Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

22 minutes ago, JGreen said:

Completely agree. The fight is infuriating and by far the most bullshit boss fight I’ve played in any game. I was going to try and 100% the game but this fight is making me question that choice. 

By this point I am only 2 battles away for the Platinum plus some minor trophies that are not hard to get (some collectibles and fully upgrade an armor set)

At the end I brute forced my way, but it was still utter BS.

I would be surprised if they don't patch it (not that it helps me since I already suffered it, lol).

For what I read the 2 upcoming battles are almost as BS as the one in my previous post, so I am not really looking to the "enjoyment" of playing them.

I tested the battles to see how they are, but is clear that the game expects me to have my equipment at full level to be on a "even" field (I have not fully upgraded one pummel and one shield in my build), but for what I read they are still a chore to play.

Me after seeing the Super Mario Bros. Movie trailer yesterday:

Spoiler

hype train GIF

Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Hype Panda GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

YOOOOOOO DIS MOVIE GONNNA BE SO GOOOOOODAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I am LOVING PEACH'S DESIGN. Like, she has never looked so good! The hair, the eyes, her animation. And she seems to be taking charge. You know, as a ruler should. I'm friggin' about it.

I was not expecting a SMB 2-3 reference. Noice.

More Diablo stuff

...I got my hardcore character to paragon 160 a little while ago... at this point she's kinda safe since I just got all pieces of the Trag'Oul set via converting the dupes at the Kanai cube.  This is the furthest I've ever made it with a character in this mode.  Blood-based skills are an extra risk, btw... since it's possible to kill yourself or make it easier for the enemies to kill you....since y'know.. it's blood/health-based abilities there.

yes, I realize most of you never know what I'm talking about with all the Diablo jargon.  It would be nice if my college buddy and his wife kept up with it and played regularly... they play but it's rare and thus they are SO slow.  It's been 10 years now and that dude still hasn't even finished the story mode.  For a while back in the xbox 360 days, I left one or 2 of my characters low-leveled so I could still play with them (along with another friend I met through them) without being too far beyond their level but I eventually gave up on that plan.  

...they're the same people I used to play Phantasy Star and Balder's Gate with back in the day... good times, there.  Currently he's been more interested in playing "The Ascent" with me, but XB1 struggles to handle that game, actually... it was a bit of a nightmare playing with them (they have the newer Xbox) since I have this now "old" system where the load times take centuries on that game.  *note---The Ascent works much better on the Steam Deck, actually....I've had much more fun playing it on that.

Diablo...

Well I finally lost another one...fortunately this was a backup Hardcore character... I *just* created him today in anticipation of possibly losing my older one since I was pushing further into the greater rifts... I took a chance and put the Gem of Ease on this one to powerlevel it real fast...went straight into Torment 6; I did alright for a while and fast-tracked all the way to level 40 by the next map... then there was a ghost in there waiting on me, and did that magical drain attack and outright 1-shotted him.  The real downer here is that a dead hardcore character loses the gear that it had too... so that Gem of Ease and the level 70 weapon I had it on is also gone with him now.  "Ashtar" will be remembered now in the Halls of the Fallen.

Played a bit of The Knight Witch.  Its really pretty and colorful and fun so far.  Story seems a bit cheesy to me but I dont care about the story in most games anyhow.  Its a neat hybrid of games genres. 

NhPwxJK.pngc14bXw8.png

https://i.imgur.com/lVhmWiI.mp4

Not sure how to embed that video, not even sure I can. 

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
1 hour ago, misterBee said:

@MillionX

I just played Vampire the Masquerade: Coteries of New York.

I liked it quite a bit!  I suggest you play it.  Gonna play the sequel shortly.

OIP.EGZ9w1cIRGxonDTXNvzXUgHaEK?pid=ImgDe

Yeah, I have both----Coteries I got as part of that other one, "Swansong"...I think it was a pre-order bonus or something.  I don't normally go for these visual-novel types of "games" but I gave these a bit of a pass just because I like that world/IP so much.  I got Shadows of NY when it was super-cheap earlier....it's a more focused thing since you play the story from just 1 character, and she is from one of my favorite clans in the game (Lasombra).

