Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I felt this way with the medieval remake. While I loved the graphical upgrade I was disappointed that it was the same game from 97. No attempt at quality of life was made.

Yea, not even bothering with any kind of modernization at all is just like "Why did you even bother?"

Like if they made a Maximo port and didn't put in a camera control option like...not even sure I would buy it and I love Maximo. 

By the way Maximo seriously needs a modern day port with some QOL work. Games so fucking good. 

Edited by RSG3

Neil shows up on Kinda Funny Games and gives kind of an update on what Naughty Dog is doing

Should start around where he starts talking

But I'll steal some of the points from ResetEra and put them here

The Last Of Us Online is their next one game to be released, lots of info "coming later in the year"
- Naughty Dog has restructured to be able to develop multiple games at the same time (be it new IPs, sequels or both).
- The studio now has a large team of producers, game directors and writers that allow them to be more organized.
- The next big thing after TLOU Online is already into development and although he acknowledges the fan request for a TLOU Part 3, the next project has already been chosen and it's something that the whole studio chose because it's something that will keep everyone excited for years to come.
- TLOU Online is the first TLOU project that he was "just" producing/overseeing", as he wasn't its main director or writer.

This Mad Chainsaw mode is no joke.  You are pretty much forced to use the knife if you get grabbed.

Edit:  They drop 3 of these assholes in here!?  I thought it was just 2!  Oh hell naw!

Edit 2: Oh they have NO FUCKS to give now.  I thought they were aggressive before they got them bitches GUNNING for you.  I shot a villager in the leg to trip him up while he was running to me it worked the first time.  The second time he just super armored through the bullet.  You can't make mistakes at all since you have no health which makes the first part crucial.  I can only imagine what getting to the actual village will be like.  I'll be screaming with a horde of people around me running around the village with Benny Hill playing in the background.

Edit 3:  Tell ya'll what this is pretty funny how I'm getting fucked up like this by grunts in this mode.  This mfers are eating headshots and doing their best Goldberg impersonation.  Especially this douche with the pitchfork.  I'm streaming the mode if ya'll want to have a laugh at me

https://www.twitch.tv/sonichuman

Edit 4:  The axe throwers aim is IMMACULATE.  Getting 1-2 comboed by the axe and the pitchfork...mmmyeeeessss.  At least I made it to the village.

Edited by Sonichuman

Strange... today is the day for Wolcen to hit consoles, but when checking a little while ago it was still just showing up as "just announced" instead of showing a price.  I suspect it was indeed a rush since Diablo 4 is about to hit with their open beta.

Well, this grants a little more time when my current addictions to Dead Cells and Diablo 3....oh and I recently noticed I have about the same total time on both; 515 hours....heh, so over 1000 hours of good times just from those 2 games (and with D3 it's really that 515 + the 102 or so on PS5 and the 850-ish on XB...and I also play Dead Cells on XB and Steam Deck now so it's easily over 2000 hours if we include the other platforms).  Other forms of entertainment really cannot compare to gaming, imo.

On 3/13/2023 at 12:03 AM, VirginDefiler said:

dead cells. strongest thing from the new dlc is alucard's shield n sword. try to have both in a run cuz when he swings the sword he uses the shield to parry while he swings the sword. pretty neat.

Hide contents

also bowling with medusa's head is pretty  ugly fun.

Interesting, didn't know that about the parry while swinging. I got that shield that also gives you his sword once but then never again. Every Alucard Sword is a really great weapon, but I'm also enjoying Death's Scythe too, but haven't really had tons of luck making a decent build around it.

17 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

@DoctaMario Perhaps you have some insight on this given your career background. Open-Back Headphones or studio headphones?

https://www.makeuseof.com/gaming-headphones-alternatives/

In my experience, most game audio is mixed well enough that it'll sound good even on the trashy earbuds that came with my Switch case, through portable switch speakers, crappy flat screen tvs, etc. So if you have something nominally decent you're playing the sound through, you're going to get good results, and spending more money may not really give you drastically better results in regard to what you've spent. 

