Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

On 12/1/2022 at 10:17 AM, Chadouken said:

I fought this elf bitch in the library last night. Took me about 10 tries on Give Me No Mercy. The part that got me the most was the three yellow ring projectile attacks in succession. I had to equip the Dauntless shield, which was two levels lower than the shield I was using where you can punch it and fuck shit up. The Dauntless is better for parrying, and despite the hit I took to defense from switching to it, it made that fight way easier for me. I'm gonna continue to invest in that shield. Parrying is huge in this game.

For real. I'm wasn't even on one of those crazy "kill my whole family" difficulties and I was still getting washed b/c I couldn't parry well. I still wasn't the best at it and needed the tall shield (forget what it was) to absorb yellow hits.

I played a bit of The Callisto Protocol.  It ran fine with just a few stutters, nothing to get in a twist about.  Fuckin' game is real pretty.  Good intro, not a lot to really do other than guide the guy and push a few buttons.  It was cool though and fucked up.  I'll play more later tonight after my lady goes to bed.

45Q0vLv.png

4bzGfIv.png

n5ivLR0.png

RoJzc2N.png

Gonna play some more Witch Knight in a bit.  Its fun.

On 12/1/2022 at 9:17 AM, Chadouken said:

I fought this elf bitch in the library last night. Took me about 10 tries on Give Me No Mercy. The part that got me the most was the three yellow ring projectile attacks in succession. I had to equip the Dauntless shield, which was two levels lower than the shield I was using where you can punch it and fuck shit up. The Dauntless is better for parrying, and despite the hit I took to defense from switching to it, it made that fight way easier for me. I'm gonna continue to invest in that shield. Parrying is huge in this game.

This is why I used the Stone Wall shield the whole time, lol.

If I miss the parry I still can tank everything up to the shield is charged.

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Is hilarious how MK11 is the most polished MK to date, but managed to be the most forgettable and the one that died more quickly of the modern trilogy.

And yeah, I know that the game sold extremely great, which at the end is what it matters to the companies, but man, the game was dead on both the casual and competitive sides in less than 2 to 3 months.

This is of course about my preference, but MK9 despite all the jank, was way more fun to play than MK11 ever was, the same for MK10.

It was the same for Inj1, it saw waaay more play than Inj2, despite Inj2 being a more refined Inj1 in every aspect.

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Is hilarious how MK11 is the most polished MK to date, but managed to be the most forgettable and the one that died more quickly of the modern trilogy.

And yeah, I know that the game sold extremely great, which at the end is what it matters to the companies, but man, the game was dead on both the casual and competitive sides in less than 2 to 3 months.

This is of course about my preference, but MK9 despite all the jank, was way more fun to play than MK11 ever was, the same for MK10.

It was the same for Inj1, it saw waaay more play than Inj2, despite Inj2 being a more refined Inj1 in every aspect.

MK9 still tops the current phase for me; it's what got me back into these games. I wanted them to iterate upon that, instead of trying something new every game. I respect that they do that, and still like MK10 and 11 (what little I've played of them). But the fantasy of a vastly improved MK9 with MK11's superior polish? It makes my heart weep, because I know it won't happen. For better or worse, they're on the innovation train. I don't know when they'll get off, or if they'll get to a good destination I didn't imagine.

Edited by axeman61

Miyazaki says he has no idea what made Elden Ring such a hit

https://www.ign.com/articles/dark-souls-creator-miyazaki-elden-ring-no-idea?utm_source=twitter

Nintendo has also released their own statement regarding the Smash World Tour situation

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-issues-full-statement-over-smash-world-tour-cancellation

Nintendo would like to explain to all Super Smash Bros. fans and interested parties the background and rationale related to our decision to not grant a license to the Smash World Tour (SWT) for their upcoming activities.

Nintendo’s decision was solely based on our assessment of the proposals submitted by the SWT and our evaluation of their unlicensed activities. This decision was not influenced by any external parties such as Panda Global. Any partner that we grant a license to has to meet the high standards we require when it comes to the health and safety of our fans. It’s also important that a partner adheres to brand and IP guidelines and conducts itself according to professional and organizational best practices. We use this same approach to independently assess all partners. If we discover that a partner is doing something inappropriate, we will work to correct it.

