essentially created a new thing that, as far as I'm aware, wasn't around before, so comparing the two isnt really a fair comparison anyway, but as a vibey atmospheric action game, I'd actually say 1 is the better game. 3 doesnt have anywhere close to the vibe 1 has even though by combat metrics it's a better game. 

Always Sunny No GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I have to rethink our friendship

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Heh I also prefer DMC1s bosses to 3. 3s best are better then 1s best (except for Nightmare) but 3s worst are some of the fucking worst. Leviathan Heart sucks, Gigapede sucks, Jester sucks, Doppelganger sucks. 

I like all of DMC1s fights. They are all high quality. Better be since you have to fight each at least 3 times lol. 

I don't mind Jester, but yeah, those others blow. I think the way you're encouraged to spam the best DT skills on 1's bosses kind of hurts them. But on the other hand I do think DT was more interesting in 1, because of a) the DT only skills, and B) DT flux burst in 3 really discourages you from using it beyond those last 3 bars. I think the sin DT in 5 hurts it in the same way- generally, the smart thing to do is save all your meter for SDT, which isn't actually that fun to use on account of it being super OP. 1 and 4 have the best DT, IMO. If only capcom had been willing to give 4 another year or so in the oven before release. The tone would have still been lame, but with more unique levels and bosses it would have been way better- the combat was rock solid, and they actually tried to make some of the fodder enemies more like 1's.  

24 minutes ago, Camacho said:

I don't mind Jester, but yeah, those others blow. I think the way you're encouraged to spam the best DT skills on 1's bosses kind of hurts them. But on the other hand I do think DT was more interesting in 1, because of a) the DT only skills, and B) DT flux burst in 3 really discourages you from using it beyond those last 3 bars. I think the sin DT in 5 hurts it in the same way- generally, the smart thing to do is save all your meter for SDT, which isn't actually that fun to use on account of it being super OP. 1 and 4 have the best DT, IMO. If only capcom had been willing to give 4 another year or so in the oven before release. The tone would have still been lame, but with more unique levels and bosses it would have been way better- the combat was rock solid, and they actually tried to make some of the fodder enemies more like 1's.  

Agreed RE 4. That game is asstastic outside of bloody palace and really, playing Dante in BP is pretty much the highlight of that game.

I also don't know what they were thinking making Nero so limited in that game, especially coming off DMC3. Nero was possibly my favorite character to play in 5 but he was hella dull in 4 imo. To me, 4 is the worst game in the series other than 2.

6 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I have not played the game yet (still waiting for my switch 🥲), but for the looks of it, Nemona seems to be an actual confident "senpai" instead of a self depreciating childhood friend.

So that alone should change the dynamics

nemona-m.png

She's secretly like Hisoka...She WANTS to build you up and beat you down at your peak:

1669062956209794.jpg?width=1099&height=6

1669089883172092.png?width=372&height=61

1669150199183181.jpg?width=411&height=57

Edited by TheInfernoman
5 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I actually think saving for Sin DT is a huge fucking waste when you can use the SSS DT for that and save the meter instead. Sin DT is about the worst use of bar in DMCV imo. 

I didn't mess with that much, will have to experiment with it the next time I play through the game. Certainly sounds like a more fun approach. I generally used SDT as a nuke option, particularly for shit like those teleporting lizards. Fuck those enemies, by the way. Would much rather deal with the electric lizards from 4.

8 hours ago, Camacho said:

I didn't mess with that much, will have to experiment with it the next time I play through the game. Certainly sounds like a more fun approach. I generally used SDT as a nuke option, particularly for shit like those teleporting lizards. Fuck those enemies, by the way. Would much rather deal with the electric lizards from 4.

Oh I much prefer the Assault (Teleport lizard) to Blitz. Blitz is absolutely fucking awful to fight as Dante. As Nero is just boring but manageable, with Dante is a big Ole bag of bullshit unless you start taking advantage of OP glitches like DT Distorting Real Impact for dumb fuck damage. There are a TON of options for all 3 characters when fighting an Assault. 

They are a huge pain in the ass when you can't find the rhythm to them tho agreed. 

Edited by RSG3
16 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

xbox and playstation are saying they don't expect new consoles to release until 2028

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/xbox-and-playstation-dont-expect-new-consoles-until-at-least-2028-documents-reveal/

I don't know why this is being brought up so early but whatever.

That announcement is not meant for us but for investors so they can adjust expectations accordingly.

2 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

That announcement is not meant for us but for investors so they can adjust expectations accordingly.