Having said that, these days I'm either running the sound through my Genelec studio monitors or the headphones I use in studio and both sound excellent. The studio phones are some $50 Audio Technica (I think?) ones I got at Guitar Center and they've got good low end response and are even and clear. 

I don't have any experience with open back headphones, but from what I understand, they can prevent distortion or odd resonances due to allowing sound to escape out the back (though I have yet to experience headphones that have either of these things, but ymmv), with the downside being that you can't really use them in situations where you're trying to be quiet. Imo these sound like audiophile gimmick stuff because being able to listen in silence is the main reason for using headphones, and if it isn't, why wouldn't you just use some speakers (unless of course you're going for a more immersive experience in, say, a horror game. But in this case, it also means they'd probably let in more ambient noise, thus sort of killing the immersion a bit.)

So I would say use good speakers or some studio headphones unless you're bound and determined to go with open back phones.

50 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Looks kike Druckmann is mostly going to stick to guns.  I'm ready for people to get triggered!

I feel for people into this IP.  TLoU wasn't my bag personally. I'm surprised I like RE4 because I've been over the zombie thing for like 25 years. I don't have the attachment to Joel that fans do. I just thought the writing and overall story structure was bad. Not only that, I think they should had the player start as Abby and switch to Ellie. What they were going for would have been more effective if they tried to get people to care about Abby first. Instead she's just the yoked chick that killed their favorite post apocalyptic dad.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
30 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Not only that, I think they should had the player start as Abby and switch to Ellie. What they were going for would have been more effective if they tried to get people to care about Abby first.

That's really interesting. If you had no clue what the connection was when starting the game and playing through Abby's backstory first, it would have made her as a much more relatable character. Because the way it actually is, all I did for the first several hours playing as Abby was to see how many ways I could kill that bitch.

Oh shit, what if the game made you kill Joel as Abby? That would have been some epic shit 😂

10 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

That's really interesting. If you had no clue what the connection was when starting the game and playing through Abby's backstory first, it would have made her as a much more relatable character. Because the way it actually is, all I did for the first several hours playing as Abby was to see how many ways I could kill that bitch.

Oh shit, what if the game made you kill Joel as Abby? That would have been some epic shit 😂

Your reaction is the one most people had. And they should have had you kill Joel as Abby after establishing her. Give the player a true moral dilemma. You shouldn't have even know it was Joel until it gets to the point where you have to kill him. You just hear about this asshole that killed her father for her perspective all the way to the lead up. The player will get hyped to take dude out then find out it's Joel. That, in your words,  would been some epic shit. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Your reaction is the one most people had. And they should have had you kill Joel as Abby after establishing her. Give the player a true moral dilemma. You shouldn't have even know it was Joel until it gets to the point where you have to kill him. You just hear about this asshole that killed her father for her perspective all the way to the lead up. The player will get hyped to take dude out then find out it's Joel. That, in your words,  would been some epic shit. 

I like this idea.  I think it would have helped what Druckmann was trying to do with that aspect.

3 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I like this idea.  I think it would have helped what Druckmann was trying to do with that aspect.

When it comes to story telling it's often not what happens but how it happens. TLoU2, from the outside looking in, seemed to want to stir up moral dilemma's within in the player. And for me, it seems like they did a really poor job of it. Giving people or animals names and having people call out for them ain't it. Most people are going have a hard time sympathizing with an adversary that is trying to kill them, whether they are nameless or not. Having players be both sides of a conflict, but starting off with the familiar party in the conflict isn't going to engender the other side to player. They are just going to be the assholes coming after the characters they already like.

Looking it up again I see there's a better-looking 2019 version now... "Haloid" was the best fan-made thing I've ever seen (yep I realize Monty O. went on to become something of a big name later and created the RWBY series, I think)

Incredible....and set to "Burly Brawl", which is one of my favorite action-scene movie tracks of all time. (if I made a top 50 or top 20, that track and "Chateau" are at least inside the top 5 GOAT status action themes.)

