Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Pretty safe bet call but I'm going to do it, since the designs of the karts in the movie are unique to movie...I would not be surprised if some of them showed up in MK8D's DLC before the end.  It feels like way too much of a brain dead idea for it not to be done that the only reason it won't be done is because of Nintendo just not doing it because they're Nintendo.  It's easy AF cross promotion.  I'm not going to expect it now with the movie coming out by maybe around the time it gets released digitally/physical.

extra

13 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

So Wanted Dead is the John Wick game no one was able to give us?

In some parts of the execution yes.  You are the 2nd person I've seen compare this game to John Wick.  Embargo for that movie is supposed to be dropping in the next few days and that's when I saw the mention

And that stemmed from Ed Boon quote retweeting this and telling someone to work on it because they're busy with MK.

I've been playing the demo for REmake4 and it's definitely going to take some getting used to since you're trying not to play it like OG 4 but there's some similarities.  They did a hell of a job on this game graphic wise and sound design wise so far.  I'm playing this on the 4K with surround sound and I know people are gonna get a ton of mileage out of this demo.  I'll probably play it a few times myself so I can get better at it.

Edit:  Something I'm also going to mention is that I LOVE when devs actually make use of functions on a console.  So they are actually using the speaker on the PS5 for certain sounds and for radios when Leon picks it up in his hand.  I love little stuff like that and I actually wished Nintendo had actually kept speakers on their controllers after Wii/Wii U.

Edit 2:  Holy hell they really be coming out of the wood work when you get spotted in the village.  I am NOT ready.    I got El Kabonged in the back of the dome by a shovel after I got surrounded and took a dirt nap lol.

Edit 3:  Yo these villagers are ASSHOLES lol.  You can not have any villagers around you while Mr. Chainsaw is around cause if they grab you that is your CHEEKS.  God this game is fucking fun as shit and it's tense!

Edited by Sonichuman

Code Vein was a heartbreaker for me...  at best it's just "alright".  The difficulty is off-putting, as if the design concept there was to make sure and crush any kind of fun the player could be having in any situation.  The best thing about it was the customization; the art style is very anime and kinda reminded me of how "Bleach" looks, so I loved that... 

...but the controls/gameplay felt kinda clunky and awkward, imo.  Backstabs also seemed inconsistent, like the game itself rolls the dice or just  "decides" (cheats) whether or not your backstab was successful.  

The revenant/vampire power fantasy just isn't there for me as well; partially due to the difficulty but mostly due to the lack of interesting powers/abilities.  These characters you play just don't seem to be all that, imo....and they move too slow, like they have only "normal human" levels of speed/agility. (*at the very least I imagine vamps/revenants to have superhuman agility and speed.  That should be some basic shit that even a newly-turned "fledgling" starts with.)  

There's DLC but from what I heard and read about it didn't seem like anything that was worth my money or time.

The worst though---the co-op mode is one of the worst garbage I've seen since Fable 2.  It was so awful I only played it with a friend on one day and never again. (*your healing/resources are cut in half because again--> "No fun allowed.", and anytime player 1 or 2 dies then the whole thing is ruined and you have to start that area over....also you can only play certain areas; I forgot the details of the restriction but if 1 person didn't make it to an area yet, you couldn't play it in co-op.  Also, we had to make a password-created "room" and then 1 would have to run a search for said password to join....can't just click a "join game" or "invite player" option or whatever like y'know...damn near every other co-op game in the past 20-ish or so years.  One player dies?  Ok now you have to create the password room and have your friend run a search for it again to start the whole area over from the beginning....oh and the silly shit is that I vaguely remember there was a simple "invite" or something button but it was greyed out for some dumbass reason...so that's why we had to make a password room and then 1 of us would search for it and enter the password to join.  There's other lame shit I probably forgot now.  It's a miserable shitty experience, probably designed by a little shit of a person who I bet was trolling at the time.)

1 hour ago, Abbachio said:

I played Dead Cells a long while ago and didn't really like it but I decided to give it another shot and I'm really enjoying it this go round.

Ive been pretty addicted to it. The build variety and character movement are pretty awesome and the game gives you so many options to play with that it doesn't get boring. It definitely has that "Just one more run and THEN I'll shut it down for the night" quality.

Funny thing is that I still, in hundreds of hours total playtime... never made it to the top difficulty in Dead Cells, which is "5-cells" (so yeah; I've never fought the "true" final boss, actually).  I played for a bit just the other day, though my addiction to Diablo at the moment keeps getting in the way of other games.

I'm usually going with either a Tactics or a Brutality build/focus.... I get the most success and fun with those.  

