Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

11 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Why is it these smaller, and idie like companies can churn out beautiful 2D fighters but this big companies like Capcom find that 2d art is way too time consuming and expensive?

I'm sure it's a logistical reason behind it, but still, SNK and Capcom games lost alot of charm in their transition to 3D

From what I understand, Capcom doesn't even have any 2D artists in their employ anymore.  I'm pretty sure it's also a matter of effort and the difference in cons/pros between 3D and 2D animation.   2D animation does have way more charm and stylization to it but it's not as easy to go in and adjust frames on moves like with 3D.  Then also gotta factor in that it's also way easier to sell and make alternate costumes for characters in 3D vs 2D.  I mean really...Arc Sys Works I believe has the best of both worlds currently with the way they have their stuff set up and they're only getting better and better at it as time moves on.  I think it'd be really interesting if Capcom tried to go that route with their next game but I don't even think they're willing to put the effort to try it out or even have the resources to try to copy Arc Sys.

Honestly, all of that makes sense to me. And I second that notion about Arc, kinda wish Capcom would outsource the graphics to Arc or some other company while they focus on gameplay for SF6 (which I heard sucked btw so they started development over).

I like SF5 graphically but I think it's time for a new direction, or maybe lean back into that anime direction like the SFA games had. The games feel kinda soulless these days, lacking in that top notch presentation they used to be known for

6 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Honestly, all of that makes sense to me. And I second that notion about Arc, kinda wish Capcom would outsource the graphics to Arc or some other company while they focus on gameplay for SF6 (which I heard sucked btw so they started development over).

I like SF5 graphically but I think it's time for a new direction, or maybe lean back into that anime direction like the SFA games had. The games feel kinda soulless these days, lacking in that top notch presentation they used to be known for

Personally I don't have an issue with SF5 graphically either and I thought it was incredibly impressive when it was first shown especially in terms of the lighting.  My only issue I've had with SFV that became increasingly apparent was the gameplay and how each character plays especially in comparison to range of ways to play with Ultra 4.  Like when Sako played Evil Ryu you knew it was him because barely anybody played Evil Ryu like he did...that was his Evil Ryu.  I don't get that feeling watching gameplay for 5...everyone feels very samey.  The game gameplay wise is also too strict with the way how the combo system works which also is another facet of what I was saying earlier in regards to Sako's Evil Ryu.  I'm not even saying SFV's gameplay is bad or anything...It's was just disappointing.  I'm hoping the skill ceiling gets raised back up for 6 whenever that is.

yep kinda the same here... I first heard of it when someone here posted a clip about a page or 2 ago....and the game was just coming out then.  This one just kinda showed up out of nowhere.

With weapon durability... I like this concept they went with of the weapon having a final, flashy/powerful attack when it finally breaks.

Edited by MillionX
22 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Its interesting to me to see consoles be treated more like computers now.  Folk changing storage drives to gain minor fps boosts and fuckin' with cmos shit and whatever else.  Eventually y'all gonna be swapin' out RAM and other shit...

Its more like the line being blurred more and more, Since the Xbox One and PS4 Consoles being using PC CPUs (a custom AMD APU).
The PS5 and Xbox Series SX uses an AMD Ryzen Zen 2 APU with features that only now start appearing on the newer Zen 3 CPUs that allows for the 4th Gen PCIe support on newer 4th Gen M.2 SSDs. 

The only real difference is the OS inside. Sony uses their own OS (loosely based on Linux) while Microsoft has been using a version of Windows since the original Xbox.

Its why I am now more of a PC gamer than a Console gamer. Throw in Emulation and you for a 30+ year back catalog of games to peruse. Plus PC allows you to use mods, the fan community will fix which the devs will not. 
Some people like the ease and out-of-the-box use of a console, some people want the power user and customization aspects of PC.

As for swapping ram.
You would be able to if the ram wasn't soldered on board, like an Apple Mac Book and some cheaper Windows or Chrome Laptops.
I think the PS5 and Xbox Series SX used GDDR5 instead of DDR4 for some reason (avoiding bottle necks). 

The Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, PS3 and GameCube had Cmos Batteries. The OG Xbox had a Super capacitor for their Clock/Cmos (most modders now pull this cap as it will leak if it hasn't already).

Also you don't change out the drive from HDD to SSD to gain FPS boosts, but for shorter load times in games.
I already done that with my PS3, I took the 500 GB Hard Drive out and put in a 1TB SSD and the load times are much quicker.
How much so, well you will hit a brick wall with total speeds, as the PS3's HDD bay was never intended to go that fast, but you will run at it's max speed instead of waiting for that Hard drive to spin up and seek all the files on disk. Even on even older systems you eliminate the seek time entirely (my modded Dreamcas, Saturn and Game Cube now boots games off MicroSD or SSDs).  

Example on the PS5 Spider-Man Miles Morales load times are so fast you don't get the subway cut scenes for fast travel unless you click to have them on in the game opinions. On the PS4, the Subway scenes are your load screens for fast travel.

Edited by DarkSakul

@DarkSakulConsoles uses GDDR6 memory. Bandwidth is more important than latency on consoles. DDR4 & DDR5 are more suited for general purpose use. The bandwidth is much lower but the latency is significantly better. It's why its the memory type used for PCs. It's better suited for non gaming tasks. You could use DDR4/5 but you'd either need a really wide bus to boost the bandwidth. Well you could also use a large pool of cache or embedded RAM on the GPU too. Similar to what AMD has done with the Radeon 6000 series GPUs. They are have much lower bandwidth than Geforce 3000 series but they have huge pools of cache to make up the difference.  An RX 6900XT only has 512GB/s of bandwidth but it has 128MB of cache. This allows it to go toe to toe in rasterization performance with a RTX 3090 with GDDR6X and 936GB/s bandwidth.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
4 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Epic fucked around and found out 

Apple is petty as fuck. Epic should know this. A few years ago, Apple was suing Samsung while Samsung was the sole supplier of the SoC in the Iphone. They literally cut their nose off to spite their face. Samsung jacked up the price of the SoC by 20% in response and Apple had to hold that L. You don't sue the company that's fabbing the chips in your most lucrative product 🤣 

TLDR; Apple has shown in the past that they are willing to lose money to spite another company.

6 hours ago, MillionX said:

yep kinda the same here... I first heard of it when someone here posted a clip about a page or 2 ago....and the game was just coming out then.  This one just kinda showed up out of nowhere.

With weapon durability... I like this concept they went with of the weapon having a final, flashy/powerful attack when it finally breaks.

Playing the demo now, gives me DMC vibes, albeit not as a big budget the game still looks good and plays well, even has that witch time feature when u dodge at the right time from Bayonetta . For $30, seems like this is worth a dive 

Edited by HD-Man
12 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

My bad. I knew it was GDDR but I though it was 5 not 6

I kinda gloss over the GDDR6 explanation too 

Not a big deal. Only reason I know is because I was following the RX 6000 and RTX 3000 series closely. I was trying to figure out why the PS5 has lower bandwidth than RX 6800, PS5 uses 14GB/s GDDR6 vs 16GB/s GDDR6 for the Radeon. So even those they have the same bus size the PS5 only has 448GB/s bandwidth. Of course by the time those GPUs are available the RX 7000 and RTX 4000 series will be released. 👀

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

They literally cut their nose off to spite their face. Samsung jacked up the price of the SoC by 20% in response and Apple had to hold that L. You don't sue the company that's fabbing the chips in your most lucrative product

and now they have their own chips just to flip the bird to Sammy and Intel

21 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'd be wary of getting a below spec drive. Games aren't really hitting the PS5 SSD that hard now. The only game that remotely does is Ratchet & Clank. You are leaving yourself open to having future issues for $50 at most.

After looking into it some more I don't think Ratchet & Clank relies as heavily on the SSD as they claim it does.  The showcases before release were pretty misleading.  I don't really think using a slightly slower (still pcie 4.0) drive is going to make much of a difference, even in the long run.