@Skort - yep, there was some article recently that mentioned it's still supposedly in development and that "2023" is still a possibility for it releasing... at this point I'm just in a "believe it when I see it" mindset.  ...but yeah, Bloodlines 2 was the real "main event"; the big one I was looking forward to more than anything for a long time.  They (Paradox) still haven't even stated which group/company is working on it after the old developers got removed from the project....just that it's still being worked on.  

3 minutes ago, MillionX said:

yep, there was some article recently that mentioned it's still supposedly in development and that "2023" is still a possibility for it releasing... at this point I'm just in a "believe it when I see it" mindset.  ...but yeah, Bloodlines 2 was the real "main event"; the big one I was looking forward to more than anything for a long time.  They (Paradox) still haven't even stated which group/company is working on it after the old developers got removed from the project....just that it's still being worked on.  

That's rough.

Bloodlines 1 was superb but full of bugs,thankfully there is the unofficial patch.

It seems that Bloodlines 2 may be heading in a similar direction sadly ,messy release or no release at all 

What worries me the most however is finding out that apparently the lead writer that was the writer for BL 1 as well was fired if sources are correct. That for me is a major red flag as the story was the main thing that made BL1 so memorable for me.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Are the Vampire The Masquerade games like visual novels? I haven't ever gotten a bead on what they are exactly.

The first one, Vampire the Masqurade, is an expansive Western TPS RPG. The follows upset are visual novels made to tide people over till Masqurade 2 but since that games development is a fucking mess the visual novels aren't really doing what they where intended to do. 

I fought this elf bitch in the library last night. Took me about 10 tries on Give Me No Mercy. The part that got me the most was the three yellow ring projectile attacks in succession. I had to equip the Dauntless shield, which was two levels lower than the shield I was using where you can punch it and fuck shit up. The Dauntless is better for parrying, and despite the hit I took to defense from switching to it, it made that fight way easier for me. I'm gonna continue to invest in that shield. Parrying is huge in this game.

yeah, it's probably an unpopular opinion within the VtM fanbase I'm sure---but I'd love it if there was a Vampire 3rd person action-RPG with the same kind of controls/action as what we see in Blood Hunt.  The control and gameplay in that is good stuff.... just add the usual RPG qualities to that game engine and that right there would be the "Bloodlines 2" I'd want.  

The other one I mentioned earlier is VtM: Swansong... it's another one where the focus is on story as opposed to pure action like Blood Hunt... unlike the visual novels, Swansong at least has 3d animation/characters moving around, so that's a step up, imo.  However... for some reason they made a lot of the characters quite ugly or just strange looking.....I'm not sure what's going on with whoever was in charge of character design there.  It's also another thing where you are playing pre-defined characters instead of your own; another nitpick/gripe there. 

I should get back to Blood Hunt before they eventually shut it down (*another problem with very concept of online-only gaming right there); I figure the popularity has likely dropped right off a cliff....I haven't checked in on it in quite a while.  Team Deathmatch is probably fun (and less intimidating to most players).... last time I played was one hell of a good time as it came down to just me vs. 1 other person as the last survivors....and we both were "downed" and dying to the mysterious red gas flooding into the area (which prevents your regeneration; normally you would eventually regenerate and get back up)... but since I got dropped first he was the winner.  It was so close too... his character got downed about a second after me as the gas poured in, and we had nowhere else to go.