When we notified the SWT that we would not license their 2022 or 2023 activities, we also let them know verbally that we were not requiring they cancel the 2022 finals event because of the impact it would have on players. Thus, the decision to cancel the SWT 2022 was, and still is, their own choice.

We are open to partnering with other organizations and will continue to offer licenses for major tournaments outside of the Panda Cup. Panda Global will continue to be a key partner and we look forward to receiving proposals from other groups for tournament licenses. In the meantime, Panda continues to advocate on behalf of the Super Smash Bros. community, even to the point that Panda has advocated for other organizations and tournaments to work with Nintendo, such as The Big House and the organizers of the SWT to benefit the larger Super Smash Bros. community.

Nintendo cares about Super Smash Bros. fans and its community very much, and we hope to continue to hear their passionate feedback. We are committed to working hard to bring joy and fun to the community through tournaments while also ensuring we and our partners are operating in a manner that is positive and responsible.

I mean if this is the case then this sounds like the ball is back in Smash World Tour's court at this point.  The can finish their 2022 finals and then worry about 2023 later.

7 hours ago, Hecatom said:

This is why I used the Stone Wall shield the whole time, lol.

If I miss the parry I still can tank everything up to the shield is charged.

Hmmm maybe I’ll give that a shot. I’ve mainly been sticking to the dauntless as well and just parrying everything. I’ve gotten pretty good at parrying from all the dark souls I’ve played. Still horrible at Sekiro’s parrying system hahahaha. 

On Turf War in Splatoon 3 and right before my eyes, one of my teammates is like...

Im Out See Ya GIF by Aminé

That disconnect happened with a little over 60 seconds left in the match. You'd think homie had to go and face down an Avengers level threat. And just when we were pushing the opposing team back. Of course we ended up losing. And I gotta sit and watch the other team flex. Like, what are you clowns posing for? YOU GOT HANDED THE DUB.

17 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

The only thing that would really get me hype about the next MK game is if it goes back to digitized graphics.  Which I know won't happen.

I loved MK9 when it came out because MK was back.  But since then I haven't really liked them.  I got MKX but didn't even buy MK11 and have never played it.

I just do not like the way the game animates and everything about it looks so janky, and it also controls that way.  

MK1 - MK3 are definitely the most "fun" to play and by far the most memorable.  Now the characters have like 100+ moves (talking about the moves lists in game) which I don't like, and most of them are just dial-a-combos.  I also hate how the sound in the games are awful.  They put no love or care into the sound anymore.  The old ones have such great sound.  The hits have impact.  There was some very memorable stages and background music.  You have none of that now.  The fatalities are so over the top now that it's basically making fun of itself.  They are completely forgettable too.

One can hope, but yeah, I know it's never going to happen having a digitized MK game again.  I can't imagine how good it would look now if they did one like that.

45 minutes ago, Lantis said:

What NRS needs to do is stop splitting the movelist of their MK characters and make each character look incomplete in comparison (3 iterations of each character in MKX and "customizing" your movelist in MK 11). It gets really confusing and leaves some interesting moves relegated in the trash.

This is my biggest problem with X and 11. Variations are chopping one character up: they sound WAY better on paper. Maybe if they had done something else, I'd be singing a different tune, but today I'm wishing they just built upon MK9.

6 hours ago, purbeast said:

The only thing that would really get me hype about the next MK game is if it goes back to digitized graphics.  Which I know won't happen.

I loved MK9 when it came out because MK was back.  But since then I haven't really liked them.  I got MKX but didn't even buy MK11 and have never played it.

I just do not like the way the game animates and everything about it looks so janky, and it also controls that way.  

MK1 - MK3 are definitely the most "fun" to play and by far the most memorable.  Now the characters have like 100+ moves (talking about the moves lists in game) which I don't like, and most of them are just dial-a-combos.  I also hate how the sound in the games are awful.  They put no love or care into the sound anymore.  The old ones have such great sound.  The hits have impact.  There was some very memorable stages and background music.  You have none of that now.  The fatalities are so over the top now that it's basically making fun of itself.  They are completely forgettable too.

One can hope, but yeah, I know it's never going to happen having a digitized MK game again.  I can't imagine how good it would look now if they did one like that.

