Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

48 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

While Marvel is to blame for the roster on their side.

Capcom is to blame for all the shoddiness of the game as a whole.

After all, they were the ones that didn't want to make it in the 1st place, and only allowed it to happen once Capcom USA took over the costs of the project and made it as cheaply as possible.

I heard it was all Disney tho, they had specific mandates, and I kid you not, where Capcom was instructed to make their characters look far less visually appealing than Marvel's. If reports are to be believed 😂

14 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I heard it was all Disney tho, they had specific mandates, and I kid you not, where Capcom was instructed to make their characters look far less visually appealing than Marvel's. If reports are to be believed 😂

Yeah, i remember those rumors, but tbh, it doesn't really make sense, because no matter how you slice it, it wouldn't benefit them to have their character looking good (which they didn't, lol) while the rest of the cast looks like trash.

There are some snippets of that rumor that sound plausible going with what we know about Disney/Marvel and how they handle their licenses and how capcom has been very neglectful about how they handle their fighting games.

But most of that sounds like made up bullshit by a 4channer if you ask me.

For example, is believable that marvel micromanaged stuff about appearance and what kind of animations the chars will have, since is something that was documented from mvc3/umvc3, where they were very anal on how the chars should be portrayed, and, for example, what hand gestures dr strange will do for every spell.

But is not believable that they will impose how the chars of capcom will have to look, since they don't have  a say on that regard. They don't own the chars, and is against their interest of the game succeeding to have chars looking like meth addicts, since it will push away their business partner and brings negative attention to their brand.

Is believable that the game was made on a smaller fraction of what SFV had as a budget, but is not really feasible to think that it was made with the equivalent of SFV first DLC wave, unless we assume that the 1st wave was over budget and/or that includes the budget of the story mode and extra features that were added down the line, whicn in that case, i can see it?

Then we have other factors that the rumor/leak claimed that are demonstrable false, like that mvci reused assets from mvc3, which by itself is not really a negative, imo.

But when you compare 3d models and animation data, you can see that while there could be similarities in some, in many others it looks like they were made from the ground.

I presume because mvc3/umvc3 ran on the MT Framework, and the 3d models and animation data were not probably compatible with the tools capcom usa were using alongside UE4, not to mention that most documentation was probably in japanese.

I am all for giving shit to Disney, but they were not the only ones to blame for mvci fiasco.

/MK11 has sold over 12 mill world wide making it the highest selling Mortal Kombat to date

https://www.ign.com/articles/mortal-kombat-11-best-selling-mk-game-ever-73-million-franchise-sales

franchise as a whole has sold over 73 mill.

nearly 1000 Acti-Blizz employees sign letter supporting the harassment lawsuit against the company

YIKES....

That guy who was saying that the allegations against Acti-Blizz was slander has to be going through a range of emotions with nearly 1000 employees backing the lawsuit.    I bet they thought they were gonna find some way out of this before that happened.  If I were them I'd be trying to do what I can to settle at this point.  GGs.

Activision Blizzard employees decry 'abhorrent' company response to harassment lawsuit

More than 800 workers want "immediate" corrective action from the publisher.

Employees at Activision Blizzard are calling on the company to issue a new statement in response to the lawsuit it’s facing from the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). If you’ve been following the saga since it broke earlier in the month, you may recall the company brushed off allegations that it had fostered a “frat boy” workplace culture, claiming the lawsuit included “distorted, and in many cases false descriptions of Blizzard’s past.”

Now, in a letter obtained by Polygon, a group of more than 800 Activision Blizzard employees say the statement the company issued was “abhorrent and insulting,” and they’re demanding leadership undertake “immediate” corrective action. “Categorizing the claims that have been made as ‘distorted, and in many cases false’ creates a company atmosphere that disbelieves victims,” the letter states. “Our company executives have claimed that actions will be taken to protect us, but in the face of legal action — and the troubling official responses that followed — we no longer trust that our leaders will place employee safety above their own interests.”

The group specifically calls out the message Frances Townsend, executive vice president of corporate affairs at the publisher, sent to employees after the news broke. In the leaked email, Townsend claims the lawsuit DFEH filed presents “a distorted and untrue picture of our company, including factually incorrect, old and out of context stories — some from more than a decade ago.” According to Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier, the response had some workers “fuming.” The group that signed the letter is calling on Townsend to step down as executive sponsor of the ABK Employee Women’s Network.

