Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Just now, OPTIMUS124 said:

The only reason I haven't gotten to Cyberpunk 2077 is because of all the issues. I was extremely amped for the title. How is the game now?

If you are on modern hardware like PS5/Latest Xbone or have a good PC, then I absolutely recommend it. Pretty much every performance issue has been fixed and thr majority of the gameplay systems are where they should be. Cops still don't work right but you're honestly not missing much there. Everything else runs great. Cuberpunks like 10 bucks now for the PS4 version and CDPR gives the PS5 version to PS4 owners for free (Same with The Witcher 3 this month on the15th by the way) so it's honestly really worth it now imo. 

If you're on PS4 or something equivilant.....I would continue to wait. 

26 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I normally would put this in the PC section but thought it would draw interest here.

Edit: @OPTIMUS124Which platform? I've been playing it on PS5 lately. I haven't run into anything game breaking but IMO their are lot more minor bugs than I had on PC. Still, I 100% the game without any game breaking bugs and considering how much I tended to fuck around for fun. I didn't run through the game. I think that's pretty good for 100 hours of playtime.

PS5. That's good to know. 

I have waaaay too many things to wrap up 🤣

EDIT-

Dad of War apparently has an update for photo mode. Really wish I still had berserkers to kill. A smiling Kratos is far scarier when decapitating foes. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
19 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I feel so bad for the Guerilla Games team. Their last two big projects are stellar but are released in the same window as other well received titles. Their product team needs some black ops intel regarding what else is coming out around them. The only other game in recent memory with similar luck was Titanfall 2. 

On the subject of GOTYs, I think that a game that to say it in a way, is more than the sum of its parts, can be a contender and the GOTY.

Like this year.

Both games, GOWR and ER have a lot of issues/flaws, not necessarily major or anything, but the overall product is put in such a way that they become negligible in the eyes of the people who play them.

Can an action game have a great story?

Sure, we had Nier Automata.

Does Bayonetta 3 not having a great story disqualifies it for being considered a GOTY contender, some would say that it is subjective, But IMO, at the end of the day, something that every game in the category should have is to have a good showcase of what matters most with games, which is the gameplay, since games are an interactive medium, and if interacting with the game is bad, then having a great story wouldn't really cut it, imo.

Which is why for me, a game like Among Us could easily be considered a GOTY when it became so popular, because it became a cornerstone of pop culture that is very prevalent up to this day.

Meanwhile TLOU2 has been forgotten already, with the only conversation surrounding it nowdays being the failure of ND to release the multiplayer component in time, and now moving it as a new game to save face.

All while another studio under Sony's Umbrella, Sucker Punch delivering plenty of content for Ghost of Tsushima that put on the spotlight how terribad many live service games were at delivering at launch and to support the games.

4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Heres a Q. Can the narrative become over bearing? Lot of people are complaining about Elden Rings Narrative Nom because Elden Ring doesnt tell you its story. You have to find it yourself. Same for the majority of Fromsoft titles. On the other hand i think back to Legacy of Kain series which at times has more story then actual gameplay. Like I LOOOOOVE Soul Reaver 2, But i would never nom it for like GOTY or anything because its way more a movie then it is a game. Its deffinitly got game in it, but you spend a vast majority of your time with the product watching it, not playing it. That means to me it has an amazing narrative but its honestly kind of a shit game. Like the game was an afterthought to the narrative. These days I almost feel like if LOK ever came back it should come back as a streaming series and not a videogame.

The funny thing about that is that SR2 was in many ways a game build from scrapped content/ideas for SR1.

It was also a game that was made in just 17 months for preproduction and development in a new engine, and they naively wanted to reduce the puzzles, specially the block puzzles that the 1st game had to focus on other aspects of gameplay, like combat.

If anything it was a miracle that the game was as good as it was, because they didn't have time to balance combat and create new puzzles as they originally wanted, and even went to also cut content in the end.

If embracer group ends reviving the series with a remake, I think it could be feasible to make SR1&2 into one game, unless they go the extra mile of adding the cut content to both games, then I can see it working as separated games.

One thing for sure is that I think they don't need to go the photorealistic way with the series.

The gothic comic book style that it had is perfect as it is.

They can add more details to it to make it more true to the concepts, sure, but it can be done without the extra costs that phtorealism brings to the table.

3 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Snip

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Snip

One that I liked for the small detail was the one from Titan Fall 2.

