Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Those load times tho...

I personally don't mind back tracking, I find it enjoyable, Primes problem is that Magmoor is  basically the hub of the game, it's a thin long stretch you have to go from one end to the other multiple times in, you navigate it repeatedly to get so many places. Every time you need to go to Phendrana you have to navigate Magmoor. 

You just go there too much. Phendrana needs a mid game Tallon IV Overworld Elevator. Would help so much. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Those challenges in Dread are far easier than the shit you need to do to get a 100% in zero mission

Zero Missions 100% is pure bullshit. I gave up on that nonsense real quick. 

Dreads Shinespark puzzles are demanding but they aren't fucking stupid as shit like they are in Zero Mission. Shinesparking the way you want to has also been dramatically increased, player control of the shinespark is way crisper bow compared to past games where you would get horizontal shinesparks when trying to go diagonal and shit. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Zero Missions 100% is pure bullshit. I gave up on that nonsense real quick. 

Dreads Shinespark puzzles are demanding but they aren't fucking stupid as shit like they are in Zero Mission. Shinesparking the way you want to has also been dramatically increased, player control of the shinespark is way crisper bow compared to past games where you would get horizontal shinesparks when trying to go diagonal and shit. 

I gave up on shinesparking in Zero mission when I needed to do them while in morph ball form. Like, how am I supposed to maintain momentum and still do that? 

4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I gave up on shinesparking in Zero mission when I needed to do them while in morph ball form. Like, how am I supposed to maintain momentum and still do that? 

Yea I don't think they tested out those morph ball shinesparks well enough. They are very tough to do, I get it like 30% of the time. I generally don't even bother. 

I went back to my pc version of Dead Cells on Steam Deck...currently on a Brutality build for this run and it's going well so far, surprisingly on 4bc.  ...heh, one room I went into had an elite version of that enemy that shoots the energy ball and teleports....in a small area....right next to a golem and other enemies.  I backed out of that room SO fast.

Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

**edit---and yet I still take risks anyway----I found a room with a cursed chest here in Slumbering Sanctuary... yes I could not resist and took the curse....

...annnd yep, a golem who didn't even see me at all did the magical long-distance grab to engage in battle with me, so there was no escape.  I knew as soon as he did the ground slam it would be over (that move comes out super fast) and that's what the deal was.

so close---I should've just kept going without taking the curse, obviously....because Sanctuary is one step away from the area that leads to the fight with the Giant, and I probably could've killed him with that setup, which would've earned me the 5th boss cell.

Edited by MillionX

heh, sometimes the greed just takes over.... that extra power....it is just too delicious.  The temptation is strong. 😆

That thrill adds a little extra for the experience too... like "will our hero make it!?  Let's see what happens, folks!"

Next time I get into Dracula's castle I'm NOT taking the cursed chest though, so I can actually get through the place.  The last 2 times, I died because of the curse.

ah, if only I had tomorrow off as well... I could get a few more runs in; this wonderful game has been one of the most addictive I've ever played.

*man, this reminds me of something I miss from the pre-pandemic days....taking Switch with me to work on a daily basis; so most of the time on breaks and lunch (or at my desk if the system went down) I was at it yet again with Dead Cells, in the lounge area or the general break room; always a good time.  

whoah----so on Caverns I just saw a amulet that is level XII with 4 points! ....but it was on Brutality while I have a Tactics build, of course.  I've never even seen an amulet like that before with 4 stat points on one thing like that...mannnn if only that could've been on Tactics just now...

HOLY SHIT I did it!!! This was insane...

• I made it to the Giant on 4 cell...but all potion charges were gone.
  • I got hit by one of the big ox looking enemies in the level so I was down to less than half health.
  • Just before the Giant fight, I switched passives to include "disengagement" for that 5-second shield if I got hit and went down to 15% or so health... which indeed happened so that shield saved me....as I was also hit into the lava area so with the invincible barrier I was able to get back to the platform....and I went on to actually kill him with 761 hp out of 5067 total. 🤣  I can't believe this shit, man.... I was already thinking like "nah this is a wrap here...there's no way..."  So, just like that, the 5th boss cell is now mine.

I was in such a panic there; disengagement shield had activated and I had nothing left; 1 more hit and obviously it would have been over....I was scrambling to do as much damage as quickly as I could before the fight got even more ridiculous, because that battle definitely gets worse as time goes on.  I had a killer synergy with 2 of my weapons/items doing 80% bonus damage to poisoned enemies, and another thing was causing poison for him.

Edited by MillionX

Few others besides me seem to care about this game at this point, I think...but I just noticed they have an update recently for V-Rising....one thing added that some wanted from the beginning---multiple floors in your castle can be built now, apparently

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqC9eSSq6YD/

well, they're still going with the Postal series, I see:

Edited by MillionX
1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

Something I saw discussed about this is that the game was in development for 10 years more or less, so that also explain the budget.

The game was en pre and production multiple times, with the project being rebooted at least 3 times during this period

Kind of like Mass Effect Andromeda. They blew most of the budget for that game before actually started development. They crunched for 18 months after wasting 48 months in the concept phase.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm sure they'll find a way to put Jinpachi's wife in the game. That or they'll be another Lars situation. Some random character will be the love child of Heihachi or maybe Kazuya.

Kazuya needs a love child to keep the family feud going. That or find a way to make Lars turn on Jin

47 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Something I saw discussed about this is that the game was in development for 10 years more or less, so that also explain the budget.