The timing of the letter comes after Activision Blizzard reportedly held an ‘all-hands’ meeting with 500 employees. The Zoom call was supposed to include the entire studio, but a scheduling error meant not everyone could join the meeting. Activision executive Joshua Taub allegedly told those in attendance he and CEO Bobby Kotick “have never seen this,” adding that “does not mean this behavior does not happen.” Taub then reportedly said, “we don’t publicize all of these claims, we work with the employee and the person who is accused and try to work on a resolution.” The company has a second meeting planned for tomorrow, according to Uppercut

https://www.polygon.com/22594765/activision-blizzard-open-letter-harassment-lawsuit

Edited by AriesWarlock

You know, for a moment i was considering installing Valorant to try it out on my laptop, but then i remembered that it basically installs malware with its anti cheat stuff 🤣

Perhaps i should install it on a VM, but is too much trouble for a game i will probably drop after some few plays.

Apparently I had completely missed that June's NPD numbers came out a little over a week ago.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/07/16/june-2021-npd-hardware/

https://venturebeat.com/2021/07/16/june-2021-npd-ratchet-clank-and-mario-golf-set-franchise-records/

So apparently for the first time in quite some time...Xbox managed to chart in some fashion.  I'm not entirely sure what brought this own...only thing I can take a wild guess on is that maybe they've been able to put more consoles out there than Sony and because people are just buying SeXs instead of PS5's since they're easier to find.  Only guesses on that...cause it certainly can't be the games cause there hasn't any exclusives to be released yes to push the sales.  Anywho, Xbox SeX was the best selling hardware platform in dollar sales for the month while Switch still led the way in unit sales.  This was the best June ever for the xbox brand in terms of console sales.  Switch is still the most dominant console for this year and PS5 is still currently the fastest unit-selling console hardware platform in U.S. history for lifetime sales through 8 months on the market not including portables.

Going into Software, Ratchet and Clank, Scarlet Nexus and apparently Mario Golf Super Rush were the stars that month.  Ratchet and Clank took over the charts and Mario Golf did well enough that it made it to the 3rd spot with Scarlet Nexus taking the 5th.  No telling how long Mario Golf will last with the mostly luke warm reception it received but looks like people really wanted another Mario Golf game.

Top 20 for June: Ratchet & Clank: RA, CoD Blops CW, Mario Golf: SR, MLB The Show 21, Scarlet Nexus, RE8, MK8D, Minecraft, Miles Morales, MK11, AC: AH, CoD MW 2019, Smash Ult, Ass Creed: Valhalla, SM3DW+BF, Mass Effect: Legendary Edition.  Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2, LoZ: BotW, Pokemon Sw/Sh, Sea of Thieves  (side note about this.  This game came up from spot 36 to chart top 20 so that Pirates of the Caribbean DLC is doing work)

(other side note...I was curious as to how long Pokemon Snap was going to chart and that shit fuckin vanished this month.  I had to recheck last month's NPD numbers to make sure it was there.  That title was 3rd last month and POOFED)

Top 10 best selling this year:  CoD: Blops: CW, RE8, MLB: The Show 21, SM3DW+BF, Miles Morales, MH:Rise, MK8D, Ass Creed: Valhalla, Outriders, Minecraft

Top 10 for the last 12 months:  CoD Blops CW, Dat Madden 21, Ass Creed: Valhalla, Miles Morales, GoTsu  (this game is probably gonna get a major resurgence when that DLC/Directors cut hits),  SM3DAS, AC: NH, NBA 2K21, Marvel's Avengers, MK8D,

Top 10 Nintendo:  Mario Golf:SR, MK8D, AC:NH, Smash Ult, SM3DW+BF, LoZ: BotW, Pokemon Sw/Sh, New Pokemon Snap (oh there you are...looks like you're still selling on Ninty's charts so maybe you're just above 30 overall maybe?), Super Mario Party, Minecraft

Top 10 Playstation: Ratchet & Clank: RC, CoD Blops CW, MLB The Show 21, Miles Morales, RE8, Scarlet Nexus, Minecraft, Ass Creed: Valhalla, GoTsu, FFVII: R  (This game was 81 on Playstation's chart last month, didn't chart overall but looks like Intergrade did have some sort of impact)

Top 10 Xbox: CoD Blos CW, CoD MW 2019, RE8, Mass Effect: LE, Ass Creed: Valhalla, Scarlet Nexus, Forza Horizon 4, It Takes Two, MK 11, MLB The Show 21

19 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Super cool that capcom always dives into the ol' bag to bring up characters that haven't had a game in over a decade and just throw them in games that actually make money. 

But also, fuck you capcom for reminding me we'll probably never see another Okami. Now go put Morrigan and Viewtiful Joe in something else. 

6 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Super cool that capcom always dives into the ol' bag to bring up characters that haven't had a game in over a decade and just throw them in games that actually make money. 

But also, fuck you capcom for reminding me we'll probably never see another Okami. Now go put Morrigan and Viewtiful Joe in something else. 