6 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Looking it up again I see there's a better-looking 2019 version now... "Haloid" was the best fan-made thing I've ever seen (yep I realize Monty O. went on to become something of a big name later and created the RWBY series, I think)

Incredible....and set to "Burly Brawl", which is one of my favorite action-scene movie tracks of all time. (if I made a top 50 or top 20, that track and "Chateau" are at least inside the top 5 GOAT status action themes.)

That guy did a really good job updating Haloid.  I think Monty would have dug it.

Bought and beat Steel Assault the other day f or $7. Game is barely an hour long, but every second is a joy it's clearly a loveletter to fans of Gunstar Heroes and Contra if it was a longer game I'd say it's a must play for everyone. Also the final boss attacked me, I dodged, and he went offscreen permanently so I had to kill myself to try again it happened twice stupid fucking glitch.

Anyone have Signalis? It could be this generation's best horror game.

26 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Did you guys ever see or hear about any gang activity in the arcades you frequented? Was this an actual concern?

More or less, yes, but that is because the arcade was on a mall that was centric to various zones, some which included places with gangs.

There wasnt much of an issue on the mall, but outside of it, specially very late it could be a problem.

^fortunately I never saw or *noticed* gang activity at the arcades I went to back then... which is a bit surprising considering I grew up in that ragged shit-pile known as Memphis, TN.

I haven't seen this happen before--- Wolcen still shows the release date to be 3/14/23, but so far... it's still not even showing a price on PSN....perhaps it's just set to be available later tonight, I guess.  I was thinking that surely they'd at least be showing the price and a specific release time by now.  Well, I keep seeing people talk about technical problems though... yeah this console version will be one to wait for a review then.

so there's a LOT of new outfits in Dead Cells via the Castlevania dlc.... I just got Hector, Maria Renard and Simon outfits

https://screenrant.com/how-to-unlock-every-outfit-dead-cells-castlevania/

The current run is going alright; I just beat Death and got the Scythe...currently 14 points on Brutality.

Edited by MillionX

dead cells.

last night, played richter mode. interesting but i hated it. i hated the weird jumping. awful. 

anyway.

i also screwed around with king sceptre new weapon pre castlevania dlc.

this weapon is the closest thing to a dp in dead cells. best thing is when u pair it with either bone or nail weapons.

bone makes u gain mad height on your king sceptre.

sceptre makes nail easy to start up.

kings sceptre is my new fav weapon.

5 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I've actually been listening to this OST for the past couple of days and this track I think is definitely one of the standouts.  It almost doesn't sound out of place in something like Hocus Pocus.

They need to patch the game to where it’s 60fps. There’s no reason it shouldn’t be when the first one was. 

3 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Did you guys ever see or hear about any gang activity in the arcades you frequented? Was this an actual concern?

If it was there I never recognized it. I mostly was focused on games when I went to arcades as a kid. By the time I became older, it was either somewhat empty and dimly local arcades or family arcade joints where everyone was just having a good time

13 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Watching the newest episode of Triple KO. It’s interesting, they’re talking about Galloping Ghosts and even brought in the owner as a guest. One thing they brought up was something I never thought of since these were before my time.

I took a day trip to Galloping Ghost last year. It's a cool spot with a ton of games, but so many of the games are in bad shape.  It was kind of a shame.  Like controls on 1/2 the games were all jacked up, and monitors on about half of them were messed up too, or the sound wasn't working.  As someone who owns a few arcade games, I can't imagine how they could actually keep all of the games they have in working shape.  The place is also smaller than I thought it would be.  Like it's big, but it's also super cramped.

As for arcades when I was a kid, it wasn't necessarily gang activity, but it was more the older teenage crowd there that my parents were worried about.  I was like 10-14 when arcades were huge with the fighting games and you would have the older kids hanging out at some arcades that just drew in those people.  Some were darker and poor lighting than others and just in bad locations.  You'd have kids smoking and stuff and looking back, I'm guessing some of them were drinking too.