Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Well, on a random hunt for Phantasy Star content I noticed this vid that covers at least *some* of the fuck-ups that has plagued this franchise since it is unfortunately owned and run by "That Company":

...still cracks me up that last thing to happen that I found amusing....the fact that it took them about 7 or 8 years to officially bring the game to the western markets. 😆 Ridiculous.  Oh I gave up hope a LONG time before that already.  The actual gameplay looked decent to me... just too bad it's an MMO and they waited that goddamn long to release it officially in North America.

One nitpick that always irked me with this fanbase though----no one ever seemed to care about the lore of it all....the actual worlds and universe of Phantasy Star.  Any and all discussion about it, the various fan pages and forums online over the years, any kind of write-ups on the enemies and bosses... it's all *just* charts and stats... the technical aspects of everything....no one was apparently interested in the concept or any kind of story concerning Dark Falz or cool enemies like Chaos Sorcerer, Del Sabers, "SEED" lifeforms in PSU era, etc. etc. (Chaos and Gran Sorcerers were my favorite enemies) It's all just -- "This enemy does 2 attacks then jumps backwards, then leaps forward.  It is weak to fire damage." or a wiki page might just describe an enemies elemental weakness and where it is located...nothing more.  ---shit like that instead of any kind of lore, like you'd see with damn near any other game in existence, especially RPGs.  In fact, if that company ever continues the franchise they may as well just not bother with writing a story at all, since 99% of the fanbase doesn't care. 

Edited by MillionX

Street Fighter 6 character designer talks about his thought process in designing the characters announced thus far

https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/11/23/street-fighter-6-art-director-breaks-down-each-revealed-character-design

Nier Automata has sold 7 million units and Nier Replicant has sold 1.5 mill

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/11/nier-automata-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-seven-million-nier-replicant-ver-1-22474487139-tops-1-5-million

Edited by Sonichuman
3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Edit:  I can visualize the look on Miyamoto's face when DK pulled out real a shot gun and it is hilarious to me.

To this day it baffles me that Nintendo let M$ buy rare when they were one of "their" top studios during the 4th and 5th gen of consoles.

I sometimes wonder what kind of games we would have seen if they bought them instead of Bill "I named my company after my dick" Gates.

48 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I'm not, Rare is, and always has been over rated and MS bought them when they really starting to fall off. Nintendo lost nothing. 

Dunno man, perhaps I am misremembering, but I recall that all their games, at least for the home consoles during their partnership with Nintendo were always well received, even their less successful games like JFG are still being remembered fondly, with flaws and all;  At least for me,  I think that It was when they became part of M$ that they started to fall apart, specially because some time after the acquisition a lot of the founders and old guard started to jump from the studio since they were always on a costant battle against M$ to get projects greenlit  or have their ideas be put on the games, basically having a lot of corporate meddling on the projects affecting the quality at the end.

But I have to admit that I wasn't really much of a nintendo player by the 5th gen onwards, and mostly going by the people around me who were still plaing on nintendo consoles at that time, and only playing their games at the house of my best friend or exchanging my ps1/ps2 with him for his n64/gc to play games.

18 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Dunno man, perhaps I am misremembering, but I recall that all their games, at least for the home consoles during their partnership with Nintendo were always well received, even their less successful games like JFG are still being remembered fondly, with flaws and all;  At least for me,  I think that It was when they became part of M$ that they started to fall apart, specially because some time after the acquisition a lot of the founders and old guard started to jump from the studio since they were always on a costant battle against M$ to get projects greenlit  or have their ideas be put on the games, basically having a lot of corporate meddling on the projects affecting the quality at the end.

But I have to admit that I wasn't really much of a nintendo player by the 5th gen onwards, and mostly going by the people around me who were still plaing on nintendo consoles at that time, and only playing their games at the house of my best friend or exchanging my ps1/ps2 with him for his n64/gc to play games.

Rares strongest stint was the the SNES through N64 Era. The DKC games are pretty great, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark where good for their time but have aged like mud, and JFG is my favorite game from them, I looooove JFG and hate that it never became a franchise. 