Well there was going to be an HD version of the MK1-3 that was being worked on by an outside studio that was pitched to NRS but ultimately fell through.  Who knows...maybe one day it will happen?  I think those games could use an update and I'd be interested to see what those games would look like now with the tech we have currently.  Whether that's something the fat cat exec with the cigar in his mouth at WB thinks its worth spending time and money into is another thing.  I think it its going to happen it'll likely be a 3rd party with NRS supervising.

As my Diablo addiction goes into insane ocd territory yet again... it had me wondering if you guys have a top pick for "favorite game of all time".....OR do you prefer to break that up by genres, like favorite fighter, greatest shootemup, greatest side-scrolling action game, etc.?  Currently, I still prefer to just consider it by genres, but if I had to pick one... Diablo 3 is indeed a front-runner for me at the moment....  there's others that always come to mind as the contenders for that "Overall" top spot of course --- the way I've gone on and on forever rambling about them over the years, it's still the usual list: Bayonetta, Kingdoms of Amalur, Viewtiful Joe, Unreal Championship 2, Phantasy Star Online, and the newest to my elite ranks---Elden Ring (I still have so many more things I want to do in that one as well).  Other strong notables would be Quake 3, Blood Omen, the Doom games, Vampyr and the Saint's Row franchise.  Each of them are games that checked multiple boxes for me as being far more entertaining than anything else I've ever played.

In preparation of hoping to get into this SF6 beta coming in the next week or so, I ended up converting my custom stick with Brook Universal Fighting Board to work on the PS5. 

I ordered one of these on Thursday from Amazon.

https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/12408031/

Installed it today and man was it easy to install and not the joystick works just fine.  Previously when I opened Multiversus (just to test it out) it told me the controller couldn't be used in PS5 games and didn't respond.  Now it works just fine as expected. 

I didn't even know about this until Thursday so passing it along if people aren't aware.

45 minutes ago, MillionX said:

it had me wondering if you guys have a top pick for "favorite game of all time".....OR do you prefer to break that up by genres, like favorite fighter, greatest shootemup, greatest side-scrolling action game, etc.? 

I have a bunch of favorites from different genres:

Chrono Trigger

Quake

Super Mario World

Metal Slug 3

Diablo III

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

As my Diablo addiction goes into insane ocd territory yet again... it had me wondering if you guys have a top pick for "favorite game of all time".....OR do you prefer to break that up by genres, like favorite fighter, greatest shootemup, greatest side-scrolling action game, etc.? 

Mine would have to be Zelda A Link to the Past. The SNES was the first console I ever owned and LttP was the first console game I owned. Before that, I had only owned a game gear and those janky tiger electronic handhelds, then Zelda blew my mind compared to those games. So LttP wins as a great game in its own right and also due to sentimental reasons. I still go back to LttP every so often despite all of the amazing games out there. 

Any of you all have an Amiibo storage case/shelf thingie?

My son has probably like 15 maybe?  They are always all over the place and I wanted to get him something for Xmas that he can put them in but also display them so they look cool in his room but are also clean and in one spot.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.  It doesn't have to be like a closed case or anything, can just be some sort of shelf.

4 hours ago, MillionX said:

As my Diablo addiction goes into insane ocd territory yet again... it had me wondering if you guys have a top pick for "favorite game of all time".....OR do you prefer to break that up by genres, like favorite fighter, greatest shootemup, greatest side-scrolling action game, etc.? 

Yea I generally break it down by genre as I like too many games across too many genres to really narrow it down, like what I'm in love with can change from day to day. With that said I go back to a few things rather regularly. 

Zelda II & ALTTP

Megaman 2, Megaman X & X4

FF7 & 9

Devil May Cry 1

The Souls games. 

That's what comes to mind right now, mostly stuff I grew up with. Like it's just so impossible to narrow down anymore imo, I didn't even list the Arkham games for example. 

Edit: Also didn't list any Shmups which is a near impossible category for me in the first place. I don't know own how to list one singular favorite when Armed Police Batrider and Ibara exist. Radiant Silvergun & Ikaruga. Crimzon fucking Clover. 

Edited by RSG3
4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

My son has probably like 15 maybe?  They are always all over the place and I wanted to get him something for Xmas that he can put them in but also display them so they look cool in his room but are also clean and in one spot.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.  It doesn't have to be like a closed case or anything, can just be some sort of shelf.

Try searching for acrylic riser display shelves on amazon.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Any of you all have an Amiibo storage case/shelf thingie?

I think @iStu X has a couple on display.