Edited by MillionX

Alright, so im making another attempt at a Dark Souls 1 play through since the one i was doing last year fizzled out. This one should be more interesting anyway, its an almost completely pure Int Build with the goal of getting the Moonlight Greatsword from Seath. Ive already got recordings farther into the game then the last build, i'm about 80% the way through the core game, I intend to do the DLC as well tho. Gonna post Episode 1s Video description here, the build is something of a Roleplay i am hoping to take forward into Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 and eventually Elden Ring, all Int/Moonlight Greatsword builds. The rest of the spisodes will have the Episode description in the videos Description box. Sadly True Episode 3 was lost in the file transfer so we wont be seeing Lower Undead Burg or the Capra Demon boss fight...I feel nothing of true value was actually lost so i pressed on.

Episode 1:A Dark Souls 1 Intelligence Build. Stargazer Orilynn: Player Character: A brilliant Sorceress of the Dragon School of Vinheim And dedicated Astrologer, who looks to the stars for guidance. Feeling frustrated with the glacial pace of the Dragons Schools education, Orilynn left in search of Lordran the land of the Gods and home to the wise Seath the Scaleless. There are also rumors of the presence of Dragon School teacher Big Hat Logan, all great sources of knowledge on the art of Sorceries. Gear: Magic Infused Claymore, later to be replaced with the Legendary Moonlight Greatsword. Claymore Stat Reqs: 16 STR, 10 DEX Upgrade Material: Titanite Magic Infused In Episode 1 our main goals are to escape to the Undead Asylum and travel to Lordran home of the Gods. We will make our way through the Undead Burg, defeat a Taurus Demon, talk to Solair and acquire our White Sign Soap Stone. Across the bridge under the Red Drake is the Claymore, my Primary Weapon for at least half of the game. Make our way to the Undead Parish and unlock the Elevator back to Firelink Shrine. Head down into New Londo and meet Rickert of Vinheim, the Sorcery focused Blacksmith.

Episode 2:

Episode 3

I got 4 episodes up over the holidays. Should have the next ones over the course of the next few days.For anyone who does watch, hope you enjoy.

Edited by RSG3
On 11/30/2022 at 11:50 AM, Chadouken said:

Video games definitely helped me when I quit drinking.

Hopefully it does with me. I've allowed too many people to hurt me in life to seal a death wish after surgery continuing to only drink again. And also, consenting to outpatient therapy again for mental recovery due to being homeless too long formerly. I think being around some noticeable criminal history offenders in New Orleans alot triggering over vigilance to a gradually vindictive violent mindset and being sexually mistreated really damaged me. Perhaps talking to others confidentially again would be better for me in the long run, instead cutting society out again.

The least I can do are coping mechanisms and live alone permanently, for some personal responsibility and security, as i need some peace for once. Or else, I'll lose myself again.

As much as a rebel as I am, I have to say that you inspire me. So calm and comedy related you are. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Emptyeyes_

VGM Fridays!  Diddy Kong Racing had its 25th anniversary last week and I missed out on that.  Xenoblade Chronicles 2 also hits it's 5th annniversary this week so first post will be centered around these 2 games.

Spoiler

I used to really fucking hate racing against Wizpig in this game back in the day lol

If you also want to see an interview with David Wise regarding DKR 25th anniversary then Gamexplain has a vid up

17 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Only Gungrave Gore review ive seen so far. Mark from Electric Underground has a super hit or miss opinions for me, but he does have his taste and he sticks with his standards so i still follow him even if we disagree pretty regularly.

I played a few levels of Gungrave Gore and delightful really isn't the word I'd use.

17 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

I played a few levels of Gungrave Gore and delightful really isn't the word I'd use.

I haven't gotten to play it yet but I have Gungrave and Gungrave Ovedose and GORE looks just like them, which is mash the fuck outta the gun button, use the coffin for some reflects and super attacks. 

Like it looks like simple fun. I disagree with Mark on level design pretty hard, bolting a bunch of mostly empty rooms together and populating them with fights is not what I would call good level design, and he's impressed by simple systems imo like being able to carry your score meter from one fight to the next. 

Like it looked like GunGrave, a really simple button masher with some decent thrills like previous two. 

Frankly I didn't even know the game was put yet lmao.