But before that they where hit or miss. For every RC Pro Am we got we also got a Battletoads which is a mess of a grab bag of random ass game ideas that where tuned so badly barely anyone got past 10% of the game. 

After the 64 was the Cube where we got Star Fox Adventures and while I will give them the caveat that there was some upper management fuckery with that game (Dinosaur Planet probably would have been better then SFA if only because of lack of baggage) but the end result is still a pretty mediocre Zelda clone unfortunately on a console that has actual Zelda games. I don't remember them releasing anything for Ninty after that and then MS bought them and well...Viva Pinata seemed popular at least.....*kicks Nuts & Bolts under a rock*

Edit: Have to wax about it for a second, God I loved JetForce Gemini. What a fucking cool game. One of the first really great third person shooters, 3 unique playable characters with their own abilities, a pistols sized rocket launcher that shoot 3, count em fucking 3 rockets at once. Ratchet & Clank before they where even a thing. I love this game so much I've been super duper tempted to bubmy girlfriends kid the Rare Replay since she has one of the newer Xbox models, but really it would be for me just so I could play JFG in HD. 

The only flaw JFG has imo us the Tribal hunt. That's it. Rare just couldn't resist a collect-a-thon. 

Edited by RSG3

At least from how I see it, I feel that Nintendo both allowed them to go for it with their ideas and managed to foster/shepherd them into making games that are still remembered in a good light over all (mostly the home console games, dunno about the mobile ones).

Once M$ came in, the constant battle with them made them (at least as I see it) take a nose dive.

Semi related tangent

I always felt that M$ hasn't been a great company when it comes to cultivating talent once they own the studio, at least.

With the better games they have in their library coming from external studios that exclusivity deals with them, like Bungie with Halo, Epic with Gears of War, Capcom with DR, etc, up to their most recent example (that I know so far and have played) with Imsomniac Sunset Overdrive.

Once they own the franchise and put it on a studio under their umbrella they seem to run it to the ground, both the franchise and the studio, lol.

Well they owned Bungie during the entire Halo franchise process up to Reach so thay kinda doesn't work for your example. Bugies negotiation for returned independence was letting go of any ownership of Halo. 

With that said I agree, I don't think MS does a very good job of cultivating their talent or their studios. Sony and Nintendo are much stronger in this regard. 

Also Miyamoto specifically requested Dinosaur Planet be turned into SFA so maybe Nintendo was tightening the reigns in that regard, I really don't know. 

Edited by RSG3
14 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

One of my favorite games by Rare is Wizards and Warriors for the NES. Incidentally, David Wise did the music for it, years before DKC was even a concept. Dude is one of the GOAT game music composers.

Edit: now that I think about it, I think I might have actually jerked it to Candy Kong a time or two.

Wizards & Warriors was a pretty good game but yes, the OST was incredible, as was what little I heard of the Ironsword OST because I wasn't able to get far in that one

37 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Well they owned Bungie during the entire Halo franchise process up to Reach so thay kinda doesn't work for your example. Bugies negotiation for returned independence was letting go of any ownership of Halo. 

With that said I agree, I don't think MS does a very good job of cultivating their talent or their studios. Sony and Nintendo are much stronger in this regard. 

Also Miyamoto specifically requested Dinosaur Planet be turned into SFA so maybe Nintendo was tightening the reigns in that regard, I really don't know. 

You are right, I totally forgot that M$ bought Halo when they were in the mid of developing Halo and turned it into an exclusive launch title for Xbox.

And now that I remembered it, I also remembered that Bungie split from them because they were a terrible parent company, so much that they saw it better to partner with Activision of all people 🤣

It is why I laugh at the people thinking that M$ buying Activision, Bethesda, Obsidian, etc is a good thing when they have been as bad as EA and Acti-Blizzard, and worse when you consider all the breach of privacy, espionage on users and aggressive monopolistic scumbag shit they have done in the past (and still do) on their other side of business.