The game was en pre and production multiple times, with the project being rebooted at least 3 times during this period

If Forspeaken was in development for ten years then that would mean it would have started life as one of the tech demos that showed off the engine.

If Forspeaken was in development for ten years then that would mean it would have started life as one of the tech demos that showed off the engine.

I really wouldn't be surprised is Forespoken grew out the Agnis Philsophy tech demo, it had a really good reception when it was shown off, I remember a lot of people wishing it was a real game when they saw it. 

10 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Kazuya needs a love child to keep the family feud going. That or find a way to make Lars turn on Jin

Heiwa Mishima. Kazumi and Kazuya mean Peace, why not continue the trend. Another Mishima whose name means peace and they are anything but peaceful.

Edit: @RSG3AFAIK that's exactly what happened with Forspoken.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Kind of like Mass Effect Andromeda. They blew most of the budget for that game before actually started development. They crunched for 18 months after wasting 48 months in the concept phase.

Or Anthem, that was in "development" over 5 years just to enter into real development on the next 2 year once the actual idea of the game was finalized.

Pretty much, it seems to be the case. Supposedly this game started its life as Agni's Philosophy.

Apparently the budget was the combination of the project being in development hell, being rebooted multiple times and also having the engine being developed at the same time, like what happened with FFXV.

A good chunk of their development cycles was developing the tools and features that the engine needed for the games to function.

Apparently, like FFXV there are other versions of the game that we don't know about, I assume that after rebooting XIII Versus and scrapping the story, chars, setting, etc they were more quiet about the other versions of Forespoken.

Edited by Hecatom
Just now, RSG3 said:

I really wouldn't be surprised is Forespoken grew out the Agnis Philsophy tech demo, it had a really good reception when it was shown off, I remember a lot of people wishing it was a real game when they saw it. 

I would say that despite all of its faults, Forespoken has good ideas with its combat that I would like to see iterated on a better game.

I'm still gonna get it, I know I'll be able to find it real cheap soon so I think it will be worth it. The combat in the demo was cool if not pushed very far and I was intrigued by the set up so I'll still check it out. 

Edited by RSG3
3 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I'm still gonna get it, I know I'll be able to find it real cheap soon so I think it will be worth it. The combat in the demo was cool if not pushed very far and I was intrigued by the set up so I'll still check it out. 

I bet you could get it for free if you have the landfill were many copies were dumped near to you 😏

Double post: Just beat Metroid Prime Remaster. I had to look up 3 of the Chozo Artifacts. I couldn't remember where they where. I found the rest on my own and I got about 76% of the items. Only like 50% of the scans tho...I like the scanning but I always thought there was a little bit too much of it. Some of these could have been condensed into longer logs and had less of them for us to hunt down. Magmoor as discussed earlier kinda wears our it's welcome by the end of the game but even still it's amazing how strong Metroid Prime still is. Lot of modern adventuring games could learn a lot from it still.  With the modern twin stick controls and redone graphics this game feels like it came out last year. Just still so so good. I'm still a bigger fan of 2D Metroid but there really is no denying Prime 1. 

I hope Prime 2 gets the same upgrade treatment. Kind of have my doubts but fingers crossed anyway. 

20230321_224932.jpg

81% of the game found is pretty good for having not played in 20 years lol. 

Edit: A nit pick I have is that I would like them to patch in the option to have the heavier walk animation thats available in Classic GameCube control mode and Wii-Mote Mode for Twin Stick mode. They reduced the Bob and Sway on the Arm Canon in that control mode for some reason and it makes Samus feel kind of slippy slidey. She feels a bit better with the heavier animation imo. That's an update I would like to see in the future if they patch the game. 

Edited by RSG3

Guardians of the Galaxy definitely deserves a sequel although its unlikely. Game does almost everything right. Great story, dialogue, respectable pacing and great character development. I honestly like these versions of the Guardians more than the MCU

A few tweaks to the combat to make it less spammy and more engaging, they'd have a banger on their hands. They've crafted a fine world, story, just need little things to push it over the edge, hate to see it go to waste

Highly recommended if you like Marvel or just a well told story with likeable, nuanced characters. Plus its only about $20-30

6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Double post: Just beat Metroid Prime Remaster. I had to look up 3 of the Chozo Artifacts. I couldn't remember where they where. I found the rest on my own and I got about 76% of the items. Only like 50% of the scans tho...I like the scanning but I always thought there was a little bit too much of it. Some of these could have been condensed into longer logs and had less of them for us to hunt down. Magmoor as discussed earlier kinda wears our it's welcome by the end of the game but even still it's amazing how strong Metroid Prime still is. Lot of modern adventuring games could learn a lot from it still.  With the modern twin stick controls and redone graphics this game feels like it came out last year. Just still so so good. I'm still a bigger fan of 2D Metroid but there really is no denying Prime 1. 

I hope Prime 2 gets the same upgrade treatment. Kind of have my doubts but fingers crossed anyway. 

20230321_224932.jpg

81% of the game found is pretty good for having not played in 20 years lol. 

Edit: A nit pick I have is that I would like them to patch in the option to have the heavier walk animation thats available in Classic GameCube control mode and Wii-Mote Mode for Twin Stick mode. They reduced the Bob and Sway on the Arm Canon in that control mode for some reason and it makes Samus feel kind of slippy slidey. She feels a bit better with the heavier animation imo. That's an update I would like to see in the future if they patch the game. 

You do have the option for motion with twin sticks but its buried in the options apparently.  Its not as free aim as the wii mote controls but its a nice compromise.