This might be a blessing in disguise.  Is there anyone at Capcom that you think would be able to do a nee Okami justice let alone Viewtiful Joe?  Personally I'd probably outsource VJ to a smaller company that has more passion for the IP but Okami I think would be a bit trickier.

EA has not given up on basketball, working on new gen title

https://www.ign.com/articles/nba-basketball-ea-sports-return

I've laughed at Live floundering but 2K needs some competition so hopefully they'll actually do better when it hits this time.

EA has plans to expand its sports titles over the next 5 years

https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-expand-sports-games-500-million-players-next-five-years

Animal Crossing updates are still not done

https://www.ign.com/articles/animal-crossing-new-horizons-updates-in-development-nintendo-switch-fireworks

next update coming July 29

I always assumed there was no Japan in Pokemon and the dark skinned people where Dark Skinned of the world they come from. Ain't no Kanto Region in Japan. 

I dunno that's a phenomena I find really weird. Fictional characters from entirely fictional world but "Well he's obvious Japanese. Just cross the Yuruga River, climb over Mt Doom, just past Misery Mire and Japan's right there!!!"

No one in Pokemon is Japanese. They may look Asian but they aren't, there is no Asia in Pokemon. 

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This might be a blessing in disguise.  Is there anyone at Capcom that you think would be able to do a nee Okami justice let alone Viewtiful Joe?  Personally I'd probably outsource VJ to a smaller company that has more passion for the IP but Okami I think would be a bit trickier.

I have mad respect for the Monster Hunter team given how they have handled that series and the subtle advancements it had implemented. Also I want to say the main folks behind Dragon's Dogma are still there as well. Either of those folk I would let have a shot although you would need a crazy good artist and how well that art style works with the RE engine is another thing.

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I always assumed there was no Japan in Pokemon and the dark skinned people where Dark Skinned of the world they come from. Ain't no Kanto Region in Japan. 

I dunno that's a phenomena I find really weird. Fictional characters from entirely fictional world but "Well he's obvious Japanese. Just cross the Yuruga River, climb over Mt Doom, just past Misery Mire and Japan's right there!!!"

No one in Pokemon is Japanese. They may look Asian but they aren't, there is no Asia in Pokemon. 

While I agree with all of this, there is a Kanto Region in Japan.

I'm sorry for being THAT guy

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I listened to Gamexplain's review of the game and they also mentioned the blatant prejudice and racism in it but they didn't put it as a con just mentioned it as a means to further prove the person's innocence..  That's kind of weird to put it as a con since they're trying to portray how things were back then accurately.

I am guessing that probably was one of the reasons they held off on bringing the games out of Japan besides being late generation releases. 

4 hours ago, Wellman said:

I have mad respect for the Monster Hunter team given how they have handled that series and the subtle advancements it had implemented. Also I want to say the main folks behind Dragon's Dogma are still there as well. Either of those folk I would let have a shot although you would need a crazy good artist and how well that art style works with the RE engine is another thing.

Monster Hunter  and Dragon's Dogma won't really translate to Okami aside from a combat sense.  Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing them try but I highly doubt Capcom would take major talent from their MH pillar at the moment since that is on fire right now.   Not saying I wouldn't mind them taking a shot but I don't have confidence that it will be "Okami".

6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

While i get what you mean, the thing is that outside some obvious examples, like the Alola chars, most characters have a lot of characteristics that make them ambiguously brown.

Hell, even in the Alola region you could say that those of dark skin are more probably tanned than being of natural dark skin, like is the case with Nessa and Bea on Sword and Shield.

Shauna is most likely a kogal for example, given her fashion sense, the same with Nessa, giving that she is like an idol or model and Sonia is another gyaru, of all the chars that you could say is actually dark skinned is Iris, Mallow is left to interpretation if is just a tan, or if she is dark skinned, but even then, she is considering the context of the region either Polynesian (which technically makes her still asian) or inspired by the south ethnics of japan who usually have a darker skin  .

Edited by Hecatom
4 hours ago, BornWinner said:

“We need more games to be political.”

Great Ace Attorney: Has racism that’s portrayed negatively.

“Not that kind!”

This is a truly weird con since despite being wacky, all of the Ace Attorney games elements based off the real world.

The tweet was deleted, what did i miss?

17 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

While i get what you mean, the thing is that outside some obvious examples, like the Alola chars, most characters have a lot of characteristics that make them ambiguously brown.

Hell, even in the Alola region you could say that those of dark skin are more probably tanned than being of natural dark skin, like is the case with Nessa and Bea on Sword and Shield.

Shauna is most likely a kogal for example, given her fashion sense, the same with Nessa, giving that she is like an idol or model and Sonia is another gyaru, of all the chars that you could say is actually dark skinned is Iris, Mallow is left to interpretation if is just a tan, or if she is dark skinned, but even then, she is considering the context of the region either Polynesian (which technically makes her still asian) or inspired by the south ethnics of japan who usually have a darker skin  .