I'll most likely get that Castlevania content this weekend and dig into that.

ha, my earlier rambling reminded me again of how much I despised Fable 2's co-op mode... it has yet to be dethroned as the worst co-op experience I've ever seen in gaming.  Code Vein came close though....but goddamn that was awful.  It still makes me laugh that when Peter Molyneux mentioned "you'll be like a henchman.." when describing it... he was being literal in the description there.  You actually ARE a "henchman" (of horribly generic character design) in your friend's game, instead of your own hero character. 🤣 

On 3/9/2023 at 5:33 AM, MillionX said:

Whoah I didn't know they were adding characters to that Mario Kart game... my hope would be for Magikoopa, who has always been one of my favorite enemy characters in the Mario universe.  Mouser would be a cool one too, though I wouldn't be surprised if few people are fans of him or the other characters from the American version of Super Mario Bros. 2.

Kamek seems like the most obvious choice to me as well as one of the remaining ones.

Edited by purbeast
12 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Edit 2:  Holy hell they really be coming out of the wood work when you get spotted in the village.  I am NOT ready.    I got El Kabonged in the back of the dome by a shovel after I got surrounded and took a dirt nap lol.

Edit 3:  Yo these villagers are ASSHOLES lol.  You can not have any villagers around you while Mr. Chainsaw is around cause if they grab you that is your CHEEKS.  God this game is fucking fun as shit and it's tense!

Edited 12 hours ago by Sonichuman

I would often have a grandma spawn out of nowhere and sucker punch me. It would get me every time I thought I could take a breather.

There were moments in the demo where a small cutscene would play when Mr. Chainsaw would destroy the support beams completely cutting off some paths.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I would often have a grandma spawn out of nowhere and sucker punch me. It would get me every time I thought I could take a breather.

There were moments in the demo where a small cutscene would play when Mr. Chainsaw would destroy the support beams completely cutting off some paths.

I decided I was going to get the shotgun cause they were coming out of every area and Mr. Chainsaw could be heard coming from whatever direction he was threatening from.   I was fully going to use the Shotgun to delete him from the board but one of the villagers grabbed  as I was pumping shots into him and just set me up for the 1-2 instakill.  I'll probably try running around the area more once Mr. Chainsaw comes out but they did a hell of a job with it feeling intense cause you're running away from the initial group of Villagers and as you're running around the area they're spawning villagers to come in right in your path.  You really do not feel safe at all to stand around for even a second.

Sony says that Xbox's Call of Duty could irreparably harm competition

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-xboxs-call-of-duty-offer-will-irreparably-harm-competition

I'm really annoyed that Sony thinks so little of its first party like this.  CoD is not everything, yeah it's a juggernaut and people buy that franchise regardless of whether people shit on it or not just like the Madden franchise but ActiBlizz is running that franchise into the ground.  At some point the milk is going to run out of the cow if you don't give it an opportunity to replenish.

Sanada doesn't know if he's in the 2nd MK movie yet or not

https://www.ign.com/articles/mortal-kombat-hiroyuki-sanada-return-sequel

Konami is aware that fans want more Castlevania

https://www.ign.com/articles/castlevania-dead-cells-interview-konami

8 hours ago, Camacho said:

Any verdicts here on Wo Long yet? For a point of reference, I had a blast with both Nioh games (biggest knock is the Diablo-like loot system) and I fucking loved Sekiro. I already intend on getting it at some point, just curious what you guys think.

You'll probably like it then, Wo Long is basically the malformed child of Sekiro and Nioh. Combat is simple enough; you have a sort of posture/stam meter that goes into positive when using light attacks and hitting parries, you can then spend that bar on magic, special skills and heavy attacks but rolling, blocking or just getting hit will also reduce your bar and if your bar is fully negative you'll be stunned for a brief period.

Missions are very similar in size to Nioh from what I can tell and unfortunately the looter style system is still in place.

Camera is kinda fucky though and it makes dealing with groups a bit of pain.

8 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm really annoyed that Sony thinks so little of its first party like this.  CoD is not everything, yeah it's a juggernaut and people buy that franchise regardless of whether people shit on it or not just like the Madden franchise but ActiBlizz is running that franchise into the ground.  At some point the milk is going to run out of the cow if you don't give it an opportunity to replenish

I think Sony is saying what they need to in order to block the acquisition from happening. Anyone with a brain knows Sony's business won't tank if it doesn't have CoD.

13 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

i just got bodied hard by 

Reveal hidden contents

the bastard that comes after u beat dracula. 

like rocked. i havent gotten bodied that hard in a long time in dead cells.. but i had terrible weapons on me for that particular fight tho.

Interesting. I haven't made.it.to Dracula yet, but playing on 1BC I've been having a tough time having enough DPS to really hang with Death, so while I beat him once (with the Alucard Sword) I haven't been able to do that again with any other weapons at this point

5 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I really hope they start preserving some of those ios games. Jailbreaking is a pain in the ass and not really worth it at this point, and there were some good titles available back then.

There was a Sega game called Samurai Bloodshow which was a card battle game that was really excellent, but at some point they stopped updating it, and given that Apple forces you onto newer firmwares, eventually you wouldn't be able to play it unless you kept your device offline.