I'm just curious what investor would ask "hey when is are your new consoles coming out?" 2 years after they just released  new consoles.  That ballooning cost of development def ain't going anywhere with that type of attitude breathing down their necks all the time.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm just curious what investor would ask "hey when is are your new consoles coming out?" 2 years after they just released  new consoles.  That ballooning cost of development def ain't going anywhere with that type of attitude breathing down their necks all the time.

Usually, the new console pre production and design phases start like a couple of years after the release of the most recent one.

They stating that they don't plan a new console until a much later date means that they see this gen lasting as long as the ps3/360 era, and therefore not having plans to enter in a preproduction/design phase yet.

It was actually something I was talking with my brother some days/weeks ago, that seeing the current state of the console market due the chip shortage, the pandemic, the recession etc, that this will force M$ and Sony to once again make this gen last longer than the usual, like with the 7th gen.

Edited by Hecatom
26 minutes ago, Skort said:

Bit random but i am very happy that Max Payne 1 and 2 are getting a full remake funded by Rockstar but developed by Remedy ( the original creators ). 

It's a series i have always enjoyed as i'm a sucker for cop stories and have very fond memories of the original games. 

Roscoe street station, here i come.

max-payne-15-small.webp

Those are not being developed by Remedy sir. 

6 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Those are not being developed by Remedy sir. 

You sure ? 

Screenshot-2022-11-25-014418.jpg

"Remedy Entertainment, the creators of Max Payne, are pleased to announce that they will remake the iconic Max Payne and Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne video games in a new development agreement with Rockstar Games.

https://www.remedygames.com/games/max-payne-remake/

Edited by Skort
3 minutes ago, Skort said:

You sure ? 

Screenshot-2022-11-25-014418.jpg

"Remedy Entertainment, the creators of Max Payne, are pleased to announce that they will remake the iconic Max Payne and Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne video games in a new development agreement with Rockstar Games.

https://www.remedygames.com/games/max-payne-remake/

I remember very clearly reading they where only supervising and guiding it's development, they where focused on Control and Alan Wake. 

When I get the chance I'll see if I can find it. Maybe plans changed. 

5 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I remember very clearly reading they where only supervising and guiding it's development, they where focused on Control and Alan Wake. 

When I get the chance I'll see if I can find it. Maybe plans changed. 

I hope Remedy are the guys that will work on them because not only did they make MP 1 and 2 but also did a good job on Alan Wake and Control for their most recent titles.

Having that said i would not mind if Rockstar is developing it either as MP 3 was okay as well though i really missed the dark gloomy atmosphere of the initial games compared to the new setting that MP 3 had.

However all info i can find says that Remedy are the ones developing it while Rockstar is funding it.

Screenshot-2022-11-25-015313.jpg

https://investors.remedygames.com/announcements/remedy-entertainment-enters-agreement-with-rockstar-games-for-new-max-payne-12-project/

Spoiler

Under the development agreement signed today, Remedy will develop the games as a single title for PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S using its proprietary Northlight game engine. The game’s development budget will be financed by Rockstar Games, the size of which will be in line with a typical Remedy AAA-game production. Under the agreement, Remedy has a royalty opportunity after Rockstar Games has recouped its development, marketing, and other costs for distributing and publishing the game

Edited by Skort
2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

So anyone with a PS5, does it check your cloud storage when loading the YouTube app....mine does and it's the most confusing thing, the fuck is it looking for? 

It does it when there is a change on the profile settings.

Like maybe an update on the youtube app on the back end.

Or if there is a corruption on the data on your side.

Mine does it at times as well.

So I went down the rabbit hole too with this video about Tommy and the "oof" sound.... yeah this is quality stuff here; the guy that did the video may have just earned a new fan today.  

I had forgotten that Messiah game until this---I remember seeing the ads for it in magazines at that time, but of course I never got to play it since I think it was PC only....I think it *may* have been rumored to come to Dreamcast but of course that never ended up happening.  The concept of that game was immediately interesting to me.

Oh look at what we have here... an Elden Ring board game now?!

I might be interested in this just for those cool figurines.  I'd love to have a good figurine of the Godskin Apostle, Noble, Margot & Margit, Radagon, Rennala....sheeeeit, it's safe to say I want ALL of them.

Here the goddess of happiness cries,

An endless timeless lullaby.

Sings a song of the dream she has.

The sadness fills her eyes.

End of love,

Love is gone

No more dreams to dream about.

So life is done.

If it's so,

Cut the thread.

It's time to let it go.

Tears they flow to the thirst of the gods.

The oceans roars drowned out by rain.

Blameless wolf carries on alone.

The silence now surrounds him.

Sooner than,

Dreaming ends,

Morning of the Dawn will bring another day.

Turn around,

(And) you have found,

A different place to dream.