Just looking at Rare and Bunjie we have a clear example of the kind of shit we will see from them owning other studios, reducing them to one trick pony (something that ActiBliz already does anyway), ignore the catalogue of game those studio have, close studios that don't perform, etc etc (again, something that ActiBliz already does.)

Worse, is that if anyone believes that they will change the organization culture after their fiascos, they are for a rude awakening, since M$ does like to left their companies to their own devices on those kind of issues, so we wouldn't see them imposing changes on this kind of things.

Edited by Hecatom
Just now, RSG3 said:

I'm glad an entity seems to be stepping in to probably stop the MS/ActiBlizz merger. We don't need that in gaming, shits bad enough as it is. 

Agree, and I will say the same if Nintendo or Sony were trying to do something similar with ActiBlizz, EA, Ubi, Take2.

Now if the same entities came to do the same with Disney it will be great.

They own too much and is not good for the entertainment industry at all.

I forgot if I mentioned or not but I recently made the upgrade to the OLED Switch, finally.  Fortunately the transfer process is pretty simple; I looked up a youtube vid and went with that.  However... unfortunately I lost all my Mii characters though!  Good thing is that I vaguely remember most of them and have pictures for reference at least.  Now that makes me wonder what happens in Smash Ultimate and Mario Kart then, since some of mine were in the save as characters for those games.  It's simple enough to recreate them though... I just didn't expect the miis would be erased.  I think the only one I have at the moment is the one that's used for my profile icon.

Strange thing--- I kept reading that your snapshots and vids don't transfer over....BUT for some reason I still have them on the new system now, so I'm not sure how that happened. (*ah, maybe because they were saved on the microSD instead of the internal memory, I'm assuming?)  

46 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I didn't watch that video for fear of spoilers, but I am a little more than 15 hours into the game and still relatively early because I'm taking my time and doing all the side stuff as it becomes available. So far, the game is absolutely a masterpiece, imo. I'm having a blast with it. 

Edited by Chadouken
17 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I didn't watch that video for fear of spoilers, but I am a little more than 15 hours into the game and still relatively early because I'm taking my time and doing all the side stuff as it becomes available. So far, the game is absolutely a masterpiece, imo. I'm having a blast with it. 

I am at the point of no return story wise, just when you know you are to enter the end game (of the story, not gameplay).

Imo is a really good to even a great game, but I have seen flaws on it that I could understand why for others those would be issues that bring down the game for them, both in terms of gameplay and story/characterization.

Also, on a technical level, the game has some weird bugs that force you to restart from the last checkpoint, It has happened to me a lot of times in each playtime session I had so far.

Nothing major, but certainly something to take notice.

And you can tell that the game was made for the current gen 1st, since its performance on the ps4, specially the og, is at times rough (my brother is playing it on his ps4, while I am on ps5)

At the point I am in, if i would give it a number, I will give it an 86 out of 100.

(Keep in mind that on my scale, a 70 is a really good game already, with 50 being a mediocre game that can have an appeal and 60 a game with a lot of flaws but also a game that can be enjoyed,  below 50 is a game that is verging on unplayable and unenjoyable)

EDIT

BTW

Spoiler

Something that kind of irks me, is that Kratos has not brought Caliope at all to Atreus.
She alongside her mother Lysandra were so important to him, and he even renounced Ellysium to protect her, yet the games never bring her outside the conversation with spoiler character.

As a fan of the greek era, this is one of those things I said that for me is a flaw that can see being a major grievance for others.

Edit 2

Also the music for this dulogy has been way less memorable than the greek era for me 😅

Edited by Hecatom
20 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Also, on a technical level, the game has some weird bugs that force you to restart from the last checkpoint, It has happened to me a lot of times in each playtime session I had so far.

Nothing major, but certainly something to take notice.

Dude that happened to me while I was trying to cross the river on the ferry by pulling the chains early on in the game. Everyone just stopped moving bur kept talking 😂 I had to restart the checkpoint.

Just now, Chadouken said:

Dude that happened to me while I was trying to cross the river on the ferry by pulling the chains early on in the game. Everyone just stopped moving bur kept talking 😂 I had to restart the checkpoint.