When the sequence is happening, the bar that separates the word Titan from the 2, is being drawn with what seems like  an object entering the atmosphere just to transition into a Titan entering a planet.

Is small, but effective on showing what the game is all about.

9 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Nemona is one of your rivals in the new Pokémon game. She’s friendly and challenges to a fight every time you meet. Because of her single-mindedness towards Pokémon battles, people refer to her as Goku. There’s several other drawings of her being Goku.

No, my guy. Nemona is your ONLY rival. In her eyes, she is the one rival that exists for you. And if she catches you with other rivals, she will put them into the ground so she will be your only rival.

Nemona when she catches you looking at other rivals:

Stare Staring GIF

11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This just says "new netcode" in the article but doesn't say that its rollback.

Upon doing a quick search into if there are any rollback games on Switch, I was pleasantly surprised that I was actually wrong.  There's a reddit post that says there are 6 games on the platform (including MK 11?  That's crazy.  What's the excuse for everyone else now?)

That rollback is hardware intensive.

Even for games that are designed from the ground up with rollback in mind.

Since most of those games got the rollback implementation brute forced on them (specially important to take note, since the rollback wasn't designed for those games to begin with, being ggpo in most of them), instead of having it optimized from the start, it makes it impossible to be used on certain hardware depending on the game

Is the sole reason why DBFZ wouldn't have rollback on ps4/xbone.

And why those games that got rollback on last gen didn't get it on switch.

It is also why MK11 has the graphics dialed down so heavily to allow the hardware to have rollback on it.

To give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Accent Core Plus R and the Samsho collection can't run on my old pc that I use as a media server, despite that machine being technically a good pc for gaming back in 2012 (not at the higher end of requeriments of course) and also being more powerful than the original hardware that those games ran when they 1st released.

I can easily play #Reload, Isuka, and the arcade dumps of the taito/sega arcade machines that BB and GG ran, but due the rollback my pc can't run them for shit.

I can even run the og AC+R version that was delay based.

31 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Snip

A tangent i forgot to add, related to a game being greater than the sum of its parts, is that we rarely see a game being lesser than the sum of its parts. 

Since perhaps is way more subjective than its counter part. 

I think the 1sts that come to mind for me are mk11 and inj2. 

Which are better in all aapects to the games that came prior, but for me and my scene they were less fun overall. And were abandoned quickly. 

42 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

The funny thing about that is that SR2 was in many ways a game build from scrapped content/ideas for SR1.

That's the entire series honestly, from day 1. Comstant scrapping, moving, and re-imagining of ideas due to time, hardware, or talent constraints. It's amazing how long the series went along while generally maintaining its level of quality the entire way through *kicks Blood Omen 2 down the basement stairs*

Edited by RSG3

So according to this writer from Screen Rant, The Super Mario Bros. Movie is making the same mistake Ugly Sonic did in regards to Chriss Pratt voicing Mario.

https://screenrant.com/super-mario-movie-sonic-hedgehog-design-problem-repeat/

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

I get that a lot of folks are digging Chris Pratt Mario. But it isn't the end of the world. Yeah, his voice sounds like his normal voice but I also hear some Brooklyn accent in there, which was how more typically sounded before Charles Martinenz started voicing Mario.

1 minute ago, RegH81 said:

So according to this writer from Screen Rant, The Super Mario Bros. Movie is making the same mistake Ugly Sonic did in regards to Chriss Pratt voicing Mario.

https://screenrant.com/super-mario-movie-sonic-hedgehog-design-problem-repeat/

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

I get that a lot of folks are digging Chris Pratt Mario. But it isn't the end of the world. Yeah, his voice sounds like his normal voice but I also hear some Brooklyn accent in there, which was how more typically sounded before Charles Martinenz started voicing Mario.

That's such a huge stretch that I find it hard to believe that it would come out of the mouth of someone who has actually seen that first trailer.  If the rest of the people voicing the characters were meh and the moments shown in the trailer were meh then they might have a point but hasn't been the case here.

Edit

Damn, Konami were always scumbags (not surprising tbh), the way they treated the original creator of Castlevania is quite sad, he ended quitting the industry back in the 90s after being demoted to work as a support programmer for the arcade division after CV2 and CV3 failing to sell as Konami wanted.