6 hours ago, misterBee said:

After looking into it some more I don't think Ratchet & Clank relies as heavily on the SSD as they claim it does.  The showcases before release were pretty misleading.  I don't really think using a slightly slower (still pcie 4.0) drive is going to make much of a difference, even in the long run.

You maybe right, but for me it's not worth the paltry savings to take the chance. The first gen version of the drive I bought, the VP4100, is $45 cheaper than the VP4300 I purchased. That's not enough of a savings for me to take the risk. Especially when we are at the beginning of the generation and games haven't even begun to tap into the potential of the PS5's SSD setup. I rather risk getting burned for $45 than have to buy a whole new drive later on. Small price to pay for my peace of mind.

Edit: Actually it's only a $30 difference🤔

VP4100

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W588KMQ/ref=twister_B07W7KQF8C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

VP4300

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YZ5V3DD/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A26PVB3960EU85&psc=1

Edited by Darc_Requiem

ok yeah, whoever designed some of these levels in Blood Rayne is a PURE asshole man.  I'm not sure how this one I'm on now is even possible... as usual in a hellish platformer kind of situation...there is no ground, of course. (*There has never been a time where I enjoy this kind of platforming design, btw....it's just stressful and not at all fun.)  I'm in an area where the only thing to get you through are the flying enemies hovering in certain areas.  Your only option here is to do the stomp/jump move to "bounce" off them to get across this large bottomless pit area.  However, between each stack of the flying enemies...you have a large circular saw moving up and down.  If at any point you touch the saw blade, it's over since that knocks you down...and she CAN'T recover in mid-air....so it's a guaranteed death every time when that happens.  Each stack of the flying enemies is only 2....so you just have those 2 chances to get past each circular saw....once you've jumped on the 2, there's nothing left so you are falling to your death if you didn't use that chance to get past a saw to the next double-stack of flying enemies.  Another problem though... sometimes when you get to that next enemy duo... the saw blade is in the upward section in your face, so you CAN'T get past it when that happens.  If you go back to then jump off the lower enemy to buy time until the saw goes down... well now you're too low to get over the saw blade, and it's moving a bit too fast to dash under it...even if you do, now you probably are not in proper positioning for the next double-stack of enemies, so you die that way.

edit---aha, and on my next try I actually beat that shit... from what I've seen online, this level gets even worse later though...

Edited by MillionX
4 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

If there was somehow any doubt these things are a scam of some kind.

There is no way the fucking PS1 version of Marvel vs Capcom is anything more than 200 dollars.

That version of the game ain't even near arcade perfect IIRC.    They're just jacking up prices on shit at this point and not even thinking about the type of game or what flaws the game has.

Gamexplain is saying the latest dread report has spoilers...I"m going to read it against my better judgement.    I'll let ya'll know.

https://metroid.nintendo.com/news/metroid-dread-report-vol-8/

Edit:  It's not super spoilery but it does do a solid look at several areas you'll encounter in the game as well as enemies you'll encounter.  It also gives you tips on how to deal with some of the enemies in the areas.  It's nothing super huge imo but if you'd rather not know this info going in then don't read.

Edited by Sonichuman
2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Or just don’t? It’s like 3 weeks until game. You can hold out 

unrelated 

This is a half joke...but I would not be surprised if this happened in KH sequel.

Also what some people consider to be spoilers may not be the same thing that I think or others may consider to be a spoiler.  Some people nowadays yell "SPOILER!" on something that's either obvious or isn't something that would truly effect enjoyment of a game if you hadn't known prior.

Edited by Sonichuman

Man Star Fox on the NSO app runs too fast. It's interesting, games deffinitl y more challenging but not tooo much more so. I like it. It s fun. Just interesting. 

Anyway this was surprisingly easy to do

spacer.png

Unfortunatly my laptop doesn't have an Aux in port so I can't get audio out of the tv. I have to plug into a portable speaker or something. Bullet point to ad to the list of things I would like to have on the computer I am I hoping to buy soon.