Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

19 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Dead Space isn't that different from sci-fi horror like Alien. Imagine if Metroid Fusion was a 3D game with a larger focus on its horror and having an religion be behind the conspiracy instead of the government

I actually thought Dread was scary. I legit had to take a break at one point because of the EMMI. Of course, it didn't help I was playing on a huge screen in the dark with headphones turned up 😂

Hey, the state of mind I was in had something to do with it too.

Edited by Chadouken

As far as the Dead Space remake goes I'm really liking it. The things I like so far over the original game

- The Ishimura being an open environment you can backtrack and explore rather it being broken up into levels. The level design is more akin to mansion of REmake, and the police station of RE2.

- The supporting cast is way better. Issacs crew actually feels like a crew rather than a bunch of assholes who give Issac orders out of self interest. They actually support the guy and provide it however and whenever they can. 

- Nicole plays a more active role. There's new video and audio logs that shows what she did to help when everything went to hell

- It feels like Motive drew a lot from Dead Space 2 as Isaac's character, background and the lore of Unitology are directed lifted from that game. Unitology in general has a larger role to play in the overall story compared to the original where it had a few mentions at most. The game's combat is lifted from DS2. I like this a lot as I feel the second game is just as good as the first but doesn't get as much recognition. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm really impressed with UE5 stuff I see.  I have a couple games that use it but they're not like...super technical or whatever.  They're simple games.  The most taxing one is that super man tech demo thing I tried out (think it might just be that matrix tech demo but with supes instead of neo).  All you do is fly/walk around some city but man does it look pretty. 

42 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Knockout city is dying on June 6th

Man, this one really hurts, because is a game I really enjoy to play 😕

I am still mad at the dead of Spellbreak, and this one is not helping

EDIT

OHHHHHH

At least the devs are creating a build were you can create your own servers to keep playing online.

But Dunno if this will be only for px, or if the build on consoles will be updated to that as well.

image.png

Edited by Hecatom

^haha that is way more of a disaster than I imagined... 

This also reminded me--- the Doom soundtrack on the PlayStation version was incredible, imo....yes, I prefer this over the PC original

A lot of this (except the title and menu theme) is slower, more foreboding ambiance kind of thing... like what you hear in a horror film.  It's a better fit to what I always imagined that Hellish world to be.

Ah, but one thing that irked me to no end with the playstation version---- the Arch-Vile is nowhere to be found (apparently cut due to a lack of RAM or something, I think), and that happens to be my favorite enemy!

Edited by MillionX
Just now, iStu X said:

I won’t tolerate Eternal Sonata slander. One of my favorite PS360 era games. 

also, 

He goes into detail of why he didn't like it back in the day when he played it for the 1st time.

It seems it was a in part due a burnout from RPGs, where he played the 3 FFFXIII in a row and then ES.

During the video he proceeds to give a lot of praise to all the things he likes now that he is playing it again for a 2nd time, and while still points out to things that he finds problems with, ends admitting that it turns out he loves ES now, lol.

12 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I won’t tolerate Eternal Sonata slander. One of my favorite PS360 era games. 

Not going to lie, I found Eternal Sonata incredibly disappointing. I didn't think it was bad game but average. Which is a shame because the concept was unique and it had a really cool art style. That said, can't click the video because I'm still at work, did dude really "hate" the game. I mean I can't think of anything in ES that would warrant hatred. 

51 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Not going to lie, I found Eternal Sonata incredibly disappointing. I didn't think it was bad game but average. Which is a shame because the concept was unique and it had a really cool art style. That said, can't click the video because I'm still at work, did dude really "hate" the game. I mean I can't think of anything in ES that would warrant hatred. 

Like I sad in my reply to Stu, he goes into detail of why he "hated" it back when he played it the 1st time.

But now that he played it years later, while he still has some problems with certain design choices, the hilarious dub and other stuff that he thinks are let downs, he says that he likes it, since there is much more stuff he likes now than what he thought back in the day.

The video is mostly a revisiting of games he hates/hated to see if that sentiment still holds up, all while giving a context of why he hated the games back then.

It is why the video is called, Giving in to the games I hate 😅

Edited by Hecatom

Did not know that Takenobu Mitsuyoshi was in the original Burning Rangers theme.  I've never listened to P4's OST completely...will probably need to fix that at some point

VGM Fridays!  Anniversaries that were missed last month include DBFZ (5th) , MvC1 Arcade release (25th),  DMC4 (25th) , Celeste (5th),  and the Jp release for Smash Brawl ( 15th).  First section will be centered around these games.

Spoiler

reg contribution

...so good to hear Yong covering all these live services getting shut down.  This trend in gaming is a plague that deserves to die out.  It disappointed me to see that Redfall was yet another that is part of that category---- just watch, it will play out the same way... servers will be crap so no one will be able to play when it launches... playerbase will drop off a cliff pretty fast and the game will be completely dead and thus unplayable in about 1 to 2 years....again proving that *forced* reliance on the internet connection is by far the worst thing ever to happen to videogames.  

It's always odd to me when some content creators (YongYea himself is one) that sometimes say "this is a good idea in theory but..."----NO, it's not even a good idea to begin with.  This is a garbage concept from the start that only benefits  companies, and is all negative for the consumer.  Even something as simple as "server maintenance" time---that means you can't play the game at the moment....as opposed to a game that works offline where you can play it whenever you you have the free time.

Diablo 3 btw--- I hit paragon level 1000 just yesterday; first time I've gone that far within a season; that's going to be a huge paragon point bump once this season ends (when that happens, your seasonal characters and all that paragon leveling gets added to your regular "non-season" cast of characters, which at least on console can be played offline whenever you want...I was playing offline characters while waiting on my gym class session to start earlier, btw)

**Hogwarts---I went ahead and pre-ordered the deluxe edition, so I'll be able to start my adventures in this apparently tonight!

Edited by MillionX

Regarding live service games, I think that a good chunk of them should provide rhe ability to do either peer to peer or private servers once the companies themselves kill the game.  One of the live service games  (think it was Knockout City)  is doing this and that made me start wondering why this isn't a common option with other games.

Edited by Sonichuman
4 hours ago, MillionX said:

Hogwarts---I went ahead and pre-ordered the deluxe edition, so I'll be able to start my adventures in this apparently tonight!

I've never been super into Harry Potter, but I've been hearing good things about this game. 

Other than the fact that Hogwarts sounds like an STD @zatalcon3 got from his girlfriend, it could turn out to be pretty solid.

In an interesting turn of events because most of the world actually exists in shades of gray and not everything is a black and white issue as some may think or even want it to be...

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/934065-hogwarts-legacy-trans-character-transgender-sirona-ryan

I'm already seeing that those people who exist in a black and white space though are saying this is just being used as a smokescreen to distract from JK Rowling....which isn't really a negative thing in my eyes?  They're spinning it that way though.  Am I wrong in not seeing this as a negative thing?

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

In an interesting turn of events because most of the world actually exists in shades of gray and not everything is a black and white issue as some may think or even want it to be...

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/934065-hogwarts-legacy-trans-character-transgender-sirona-ryan

I'm already seeing that those people who exist in a black and white space though are saying this is just being used as a smokescreen to distract from JK Rowling....which isn't really a negative thing in my eyes?  They're spinning it that way though.  Am I wrong in not seeing this as a negative thing?

Depending on the depth of the character, throwing them in a smoke screen isn't feasible. If it's some random NPC sure but if the character fleshed out and has several voice lines then they were always in the works. The hypocrites just need to take their L. They are likely buying several products from companies that "harm" communities.