Edit

So, Iga is married to a woman who was a programmer on Rondo of Blood when he was working on Tikimeki Memorial, which is why he knew all the people who worked on it, including the producer/director, and why he became very interested to work on the series.

He was originally the scenario writer and something like a co director, but was fully promoted to the director seat when the og director of Rondo of Blood was promoted to a level of chairman on the board which removed him from the game.

Edited by Hecatom

Something I have been wondering, why does the english speaking people say Pokémon as PO kemon, with the stress on the PO when the game tells you that the stress is on the KE with the é?

BTW, we in spanish put the stress on the MON, despite that on grammatical rules, if we read it as is written we should do it on the KE.

So we are not doing it correctly either, lol.

5 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Something I have been wondering, why does the english speaking people say Pokémon as PO kemon, with the stress on the PO when the game tells you that the stress is on the KE with the é?

BTW, we in spanish put the stress on the MON, despite that on grammatical rules, if we read it as is written we should do it on the KE.

So we are not doing it correctly either, lol.

Because we are Americans, we ignore Eńes lol. 

BTW, I still plan on elaborating on my issues with HFW, is just that I am dealing with some unforseen health issues that I expected to have the diagnosis yesterday and having to help my younger nephew with his studies, since as someone with adhd, I have more experience than my sister in how to help him with that.

I am just trying to organize my thoughts so they don't seem and incomprehensible ramblings, lol

Edited by Hecatom
13 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Dunno if is on purpose or was a lucky mistake, but the " ´  " is not called eñe, is a tílde (accent mark in english), but that is what makes it work as part of the "because we are americans joke" 🤣🤣🤣

That's because my phones keyboard doesn't have an ene option so i had to use a tilde instead. That's less me not knowing what it is and more my phone not having the option. 

I'm 2 hours from the Mexican Boarder I'm one of the few Americans who actually knows what an ene is and even uses it. 

That said yea the Tilde does make the sentence a bit funnier for sure. 

Edited by RSG3
9 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

BTW, I still plan on elaborating on my issues with HFW, is just that I am dealing with some unforseen health issues that I expected to have the diagnosis yesterday and having to help my younger nephew with his studies, since as someone with adhd, I have more experience than my sister in how to help him with that.

I am just trying to organize my thoughts so they don't seem and incomprehensible ramblings, lol

Bro take your time. There's no rush. 

17 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I think people have developed a certain attachment to the character. One that was likely amplified by the franchise nearly going away forever. That said. I agree with you thoughts in your spoiler tag but for different reasons. 

Hide contents

I hate to the "lore guy" but that's just who I am. I agree with you that she'll be fine. Not because she can fight them off. IIRC she can't. Without her amulet, they don't have to listen to her. But because Luka went down there with her and he's strong as fuck. Plus Rodin clearly tells Viola that he dad wouldn't appreciate her playing hookie. Which means he must of made it back from Inferno. The funny thing is the Bayonetta 3's ending isn't even sad. The story telling just isn't very good. Singularity absorbed all of the Bayonettas/etc. to power himself up. You literally given him Gohan vs Cell treatment. You literally knock the Bayonetta's out him during your fight. Aka restore all of the destroyed universes. Which is why Bayo 1 and Bayo 2 were able to show up to help Cereza in the final fight. 

Sorry I can't help but be a lore person. Even when the story telling is sus 🙃

Did we ever find out

Spoiler

How and why Luka has the powers to run into that wolf creature? I don't remember that being covered at all.

Just now, DoctaMario said:

Did we ever find out

Hide contents

How and why Luka has the powers to run into that wolf creature? I don't remember that being covered at all.

Spoiler

Due him being the Arch Adam origin, when he merged with the Adam of the faerie world, he awakened the powers since he also had them, basically all the powers of all the Lukas combined granted him that form.

It is explained that he has faerie heritage, and merging with the king of avalon basically makes him the king once the multiversus merge.

16 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Hide contents

Due him being the Arch Adam origin, when he merged with the Adam of the faerie world, he awakened the powers since he also had them, basically all the powers of all the Lukas combined granted him that form.

It is explained that he has faerie heritage, and merging with the king of avalon basically makes him the king once the multiversus merge.

Where did they explain that? Guess I missed that part

2 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Where did they explain that? Guess I missed that part

Spoiler

Essentially boils down to this.

When the singularity purge starts, all the universes start to interact on unpredictable ways.
Luka, being Luka prime, is being influenced by all the other Lukas.
Lukaon being a Faerie awakens in him the powers, but still having the Alphaverse Luka resentment.