Be prepared to have a lot of that at any given random moment.

One of the worst glitches I have seen is one where I am throwing a weapon and Kratos does the animation, but nothing is thrown, is not just a visual glitch, and for that weapon is crippling.

Another one is that Atreus is despawned from the map, so you are left alone, you can still hear him say stuff, reacting to what you do, but he is no where to be seen.

At first I thought he got stuck somewhere, I started searching for him on the recent areas I visited but he was nowhere to be seen.

The good thing is that all the glitches are resolved once you reload the checkpoint, but it is surprising how many glitches there are on this game, when the 1st one didn't had any of this for what I remember.

Well... the end of the Diablo 3 season should be soon; it recently hit me that this season has been going on for about 3 months.  On playstation I played quite a bit more today so I'm up to paragon 859, and beat a GR 114.... still with the Rathma build....then I tried the Trag'Oul set/Death Nova build and got that more refined... the potential of that is insane.  It's not perfected yet but I've gone up to GR90 so far with my latest adjustments to it...and I don't even have augments on anything yet.  This will be quite the monster since I have several ancient legendary items equipped...currently, the criticals are typically in the range of 10s to low 100s of billions, which is a bit behind that ridiculous "trillions" damage I'm getting with the Rathma build.  

The defensive aspect of Trag/Death Nova is ridiciulous... since you're getting an armor bonus for teleporting through enemies + the bone armor ability.  I've checked my stats in the middle of battle and it's been as high as 925 million!  The weakness in this is that it's not so hot on single-target damage though, like the Rathma build....so you'll clear regular enemies out like they're nothing... wiping entire screens of trash mobs... but a boss may take a while.

This popped up in recommended for me today...brought back fond memories; Dawnguard was the greatest thing... I never played it modded though, but what's here looks cool...

quite a shame that Bethesda owns and produces this franchise.  Just imagine if another more capable company had developed Skyrim.

8 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I loved the game, so I started this, interested in hearing different opinions. But just a few minutes in, he says Kratos "mysteriously" lost his abilities since the last game. They explain several times that Fimbulwinter and just plain old usage wore down his stuff. He also says the first berserker fight is mandatory, when it isn't. I looked down and saw the description used "woke". I rolled my eyes. I know I shouldn't judge this harshly, but I closed it off; I doubt the rest of the review is worth a shit.

EDIT: OK, morbid curiosity. I skipped to the story chapter since it was so big. In the first few minutes, he says that Freya doesn't kill Kratos despite knowing where he lives, and that Kratos turns down Odin's peace treaty, which may as well be a declaration of war. They say a protection stave keeps Freya away from their home (they have to repair it), and it's been hammered in over and over to Kratos not to trust Odin. Kratos, who's made a bad deal with a God before, probably wouldn't trust him anyway. Again, I doubt the rest of the review is worth a shit.

Edited by axeman61
31 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I loved the game, so I started this, interested in hearing different opinions. But just a few minutes in, he says Kratos "mysteriously" lost his abilities since the last game. They explain several times that Fimbulwinter and just plain old usage wore down his stuff. He also says the first berserker fight is mandatory, when it isn't. I looked down and saw the description used "woke". I rolled my eyes. I know I shouldn't judge this harshly, but I closed it off; I doubt the rest of the review is worth a shit.

EDIT: OK, morbid curiosity. I skipped to the story chapter since it was so big. In the first few minutes, he says that Freya doesn't kill Kratos despite knowing where he lives, and that Kratos turns down Odin's peace treaty, which may as well be a declaration of war. They say a protection stave keeps Freya away from their home (they have to repair it), and it's been hammered in over and over to Kratos not to trust Odin. Kratos, who's made a bad deal with a God before, probably wouldn't trust him anyway. Again, I doubt the rest of the review is worth a shit.

I have yet to see the video since I have not finished the game, and I want to avoid any potential spoiler, plus I want to see it once I have collected my thoughts on the game, although, I almost sure where I satand so far, unless the ending does some wild shit that either wows me or ruins it for me 🤣