Inspured by =/= from that region. Pokemon is a unique world unto itself. Humans are inspired by the world around them and that will be reflected in their works but no one in Pokemon is Polynesian, like that's not really a thing. It's like the setting of The Witcher is very clearly based on Poland, but isn't Poland and no one there is from Poland. Same for Middle Earth and Englishmen. 

I dunno it's just weird to me a lot of people claim fictional characters from fictional world's are a specific type race from our world. Is it a need or want to feel more like the character on screen or something? That's a disconnect for me and a lot of other people because generally I want stuff to be as removed from our world as possible on fiction or else I would just go outside. I also don't generally see myself in characters but as individuals themselves. Even in RPGs with create a characters and heavy RP I never make or play myself but someone who looks and acts nothing like me but moat people I talk to seem to do the exact opposite. 

Edited by RSG3
1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

The tweet was deleted, what did i miss?

Someone posted a screenshot from a review on this website of The Great Ace Attorney. I assumed the website changed the reasoning so she deleted it. Anyway, it was docked a point because the use of real world politics doesn’t fit the wacky world of Ace Attorney or to be specific, there are some racist comments since you play a Japanese man in Victorian era London. A weird thing to complain about since it isn’t portrayed as positive in the first place and the games in general have been a criticism of the Japanese court system.

2 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

shit i don't know for sure japan doesn't exist in pokemon since the amazon rain forest apparently does.

and the pokedex talking bout raichu shocking Indian elephants and shit.

Hahaha I'll hold my L. 

That Pokedex has some real bullshit in it lmao. 

13 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Inspured by =/= from that region. Pokemon is a unique world unto itself. Humans are inspired by the world around them and that will be reflected in their works but no one in Pokemon is Polynesian, like that's not really a thing. It's like the setting of The Witcher is very clearly based on Poland, but isn't Poland and no one there is from Poland. Same for Middle Earth and Englishmen. 

I dunno it's just weird to me a lot of people claim fictional characters from fictional world's are a specific type race from our world. Is it a need or want to feel more like the character on screen or something? That's a disconnect for me and a lot of other people because generally I want stuff to be as removed from our world as possible on fiction or else I would just go outside. I also don't generally see myself in characters but as individuals themselves. Even in RPGs with create a characters and heavy RP I never make or play myself but someone who looks and acts nothing like me but moat people I talk to seem to do the exact opposite. 

I totally agree with you on that, my reasoning is more in line with those chars are stylized humans, and while we see dark skin individuals, since they are heavily stylized, we can't really assume they are meant to reflect any race like blacks, mixed race latinos, hindi, etc.

Specially when most of the things we see, while inspired by other regions of the world, still have a lot of japanese stuff in there as well, hence why i default them to just stylized japaneses unless said otherwise.

It is why i find stupid when people say that Nessa is being whitewashed in some fan art, since in no place is have been said that she is actually black for example.

12 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I totally agree with you on that, my reasoning is more in line with those chars are stylized humans, and while we see dark skin individuals, since they are heavily stylized, we can't really assume they are meant to reflect any race like blacks, mixed race latinos, hindi, etc.

Specially when most of the things we see, while inspired by other regions of the world, still have a lot of japanese stuff in there as well, hence why i default them to just stylized japaneses unless said otherwise.

It is why i find stupid when people say that Nessa is being whitewashed in some fan art, since in no place is have been said that she is actually black for example.

people's mistake in general is getting baited by folks whose intention was solely to piss off people anyway getting mad over white nessa is in the same catagory of getting mad over that white nago mod in strive. it doesn't seem worth the effort.

7 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

people's mistake in general is getting baited by folks whose intention was solely to piss off people anyway getting mad over white nessa is in the same catagory of getting mad over that white nago mod in strive. it doesn't seem worth the effort.

The strive one is funny to me because ArcSystems has been doing crazy colors for characters for years. Jams had just about every skin color under the sun, and sure a few that aren't lol. 

15 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

The strive one is funny to me because ArcSystems has been doing crazy colors for characters for years. Jams had just about every skin color under the sun, and sure a few that aren't lol. 

Yeah, but the difference is that previous games were heavily stylized, plus the colors were meant to reflect the Gyaru fashion.

And while Strive is still stylized, Nago is unambiguosly black, hence, SF Strive doesn't have colors that drastically change the skin color like previous game

And because of that, now idiots are trying to claim that Ramlethal and Giovanna are also meant to be black.

Edit

BTW, Nago is so far the only addition to the game that feels like a GG char in everything, Giovanna is not a bad char design, but she is not GG, and the cowboy is fucking lame.

Strive keeps being a Glamorous Garbage 🤣

Edited by Hecatom