Luka having Fae heritage is implied with Viola having her powers being a Fae power up and not a Masquerade.

Also, the faes are a race outside the trinity that usually doesn't interact, so that is their way to explain why they don't showed up until now.

I know, contrived, but as we know, Bayo story is an afterthought that just serves as an excuse for cool shit happening.

I still would have preferred if they went with the Lumens of other universes being involved, so a Luka of another universe being  a Lumen could be the reason of the power up, and this leading to  Viola being an actual Lumen Umbra mix of both powersets, since Bayo being a child of a Lumen Sage means nothing overall since she is a full Umbra Witch in abilities and powerset.

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Reading through that Twitter thread hurt my brain. They are treating Goyhen like he's a recruiter. I'm sure that guy doesn't do any direct recruiting.

What amuses me is that he

A) Preaches tolerance but immediately want to shun him just because he is in the army.

B) Many idiots are saying he is a war criminal just because he is in the army.

C) Call him and the army groomers, but we all know none of them will call a transgender activist trying to convince a minor to transition without giving the full info on all the horrible consequences or giving a minor suplements without the consent of the adults around them a groomer.

And of course the op is a Strive player, another reason to add that game to the trash can.

@DoctaMarioYeah @RSG3is right about the logs. They have a lot information. While it was obvious it tells you that...well I guess I'll tag this to be safe.

Spoiler

The Bayonetta (B0) in the intro is Viola's mother. Reading the logs was actually more interesting than I thought it would be. The main Bayonetta in Bayo 3 is Cereza or the child Bayonetta saves in the first game. Which actually ends up being the reason she is so strong. She was never imprisoned for 500 years like Bayo from Bayo 1. 

@HecatomThat tweet by Cheezy annoyed me enough to tweet a response. Not that it will make any difference but it was cathartic nonetheless. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@DoctaMarioYeah @RSG3is right about the logs. They have a lot information. While it was obvious it tells you that...well I guess I'll tag this to be safe.

Reveal hidden contents

The Bayonetta (B0) in the intro is Viola's mother. Reading the logs was actually more interesting than I thought it would be. The main Bayonetta in Bayo 3 is Cereza or the child Bayonetta saves in the first game. Which actually ends up being the reason she is so strong. She was never imprisoned for 500 years like Bayo from Bayo 1. 

@HecatomThat tweet by Cheezy annoyed me enough to tweet a response. Not that it will make any difference but it was cathartic nonetheless. 

Same.

26 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Reveal hidden contents

Apparently the discord server he made that post in is discussing banning him.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Yeaaaah...I'mm gonna have to get back on Bayo 3 after I finish Frontiers.  Super curious about what yall talking about lol.

Wait wut?

Are you playing Frontiers on the switch?

BTW, I Finally got my switch.

Gonna start Pokemon Scarlet today, I had to play Bayo on the switch that a friend lend me while my switch was liberated from customs.

I think that I will also replay Bayo3 since I had to play it in a short period of time to return the Switch on 1 week.

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Hide contents

spacer.png

21 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

whats that famous quote from george lucas. "special effects without a story..is a pretty boring thing."

so yea. i think for the goty category the story has to be the strongest thing. cuz a great gameplay with a weak story is not gonna cut it for goty. 

Resident Evil 8 was nominated for goty last year. The game story is not great by any means

20 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Resident Evil 8 was nominated for goty last year. The game story is not great by any means

Or how TLOU2 won the GOTY despite the vast majority of people who played it not liking the story, and how the vast majority of people voting for GoT, showing what a farce the VGA are, since the votes of the players are only counting as a small vote percentage against the selected few board of VG media and publishers 🤣

3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Wait wut?

Are you playing Frontiers on the switch?

BTW, I Finally got my switch.

Gonna start Pokemon Scarlet today, I had to play Bayo on the switch that a friend lend me while my switch was liberated from customs.

I think that I will also replay Bayo3 since I had to play it in a short period of time to return the Switch on 1 week.

No I'm playing Frontiers on the PS4 but I put Bayo 3 on hold while I'm focusing on Frontiers.  I have like less than 2 hours a day currently to put into my game time which is usually when I put my son to sleep and the TV in our living room is not being commandeered by my wife...who is also playing Dad of War Ragnarok currently.